What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

That's a really fancy craft you got there.

I built something a bit more low tech today, but surprisingly complex:

hT8ijYd.jpg

Cue the "Mission: Impossible" theme:

4I8BV6k.jpg

Mods: KIS, KAS, and pretty much all of the USI mods.

Edited by Mjarf

17 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Something's a bit off about that pilot, too... I was aiming for Tinkerbell...

YOU STOLE THOMPBERRY DIDN'T YOU?! YOU MONSTER.

eh. he can terrorize/make snarky comments in some other story now. The more sarcasm, the better?

5 minutes ago, qzgy said:

YOU STOLE THOMPBERRY DIDN'T YOU?! YOU MONSTER.

eh. he can terrorize/make snarky comments in some other story now. The more sarcasm, the better?

I tried to build him from memory, cuz it was late and I was too tired to go find a pic. So he came out a little... special. 

I call him Derpfburby. :D

Trama is living up to her name. I'd mentioned previously about a crew of two waiting for a ride home, and dropping a rover for them to play with in the mean time...

I sent Trama out with the rover for some trials (oh yea, this is on Duna), and then out to an anomaly I'd wanted to visit previously but - fail. Well, Trama flipped the rover during the initial trial and broke a headlamp. Then, out on her mission to the anomaly, she flipped the rover again breaking the other headlamp, the radio antenna, and an RTG. Then, the objective in sight, she flipped the rover a third time, luckily not breaking anything. Both the second and third flips, she was actually able to right the rover - which wasn't easy - she had no choice, it was either that or walk. The second flip was 60+km from the lander, and the third, right at the anomaly, about 200km from the lander. She (I) literally spent all day today driving there. The rover performed great, and likely can make the trip back unless I proceed with my original plans of putting a base just south of the anomaly. The anomaly by the way, is 'The Face'. It's a lot smaller than I expected it to be, but still pretty cool.

kRBLFPy.png

Edited by LordFerret
flipped the flips

Strangely the '262' seems to only work if the fuel on board is reduced, any attempt to increase the fuel(and balancing the CoM nicely of course) causes it to spin out when trying to turn during flight.

It was decided to strap 2 more engines on the thing because the Record Breaker proved that stability via more thrust works  eventually the thing is gonna have a 3-engine variant anyway

OiOgVKH.png

The result naturally became a competitor to the Record Breaker unit.

G6eXF7R.png

In other news, the Record Breaker proved itself to be a resilient aircraft by losing half of the plane and still being perfectly flyable.

faR1Utb.png

Finally, the last major expansion of my LKO station is completed, in what was a launch that touched the upper limit of the mass I can comfortably bring to orbit, as the craft barely fit into the VAB.

This launch brought the Spectrometron Module and the very heavy Fuel Storage Module filled up to full capacity meant to refuel heavy interplanetary launches, and a crucial stepping stone for my upcoming Duna Orbital Sanctuary station, which itself will be critical to a safe manned Duna mission as it will be loaded with generous amounts of supplies and some fuel, in case the crew gets stranded around Duna.

The cost of this launch was quite outrageous at just under a million credits.

Launch

tLt4424.jpg

The retrorockets were barely powerful enough to put any distance between the stages upon separation due to the lower stage's mass, and here I hoped that they would actually maybe deorbit the thing. The amount of lower stages the size of small cities I'm leaving in orbit lately is unnerving...

56uLZqu.jpg

Rendezvous with the station

zIeZnlg.jpg

Separation after having docked the Spectrometron Module

AJ5p9E7.jpg

Station fully assembled!

5l93QYi.jpg

While no further major expansions are in plan, there might be a few smaller ones, the most notable of which will be the attachment of a Class A asteroid that I brought to LKO a while ago.

Edited by ROXunreal

@ROXunreal, what mods are you using there?  That looks great.

Currently I've all of these contracts under way in 3 launches (or I would have if I'd remembered to put the crew on the Ike mission, so I now need to send up another crew module!  On the plus side that can serve as a test of my crew return system, but it's annoying as I'm trying to do as many contracts per launch and now I have to send one up for no profit)

0IZ8NZT.png?1

The ScanSat ones are all covered by one launch carying 7 small ScanSat satellites that mentioned on the last page, this will also cover the science data from space around Eve one.

I've launched this to do the 2 equipment tests around Ike and the Ike surface outpost contract.  The interplanetary module will then rendezvous it's original SSTO booster in Kerbin orbit to get the Explore Kerbin contract, which is to dock 2 vessels in orbit), which well then de-orbit with the hitchhiker module.

aMROofb.png?1

The Sentinel contract required it in solar orbit near Eeloo, and is my first mission this game with an Ion drive

lGPrumo.png?1

25 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

@ROXunreal, what mods are you using there?  That looks great.

