What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Doing my first geostationary satellite network deployment.  Still have to get the apoapsis right and zero out the inclination.  I'm trying to get the best possible network without just spamming to death.  I like efficiency... 

Fo0YBKJ.png

And here's one of the sats fully deployed: 

901eaCe.png

Rescued 5 kerbals in one mission and launched part one of a Kerbol science misson/space station contract combo station. 

Being able to rescue 5 in a shuttle originally designed for rescuing 1 and still landing at KSC with loads of fuel also showed me how inefficient my designs are....

7 hours ago, ptr421 said:

Crashed into the Moon while trying to do a Surveyor style landing. Turns out if you disable fuel supply from the tank it kills the engines for good and they can't be restarted again. Ever. 

It's more likely you had no electrical power left. I turn engines on and off, and tanks on and off, all the time.

New plane! Cessna Citation Sovereign

yGbSAmB.jpg

WTynF78.jpg

MUFT6xd.jpg

In an attempt to make the plane as mathematically correct as possible, I spent about 30 minutes putting numbers into a calculator to make this as close to the actual weight, length, width, and engine power as possible. It's 136% scale, so 136% more everything. it flies like a beast. Made it to the abandoned airport and back (in 10.625x) in 1 hour 12 minutes. Really slow takeoff speed of around 41 m/s, can fly in excess of 220 m/s at 6.8 - 9.1 km up.

edit: after looking at the picture, I realized the wings are waaaaay too far forward, I altered them and pushed them back, as well as tuning the engine's angle (If you look at a real picture, the engines are angled a little bit)

Edited by TheKorbinger

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

It's more likely you had no electrical power left. I turn engines on and off, and tanks on and off, all the time.

I think he plays Realism Overhaul (because he was going to the moon) and lost all of his ignitions.

Last night I nearly finished construction on the Hyperion Orbital Constructor Station

EPL tanks and pads:

screenshot194.png345screenshot203.png

Fuel Tanks and some Konstruction! welding after sending Jeb and Bill up for maintenance:

screenshot215.pngscreenshot223.png

Strut it up!

screenshot225.png

Also started working on one of Hyperion's drilling drones for Minmus:

screenshot240.png

And today I re-did the K Prize challenge since I'd flubbed it up last time.  Docked at Hyperion, which made me wonder why I'd sent a rocket up for the maintenance instead of an Astrid.:huh:

On 12/15/2017 at 1:21 PM, LordFerret said:

wait..... how am I getting down???

WP8HPyg.png

If you had EVA Parachutes and Ejection Seats, I'd suggest base jumping...

My week got away from me again. Particularly sucks this week since I had overnights (and, consequentially, more time than usual to play).

Last Friday began with the completion of an aerial survey 950 klicks to the west of KSC in a Bad Idea 4 survey plane with pilot Tommund Kerman at the stick. After the plane returned safely to KSC 09, I took a crew report at the Minmusport space station for quick cash and then had scientist Catny Kerman transmit a crew report over Duna, again for the cash value. Next was a test of a TT-70 decoupler splashed, a job done quickly with a Lusitania 7 testing rig. I also conducted a four-waypoint surface sample survey three klicks to the east of the Deepwater Horizon refinery on Minmus, with engineer Theony doing the leg work. Most of the rest of the day involved arrivals at Duna. I re-discovered a major flaw in the design of the Nostromo 7 ore hauler, namely that it had no electrical generators or antennas, so the first craft reached Duna's SOI dead-on-arrival and I wound up terminating both Nostromo missions to the red planet. The second Boop-Boop 7 probe arrived at Duna and was put into a 625x72 equatorial orbit. Finally, the Enchova Central refinery reached its correction burn point at the ascending node to Duna, which was unfortunately too close - a mere twenty days out - to be particularly effective. The refinery's correction burn is notable, though, in that it was the last of the Duna-bound craft to make said burn.

