climbing through 26600m

Spoiler

587676screenshot96.png

Reaching orbit, launcher are built to push the station to other planets

Spoiler

246787screenshot97.png

Second station has been launched and both are prepared to docking

472726screenshot98.png

Docked together, mass more than 3500T with 560 000L of liquid fuel for my giant SSTO Carrier, 49000L of oxydiser and 85000L of monoprop.....

189680screenshot99.png

Edited by gilflo

I must tell you my tale of mirth and woe that happened yesterday and a bit today. So, not soon after telling you about the glorious spectacle of the Kerbollo 5 mission reaching a Munar orbit, I realised that that orbit was actually retrograde. I figured that out because my heading (HDG on the navball) when I was prograde was 270 degrees. This meant that the descent to the Munar surface would be easy enough, but the ascent to orbit would be harder and require more delta-V, because I'd be going directly against the Mun's rotation. Well, whatever, Old Me thought. I transferred Jeb and Bill to the lander, quicksaved, and undocked. I made sure that the lander's staging was correct before performing my deorbit burn. Long story short, it took a couple of tries before I could actually land the thing. It's my first Mun landing. What do you expect?? However, on the third try, I brought it down perfectly at about 4 m/s in the dead middle of a small crater. Here are some pics of the lads having fun on the surface:
Album https://imgur.com/1lH6hc9 will appear when post is submitted
They had a lot of fun. Jeb planted a flag while Bill jetpacked off to the rim of Bob Crater. Seeing that he was about 1.3 km away from the base, he determined that the radius of the crater was 2.6 km. That's if I landed in the dead middle. The kerbals even lined up for the obligatory on-top-of-the-lander shot. After I had finished messing about on the surface, I got my kerbals back into the lander, checked my staging and launched. There was one key I forgot to press though. Top of the keyboard, centre-left. Can you guess? Yes. F5.
This immediately came back to haunt me as I switched to map view and saw I was going in completely the wrong direction. After a lot of frustrated fiddling with the node, I got into a orbit, but a annoyingly inclined and eccentric one. Several burns later, I had not got any closer to the command module. I gave up for the night, hoping to reload the quicksave I made before I even landed. But guess what? Turns out that I actually made a quicksave during my desperate struggle to rendezvous with the command module, when I didn't notice that I was on a Mun escape trajectory. Even more frustrated, I kept up my fruitless rendezvous attempts.Eventually, I went back to KSC, and looked at the tracking station, pondering the future of poor Jebediah, Bill and Bob Kerman. Eventually I decided to terminate the flights of everything associated with that mission, despite the game warning me that it would 'destroy the craft, killing all Kerbals'. When I went to the astronaut complex, it reported that Jeb and co were 'Missing in Action'. A quick look at the Wiki showed that they would reappear 'after a time'. But I don't know how much time, so Valentina, (the (currently) last remaining member of the Original Four)Diny, Kelzor and Tanble flew on the first flight of my LORA (LOng Range Aircraft). The orange suits are currently on unpaid leave because Gene isn't happy about them not attending.
I wouldn't blame it on them though. Those 'simulations' took a lot out of them.

59 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Him's gonna need a patch........ARGH!

jFOQcad.gif

Julien Kerman. Space Pirate.

Edited by RealKerbal3x
REFERENCE!!!!!!!

I wanted to launch a Surveyor and coms sat on the same vehicle. I guess I could have put them one on top of the other but that would 'block' whichever one was in the rear. Ok.. My head knows that they don't block each other... but my heart 'knows' that they do,

So anyway.. here they are on the same vessel and not 'blocking' each other.

I0YaesW.jpg

They still looked kind of streamlined on launch too.

cGHWy2C.jpg

Even though some might say that I was solving a problem that didn't exist, I felt rather good about it. :)

Actually nothing exceptional just housekeeping in my space station. But I can't resist to share some screenshots with Texture unlimited. I really like the effect of this mod ! Congratulations to all people involved in this project, you really made my day !

y4me7pjx9s9CudHhV_Nh4aRrkJy6zaP3cG2tBUCo

y4miO5xhmzDNkbApnD4Qs8saFI3b00fcyvy0dB--

After a few weeks off from KSP because of holiday travel etc. I decided to re-do my direct ascent Mun Lander so that it uses only monoprop on the transfer, descent and return stages.  The descent and return stages share the same set of engine (4 Puffs).

The booster has tail fins because Saturn V

bGl7cas.png

Monoprop stack in high orbit

N3r33lQ.png

On the Mun!

1OlJ1mT.png

Departing the Mun

l2ojPMS.png

Returning home

aLL3Tdy.png

Today I applied one of my sunflares across a galaxy mod (Zyansias, in the closed alpha development state, owned by @Tynton). 

Ursa Minor + All The Things : D

This is what SunflaresOfMaar are truly made for!

DkZ9s1I.jpg

How this planet is able to retain a solid form between an O and A class star is beyond me, but unlike KSS where realism is well-fed, realism gets breadcrumbs in Zyansias! :D 

H3i02tf.jpg JnrvPek.jpg PO9taIN.jpg LjuTvjB.jpg

On 12/31/2017 at 6:02 AM, Mignear said:

Launched the plane that was supposed to be the habitation unit for the base, and due to piloting error it runs out of fuel before it reached the north pole. Decision was made to shift the location of the base.

That plane looks like it should reach either pole. Do you have fuel in both sets of wings?

13 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Um.

JU4kWh.png

And then she said "Tell me I look fat in a spacesuit again and you'll lose the other eye."

And in my world:
The SCANsat-Eeloo probe I thought I'd lost, wasn't lost... I had merely neglected to set a KAC alarm for its SOI change. I caught it before it bypassed Eeloo and put it into a polar orbit and began scanning. I finished scanning all of Eeloo, and just in time. The Eeloo-Explorer arrived, and was inserted into orbit. That happened yesterday. Today, with much anticipation, I put a manned lander down on Eeloo... my first time ever. All went well. I hopped three biomes and collected some science, even planted a flag. The next landing will be to seek out and find Eeloo's sole anomaly... maybe tomorrow.
h51MP3Q.png

I'm a happy ferret.

I mostly just performed the mid-course correction burns for a fleet of probes heading for Jool, then tinkered with a  mostly-SRB version of my expendable 4-seat LKO tourist rocket.   Suffice it to say it was good that I tested it empty.  I "think" the last tweak I did will make it usable, but at a cost savings of only :funds:1500 from the original LFO version, I'm not sure it's worth the headache.  At least the testing was pretty, with all the fireworks in the sky.  :D

I worked on a stock long range SSTO version of my "Nova" series spaceplanes. Due to its state-of-the art nuclear turbo RAPIER engines, the "Hypernova" has over 4,000 m/s deltaV in 82 km circular Kerbin orbit and can perform a return trip from the Mun, Minmus and Duna*

* hypothetically, I'm still figuring out a landing protocol that doesn't involve lithobr(e)aking

rQuUPDd.png

Pw86D5R.png

Also, I you haven't done so already, be sure to grab a copy of the "Katateochi" class heavy cargo SSTO (also stock) from KerbalX... you can't afford not to fly it :wink::

QcmLU1n.png

1 hour ago, Yakuzi said:

hypothetically, I'm still figuring out a landing protocol that doesn't involve lithobr(e)aking

At Kerbin or Duna?

My suggestion would be aerobraking. Or parachutes.

I sent more cargo to Jool.

tIFyT5H.png

This shipment consists of a replacement mine for Laythe's surface, an extension module for said mine, a fuel tank for Laythe Station and a return module for my current Jool crew.

Speaking of which, the first Kerbals have arrived at Jool.

EyH8dsk.jpg

nYWwnlv.jpg

The two ships carrying the first Kerbals to visit the Joolean system have safely arrived at Pol. A landing mission to the small moon was promptly launched.

9bd7EAh.png

That's Ronfurt and Gracy Kerman making the first footfalls on Pol. The chosen landing site was on the dark side of the body, which made taking a screenshot difficult, but the craft's downard-facing lights made the actual landing reasonably straight-forward. Landings on Jool's other moons are planned, but they'll have to wait for more of the data from this mission to be processed since I only have one experiment module and its ESU is still mostly full of data from this mission.

gBwOK1W.jpg

A science rover (originally built for Eeloo but replaced with another model as the parameters of that mission changed) has also arrived at Pol. I was originally planning to land this one on Vall but I think I'll send it to Bop instead, since Vall's higher gravity makes EVA fuel depletion a real concern so I'd rather have a rover with some crew space for that body.