For the eye candy:

For the station parts:

I also recently got Near Future Construction and Near Future Solar but haven't used them yet.

Edit: can't help the formatting of these link-previews...

Edited by ROXunreal

I just released [1.3.1.5] Telemagic at https://spacedock.info/mod/1627/Telemagic

This release completes implementation of the Telemagic rules for recognition of "hub" airports and for refueling vehicles.

Although it is currently still in "prototype" form, Telemagic is now "feature complete".

One more major release is planned, the "April Fools' Day" release, to be delivered before 2018-4-1.  This release will transform Telemagic into a proper KSP plug-in and simply put a single button onto the screen.

For more information about Telemagic and its capabilities, please visit:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/169048-131-telemagic-v1311-new-years-eve-release

Have fun.

Wow, It's good to be back... After a serious computer-crash I've finally re-installed KSP, and went to the Mun Apollo-style...

...and managed to destroy the engine on landing... So I sent a rescue-probe with two seats so Val and Bob can reach LMO to meet with Jeb and get home.

"I can can do a proper landing..." thought to myself and sent Jeb back on a one-man mission Apollo-style again. This time sticked the landing, planted the flag and left without much trouble... Then I realised I'm off to the command-craft by 50° anti-normal and just ran out of fuel in LMO... "flip!... I still have monoprop tho..." After some serious orbit tweeking I got close enough to the command craft to reach it via EVA.

Moral of the story: never expect a mission to run smoothly

Following the recent achievements of "first", I decided to go to another unexplored body of the system: Gilly.

Despite the fact that Eve was the third planet I ever visited, its satellite never really interest me due to its ridiculous size, form, and the multiple bugs reports about it.

2TUOd5Y.png

Anyway, the final decision was took to go there. Pretty light, the payload is consisting in a small science module, protected by the fairing, carrying all the instruments, and which is supposed to come back to Kerbin in one piece (as I simply haven't made any test of it before the flight, we will see...)

A small (and ugly, really ugly) fuel tank is feeding the Spark, which is in return is giving the probe 3.3 km/s available. 

Finally, a 4 tons communication satellite also was part of the travel, and should serve as a third platform to relay the information a bit more in the Eve system.

cYN0sWJ.png

The launcher selected was Ariadne 5, which enjoyed a nearly complete plastic surgery using fairings and an optimization of its performances by the same way.

EoIIyXv.png

The main core is (under)powered by a single Skipper engine, procuring more than 4 km/s, while each E.A.P. are containing two Kickbacks.

GfQMym2.png

While one of the SRBs is configured at 100% of its thrust, the other is limited at 90%, giving a whole burning time of about 80 seconds instead of the standard 62. Like this the separation is occurring around 23 km, where, after having burned enough fuel, the Skipper can keep on accelerating.

QCQ3wHa.png

(Drum rolls) TADAAA...

VXmwqU8.png

First stage separation at 95 km, after a more than 5 minutes long burn. It correctly place the apogee at 500 km after a 45 seconds acceleration on a flat plan, asking the second stage only a small sacrifice of 253 m/s to complete the circularization.

cEVKj71.png

Ok, I agree, this is not the standard 800 m/s economic transfer burn to Eve, but for "just" 957 it was not possible to leave the probe in orbit 50 days more. After all the second stage is containing enough fuel for more than 3 km/s, so we don't care.

UgcjJia.png

Here we go! Under the limited thrust of this Aestus-wannabe engine.

OSnm2kN.png

Strangely, despite the fact that it is nothing else than a video game, and that there is no "living" Kerbals on board, I'm always feeling a bit sad when leaving Kerbin...

EA9OGcD.png

The probe is good for a 184 days long sleeping now. As I did not tried the system before on a test flight, we will see if something as been conceived wrongly (more than 70% of probability, according to my personal stats...), or if it will work well.

So this is a thing that happened.

screenshot415.png

screenshot418.pngscreenshot420.png

screenshot423.pngscreenshot426.png

screenshot429.png

There was still quite a bit of fuel in the main tank (Also has a probe core and small reserve for de-orbit disposal).  Could have easily gotten a much higher orbit before disconnecting the shuttles.

Each shuttle has a small probe core for Kerballess operation, and enough supplies for 2 for 75 days (TAC).  I actually launched with a dummy load in each shuttle, just forgot to grab a SS of it in orbit.

screenshot430.png

Re-entry needs some tweaking, as I designed the shuttle around the tanks being about 1/3rd full.  First landing attempt went poorly, so I just de-orbited the other two and will let them plummet down on their own.

Edited by Geonovast