What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@Geonovast If it comes to editing my save or waiting for someone to make a mod for that I'd rather install Karbonite, set its engines minThrust to the same as maxThrust, make a booster stack from its tanks and call that a day. Karbonite is in large part treated as SolidFuel but is refillable and transferrable....But I hear a lot that Karbonite is expensive. :/ 

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

@Geonovast If it comes to editing my save or waiting for someone to make a mod for that I'd rather install Karbonite, set its engines minThrust to the same as maxThrust, make a booster stack from its tanks and call that a day. Karbonite is in large part treated as SolidFuel but is refillable and transferrable....But I hear a lot that Karbonite is expensive. :/ 

I play sandbox, so money is no object.

But this sounds like a good opportunity for me to get started on modding.  I don't know squat about C#, but I'm no stranger to programming, and obviously I don't mind mucking around in save files.

@CatastrophicFailure's just gonna have to wait.

29 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Brilliant! Absolutely not the way I would have done it (which is probably a good thing), hows the flex on that single docking port with the latest version?

Iunno.  Seems fine, I guess, but I am running KJR, don't know if that's affecting it much.

I don't understand IR at all.  Meshes are changing when I launch the vessel, hinges want to fold backward which looks to be physically impossible, symmetrical parts behave opposite of each other when they're told to do the same thing... I just don't get it.

After I play with it a bit some more, I'll start a new thread elsewhere about its progress and stop cluttering up here.

h8TaO6.png

Edited by Geonovast

My Duna flyer experiment failed spectacularly. It entered the atmosphere just fine and glided ok. I could even fly in a controlled manner at fairly low altitudes but at a somewhat high speed (>300m/s). I got some nice science done and then that's when I realized that landing at 300m/s just wasn't going to happen. I lined up the landing three times. One of those times I damaged the tail on one of the booms. On the final approach I threw the electric props in reverse right before touchdown. The uneven ground caused a bounce that rolled the plane left and the left wing collided with the ground. After the tumbling fiery carnage stopped, Val and Bob were still alive but the sci canister (the most important part) was destroyed. Main life support was also destroyed(secondary LS has only 5h) but there was a rover that landed just over 60km away. Val and Bob were saved. here's a pic of the crash.

0F328999F1B076C9F0D00986029E0C10F87904D5

I'll try a Duna flyer again. Perhaps with vtol rockets next time.

Today I finally completed the Rosetta-Philae inspired mission with Ptolemaios probe.

W6XLmHE.png

I reworked a bit more the Ariadne 5ECA to make it looks a bit more like a 5G+.

Then...

OUEzZyo.png

More than fourteen years later the probe was reactivated for a final trajectory correction maneuver, only some days before the encounter with the "comet".

ukveL09.png

Alas, the comet is lacking a tail, but otherwise I find the model absolutely beautiful. It's a work by lajowinker, and can be found at the Realistic Ascension page.

YefkkGH.png

A final perigee lowering maneuver and the orbit was established at 1100 x 1057 meters only, orbiting at 2.8 m/s. Yes, it is slow. REALLY slow.

2AjHnti.png

Quickly, the lander was uncoupled from the orbiting probe for its single way trip. Equipped with two Ants engines, it is enjoying more than 1.5 km/s of impulsion available, more than enough for its mission.

UGdg9Hr.png bNxKECJ.png

Approximately one minute after the uncoupling, the lander had to realize a retroburn of 2.4 m/s to start its long, smooth, but stressful descent, as the link with the probe was essential for the success of the mission.

7POZ71b.png PW1bzWI.png

All these minutes to make some slight corrections to evade any collision with the terrain were also a good occasion to enjoy the unusual topography of this body. 

gc2H1WM.png gT0PZNx.png

Then, a good landing site was finally selected, requiring another incredible burn of 4.6 m/s this time! Alas, so stupid I was to believe that everything was completed then...

ahWGRb9.png

With a local gravity of 0.001 (yes FIVE times less than Gilly) I didn't know what will happen during the touch down... and I should have. Some terrible bounces and ricochets followed this landing attempt for some minutes...

QpA9UWk.png

Finally, the lander stayed nearly well on the surface of the comet (still moving a bit, alas). Then I found that the problem was coming from the landing legs. Once retracted the craft could stand here without even using the upper engine.

I3CFHcw.png DCGzFvH.png

The flight can be considered as a success, with a nice number of "first" accomplished during the nervous last hours.

hMEfOi4.png

Now I don't really know if I should try to save the probe by sending her anywhere else with its remaining 1037 m/s, or to leave her around the comet. As the perigee of the body is extremely low, there is a high probability to loose her and the lander during the closest encounter with Kerbol.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

After I play with it a bit some more, I'll start a new thread elsewhere about its progress and stop cluttering up here.

