What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Actually managed to get back on here to give a 'daily' report for once (as opposed to 'weekly', 'bi-monthly', 'monthly' or 'annual'...).

Not much really of note happened yesterday. I did three runs from the Dunaport space station to the surface of Duna with the station's Spamcan 7c heavy lander, planting a total of twelve Kerbals on the surface for advanced flag-planting training. The kerbals involved in these runs were scientists Kirmund and Catny Kerman  (Dunaport's and Yokohama II's capsule commanders, respectively) and pilots Helming, Didrin, Phoming, Danrick, Malcolm, Gilvin, Newburry, Phildan, Catfrey and Agamore Kerman; due to their earlier orbital maneuvers over Ike, the last eight of these pilots are now up to a 4-star rating. After the flags were planted, the pilots were loaded aboard Necessary Evil and Next Objective along with the crews that had visited the Dunan surface earlier and the two ferry ships departed for Ike, arriving in orbit before day's end - only Kirmund, Catny and engineer Eriemy Kerman remain at Dunaport at the present time, and of the kerbals currently in the Dunan SOI, only Eriemy has yet to go to the surface to plant a flag. The Nostromo 7 ore hauling craft also departed for Ike as she'll be needed there first. The day ended with the first operational fuel run of the Old Bessie 7a heavy fuel lander to the Enchova Central refinery on Duna; the refuel operation was successful (eventually) and the craft is currently on its way back to Dunaport

Coming up, I've got to get the Old Bessie 7a back to Dunaport in order to assess the craft's effectiveness as a fuel hauling vehicle; hopefully I can certify Duna as a viable fuel depot for other points in the Kerbol system. MSV Fat Man remains in a parking orbit over Kerbol; she'll reach final position for the warp to Kerbin in a little over two days. The final three craft of the First Duna Expedition - a Hellhound 7 rover, Strange Cargo and the Ikeport space station - are scheduled to arrive at Duna in another 25 days at this point, and I've still got two outstanding asteroid missions going on. Still plenty busy at the moment.

Had a screenie from the landings but imgur is giving me guff at the moment...

19 hours ago, roboslacker said:

jOOTvjy.png

Today, I launched the second Duna expedition. The mission has ran into serious trouble, because the mechjeb module malfunctioned and nearly 2000m/s of delta V were wasted. After some thought, I decided to continue the mission as planned with landings on Duna and Ike. Due to fuel problem, it was decided that the lander would transfer to Ike without the mothership. This turned out to be a mistake as the lander ran out of fuel ascending from Ike. Fortunately, the RCS had enough delta V to make orbit. The current plan is to bring the mothership to the lander and preform a minimum delta V transfer back to Kerbin. The way things are going however, I might have to send a rescue mission to Duna.

I did a very similar mission.  Now I have 2 kerbals stranded in duna orbit and 1 stranded in Ike orbit.

Edited by DAL59

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Nah, it’s basically just an image for eye candy. ;.; One of these days, there will be a space game with particle-based, physical, gravitationally accurate ring systems. And it will be glorious... :cool: and probably pay-to-play...

I doubt there will ever be a computer that can come close to running that sort of program in real time -- especially not with n-body physics.  The best supercomputers we have can't handle a few thousand asteroids interacting so weakly with each other that, for the most part, only Jupiter and the Sun exist for them.  Tidal drag calculations have to done at so coarse a resolution that they're barely an approximation, or they take weeks or longer to complete.

Now, if we could make the game make full use of multiple cores, a server motherboard with four quad-core CPUs would be a good step -- but even a supercomputer can't do much with a single-thread engine.  In fact, modern supercomputers are more like hundreds of our CPUs in parallel, than a single CPU running at 100 GHz -- and they depend entirely on parallelism in their programs to get results quickly.

Today I did something nobody else has ever done (not in recent KSP versions anyway...)

( I got the Critter-Crawler working in KSP 1.3.1 -- might be available for D/L in the near future, but not from me... keep an eye in the KSPWheels thread for further news )

16 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Today I did something nobody else has ever done (not in recent KSP versions anyway...)

( I got the Critter-Crawler working in KSP 1.3.1 -- might be available for D/L in the near future, but not from me... keep an eye in the KSPWheels thread for further news )

Great job!
If you know how to resurrect old mods, I still have the old HOME Rover Mk3 motorbike files (Bobcat).

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

BRB, going to juice some Kerbals...<_<

7 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I was thinking the same thing. LOLZ!

Should be able to do that right on the launchpad.

So I built a Centrifuge. The first few tests, extreme Kerbal spaghettification. They would ooze through the cracks of the box I built, all stringy, and get hurled into nonexistence. When I switched to a tube, they just passed through the tube wall as a brown ionized cloud - going poof! I have no idea of the G-forces, the G-meter dosn't seem to register anything.

...and now I'll have to come back and edit to post images, because the game just crashed hard. :/

Edit: Extreme Kerbal spaghettification, not even 1/3 throttle.
7orkquf.png

Edited by LordFerret
extreme Kerbal spaghettification

I released [1.3.1] Telemagic, the "New Year's Eve" release, just slightly ahead of schedule.  [A lot ahead of schedule for those who are going to dub it the "April Fools'" release!!  :)]

This is the initial release and its intention is to promote the Baikerbanur Cosmodrome from Easter Egg status to that of Space Center, 2nd Class.