After taking the weekend off, I had a busy day on Monday. After doing a crew report over Mun for cash, I picked up a tourist contract - my first for Duna, with tourists Sambin and Billy-Bobcas Kerman headed to Duna orbit. My first Tater Catcher 7 Light asteroid grabber probe failed to slow down in time to catch asteroid VHW-690, so I terminated the flight. I think what happened there was that I'd turned down the thrust limiter to make correction burns while the probe was still in comms range in Kerbin's SOI, but I'd forgotten to turn it back up again immediately - there was no other reason why a 1500 m/s burn would take more than an hour to perform for a probe of its mass, given the engine installed. While that burn was ongoing, however, the Ray Charles 7 telescope probe completed its mission to find six asteroids threatening Kerbin, with a reward price tag of over 800k. My second Tater Catcher 7 Light put the B-class asteroid PSA-354 into a 100x100 kilometer, 25-degree inclined LKO; the craft's mission was to put the rock into orbit of Mun and there wasn't sufficient delta-V to do so, so I made the mistake of detaching the probe from the rock with the intent of sending up a new probe to finish the job; I learned later, when I went to launch the replacement probe, that this action invalidated PSA-354 as a candidate for the mission, making it necessary to start that effin' mission over for the third time. I was definitely not happy about that and it lead to a rage quit that day.

In the meantime, though, a lot of the craft from the First Duna Expedition arrived. Enchova Central required a significant correction burn to get it on a halfway decent aerobraking trajectory but I was ultimately able to put it in a 700x60 equatorial orbit. Both of the Old Bessie 7 fuel landers arrived, with one put into a 200x60 orbit and the other put into a 700x65 orbit, with the intent being to send the second one on to Ike when the time comes. A Spamcan 7b lander arrived but I misread the approach distance (21,000 km as opposed to 21,000 m) and had to do a conventional breaking maneuver, depleting the transfer stage and completing the braking maneuver on the lander's own engines. The Dunaport space station finally arrived and was put into a 200x60 equatorial orbit. Out of fuel at that point, I went ahead and docked one of the Old Bessies and transferred the reserve fuel, allowing the station to finally settle into a final sixty-kilometer circular orbit. After the arrival of the second Heartbreak Hotel 7 outpost module into a 293x57 orbit, engineer Magster Kerman aboard Dunaport began a lengthly EVA operation to make the communications probes on her Faux News 7 craft (which had tagged a ride with Dunaport) operational, and by the end of the day the initial Dunacomm network had been established. I still have yet to finish the network.

1oANimu.png
Dunacomm Alpha detached from Dunaport. Making it a comm sat was a bit of a kludge but it still worked well enough.

Other things done on Monday included a pair of Minmus ore contracts for cash and the initiation of a 2-Kerbal Minmus tour using an Auk Ia spaceplane, with tourists Sherfrey and Dilny Kerman completing the burn for Minmus.

With Sambin and Billy-Bobcas's desired Duna tour, a need to replace the failed science lander Yokohama as well as the two Nostromos, a need to conduct some repairs and a new contract to test a small stack separator on Ike, I decided that I needed to get MSV Fat Man out to Duna on Tuesday. An Auk XI 10-passenger plane carried Sambin, Billy-Bobcas and eight KSC pilots to the Kerbinport space station, where the plane refueled before moving on to Fat Man. A KAS storage unit dubbed It's Lead Lined 7 was designed and sent up to Fat Man, followed by a new Nostromo craft (with antennae and RTGs added) and a follow up probe to ILL 7 dubbed Dammit 7 (so called because I forgot to stow a small stack seperator aboard ILL 7 at launch). A smaller version of the Exxon Valdez 7a very heavy fuel module, the Exxon Valdez 7b somewhat heavy fuel module, was launched up to Fat Man; this module suffered a shearing accident when I activated Fat Man's Alcubierre Drive. Luckily it was just the transfer stage of the module that was lost; the actual paywad survived intact. With the craft's consist loaded up, Fat Man warped into a 1.6 GM circular orbit over Kerbol to await proper positioning for a final warp to Duna - which took about three in-game weeks all told and wasn't finished up until Thursday. Fat Man's flight cleared a contract I had to put a station around Kerbol for 800k. The day ended with several docking maneuvers at Dunaport, the landing of Enchova Central 200 meters off the target but still in a good ore zone, and the lithobreaking of one of the Heartbreak Hotel modules 800 m from the refinery; the damage to the module prevents a takeoff, so a Jiffy Lube 7 parts lander will need to be sent out at the next opportunity. Two more Tater Catcher probes were also launched to conduct asteroid intercept missions.

fKvy1ky.png
Enchova Central at landing, with the rover Malaise nearby. Malaise will need to be converted into a crane in order to get the Heartbreak Hotel hooked up to the refinery.