Keep me posted... and record some video. <_<

53 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

Some terrible bounces and ricochets followed this landing attempt for some minutes...

Just chalk it up to maintaining historical accuracy.  :D Those payouts tho! :o

Album /a/VzOuN will appear when post is submitted
My first asteroid capture! Here's the little bugger that pulled it off with almost no fuel left!

A fully* manual captured Class-A asteroid now rests in a 100km equatorial orbit! Total cost of the mission was 70,210 funds (x~2 because I forgot to include RCS and reaction wheels on the first one) and took about an hour and a half, most of it fiddling with the markers. Really wish we had finer control over those.

*I don't use autopilot with mechJeb unless I've successfully done the same thing at least 5 times with the same rocket. IE: I auto-piloted the hauler up because I've manually used the launching stage successfully at least a dozen times already. Seems like a fair trade off to me to justify the ease of MechJeb. I gotta do it myself multiple times before I'm allowed to let autopilot take over! Mostly its just there to give orbital and dV stats.

And now I don't know what to do next.
Edited by Krow
Fixed the link! Oops.

Back in After Kerbin, the Mantis Station captures at Tillos, the largest moon of the green giant Reaper. There were a lot of fuel flow problems: tanks being used that shouldn't have been used, certain engines apparently ignoring crossfeed being disabled to parts far from those engines.

A SCANsat altimetry scan of only the equator and the immediate latitudes about it was done to make things a little easier on the lander. There's much more faith in the lander's capability now after the near tragedy with Demise (that lonely planet being a few hairs tougher than Tillos). A perfect 70km orbit was finally secured and the crew began sharpening their nerves for the first of three great (planned) excursions.

HlP1LCT.jpg

zA3uKLq.jpg

20 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

@Krow, that link doesn't point to where you seem to think it points. :D

Erm, yeah! I knew that. :/ Fixed now.

And wait, how do I just get it to appear inline? D**it Jim, I'm an astronaut, not a computer genius!

Edited by Krow

4 hours ago, AngrybobH said:

I'll try a Duna flyer again. Perhaps with vtol rockets next time.

Duna begs for massive control surfaces and a fair bit of wing. With that thin air and low gravity, planes just go forward in a straight line, eventually into a dune, whump. But it's doable.

Drogue chutes ought to help for landing too. I want to put them on my next one, if I make one.

@XB-70A I love the aesthetics on those probes of yours.

Today, it had been one year since I last booted up KSP.

I blew the dust off the controls in the tracking station, fired up the tracking computers, and watched the big screen spring to life for the first time in a long time.

Many weird and wonderful things were found all over the Kerbol system. Long forgotten satellites orbiting Kerbin, derelict rovers on Eve, missing probes aimlessly wandering around Kerbol, abandoned bases on the Mun, a station in orbit around ... Dres? ... and a lot of really bored Kerbals all over the place.

And then, I stumbled upon this:

b8PzalL.png

Clearly, I was planning something Grand before quitting KSP.

9 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Today I finally completed the Rosetta-Philae inspired mission with Ptolemaios probe.

Wow, that's great! Thank you for using RA. This is the exact type of mission I was hoping people would do.

Indeed, default settings of landing legs are way too springy. :)

Edited by lajoswinkler

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Just chalk it up to maintaining historical accuracy.  :D Those payouts tho! :o

:D All the screenshots are coming from my second landing attempt, the first was actually terrible as the lander ended in a crevasse!

gdHeBiQ.png

Not as horrible as what really happened to this poor Philae, but still... damn you, you bad lander!

7 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

@XB-70A I love the aesthetics on those probes of yours.

Thank you for these words! To be honest it's even reassuring :)

I started to work on a Parker Solar Probe-like craft five days ago, but I found the final result is looking too ugly...

s8N5Hnx.png

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

Wow, that's great! Thank you for using RA. This is the exact type of mission I was hoping people would do.

Indeed, default settings of landing legs are way too springy. :)

All my pleasure, the details of your mod is really awesome. I was a bit perplex at first when, in the tracking station, I saw the comet being "round", even by zooming at max... how wrong I was, when I saw what it truly was while approaching it. It was like a real dream vision! Also, as the encounters have to be realized extremely far from Kerbol, I finally realized that the lack of the tail is far from being a problem, it's even more realistic.

19 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

:(   There are some days when everything's going fine, and then I fire up KSP and my rockets start flipping and exploding.

Let's just say that if that inverse relationship holds true, then I am in for a spectacularly successful KSP session this evening.  

No... it was worse-- far worse... I didn't have time to KSP at all.      :mad: