What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

18 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

Time to shoot for Pluto !!

4zKDHu2.jpg

Upper stage starts the transfer burn to Jupiter, this will throw the probe all the way out to Pluto.

bTS3xqx.jpg

The "kicker-stage" finishes the burn. The probe is actually a copy of my Saturn orbiters.

This is cool stuff! Always enjoy your designs...Just wondering, why place RCS on a probe?

Edited by Tyko

32 minutes ago, Tyko said:

This is cool stuff! Always enjoy your designs...Just wondering, why place RCS on a probe?

I am glad you like it :)

In Realism Overhaul, the probe cores dont have reaction wheels, so I need these ultra tiny RCS thrusters (0.069 kN) in order to stay on the node in case I have to do a correction burn.

Especially because the two probe engines (1.1 kN each) dont gimbal. 

cqIfekx.jpg

Here is a closer view of the probe with its kicker stage attached.

Edited by Julien Kerman

I started deploying 8 satellites in a geostationary orbit around Kerbin in one mission. 3 out of 8 are already deployed.

I guess I like calculating orbital heights for a given period, since I did just that: I defined the orbital period to be 11/8 of a Kerbin day and the periapsis to be 2863394m. I calculated the required SMA and then solved for the Apoapsis.

I'm kinda proud of that...

Oh, and I got into orbit around Duna with a gravity assist from Ike. It was in a fortunate position and it saved a bit of dV.

Edited by Delay

0eypd5H.png

Sorry for the gonzo marketing.

Our newest off-road vehicle. This car can drive anywhere. Our test drivers have taken it up mountains, climbing 53 degree inclines.
It's fast too, with a top speed of 324km/h (201MPH, 90m/s). Fueled up it has a weight just under 10k kg. It's powered by four J-20 turbojets. Electrical power is provided by two fuel cell arrays.

l8qy01X.png

Someone stole your favorite parking spot? No problem.

Driving characteristics: adjusted for rough terrain. This means it won't corner like a sports car but it won't roll over either. It's great for jumping and has RCS on board for controlling flight. Not only that ... it's actually capable of flying! Just keep an eye on your fuel gauges. No monopropellant means no control. We are proud to say we haven't installed reaction wheels.

ibU146k.png

Deserts or polar regions, the Mountain Ghosts doesn't care. The passengers won't have to either, it has excellent climate control.

The RCS balls on the corners have two purposes. They provide the attitude control but they also offer some protection to the car and occupants in case it rolls over.

qhij8d0.png

This is the trip to the carwash.

QaEib94.png

Just remember to remove the koi from the backseat when you leave. The administrator will notice when one of them is missing. He talks to them every day.

fLLjVnj.png

"Hello? Gene? It's Kelly. Kelly Kerman. You know, from hygiene management level two? Yes, the cleaning lady. Thank you, that's kind. What do you mean? Urrr ... no? Yes but ... Sorry but I need your help! Someone has parked a car on top of mine! Hello? Hello?"

dOHY0TB.png

Stay tuned for more fantastic vehicles by Lowell. A 77 Industries brand.

LIHYtmb.png

"Hello? Bob? Hi, remember me? Yes, from the party. No I'm not Brenda. It's Kelly. Yes I know my voice sounds the same. Well, you know ... I've got freckles down there, Brenda has not. Ohw you don't remember. What's Romulan Ale? Oh I see. Hey can you help me? I just wanna go home. I can't. Gene has parked his car on top of mine!"

Download link.

6 minutes ago, Julien Kerman said:

I am glad you like it :)

In Realism Overhaul, the probe cores dont have reaction wheels, so I need these ultra tiny RCS thrusters (0.069 kN) in order to stay on the node in case I have to do a correction burn.

Especially because the two probe engines (1.1 kN each) dont gimbal. 

cqIfekx.jpg

Here is a closer view of the probe with its kicker stage attached.

Makes total sense when you lack magic torque wheels  :)  I've sometimes used RCS for comms satellite constellations in which I'm trying to match orbital periods between the sats.

I spent some time over the weekend making a spaceplane into a Munar lander.  Well, actually, it's (intended as) a single-stage from LKO, Munar landing and return vessel.  Newly invented landing gear (for landing back on Kerbin) and newly invented landing struts for vertical landing on the Mun.  Added a couple hundred more units of Lf/O too, of course -- takes some dV to get from orbit down to the Munar surface and then back up to orbit.  And since I started with the existing Munar orbit taxi, I have two extra seats -- one for the scientist the contract calls for, and one for a respawned pilot (Adeny) who needs some retraining (who knew respawned pilots lost all their experience?).

It is year 57, day 355 of the Kerbal Space Age, and the Sixth Interplanetary Expedition prepares to land on Eve!

-----

Previously:

- The Sixth leaves Kerbin
- The Sixth is hit by a Kraken
- The Sixth arrives at Eve, Seeald gets a Rover
- The Sixth rescues the Second
- The Sixth refuels at Gilly

-----

The mothership is in the low (150x150 km) Eve orbit. Hilne and Gilrie Kerman say their last farewells to the Kerbals they rescued - the crew of four remaining from the Second Interplanetary, Megalla the contract victim and Jananne the scientist (who, in the end, decided that she is not yet ready to spend the remainder of her life on Eve).

il3uoNR.jpg

Kerbal Spaceship Sanly Kerman - our lab shuttle - undocks and begins the deorbit burn. 

eRe1eiU.jpg

Target: the peninsula where Seeald Kerman is.

