What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I had promised to give y'all some screenies from the First Duna expedition a few days ago; once again time has gotten away from me...

Bn1Ab1d.png%20
Tommund at the helm of MSV Fat Man at the beginning of one of several Alcubierre-drive powered runs between Kerbin and Duna. I think this was the third flight, hauling some money-making probes out there.

dUN9PCV.png%20
Necessary Evil in orbit of Duna, with an Ike eclipse in progress.

rN1kzSo.png%20
Successful first landing of the Spamcan 7c heavy passenger lander on Duna. The lander performed eight such landings on the Dunan surface during the first expedition.

4u7nuwe.png%20
Fat Man returning to Kerbin with two expended Faux News modules and an Auk II 8-passenger spaceplane that appears to be missing a few parts. The Auk was eventually cut loose and self-destructed.

KVQYg6T.png%20
Engineer Eriemy Kerman at the Scan Queen refinery, taking some of the first steps of any Kerbal on the surface of Ike.

7wL5s1I.png%20
Necessary Evil arriving at Kerbinport after a successful mission, with Strange Cargo already in close proximity to the station. The Auk XIV 36-passenger spaceplane is also visibly docked to the station already, as is the sister ship Laggin' Dragon.

9pVG0q3.png%20
Final science results of the First Duna Expedition. We didn't clean out Duna, but we sure as heck went gung-ho on Ike...

I'll post about more recent events later today, if I get the opportunity.

I sent Bervey Kerman (one of my "expendable pilots") on a suborbital hop aimed at planting a flag at the Crater Rim tracking station.  She undershot a bit and had to swim about 15 km to shore, and now she has some mountain-climbing to do.  Somewhat time-consuming, but she'll get there.

Also, I redesigned the expansion modules for the "Hotep" station (Mir-analogue), put them on appropriate launchers, and started them into the (KCT) construction stream.

The crew aboard the "Nedjkhert" station (Salyut-analogue) passed the 60-day mark, so they easily have the duration record.  They will need to be resupplied in about 20 days; a "Hathor" module (Progress-analogue) is ready for launch at the appropriate time to keep them going.

This is the Orpheus, the latest advance of the Eve program. If you're familiar with his story, the name should give an idea of how I'm starting to feel about Eve.

kJ2yKHW.png

A number of improvements have been made to address the causes of the sad fate of the Abaddon. Focus has been on aerodynamics. The return module has had a complete redesign to make it more slippery and less lifty, and the wings have received strakes as well as tuning to pitch and position. We believe the Abaddon's tendency to backflip at high energies has been tamed, while maintaining tolerable glide characteristics. Only about 100 m/s of computed dV has been lost to the changes; it now stands at roughly 9350 fully fueled. 

Critical to stability in atmospheric entry is maintaining a small fuel reserve in the forward tank of the return module. This fuel reserve can then be pumped to an aft tank and used to find a suitable landing spot.

The Orpheus will head for Eve in the next transfer window.

The past five days I've been busying myself with a bunch of little contracts in the wake of the return of the First Duna Expedition. After the ferries Strange Cargo, Next Objective and Necessary Evil all returned safely to Kerbin using the Heighliner 7 warp ship MSV Fat Man, I went ahead and deorbited the Incertae Cedis parachute adapter module carrying the skycrane from the rover Beulah, which was left on the surface of Ike; doing so allowed me to clear out the final Explore Ike contract in my queue, allowing me to pick up the first Explore Eve contract. After doing a quick ore mining job at the Scan Queen refinery on Ike for cash, I went ahead and loaded all the personnel that had gone to Eve aboard a waiting Auk XIV 36-passenger spaceplane already docked at the Kerbinport space station, and I also transferred all the available science I'd collected to the plane for good measure. The safe landing brought almost all of my kerbals home with a 4-star rating and nearly 15,000 science, which should set me for the foreseeable future. I went ahead and adopted a strategy at the Admin building to convert all future science into rep. I'm at 93% rep right now, so I figured 'why not'.

