What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

No pretty pictures, since I've been working mostly on setting up relays at several nearby bodies (Moon, Mars, Venus) and tweaking my launchers for better efficiency.

Also started working on launchers that can carry more than 100tons to Low Earth Orbit.  So far it's been difficult to do it cheaply, but hopefully I can get the costs down to a reasonable amount.

Oh, and I built a Space Shuttle.  Costs way too much money to be useful and has a very low payload fraction... but it made it to orbit after a sketchy ascent, so I'm pleased about that, at least.

Launched cargo without tug, it reminded my all reasons why I kept sending new tug with each delivery...

FsipjAQ.png

... left cyclotron at 0m/s relative while low-g lander slowly and carefully docked itself, phantom forces accelerated it away, luckily my tugs are more than capable of chasing runaway cargo...

QJnhL77.png

...of course this event took sizable bite out of their monoprop, but bow section of hive have 4x1200 supply of juice for worker drones :) 

Multi-year life support? ☑

Swarm of drones? ☑

Over 6k delta-V with full cargo? ☑

TWR > 0.2? ☑

Part Count < 200? ☑ (excluding drones and cargo hidden in Hangar)

Reusable science lander? ☑

Rover? ☐ 

Station-Science modules? ☐ (3/4)

Station-Science Experiments? ☐

bunch of orbital science stuff? ☐

Edited by PT

Finally had the triumphant return of my DSEV-04, bringing back 10 kerbals from taking the first steps on Eeloo.  Jeb was too good for the automated crew shuttle though, so had to fly himself down on the only remaining interface vehicle - a tiny spaceplane, the Laythe by Xyphos from KerbalX.  

Pictures will go up later, forgot to upload them earlier & I'm on a different computer now.

KQo8XD6.png

gJQRGDo.png

83xDQo7.png

And apparently I didn't get any shots of Jeb's reentry, just of the crew shuttle leaving the powered down DSEV-04:

gb6DZgC.png

A big thanks to Angel125 for the DSEV mod. 

Edited by Cavscout74
Added images

Failed to perform a plane change at Jupiter. 6km/s required and the moons are too tiny to provide significant deflection...

DpV70Mw.jpg

Fortunately the science team has been busy at Aries station and many new technologies have become available since Ambler I was launched two years ago! Rather than perform another 15 Ganymede flybys over 3 years, mission control signs off the development of Ambler II, which will arrive sooner than Ambler I would have managed to finish its manoeuvres, packs more science, and should be capable of visiting all the moons.

74NUVQL.jpg

And after seven long years, the Aries crew finally get to board their shuttle home.

ne2bdPI.jpg

On the whole, the Starswan handles the descent rather well, surviving aerobraking at 3km/s and holding an aggressive posture throughout. She gets a little squirrelly during the final approach, but Shatner pumps the remaining fuel to the forward tank and it quickly settles out. A few minor course corrections later, and the Starswan's wheels are rumbling along the tarmac to a safe halt.

In other news, the torrent of data from the Jovian system has made mission control realise that they have nowhere to send it... clearly an Earth-orbit station is required.

So I'm working on the Voyagers 4 and 5 right now. Voyager 4 is a Sarnus orbiter. And 5 is a Jool and Urlum fly-by mission. here is a screenshot of Voyager 4 and its Atlas IIII first stage falling away.

U5StlER.png

Voyager 5 is on its way to Jool now. And Voyager 4 is going to be in Sarnus orbit soon. More info on them will come later. (They will be in an edit so i don't flood the page with posts. :P)

So now Voyager 4 has arrived and is now orbiting Sarnus. here is a couple pictures of it just before orbital insertion, and another of it on an Eeloo fly-by.

M2rYMVp.jpg

MZaPek3.jpg

:D

Now, voyager 5 arrives around its jool assist. And will arrive around Urlum in a looooong time. some 45 years.

FUvg8OP.png

Edited by X Sonic Pro X

I have missions running out to every planet at this point. Mostly SCANsats with relay constellations, preparations for the manned missions to follow. I've manned missions underway for Duna, Dres, and Eeloo currently. So, while I'm waiting.....

I built and successfully flew the Zebra-Shuttle, used to ferry crew to/from my space station 'Ice Station Zebra' ... from the movie. It's a monstrosity. Docking the shuttle was a chore, not to my liking, but I made it. The return home was a breeze, as it handled reentry no problems at all. It even glides quite nicely.

I also put the finishing touches on a passenger plane, akin to a 737 (I suppose). It's a big hulking thing. Flies like a house, but real stable, and lands easy. The empty dry run went well. I'm contemplating a 'heavy' test next.

Pictures will follow.

I have successfully assembled my awesomest interplanetary stack yet, IMO. More than 4km/s in there without nukes, courtesy of using the lander as the propulsion section. Incidentally, said lander is a Vega, meaning it can land anywhere but Eve... and it also has the ability to land a small emergency refinery, too, or one of the ore tanks. In other words, in an emergency the lander can work as both a miner and tanker, making this a potential Grand Tourer on its own.

