What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Well, today in KSP went..... I dunno. I was going to launch my Jebedi 3 mission, which was going to rendezvous with Jebedi 2 in orbit in preparation for my Kerbollo missions to the Mun, but then I realised that the best way to learn how to do orbital rendezvous was to go to the Mun, with its lower gravity.

So I abandoned Jebedi and went on to Kerbollo. Kerbollo 1 went well (I took a few screenshots, but I can't seem to find them. Maybe it's because I used the Windows screenshot key instead of the KSP one. I'll get some pics.....eventually.). It was just a test of the CSM (command/service module) in LKO. Jeb and Bill did some (pretty scary) EVAs. Then I de-orbited and everything was OK during landing.

Kerbollo 2 was a flyby of the Mun. I managed to get an encounter just by burning when I saw the Mun rising above Kerbin's horizon. I had wanted to burn once and get a Mun encounter and then a direct atmospheric entry. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out that way. I got my Mun encounter, but the resulting orbit was too high. I made a maneuver and brought the periapsis down within Kerbin's atmosphere. When I got round to the maneuver it was glitching out and saying the burn would take something like 1599 years. Then I realised that my engine was not activated. I turned it on and it was fine. The burn went well and before long I had my entry trajectory. I warped along and.....boom. The F3 menu said that I had crashed into Kerbin.

So I reloaded my quicksave and warped again, only to see that I strangely had warped straight through Kerbin and back again. But with a use of the 'warp to here' function, I finally entered Kerbin's atmosphere. But when I released the service module, it set the MET clock back to zero because the decoupler was the root part. After a hot reentry which burned away about half of my ablator, I released the heatshield.... and it set my MET clock back to zero once again. Whatever. The ship splashed down safely, with kerbonauts Kelzor, Tanble and Diny aboard.

I tried to build the rocket for Kerbollo 3, which is going to be the first trial of the Munar Excursion Module, but the game was glitching and I couldn't add any parts. So that'll be tomorrow.

Another spacex-style landing.  Also, a spaceY style landing.  Y, Y indeed.

spacewhy.jpg

Y?  Because our favorite engineer Bill didn't have enough RCS to do a proper, upside-down landing, and had to headbutt the side instead.  Or alternately, if you insist.  His presence has smoothed production dramatically, to the point that when the solar panels arrived, Banana Tank 1 was already full!

I think I'm getting a better handle on these spacex landings.  If you tune your engines to close enough to 1:1 T/W ratio, you can point STRAIGHT up and use RCS to bobble you around as if you were in zero-G.  There's a larger amount of error, so be prepared to shove yourself down OR up.

[edit] Also, Val returned home from Minmus with 2150 science points!  Majority of the tree unlocked now.

Edited by Corona688

jOOTvjy.png

Today, I launched the second Duna expedition. The mission has ran into serious trouble, because the mechjeb module malfunctioned and nearly 2000m/s of delta V were wasted. After some thought, I decided to continue the mission as planned with landings on Duna and Ike. Due to fuel problem, it was decided that the lander would transfer to Ike without the mothership. This turned out to be a mistake as the lander ran out of fuel ascending from Ike. Fortunately, the RCS had enough delta V to make orbit. The current plan is to bring the mothership to the lander and preform a minimum delta V transfer back to Kerbin. The way things are going however, I might have to send a rescue mission to Duna.

Started work on some more craft - a giant Grand Tourer for UltimateSteve's challenge and a high capacity shuttle. Also continued to work on the Christmas challenge, by docking the star to the tree! No pics though.. sorry.

Honestly though, should also think about polishing off some and then releasing them onto the world. Like that bugatti.

Edited by qzgy

Putting a lot of effort into an update to Thor Tech. I almost wish I had SVE installed, but my engines feel weak on Eve, and that spins my flywheel the wrong way. :mad: (Maybe my craft designs are worse than I think)

1l5TQIf.jpg

TPDeSFn.jpg

Made some Wright Brothers inspired planes too. The wheels here are Adjustable Landing Gear.

46dBHM5.jpg

GTLpvgU.jpg

SWABgqM.jpg

10 hours ago, DiamondExcavater said:

Proposing, or getting married?

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Well, someone’s about to vomit and then pass out, so you’re not too far off. :wink:

7 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

I am guessing you have "Test 'Flee' Solid Rocket Engine in [Condition]" contract?  

It is a contract but not a part test.

Hint1: Fuel amount.