With the first expedition complete, my focus turned to the Second Duna Expedition, whose point would be to take the personnel I'd left behind at Kerbin, Mün and Minmus to Duna so they could get their tickets punched. At Minmus, scientist Seanlan Kerman took the Minmusport space station's Spamcan 7 lander down to the Deepwater Horizon refinery on the surface to pick up engineer Theony Kerman, and after a safe landing and refueling op, the two took off to rendezvous with MSV Fat Man. An Auk IIIa xenon refuler flight launched to Kerbinport and after topping off there, the plane made its way to a rendezvous with Fat Man. Scientist Gillie Kerman made a similar run to pickup engineer Leedorf Kerman from the Piper Alpha refinery at Mun, and then the two made their way towards Fat Man. The refuel op drained the station's Exxon Valdez 7a fuel cannister, which was deorbited and has yet to be replaced. After successfully refueling Fat Man's fuel stores, the plane was deorbited successfully and attempted to land at KSC 27; I came into hot and overshot the runway by three klicks, but the plane did make it down intact otherwise.

I had a couple of additional contracts to take care of at Duna, so I spent my day on Friday designing some payloads to fulfill those missions. After adjusting the basic design to put a docking port on top, I launched a Ray Charles 7a telescope probe, which will eventually head into a solar orbit in the vicinity of Eve for rock-watching duties. I also developed the Waste of Time 7 to do some tests in solar and Dunan orbits. Both craft were launched and successfully docked with Fat Man by the end of the day, and finally I had three tourists and four additional KSC staff depart Kerbinport aboard Laggin' Dragon, the only one the four ferries in my fleet to not have visited Duna at that point. The ship rendezvoused and docked with Fat Man successfully, and by the end of the day the next Duna expedition was ready for departure. Owing to the fact that they had visited Duna and Ike but not Mün and Minmus, I launched engineer Suus Kerman and pilot Helming Kerman to Mün aboard a Gusmobile 7; the two of them arrived at Mün on Saturday, and after planting flags and refueling, the two burned to go to Minmus. 

Fat Man departed for Duna on Saturday, stopping at Eve just long enough to tick the first two marks off the explore Eve contract before heading on to the ramp-up for low Kerbolar orbit. While the ramp-up was ongoing, engineer Dilnard was launched to Mun aboard a Heartbreak Hotel 7 module on a contract to expand the Hojo Alpha outpost on Mun, a mission that was successfully completed even though I had to deliberately tip over the module in order to link it to the existing outpost. Dilnard is still at Hojo Alpha at the moment, which is 25 klicks from Piper Alpha and I'm considering whether or not to send the rover Indecision from the refinery to go pick him up and have him man the station; Piper Alpha does need a recharge at this point and Dilnard is a four-star engineer, after all. I also hauled down a Mk-1 Lander Can and a cargo ramp from LKO before Fat Man completed her ramp up, quench and subsequent final warp to Duna. With Fat Man in Dunan orbit, Laggin' Dragon and the Waste of Time 7 module were both undocked and their respective rendezvous with the Dunaport space station were set. Both craft are still en route as of this morning. 

I did want to go ahead and check off the final mark of the initial Explore Eve contract, namely to return a ship to Kerbin from an Eve flyby; to that end, this morning I designed the Bleepity-Bleep-Bleep 7 warp probe, and made an initial attempt to get the craft out to Eve. Everything went according to plan except for the final recovery; the probe did not survive re-entry at Kerbin, likely because I chose to go straight for re-entry instead of taking the time to re-enter a parking orbit first so I could control the speed of descent. I've reverted that flight - I didn't want to lose a √17.5M warp drive after all - and will make another attempt later today as likely as not.

So, a lot going on. Only other thing I haven't mentioned yet is that I'm going to have to perform some open surgery on Necessary Evil - since the warp ramp-up takes place close enough to Kerbol to melt ablator, and since Necessary Evil made four back and forth trips to Duna, the ship's heat shield has been completely exhausted. Replacing it would require me to detach the drive section, install the new shield on the bottom of the passenger modules, and re-attach the drive section, and then double-check (and revert) to make sure the craft's drive section could still be jettisoned in the event of an emergency. I should have the personnel to do it at this point, but it's going to take some very delicate planning to pull it off. I look forward to the challenge, and that one's going to have screenies for sure...

Orpheus has arrived at the gates of Hades.