Wednesday was largely a designing day. In the wake of the failure of the Heartbreak Hotel's landing, I decided to re-examine the designs of the Old Bessie and Spamcan landers and determined that a redesign was in order for Duna; largely this occurred because I wasn't able to place the refinery along Duna's equator like I'd
originally hoped. A new Spamcan 7c heavy lander and Old Bessie 7a heavy fuel hauler were designed and launched to LKO:

8UpaDGm.png
Old Bessie 7a at launch. Yeah, she's a plenty heavy ship...

Fat Man will haul these craft out to Duna at the next opportunity, with the existing Duna hardware put into storage for the time being until it can be re-purposed. Most of the rest of the day was spent on a run to Minmus by tourists Sherfrey and Dilly Kerman. Their Auk Ia refueled at Kerbinport, transferred to Minmus and docked with Minmusport. Dilly went down to Deepwater Horizon, refueled and returned to the station, and then the two tourists returned to Kerbin. Aside from breaking off the plane's antenna during the initial aerobraking pass, the return to Kerbin went well and the plane returned safely to KSC 09. 

Thursday saw a new tourist run out to Mun, with Hengel and Dudlin performing a run similar to Sherfrey and Dilly's the day before. The mission was a success and both kerbals returned safely to KSC 09. Asteroid VHW-690 was finally intercepted; it will return to Kerbin's SOI in 79 days. Fat Man finally arrived at Duna and Next Objective transferred the KSC staff from the Auk XI to Dunaport after offloading its own crew onto the station. Next Objective then hauled over the Exxon Valdez 7b to the station, dropping off engineer Suus Kerman at Fat Man to perform a pair of delicate EVA jobs - to stow the stack seperator from Dammit 7 aboard ILL 7, and then to attach a pair of replacement docking ports to Fat Man; these ports replaced a pair lost during the craft's launch when the fairing was separated.

frQkRbF.png
After finishing up her repair run, Suus had to get out again to retrieve that docking port she allowed to float off of Fat Man's ventral side and get it attached to the ship; she eventually got the job done right.

The repair mission was successful - Dammit 7 was discarded and sent onto an impact course with Duna, while the ILL7 and replacement Nostromo undocked from Fat Man and made their way to Dunaport. With her job complete, Tommund took operational command of Fat Man and steered her back to Kerbin - total time of transit was nine days. The Auk XI then deorbited to return to KSC; about thirty klicks from KSC 09 I noticed the plane's stability appeared to be lacking, which was when I noticed the absence of the vertical stabilizer. An emergency landing was affected, with the plane eventually touching down gently and safely about a klick short of KSC 09, with Sambin and Billy-Bobcas becoming the first Kerbals to return from Duna. 

9BxEaCe.png
Yeah, something is definitely missing from this plane. I can't quite place my finger on it...

nrLk0qD.png
The real crapper of it is that they'll probably want to put that plane in a museum...maybe one in central Kansas, I don't know.

Yesterday was a no-play day, so I'm caught up at this point. I have a pair of new craft to haul out to Duna at this point, so Fat Man will be heading back out that way soon. I also need to land a Kerbal on the surface of Duna; I'm hoping to finish this up soon. At this point, all but three of the remaining craft of the First Duna Expedition have arrived and they are due within the next ninety days, and I'm hoping to begin operations in earnest there soon. Still am leaving Ike alone for the time being, but I'm hoping to begin setting up operations there as soon as possible.

W3mQa5A.png
Dunaport as it is right now. Docked craft are an Old Bessie lander, the two Faux News modules (one having deployed three sats), ILL 7 with the Nostromo docked to it, the two Spamcans, Yokohama II, and Exxon Valdez 7b with Next Objective docked to it.

Edited by capi3101
hit the post button too soon; needed to add screenies...

@capi3101
Well you've been busy. That Ray Charles telescope deal cracks me up every time I see it in print. Why the eccentric orbit for Boop-Boop? A purpose? Or did it just turn out that way?

I'm going to have to take a look at that mod. This afternoon I air-dropped the "Taxi" rover onto the top of the mountain... right on target... almost too on target. The ride down was literally something else... the screenshot will explain it all (I'll post it later). There was a moment, just a moment mind you, where, after re-packing the chutes, I contemplated driving over the edge and taking the express route down.

:confused:

2 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

@capi3101
Well you've been busy. That Ray Charles telescope deal cracks me up every time I see it in print. Why the eccentric orbit for Boop-Boop? A purpose? Or did it just turn out that way?

That probe's heading on to Ike for a contract, so I saw no real reason to circularize the orbit. Trying to save delta-V and all that.

The telescope probe was going to be Ray Charles 7, Stevie Wonder 7 or Helen Keller 7...I imagine if I ever use Helen Keller 7 it'll be both a telescope probe and a comm satellite... :D:confused::D:confused::sticktongue:

Yesterday I got the band back together and sat through a 30-real-minute 14-kerbal-minute burn. I was impressed that it was only at a ~2:1 realtime:kerbaltime ratio, considering the large number of parts involved; an improvement over my last such burn.

Today I _think_ I got everything updated so I can move up from KSP v1.2.2 and into KSP v1.3.1. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

9 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Nah, this is RP0(or RP1 to be precise). You don't run out of electricity unless you fly for months. Engines said flamed out and couldn't be brought back to life. 

Meanwhile I landed a traditional 16min burn time probe in Mare Crisium and did a second shot at the whole Surveyor thing. Didn't quite work out, although I had very similar component weights. I suspect I came in shallower than the real thing and so mimicking their burn altitude left me too high with too little fuel. Happens when you try to eyeball suicide burns, I guess. 

VsalNqC.png

My Atlas-Centaur equivalent. 2xH-1B, 2xRL10A-3-3.

FhoBGM4.png

Aiming for Mare Imbrium. 

dz1QX2F.png

MJ3Umuk.png

SRB lit.

eZAqbUa.png

Verniers sorta ran out of fuel, crashed into the surface at 30-40 m/s. Probe lost 2 landing legs and 1 engine, but is fine otherwise. Well that and it can't deploy one solar panel..

sePul5H.png

Great Success!

I finally "got around" [tm] to reading this piece on ascent/descent simulators: http://scolton.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/ksp-ascent-and-deorbit-simulators.html
and thought I'd post it here  in case it hasn't appeared in the Forum before.  Interesting, especially the Laythe and return mission...

(If it warrants any discussion amongst interested parties, it should probably go to its own thread.)

Well I had a little green guy stranded on the top of a mountain. I figured I'd try and land a plane up there and rescue him. What's that they say?, about the best laid plans of mice and men?... er... Kerbals? Fail. One Pike down, pilot bailed in the midst of the slide... survives.
9HyHkY9.png

So it's just a 2km walk back up the mountain, so the survivor joins his fellow, and endures an all night berating while other rescue plans are made and enacted. The idea, drop a rover up there for them to drive down in. So I built a rover. Doing things ass-backward as normal, I then proceeded to build a plane around the rover. Novel idea, but it worked. Behold, the Taxi.
vhxMHyV.png

Don't ask. It flies. Kinda nice, if you like slow lumbering jets. So we fly out there, to the mountain top. Half way, we roll over and jettison the now empty 'drop tank'... that would be that big hulking whatchamacallit up on top. A while later, we see the our target, Old KSC as well in the background. Coming in low and real slow, we cut loose and drop the rover pretty much right as planned... a mere 0.4km from our two stranded pilots. The Taxi makes a set of wide banking turns around the mountain to make sure the payload lands safely.
JuUcqMH.png

The payload safe, the jet heads on to Old KSC and lands... unfortunately a bit hard, and loses its right wing. The pilot survives however. Back on the mountain top... here's your ride boys.
n0fnRu3.png

Never mind "I'm driving!"... shut up... get in... buckle up.

"Brakes. Brakes! BRAKES!!!"
0cUxafW.png

Believe me when I tell you, it was a real chore to keep it under 30m/s for most of the descent - and steer.

After that ordeal, half way back to Old KSC, somebody needed to stop and relieve himself. :rolleyes:
jx8tIfs.png

Finally, we made it. It literally took a few hours to make the drive. It ran a close 2nd to my Mun cruise done last year. So much for this mischief, but there's still two more rovers out there.
OArBbDi.png