Edited by CanOmer

9 hours ago, Tynton said:

GRqfYYn.jpg

Yeah, mod coming together rather smoothly (after revisioning this planet way too many times)

Slightly curious -- am I correct in thinking those rings aren't made up of millions of lag-inducing particles?  Are they just "no collision" objects tied to the planet, or do they have collision too?  And if so, do they rotate at orbital speed for their distance?

4 hours ago, CanOmer said:

It is a contract but not a part test.

Hint1: Fuel amount.

Based on the TWR displayed in the KER window (20+) I suspect this is a "High Gee Adventure" tourist contract.  Only pays off if the passengers lose consciousness (but don't die) from high G force.

8 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Based on the TWR displayed in the KER window (20+) I suspect this is a "High Gee Adventure" tourist contract.  Only pays off if the passengers lose consciousness (but don't die) from high G force.

Yes, high gee on sub-orbital trajectory. Can they die due to High G force? :o

10 hours ago, Tynton said:

GRqfYYn.jpg

Yeah, mod coming together rather smoothly (after revisioning this planet way too many times)

To be honest, I think the planet is a bit too shiny. It looks like it's covered in water.

Still, this is looking really nice! I like it.

1 hour ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Slightly curious -- am I correct in thinking those rings aren't made up of millions of lag-inducing particles?  Are they just "no collision" objects tied to the planet, or do they have collision too?  And if so, do they rotate at orbital speed for their distance?

I’m interested too. Are the rings possibly made up of something like the terrain scatter that you find on planets and moons??

Anyway, time for my daily status update in KSP. I had to do an entire Mun orbit mission twice. But first, I had to do the Kerbollo 3 mission, a full unmanned checkout of the Aquarius Mun lander (named after Apollo 13's lunar module). It was lifted into orbit by a Kraken Block 1B rocket. This mission was basically only to check that the 'fire in the hole' separation of the ascent stage from the descent stage worked properly. After I had confirmed that it had worked properly, I used the ascent stage engine to de-orbit. Surprisingly, it survived re-entry!!!!!!!!! After that I kept burning the engine as I descended. I however ended up running out of fuel about 5 kilometres above the ocean, ending in a loud splashdown noise and the F3 menu reporting a 'Catastrophic Failure!'.

Then I launched the Kerbollo 4 mission. The launch went well, with the SAS keeping the vehicle on the ninety throughout. I warped around and burned for the Mun when it appeared above the horizon. After a quick warp, and a burn into Mun orbit, I celebrated, quicksaved and got Sieuki, Pepe and Chadmin out for EVAs. Then I performed a couple of burns to get them home. It was just before re-entry that I realised that I had forgotten a critical component. Can you guess what? Parachutes:mad:.

After a quick rage, I clicked 'Revert'. I completed the mission in a pretty similar way to the previous one (although that was probably just one of Pepe's dreams or something). The reentry and landing went well and the crew were soon recovered and brought back to KSC.

After building the Kerbollo 5 rocket, which will be my first Mun landing (!) I quitted the game and went to read Andy Weir's latest novel. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.  

Edited by RealKerbal3x

4 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

If it stays high enough, long enough, yes they can.

BRB, going to juice some Kerbals...<_<

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I’m interested too. Are the rings possibly made up of something like the terrain scatter that you find on planets and moons??

Nah, it’s basically just an image for eye candy. ;.; One of these days, there will be a space game with particle-based, physical, gravitationally accurate ring systems. And it will be glorious... :cool: and probably pay-to-play...

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Nah, it’s basically just an image for eye candy. ;.; One of these days, there will be a space game with particle-based, physical, gravitationally accurate ring systems. And it will be glorious... :cool: and probably pay-to-play...

And if our computers had to simulate it, if they aren't already screaming and trying to go across our mobos in a hot wet mess from our 1000+ part craft, they will definitely do that now.

Today I finished up my Lunar Observatory build and posted it to Kerbal-X along with a new video.

You can download the craft files here:

Lunar Observatory - https://kerbalx.com/Jett_Quasar/Lunar-Observatiory

26165660_634291803628713_6554051179036423773_n.jpg?oh=c70fcd5513fff70e74278a1f32411949&oe=5ABD2291

Sidekick - https://kerbalx.com/Jett_Quasar/SideKick

Image may contain: outdoor

Stryker - https://kerbalx.com/Jett_Quasar/Stryker

No automatic alt text available.

- Jett