V1a2XPj.png

Orpheus has passed the gates.

ffYvdSa.png

He stands before the face of the King of the Dead.

tIzh3kE.png

Orpheus begs succour of him.

Uh30TBo.png

... anyway ...

... whew, that was intense. 

And I still don't know if Orpheus is going to be able to leave Hades. But this is a big, big step. Now I know how to get something this size through the Evian atmosphere, and that's something at least!

Edited by Guest

On 2/3/2018 at 12:22 PM, Just Jim said:

Agreed!

Tylo is a four letter word...  :mad:

So is Duna! (Especially being it has claimed more ships, rovers, and crew on me than any other planet thusfar). :/

On 2/4/2018 at 2:41 PM, Brikoleur said:

Eve claims yet another victim.
...snip...
Or add an actual canard I can deploy to counteract it? ...

I had similar problems with my shuttle, it wanted to come in ass-end first constantly. I re-balanced the weight a bit and added a forward canard, which helped greatly. Also, crazy as it sounds, one of my supersonic jets which had both an engine and atmospheric heating problem... I added cooling panels (radiators) which managed the issue. Might be worth a shot trying.

4 hours ago, capi3101 said:

... Laggin' Dragon ...

Heh heh!... love it.

15 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I had similar problems with my shuttle, it wanted to come in ass-end first constantly. I re-balanced the weight a bit and added a forward canard, which helped greatly. Also, crazy as it sounds, one of my supersonic jets which had both an engine and atmospheric heating problem... I added cooling panels (radiators) which managed the issue. Might be worth a shot trying.

Thanks for the hints but as you can see just above, I just made it down to the Eve surface! :D:D:D

Canards did help but I eventually managed to tweak the aero so that they weren't necessary. Now Orpheus is a beautifully balanced bird -- I retain 360 fuel / 440 oxidant as ballast, and pump them back and forth to control attitude during re-entry. It worked wonderfully... er, well, for certain values of wonderful anyway, things did get pretty bumpy when I hit the lower atmosphere. The real problem was with the flat Mk 2 nose: it moved the CoL forward like crazy when I pitched up. Redesigning the return module with a round profile solved that problem. 

I do miss the Mk2's temperature resistance though -- the conical fuel tank is a bit over the usual 2000 but it was one of the bits that was closest to going critical.

I believe re-entry with a kerbal pilot will be a lot easier, as with a probe it went into plasma blackout just as things started to go nuts; for the most critical part of it all I could do was watch.

Edited by Guest

A little catch-up with promised pictures.....

Up on Dres rovering to its sole anomaly, in complete darkness no less...
DV0cTsR.png

Nightvision is definitely handy! Without it, I would never have seen the mother of all seams ("It's full of stars!")...
toUfu6M.png

As it turned out, I ended up flipping the rover later on. This rover is a bit bigger and heavier than 'the little rover that could', and so I wasn't able to right it (flip it back over). There's no damage to it, which is a real shame because of the lost science collection potential it had. I've another drop-rover mission under way to rescue the driver, which should enable him (or was it 'her') to make it to the anomaly. We're so close!

And up on Duna, the assault continues. 'The little rover that could', I think should be renamed to 'the little rover that did' at this point. This rover, now piloted by a different driver, has driven one quarter the distance around Duna... and in combined total since its start, has driven enough to equal half the distance around Duna. I'll have to put a map of its track up later, once it reaches its final destination...
0xKVrEk.png

We've reached the second to last destination on this trip (finally), a monolith just slightly north of the southern polar ice cap. This, 'the little rover that could', has turned out to be one tough little buggy. It has survived over 10 flips thusfar; having lost 2 headlamps, 1 RTG, and 1 antenna. I've been very lucky to right it every time so far, without any major damage! It's a shame I didn't think to add science packages to it, or a science collection container. Next version I will...
CbrWidj.png

I want to note here, that it literally took me 3 days to drive this buggy from my Duna 'base' to this destination... as in, it's all I've been doing for the last 3 days (on and off). It would take me just as long to drive from here at home (NJ), to visit family I have in Austin TX! LOL!

