What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I halt my efforts on strapping massive rover trains onto VTOLS and strapping those VTOLS onto rockets, and actually try flying outside Kerbin's SOI:P Nothing eventful happened though I did get some nice-ish screenshots. For my first second third attempt at interplanetary travel, I think I'm getting the hang of it!

3cdc33cbb12d21726034c2ff5dc30078.png

b31802bb94226cb40152c93f265e7609.png

6f6ebc17c4ee619ce545b4c5fa32b563.png

And with more than half the fuel remaining, I think I've found my new service module for interplanetary craft!

@TheMadKraken2297 made a big plane.

6D6D6F6D9B38FA029FB26F08C5B8CD779CB4A8DB

I wanted to beat that in friendly competition. So I built a bigger one.

wXENgM9.png

Almost 1200 parts, takes up most of the SPH, uses 72 engines, and can carry 2311 kerbals (normally. For the challenge this will be entered in, it would be closer to 3600). Also makes my computer run like crap. FPS is around maybe 3 or 4.

Edited by qzgy

I know no one is interested in these things, but couldn't resist to post.

Here goes Propeller-Nerv SSTO. No other kind of engines/propulsion used.

Album https://imgur.com/a/xTCoY will appear when post is submitted

So, what engine do you need to get to orbit?

Nervs!

Now, SSTO is possible only with Nerv engines. Technically, propeller is not an in-game engine, so...

It can be improved further by improving the propellers, adding more Nerv engines and wet wings. For now, too many parts of it is infrastructures like fairings and cargo bay.

I made a big plane. 

6D6D6F6D9B38FA029FB26F08C5B8CD779CB4A8DB

@qzgy Made a bigger one.

wXENgM9.png

And I am about to engage in a game of one-up man ship.

https://giphy.com/gifs/disney-the-lion-king-nMUyUw9Xp80fK?utm_source=media-link&utm_medium=landing&utm_campaign=Media Links&utm_term=https://www.google.com/

Edited by TheMadKraken2297

17 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Who will fry their computer first? :D

I know I still have a decent buffer (~600 parts or so) before my computer becomes unbearable. But those giant composite wings eat up part count fast.

So, today i finished one of the most incredible and most dangerous mission that i made in the game. This mission was to send a unmanned scientific probe to one of the Eve's oceans. It was to be a normal interplanetary mission, but when i start to burn to make a orbit arround Eve, the problems started to appear.

eOhIf5m.pngThis is the probe, the Kenera 3.

I made a mistake in not make a aerocapture to get me in orbit of Eve, that would save a lot of Δv. Instead, i made a burn to get me in orbit, that spended over half of the fuel of the orbiter stage . So, when i finaly made a (high eliptic) orbit, i made a drastic decision: Lower my periapsis to below of the Eve's atmosphere height, and slowly, reduce the heigt of the apoapsis untill the land be viable.

aZVTat4.pngThe probe in one of the aerobrakings.

So, after a lot of aerobrakes and 2 or 3 (maybe more) bugs that, for my happiness, decreased drastically  my apoapsis, the landing became viable. So, deorbited the probe, and separeted for the orbiter stage.

fGiaYlm.pngThe probe, separated from the orbiter stage.

So i entered in the atmosphere of Eve, with NO ablator (all the ablator gone in the aerobrakings), but i managed to survive.

13PvBMr.pngThe probe in the atmosphere of Eve.

tvYYvp4.pngFalling...

CNwpAhg.pngSemi-deployment of the parachutes...

ZISG62V.pngFull deployment of the parachutes.

mNS78V1.pngThe probe, "landed' on the Eve's Explodium Sea.

HxjY0dT.png

And the journey of the probe ends, giving to me over 1.800 science points, allowing to me unlock more 2 node of the Tech Tree. Now i have just 2 nodes left to complete the Tech Tree. :D

15 minutes ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Redesigned my Munar landers for more delta-V... since MechJeb's landing autopilot is currently on the fritz.

Tell me about it!

Me: I need to land this fuel tank next to my Munbase, I'll use mechjeb to save a bit of time.

Mechjeb: Okay dokay! Let's put it down in this random place, via the side of a mountain!

On top of that I had to land my largest space station via Hyperedit after a glitched docking board led to it becoming one with the crew change shuttle, the KSS Discovery, which was left dangling off the side of the larger machine for all time, like a horny angler fish.

On the plus side, it did remind me of a verse in TISM's 'Everyone Else Has Had More Sex Than Me'.

Lugged this thing up to low Earth orbit to provide somewhere to send all the probe science I've been gathering.

gECEqhF.png

Forgot to put any crew on it... supply mission required :blush:

Edit: wow, compression has ruined the blacks on this image... blame imgur for that one!

Edited by eddiew

18 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Today I One-Upped @qzgy

Downloaded hangar extender and tweakscale to help me. Gonna lose that one up real soon. Already started work on a 5 wide triple high one :P No pics sadly, but I'll try to get them soonish

Gonna release both at the same time maybe

Edit: Pictures, as promised

A2gBpI6.png

Edited by qzgy

36 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Downloaded hangar extender and tweakscale to help me. Gonna lose that one up real soon. Already started work on a 5 wide triple high one :P No pics sadly, but I'll try to get them soonish

Gonna release both at the same time maybe

Just installed those too. I'm gonna have fun- also downloaded Airplane Plus for the challenge :)

Today I encountered my first Kraken.  Just achieved LKO, staged a fairing... and the craft disintegrated.  I didn't even get an explosion.  A few pieces did survive, hurling into deep space at roughly 3c.

Nobody was on board, but it was a fuel pod being sent to give a helping hand to a pair of dumb-dumbs who flew a plane to the Mun and didn't bring enough fuel to get back.

screenshot93.png

RO/RSS/RP-0

Put my first 2 sats in orbit around the Moon. One in a polar orbit and one in a standard orbit. Nathan's tutorials part 11 and 12. I also did the sat mission where I use the Moon to escape Earth but ran out of electricity and could not complete the last experiment outside Earth's SOI. Oh well.....pretty successful day really. Next up..... part 13 Spy sats :) Really enjoying the tutorials and the whole RO/RSS experience. Definitely harder than regular Kerbal but I am learning a lot. I will be a lot better off for doing this, I can see that now.