2Q4rFTv.jpg

...Oh dear. What can i say. Eve in 1.3.1 is brutal. Trying to land an old (1.2) MK3 shuttle on it with 100% heating is an exercise in futility. Fireworks in the atmosphere start at 75 km, but at 50-55 km there's a layer that hits you like a brick in the face. Enter it at a wrong angle, or with a wrong speed, and you're toast in seconds. I mean, as in 2600K-proof MK3 parts overheating and exploding in seconds. 

tGforcU.jpg

So, what was the solution two brave Kerbettes devised? A rather counterintuitive one. Plunging into the 50-km layer directly prograde means death sentence. So I pitched the shuttle up 50-60 degreees and, when the heat spiked, started to frantically turn side to side, attempting to do barrel rolls and the like to expose other side of the craft to the airstream and bleed off speed.

DqWx2KI.jpg

...THIS. IS. KERBIN!!! 

V8HswzD.jpg

...Some stuff still exploded, but the airframe remained intact. They made it through.

YWd2EdY.jpg

Meawhile, down at the surface Seeald is awake at night, anticipating the first meeting with another living kerbal after more than 50 years he spent here at Eve. At the dawn, he sets towards the shuttle which landed 58 km away from him near the coast.

R0h4XdP.jpg

A couple of long days later, it happens. Oh, the joy, the sadeness, the SCIENCE! 

kp3Yja8.jpg

Seeald, Hilne and Gilrie are united. Their mission is to establish the first permanent Kerbal colony on Eve.

As for the Sixth Interplanetary? Well, it's heading back to Kerbin. To say that the rescued crew who spent half a century orbiting Eve are fed up with this purple ball would be... an understatement.  

Edited by Haruspex

After spending years away from home and establishing surface bases and space stations around Ike and Duna, the original Duna expedition crew, the first Kerbals to leave Kerbin's SOI, are coming home.

tAy5Gvx.jpg

In other news, my tourist bus has arrived at Moho.

oqlcfuC.png

They're still in a highly eccentric orbit around the planet (to lower the dV costs of their plane-change manoeuvre) and it'll be a week before they're in position to make their rendezvous burn with the Moho Fuel Depot (where they'll take on the oxidizer they need to land) but at least they're safely captured within Moho's SOI. Moho captures take a lot of fuel, and even though I'd tested this flight before I launched it I was still worried about running out while still on an escape trajectory and stranding the tourists on a solar orbit.

After months in the making (literally, because of real life interruptions), I finally put Bug-Drop-1 down on Duna. This coincided with a relay satellite constellation mission and a SCANsat mission, all happening at Duna, one after another in preparation. With everything all set and ready to go, I picked a nice landing site to drop the bugs (4 little rovers)... kind of equidistant to the anomalies. The landing went fine.
Tl2mWpz.png

Then it came time to send the bugs out crawling. I sent one North and stopped for a rest after 5km. I sent another South, same deal. Then I send one West, and a mere few hundred meters from the ship it hits a damned seam on Duna's surface and flips. One down. Grrrrr. So I sent the Eastbound due bug out West as well, to check out what happened with the damned seam. Bad idea. Being extra careful didn't matter, it flipped too. GRRRRR. :mad:
qUu7WoN.png

To put icing on this cake, I return to the lander to find that it's ever so slowly sliding downhill... I didn't use landing legs, so I'll suppose that's the reason. :huh:

Did some playing around with my newly released BFR cargo. Dropped off a 74ton payload on the moon with full re-usability, no re-fueling in-situ. Left kerbin from highly eccentric orbit and full tanks after re-fueling in kerbin orbit. Had just enough fuel for the journey home.  

26282075019_a3fbca22da_b.jpg

26282087189_498fb98e63_b.jpg

38005074546_14c840b7ac_b.jpg

38005087256_bec6172af8_b.jpg

38058507661_be522d2131_b.jpg

24206125608_4f2d46cdcb_b.jpg

Today I brought the Venus Station crew back home! Course correction 50 days before SOI switch:

HLtJwF1.jpg

50 days later:    Jeb: "Alright guys lets get ready for reentry!"

sdgAPDv.jpg

Service Module Explosion:

u1RoOK9.jpg

Here we go! Everything looks fine!

O5Tr06y.jpg

Bob: "The heatshield survived, we are almost down":

0mJOKdD.jpg

Splashdown in invisible water :confused: and contract completed!

shw8uuD.jpgFjuarMo.jpg

Mission Inputs: Mission Outputs:
:funds:3.5 Million :funds:5.7 Million
around 800 Science 380 Science
Lots of time One giant adventure

Mission accomplished! My goal was to send a crewed mission to Venus and bring them back until the end of the 1980's.

The next step is obviously Mars ^^. The Mars program is already in its developing phase.

I've had the game for about 5 years. I don't think I bought it before the date that I get the free expansion, but I got it pretty close after that. I have posted under another name, and lost that log in and have not posted here for a couple of years.

Anyway, after 5 years..... I finally landed on Duna and returned to Kerbin. With several "refueling" stops at Ike to power the journey home. I took 3 kerbals (pilot, scientist, and engineer) with me. I got 4000 science from that trip by restoring the science modules and of course making sure I took science from every biome I hit.

It took several hours, maybe at least 10 in playing time. There were a lot of restarts because of some kind of screwup .... with the design or with decisions I made along the way.

But, I made it!!