One more anomaly to go, then a rendezvous with a rescue ship. The focus, as far as this Duna mission is concerned, will turn to expanding the base. 'The little rover that could' will be left behind, a testament and memorial for future explorers to discover. :cool:

Edited by LordFerret

Today I visited the Tracking Station to see how Bob was doing. (he is in orbit around Kerbol).

I also tried to build a mobile base on Kerbin. It almost worked, but I forgot the tail fins and it flipped over and blew up. Luckily there were no kerbals on board.:P

My attack plane (it drops fuel tanks) didn't exactly work. It destroyed the VAB, but not because the fuel tank hit. I accidentally crashed it into the building. No kerbals were harmed. :D

The last thing I did was build a rocket called the Kertimis. It was supposed to make it to the Mun. It didn't. ;.;

So that's what I did today!

Barely opened KSP today but managed the first stop in my After Kerbin expedition. Captured at "Demise."

SCANsat mapping is completely done, and Karbonite was harvested for refilling the MonoPropellant on all vessels after using some to speedily orient the caravan for a burn.

I've edited the global configs to make Karbonite a bit more abundant everywhere so I can do the Bussard Collector thing outside of GPP.

si90glh.png

x2HDgDg.png

Long shadows behind us, tonight we finished our Duna trek. 'The little rover that could', did it. Here we are at the 'Mysterious Mountain'... place is quite noisy.
CHWn9EE.png

I find myself contemplating a continuance of this mission... a cruise to the southern polar pinch. Do I? Do I? Do I?

Anyway, this is basically the route taken.
ZpDC2LH.png

Wasted the better chunk of my day yesterday figuring out ways to get the Bleepity-Bleep-Bleep 7 warp probe back safely to the surface of Kerbin. After the initial failed attempt, I reverted and raised the periapsis five klicks with each attempt. Did that about five times in a row. After the raise to 40,000 failed (I experienced an unusual phenomenon where the probe would slow down as it got into the thick atmosphere but then start speeding up again, until the probe ripped itself apart due to the heat and atmospheric stresses, I decided that maybe what I needed was a damn heat shield, and to that end I stabilized the probe's orbit and then sent up a Bill Clinton 7b grabber probe to grab it and haul it down. I figured this was a job for a ten meter heat shield, right?

mj0ge88.png
The two probes at docking, with the Bill Clinton 7b on the left and the Bleepity-Bleep-Bleep 7 on the right. Makes me wonder if I should be seeing this...

So I got into the deep atmosphere and deployed the Bill Clinton's heat shield. Damn thing did absolutely nothing. I mean, usually if I deploy the heat shield down around 25,000 I see a fifteen- to thirty-gee spike and my speed goes down enough to deploy chutes, but in this case it only slowed down to about 600 m/s or so, and then started speeding up again until I lost both damn probes...

So, with √18M sunk into the BBB 7 that it looked like I wasn't going to get back, I replaced my persistence file with a pre-BBB launch backup, and proceeded to get the ferry craft Laggin' Dragon and the parts testing module Waste of Time 7 docked up with the Dunaport space station. That's all I have to show for yesterday; pretty frustrating day over all.

On 2/4/2018 at 6:14 PM, Draconiator said:

Today, my fairing turned into a bird.

The kraken needs his beak back.

I worked on this a bit... I think I may have a problem

lURb2ju.jpg

What

The Kraken

Did you do?

Edited by Kebab Kerman

Having feasted at the Silent King's table and left behind offerings, Orpheus prepares his departure.

e97Gujr.png

Eyes fixed on the firmament, he leaps.

KFpSf9m.png

The Maenads strip away his flesh as wreathed in flame, he pierces the sullen sky.

MRvxhTj.png

With a final wrench, his head is severed at the neck, his body falling into the wine-dark sea to be devoured.

ReqJIR5.png

Alone, he rises. Hades lied. There was no Eurydice. Orpheus sets off, vowing to return.

HkSa8Cq.png

I may have overengineered the return module a little, as what's left of Orpheus has enough dV to get back to Kerbin orbit: the meter reads 2466. The full reorbited mass is a hair under six tons, including fuel. That means I spent almost exactly 7000 m/s to get it up there. Orbit is around 185 km. Moreover the ascent was not optimal, both because this was my first ever attempt, and because it's a probe so I went into plasma blackout at one point which took Ap a good deal higher than I wanted to.