LCRZJnA.png

Other interesting stats of the assembly:

-About ten or eleven separate ~50mT launches. In the future it will be ten or less, but I was faffing around with how to package that ring efficiently. All done with reusable chemical SSTOs.

-318 parts in total, divided among 31 independent pieces docked to each other, some no more than eight part ring sections, or five part fuel tanks. Also a few commsats to establish a local network linked back to kerbin.

-All pieces were delivered inside a Mk3 payload bay, except the lander, which SSTOed itself. No space littering was conducted during the making of this pic.

-More dockings than I care to remember, most of them with <0.1º tolerance. Lots of double-docks in the tankage section, the Klaw Pod sure earned its keep!

-About 300mT IMLKO. dV without staging any tanks is ~4.2km/s, ~1.2 before refining any ore, TWR at the first burn is 0.3.

Rune. I am mighty pleased with myself for pulling this off so smoothly. :)

13 hours ago, X Sonic Pro X said:

Wonder what went wrong here...

To be honest, nothing went wrong. This was just an abort test. I wanted to check.....

-If the abort action group works correctly

-How fast I can leave the pad in case of an emergency

-If the acceleration is not too dangerous

-If I can deploy chutes in time (before I hit the ground again)

-How high and in which direction the Launch Escape System throws me

58 minutes ago, Julien Kerman said:

To be honest, nothing went wrong. This was just an abort test. I wanted to check.....

-If the abort action group works correctly

-How fast I can leave the pad in case of an emergency

-If the acceleration is not too dangerous

-If I can deploy chutes in time (before I hit the ground again)

-How high and in which direction the Launch Escape System throws me

ahhh gotcha.

Brazil 2.5x adventures continue:

Placed optical/biome scan sats in polar orbits over Earth and the Moon. After that I landed what I'm officially calling the "cutest little lander evvaaaah!!" on the Moon. Playing at 2.5x is really forcing me to think lean on craft design and I'm loving the challenge.

HjagWoY.png

PshQkUA.png

Additional pix if you're interested:

Spoiler

QTEz5K7.png

GcJ52Cg.png

gxjl235.png

hTiXQ29.png

Edited by Tyko

14 minutes ago, X Sonic Pro X said:

hmm.. @Tyko Is there a mod that re scales planets? or do you have to code it yourself? Just wondering about that.

"there's a mod for that" - @Sigma88 wrote Sigma Dimensions which provides the underlying code to enable rescaling. Then you add a set of configs to tell Sigma what to do. @Galileo wrote an excellent series of Rescale configs for various sizes : 2.5, 3.2, 6.4, 10 and10.625.

That's all you need if you want to rescale the Stock solar system.

For my game I used SSRSS combined with RSS to get a Stock-Sized Real Solar System and scaled that up to 2.5x - essentially giving me a quarter-sized real solar system. If you want to try this, I suggest starting at the SSRSS page as Galileo provides complete instructions for adding all the mods.

I chose to use a custom 2.5x setup borrowing heavily from Galileo's work, but with many tweaks of my own. The biggest difference is that I moved the KSC to the equator in Northern Brazil so launches start at 0.0 degrees inclination. If you want to try my configs for 2.5x I'm happy to share those.

Edited by Tyko

2 minutes ago, X Sonic Pro X said:

I'm not exactly that great at code... but thanks for the help anyways.:P

You don't have to write anything if you don't want to. Everything I referenced above is already written and you just have to follow the instructions for installing it...my "coding" is just editing some text files. I leave it to experts to write real code  :)

I figured all this out by reading on here and asking a lot of questions. If you want to try it I'm happy to help you. Just PM me and we can work on it together.

11 hours ago, Rune said:

I have successfully assembled my awesomest interplanetary stack yet, IMO. More than 4km/s in there without nukes, courtesy of using the lander as the propulsion section. Incidentally, said lander is a Vega, meaning it can land anywhere but Eve... and it also has the ability to land a small emergency refinery, too, or one of the ore tanks. In other words, in an emergency the lander can work as both a miner and tanker, making this a potential Grand Tourer on its own.

LCRZJnA.png

Other interesting stats of the assembly:

-About ten or eleven separate ~50mT launches. In the future it will be ten or less, but I was faffing around with how to package that ring efficiently. All done with reusable chemical SSTOs.

-318 parts in total, divided among 31 independent pieces docked to each other, some no more than eight part ring sections, or five part fuel tanks. Also a few commsats to establish a local network linked back to kerbin.

-All pieces were delivered inside a Mk3 payload bay, except the lander, which SSTOed itself. No space littering was conducted during the making of this pic.

-More dockings than I care to remember, most of them with <0.1º tolerance. Lots of double-docks in the tankage section, the Klaw Pod sure earned its keep!

-About 300mT IMLKO. dV without staging any tanks is ~4.2km/s, ~1.2 before refining any ore, TWR at the first burn is 0.3.

Rune. I am mighty pleased with myself for pulling this off so smoothly. :)

How evil of you to make me less proud of my creation ';..;'

Edited by PT
aahh double post...