It teleports craft from the KSC runway and launchpad to BKB and it additionally refuels craft parked on the designated refueling aprons at both space centers.

A future release will support refueling at "hub" airports, supporting the growth of regional/global Kerbin aviation networks.  [I'm currently in contact with Richard Branson's office at Virgin HQ to seek his endorsement/backing.  Amazing the bureaucracy there as I have YET to speak with the man himself!]

And, with a tailwind, Telemagic may also end up as an in-game button.  :wink:  :)

I should point out (Truth in Advertising) that this initial version is a prototype and it is probably more oriented toward the adventurous.  To use this "add on", you will need to be able to set up a shortcut/launcher to run a JAR file.  The instructions are included in the .ZIP README.

[Yes, yes, yes, HyperEdit, I know...!]

Edited by Hotel26

On 12/29/2017 at 3:55 AM, roboslacker said:

Today, I launched the second Duna expedition. The mission has ran into serious trouble, because the mechjeb module malfunctioned and nearly 2000m/s of delta V were wasted. After some thought, I decided to continue the mission as planned with landings on Duna and Ike. Due to fuel problem, it was decided that the lander would transfer to Ike without the mothership. This turned out to be a mistake as the lander ran out of fuel ascending from Ike. Fortunately, the RCS had enough delta V to make orbit. The current plan is to bring the mothership to the lander and preform a minimum delta V transfer back to Kerbin. The way things are going however, I might have to send a rescue mission to Duna.

That's why I'm taking no chances with my imminent first creed Duna mission - I'm sending unmanned life support and fuel resupply craft and lifeboats just in case. They will double as relay satellites.

Probe which carries Mun rover and a Mun satellite:

LDbxH9E.png

But I made two mistakes:

1. I attached relay antennas to lander instead of satellite.

2. No solar panel on lander. (There are solar panels on rover and satellite.)

In conclution satellite is useless and lander will be useless after landing. Fortunately I landed because I am lucky to had direct connection to Kerbin where I want to land. But it is very dark.

tBOOU8f.png

Spotlights are too weak, do I need to add tons of spotlights to get proper light? (I know I can increase ambient light boost but I like realism.)

Edited by CanOmer

Recently I've sent up the core Main Axis Module of my Kerbin orbital station. The Main Axis Module contains living quarters and the stock lab (which I pretend is a living quarter thing because I have the other lab from Station Science), plus some corridors and a small docking hub. Along with it I've also sent a tug probe and a Plant Growth experiment for later use when the station is expanded.

Today the first major expansions of the station were conducted. The first expansion brought the crucial Main Hub module to which the heaviest parts of the station will be connected, as well as the Orb Module with one of the two main docking ports for third ships that the station will feature. This mission was crewed because the agency needed a few pilots on the station to test out some control systems.

The Main Hub Module and Orb Module arriving to the Main Axis Module and becoming one with it.

up1NYwu.png

XIEghQ4.jpg

The crew leaving after having spent a few hours on the station. The station still has no functional life support and is thus not fit for extended stays.

DkBkNPL.png

The second station expansion was the heaviest craft I've ever put in orbit, and contained the heavy Science and Command Module and the Zoology Module.

This also marked the first time the station could produce its own power via the solar arrays on those modules, even though these are secondary arrays, since the bulk of electricity is to be produced by the upcoming modules designed specifically for power production.

Quite a big mess here as the big tug that I've brought up on this flight to assemble the modules was incorrectly loaded with liquid fuel instead of monopropellant, making it stranded since it lacked its own engines. Luckily the smaller tug that was brought to the station with the core module turned out to be quite adequate for the task, despite being much much smaller and lighter than the modules it was handling. 

rJuJdLK.png

The station as it is now:

B0m5j9D.jpg

gqoEdSr.png

At least four more flights are planned before completion, as well as rendezvous with an asteroid tug hauling a class A asteroid that will be attached to the station.

Once more, because it works so well:

BigWingDuna.jpg

Family trip to Duna. This time without the  "Agamemnon" nuclear ramjet, because it's both OP and useless at the same time (needs no fuel but ultimately saves no dV).

Edited by Laie

40 minutes ago, Laie said:

Unlike the stock service module, this looks like something I might actually board.

What about this:

DyEj5hF.jpg

(I was going to write 8-kerbal cabin under a ton (995kg) but each kerbal adds 93.75kg.)

Edited by CanOmer

A new install, a new carreer.

Galileo Planet Pack, 3,2x resized. I find solar systems of this size very entertaining, because it poses a serious challenge to get somewhere, and the launch vehicles have realistic-ish proportions, but it's not the hardcore RO/RP-0,

VMPluto.png

Plenty of mods, and so far I reached the two moons, Iota and Ceti. The last payload was this pressurized giant rover which took half of my budget, but makes exploring Iota much easier and will yield soooo much science.

uo7TVvl.png

Can't say that Iota is a great roving territory though.....

mbfljMd.png

Michal.don

NAILED A DOCKING STRAIGHT FROM ORBIT I SWEAR no mechjeb, no nothing just navball and quicksave.

docking-from-orbit.jpg

Took three tries, primarily due to my own stupidity.  In tries 1 and 2, I forgot to "control from" the bottom docking port and ended up off by a meter or so :o