Now the planning starts for the real mission. With what I learned I can optimise the system a fair bit, especially the return module: I was already almost out of the atmosphere when I fired up its engine, and I was running it at quarter power or less most of the time, which means I can replace the Dart with a Terrier for another 0.5 tons of payload mass plus a bit better Isp. There's also some stuff I can do to the lifter -- I don't think the wing strakes were strictly necessary, and the ISRU carried more cooling than it needed.

But overall, Orpheus performed to expectation. I finally returned to orbit from Eve's surface, and I did it with something that was a plane at least a part of the time -- and no heat shields. That makes me a very happy kerbal!

Edit: more post-mission study. 

It turns out that swapping out the Dart for a Terrier led to a whole cascade of changes. I also figured out how to make my kerbal pod even lighter. I did a proof of concept that cut down the size of the whole thing massively while giving it a few hundred m/s more dV. I would be able to get rid of the centre Mk3 fuselage blocks entirely, and drop two of the six Vectors for the lifter stage. 

Alternatively, I can take more stuff to Eve and back. In theory this just might be able to haul the Mk1-2 heavy command pod up and down, but that would shave the margins a bit closer than I'd like. I came up with an alternative that puts the light Mk1 pod inside a 2.5 m utility bay and putting the rest of the fiddly little stuff under a fairing which replaces the nose cone; this would retain more or less the same dV as the Orpheus while having better thermal resistance and of course somewhat nicer quarters for the proud volunteer who's going to Eve. 

So I dunno what I'm going to do with this really. Eventually a kerbaled mission, I'm sure, but for now I want to unwind with some easier stuff, like visiting the rest of the Jolian system and maybe flying from there to Dres and Eeloo with the assets I have in place. Or if I'm really feeling adventurous, building a surface base on Vall -- it'll be a different exercise than the one on Laythe, since there's no atmosphere.

I've even been thinking of a surface base on Tylo. That would pose a whole new set of challenges, but rather different ones from what I've been doing so far. I've got a reusable Tylo lander, but a surface base would mean a complete redesign of everything since I'd be taking heavy stuff down but not up, and would be able to refuel my shuttle downwell ... if I can land it precisely enough.

My tech tree is just about complete. I have 2550 Sci worth of nodes left open -- two 1000-Sci ones, one 550 -- and 1450 Sci in the bank; I can easily get what's left just by doing a bit of biome-hopping on Laythe, Vall, or Duna; I have on-site capability for that. And come next transfer window, I'll bring back the head of Orpheus with some stuff in it too. We'll see if I can maintain interest in exploring the Kerbol system without the rush of Sci injections and new tech nodes to open to keep me motivated.

Edited by Guest

My giant probe-controlled Hermes II spacecraft was just about ready for a Moho encounter burn, when I decided to do one more refueling mission. I took the same refueling vessel as before up to the spacecraft, docked with it, and managed to replenish the entire remainder of the lifter stage. This proved to be a good call, as my Moho injection burn used up over 90% of that stage's fuel in a ~2 km/s burn. Once that burn was done, the remaining oxidizer was transferred to Hermes II for the robotic lander. A bit of tweaking about 5 Kerbin days later put Hermes II on a rough encounter trajectory towards Moho. I want to get into orbit in the least fuel expensive way possible, but I'm not too sure how to do so. Hermes II currently has 115 Kerbin days until Moho encounter.

qvsaRv5.png

nl9nhaq.png

JiibUTI.png

ysUd5f4.png

DJ3JO05.png

JPQ2MQE.png

Not wanting to waste 115 days timewarping, I decided to develop a new advanced craft: Nantosuelta I, named after yet another one of my false positive Kepler candidates. It's a recoverable 3-kerbal lander mean to head into orbit and land on as many biomes as possible. It's equipped with four Mystery Goo experiments, four Science Jrs, an atmospheric analysis experiment, and several other science-gathering devices. The first mission of Nantosuelta I was to gather data from at least one biome around Kerbin's north pole. Bob Kerman, along with the experienced Mivie Kerman and the newcomer Lunne Kerman, were tasked with piloting Nantosuelta I on its maiden voyage. 

