What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4 hours ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

It looks like Val and Bill are in one of the Mk1 Crew Cabins. You need to transfer one of them (preferably Val) to the cockpit for the plane to be controllable. Just having a pilot somewhere on the vessel isn't enough; they have to be in the command pod.

Ah I was an idiot... How did I not notice they were in the crew cabins? :(

I spent a VERY long time sending many probes  to duna for a new career.

When I get there, I start sending the first one to get into an orbit for a contract.

I literally could not do it no matter how hard I tried because for the orbit they wanted, I'd get captured at 4 different points by ike.

Then the second one had the same problem.

And then a third.

Which meant inside of a NEW career, I had spent 900k on three interplanetary missions that were all ruined by a single moon that captured me no matter how hard I tried to avoid it.

I was even at a 180 degree angle with it when I made the syncronized orbit, but within 10 seconds it had calculated another capture because I'm going counter orbit to ike.

UGHHHHH

23 minutes ago, Thorn_Ike said:

Tried to get my SSTO into space. Issue is that it keeps spinning outta control once i start to leave Kerbin's atmo. 

Let's see a screenie. Guessing asymmetric thrust along one axis or another.

Edited by capi3101
corrected my grammar.

44 minutes ago, Thorn_Ike said:

Tried to get my SSTO into space. Issue is that it keeps spinning outta control once i start to leave Kerbin's atmo. 

OR you have trim enabled somehow. Hit Alt-X or whatever modifier key and x to clear trim.

What I did in KSP today was something ludicrous.Of course.

ConquerSpace-1.jpg

Not happy with the proportions, though. The Shuttle is too friggin' large, but I don't see how I could be much smaller and still carry several rovers.

I had some tourists who wanted to go to Moho. I also had a new lander that I wanted to send to Moho. It takes a lot of fuel to go to Moho.

m8XV5n9.jpg

I'd initially hoped that if I filled the tug, the lander and the passenger module's side tanks to capacity with liquid fuel I'd have enough to make the trip, but during testing it turned out to be woefully insufficient. That front module is a Mk1 tank surrounded by two layers of Mk0 tanks on radial decouplers. I've already ejected the "top layer" of 20 tanks (they were used up during my ejection burn) and will be ejecting the inner layer of 12 additional tanks during my plane change burn. I'll be keeping the central Mk1 tank for future missions.

Luckily, this ship will be leaving its lander behind at Moho which will save some weight for the return trip. That trip will also be going via Gilly rather than being a direct Moho to Kerbin hop, so it'll be far less fuel-intensive.

2 hours ago, Laie said:

ConquerSpace-1.jpg

Not happy with the proportions, though. The Shuttle is too friggin' large, but I don't see how I could be much smaller and still carry several rovers.

Von Braun would be so proud  :) 

My endeavors aren't quite so advanced yet. New GPP save and my first lunar probe lands on Iota. I got the lander's weight down to 245kg including fuel for the translunar injection plus landing w/5 science experiments :D 

hVnFerZ.png

QBa5VU0.png

(1.3.1 GPP 50% science)

Edited by Tyko

(1.3.0) Yesterday I posted a YouTube tutorial for the Alcubierre Drive mod and made a navigational document for the mod available for download. The document includes figures for the Kerbol system as well as nine of the more popular planet packs - lots of sifting through config files for the data I needed to crunch the numbers, and then crunching said numbers. Happy to be at a stopping place with that for the time being.

Other than that, it was a plane-flying day. Decided to land all three of the Auk II 8-passenger spaceplanes docked at the Kerbinport space station; aside from breaking off the ventral airbrakes on the second plane at landing, all three planes returned safely and intact to KSC 09. I then flew up an Auk VII 16-passenger spaceplane to the station, and for good measure I followed that up with an Auk VIII heavy fuel tanker spaceplane. Crunched the numbers and determined that I would have exactly 16 tourists to send back to the surface once all four of my ferry craft returned to Kerbin, so that's all the more I need parked at Kerbinport at the moment. Saving on part count and all that. 

And that was it for yesterday. Shortly before the Auk VIII docked, Laggin' Dragon made it to Mun; I'll likely be dealing with docking operations for that craft in the very near future.

This is from a few days ago, but I hadn't touched the save since this until now since I had to deal some... stupid occurrences.

The only thing to go right was getting the manufacturing facility down.

screenshot124.png

First incident was getting the launchpad down by the manufacturing facility.  Getting there wasn't too bad (near-polar surface rendezvous are super fun though).  But, things did not go as planned and the craft wasn't exactly designed for actually bringing the launchpad itself down.  So I had to touch down, do a controlled tip over, intentionally bust up the solar panels, and.. roll into almost position.

screenshot115.png

1e6screenshot117.png

a44screenshot116.png

The Raysel needed to push it the rest of the way.

screenshot125.png

Then Leeford busted up her Rovander on the drive to the base and needed Raysel to go get her. Luckily since the base was up and running, I was able to manufacture the side command seat and bolt it on.

23screenshot132.png

But now I have wandering drills.  Anyone wanna take a guess as to which mod is causing it? (possibly the same one that keeps breaking the pipeline?)

46screenshot134.png

Edited by Geonovast

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

The trick isn't to try to make the shuttle smaller, but to make the rocket bigger.

Now that you say it...
:facepalm:

(will need to weigh it down with ballast, though. Or play RSS. Let's see.)

12 hours ago, Laie said:

ConquerSpace-1.jpg

iS tHat A  Von Braun Ferry Rocket?!

On 19/10/2017 at 12:23 PM, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

Looks cool. I want to point out, though, that the idea behind my SSTO was that all of the parts meant to get the ship through Kerbin's atmosphere (wings, jet engines, oxidizer tanks, etc.) would be left behind in LKO while a central core section, optimized for space travel, would detach and continue onward. When its mission was complete, the core section would then return to the aerodynamic section and re-attach for re-entry and landing. It looks like you still have some wings attached to the core section, which would just be dead-weight in space. It also looks like you're detaching the nose in a way that can't be re-assembled.

Those wings, landing gears have very small weight... But I wanted to make an stock version of the plane, and I think that now is also better... Only one flight and rescue in low mun orbit, low minmus orbit, minmus surface, and kerbin low orbit and come back to KSC

I call it "Basroil" because I am not good inventing names, I usually give to my ships and utilitarian names. 

Album a/N3u8O will appear when post is submitted

So I can share this ship, is at KerbalX

Also, the emblem of the Basroil 7SAnJEg.png(Is a flag that you can use on your games) 

Edited by obi_juan

2 hours ago, Thorn_Ike said:

can I not just upload my screenies?

Nope. Excessive hosted screenshots was a contributing factor to a pair of forum crashes in the last few years. Imgur's not the only picture sharing option out there, but for the KSP forums it's the most popular choice. I use it.

9 hours ago, Thorn_Ike said:

Do I need imgur? can I not just upload my screenies?

The reason imgur is popular here is that it's free (unlike Photobucket, who now want $400/yr to allow "third party hosting"), gives unlimited storage, and handles embedding images very smoothly.  Just upload your image there (or create an "album" with multiple related images), then get the link to the full size image from imgur and just paste it into your posting here.  This forum will automagically embed your image and prompt you whether that's okay (alternative is to keep it as a link, which happens automatically for any link that isn't an image on imgur).