Nantosuelta I was launched on a large Titan II lifter. Despite not even meant to reach a stable orbit, it needed a large lifter stage to get such a heavy lander (over 60 tons) into an expensive polar trajectory. Launch went pretty normal, except for the craft's unusual flight path. Reentry also went rather smoothly. Prior to atmospheric entry, the rest of the lifter stage was ditched and the expandable heat shield opened up to provide significant amounts of drag and prevent crucial parts of the craft from being destroyed during reentry. Around 5 km up, the parachutes were deployed, which fully opened up at 1.5 km above sea level. The heat shield was dropped (thankfully not taking out any of the engines), and Nantosuelta I began a powered/parachute landing, using the fallen heat shield as a marker for how high the craft really was relative to the somewhat elevated surface. Nantosuelta I safely touched down in Kerbin's Poles, where after waiting until day, all three kerbals ran the experiments, gathered some data themselves, stored data gathered from the descent, planted a flag, and ate some snow (Bob ended up with a brainfreeze for the remainder of the mission).

g8HgMdC.png

F0fa50W.png

bi7U7yy.png

qYJ75Wd.png

khvxRol.png

rxJS3EW.png

Hg3FELn.png

After finishing a full analysis of the Poles biome, Lunne Kerman repacked as many parachutes as she could reach...which was only about 3/4th of all parachutes on the craft. Several were hidden behind other pieces of equipment, completely out of reach for any Kerbal. The remaining parachutes would have to do. Nantosuelta I lifted off a few minutes later, heading over to either the Tundra or Highlands biome. Any one would do, but the Tundra was preferred, as some other missions had gathered data from the Highlands when returning to Kerbin. One quick, relatively uneventful flight later, and Nantosuelta I was in the Tundra biome. The exact same procedure as before was executed. Once that was done, the craft and its enormous load of scientific data were recovered.

FK0rtN6.png

Jsy4QN1.png

vt7QFOn.png

xxje1Xj.png

Nantosuelta I's first mission was an enormous success. It was the first major Kerbin-directed science mission in - I'm not kidding - a few Kerbal years. It was the most successful mission of its kind and completely exploited all of the science possible for two entire biomes. Or, at least, that's what I thought. It turns out I forgot to use my atmospheric analysis instrument in both biomes. It looks like I have some probes to drop soon...

As I wait for Hermes II to reach Moho, there will be some other stuff going on. Eve is nearing the right position for a Hohmann Transfer, so R&D has began development on a new Eve probe called Aphrodite II. It will be a more advanced and robust probe, meant to do several dives into Eve's upper atmosphere and gather data that is pretty risky to collect, given how dangerous it is to even touch its atmosphere. It will also come with a small probe meant to be dropped from Low Eve Orbit. Here's how it works: once in a close, stable orbit, Aphrodite II will point retrograde and release the probe. Its sepatron boosters will fire it away from Aphrodite II and result in an Eve impact trajectory. The probe will re-orient itself for atmospheric entry and safely parachute down to the surface below. I sent up a prototype to test around Kerbin, and it worked pretty well. I'll need to add more stuff to the lander probe, however.

Y2IoDji.png

qq20kBH.png

1w2mwDH.png

X0WHoJ3.png

I will also be working on Minmus Base some more. I now have some better ideas for setting it up, and I think the end result will be pretty cool. It will also require Mivie Kerman's new ship: the AMDRV Montu II.

Hey there all Kerbolides.

My crew as left Laythe. After doing a simulation were they went direct Eeloo they found the ship to lack a few hundred Delta-V.

So they went to Pol for some fuel.

1wuu99Tl.png

Val planted the second flag (Second time on Pol). Nobody else wanted to get out.

Bill and Bob were having a heated game of Pong. Jeb was waiting to take on the winner.

As soon as they had mined enough to fill all the tanks they left for Eeloo

5FqSWwul.png

They got to Eeloo a short 6 years later.

Hrd7wAY.png

They have now landed on every moon and planets of the system.

(Well, not Eve but they did probe it).

(Oh and not Jool.) (Coulda, shoulda probed it)

Except one. They haven't landed on Kerbin yet. Let's see how that will work out. Falling from the edge of the system.

40 years on the ship clock.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant