What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 minute ago, Atkara said:

I take it you plan to use the heat shield as an umbrella and the parachutes are there for decor :)

I plan to use the heat shield as a heat shield, and the parachutes as parachutes.

The central part (nerva engines, crew compartments, most of the fuel, heatshields and chutes) can detach from the ... exoskeleton? (rover bits, science bay, mining stuff).

Ditching the heavy parts gives it around 6000dv which should be enough to get me home. Still need to test aerobraking, reentry and landing though.

The mining rover still works without the central section so can be reused by future expeditions. (will probably add a claw and/or extra docking port)

1 minute ago, McFarnsworth said:

I plan to use the heat shield as a heat shield, and the parachutes as parachutes.

You implied you were going to Moho.

Moho has no atmosphere.  Therefore a heatshield and parachutes will be completely useless.

6 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

You implied you were going to Moho.

Moho has no atmosphere.  Therefore a heatshield and parachutes will be completely useless.

True. The heathield and parachutes can also imply I intend to return from Moho. :wink:

That said, I can't blame anyone for not immediately knowing what everything on my hideous mess of parts is for and if it's functional or not based on two crappy screenshots, so I was just trying to provide some context for it in my follow up post.

But as was established earlier, the heatshield isn't entirely useless on Moho as it can be used as an umbrella, ... or a hat.

gbwfNZ7.png

Just now, Geonovast said:

No.  :(  Can't attach anything to it radially.  I've got another centrifuge from another mod and it's the same way.

Aww.......

Do you need a rover with stupidly big wheels?

Replace him with rover. Top text shamelessly stolen.

I finally did it! I have a working 2.5m rocket design now! Just achieved a stable orbit at 103km with 1200m/s delta-v left in the second stage, more than enough for a mun encounter and landing! I have no idea what I was doing wrong before, honestly. I didn't change much in the launching stages but I did change the payload a bit. Is there a bug where the payload drag is still in effect even inside a fairing? It's the only thing I can imagine would have caused the roll.

Either way! I now have a 3 kerbal lander on its way to the Mun! Now I can begin launching the science modules and begin building a munar research base!

Just now, Krow said:

I finally did it! I have a working 2.5m rocket design now! Just achieved a stable orbit at 103km with 1200m/s delta-v left in the second stage, more than enough for a mun encounter and landing! I have no idea what I was doing wrong before, honestly. I didn't change much in the launching stages but I did change the payload a bit. Is there a bug where the payload drag is still in effect even inside a fairing? It's the only thing I can imagine would have caused the roll.

Either way! I now have a 3 kerbal lander on its way to the Mun! Now I can begin launching the science modules and begin building a munar research base!

Congrats!

Although it is insanely difficult to even guess about the problem without pictures.

Had my fun with 2 small sstos, aptly named "Fun for two" & "Fun for Jeb", respectively. When the latter re-entered with -obviously- Jeb onboard, I was like "If he manages to land it, I'll let him keep it". He did. Well, let him have his fun -after all, it's going to be quite boring where he's going in a year or so: Eeloo. On the other hand, we'll get to see how small the sun looks from all the way out there.

Two landers circularized around Gilly. I was still in the map screen, when I pressed "warp to next maneuver". After switching back to normal view, it didn't take long for that rock to fill the screen so fast, that got me genuinely scared for a moment.

One of the two inbound recovery vessels, got into stable orbit around Kerbin, after it's transfer from Eve. Fixed it's inclination, and launched a cargo SSTO to meet up with it. Had forgotten how fast they can go, relative to the product of my recent "designing adventure". Still thinking in 730tons, I got the thing pretty heated up, accelerating in the middle atmosphere. Still, they got into orbit alright -no damage to the plane.

I'll complete the op tomorrow, along with that of the other recovery vessel, inbound from Moho in 30days. And there's a load of other tasks in queue. Kerbal Space Traffic Control, anyone? :P

Edited by Atkara

"The Ambassador from The Ionosphere Nation, His Excellency Jebediah Kerman, prepares to depart after concluding successful (and largely peaceful*) negotiations to annex Kerbin"

edk1bcj.png

* regrettably, a vodka or two was splashed into an opposing face on occasion to cool down discussions which, at times, did became heated (particularly when the subject of soccer was ill-advisedly raised).

[Clearly, I don't have enough to do.  My Sprint is winding down.  But I am happy to have my own flag!]

Edited by Hotel26

So, needed some more science before I could build my munar base. Missing a few parts that I need. Decided to send a 'simple' mobile research base to Minmus. Getting the death roll again. As mentioned before, I assume its the CoM issue? Does that mean my payload needs to be lighter, or heavier? Sorry, never really had these issues with the smaller 1.25m rockets. Uncharted territory for me!

Removed the fairing to show payload, if that makes any kind of difference.

Album /gallery/Lht1t will appear when post is submitted
Edit: And I seriously fail at this imgur linking thing.
Edited by Krow

6 minutes ago, Krow said:

And I seriously fail at this imgur linking thing.

I don't know about imgur "album" but I can tell you what works.  Load shots as individual images; not as an album.  Then, for each image, click the image to select it and then click the BBCode on the imgur page to get a link to paste into your forum post.  *That* will work...

This *might* work for an album, as long as links for each image separately are copied-and-pasted using the BBCode.

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Krow said:

Getting the death roll again.

Death roll? Whats that? You mean flipping out often? Maybe try putting the fairing around it to help with asymetrical drag? Or more fins at the bottom.

As for what I actually did.... (images in spoilers to avoid cluttering)

First was mucking about with the 'MehMobile' an in progress design with a name change necessary. I kinda like it but it needs work.

Spoiler

VW8Hsii.png

kMGUWAn.png

Then I tried a 2G SSTO. Its harder than it seems. The issue is that what would normally be sufficient to leave the atmosphere isn't. Perhaps drag optimization or just more oxidizer and a better ascent profile would help, but IDK

Spoiler

X8Ah6Ft.png

And then I came up with a brilliant idea to try and "colonize" Eeloo, a planet I've never legitimately visited. So a relay sat for that was tested out with a launch to KSO.

Spoiler

6p0YOJG.png

Very nice Khrushchev cross from a not too overbuilt launcher.

Xfuq8kf.png

And in orbit.

And a tiny Snowmobile, cause it seems like Eeloo would have snow. Or something like that. ok the engineers just wanted to make one.

Spoiler

y2FsjXo.png

crtKBz6.png

Explosions!

And a bonus image of that 'MehMobile' cause why not. spectra is so gorgeous i don't think i can stand stock graphics anymore...

zZyU1qp.png

Recently, I had something of an epiphany: I kinda suck at this game. I suck at rockets. I suck at planes. I am just not very good at aerospace in general. And admittedly, some of the weird, amazing stuff you guys build like flying cars or massive thousand-kerbal space stations or what-have-you makes me feel rather inadequate by comparison.

So to make myself feel better I decided to build something I am good at.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Medieval siege weapons!

This is a fully functional stock trebuchet that launches fuel tanks. Because why not? 

The screenshots don't really do it justice. There's something magnificent - and incredibly amusing - about watching this thing in action. The explosion when the tank hits the ground doesn't hurt, either.

7A2F98FB3E46B609C1C8FA620A1BCFCFD18987D8

It doesn't throw it very far, mind you. Lacking ropes in stock I couldn't give it a proper trebuchet sling, and had to make do with a catapult-style arm - there's a little shock absorber doodad mounted between the legs of the trebuchet to abruptly stop the counterweight arm and send the payload flying (instead of just slamming it into the ground immediately in front of the trebuchet as this design would if it didn't have a sudden stop).

I also had an improved design that makes up for the lack of ropes by using a sort of double-pendulum arm, but "hinges" in stock are... not sturdy - as one would expect, considering that they're structural fuselages strung onto girders (or whatever else I happened to put them on) like a roll of toilet paper on a holder. I could probably make them sturdier if I attached the girder to the structure at both ends rather than just strutting the loose end to the stand, but I didn't want to bother with turning on part clipping so I could anchor the girder on both sides - maybe some other time. Anyway, I was having some issues getting the secondary launching arm to stay attached to the assembly, and lost interest before nailing down the design - but it did look promising, and I think it could toss a fuel barrel quite a ways if I can get it functional. I should probably also add another "hinge" to the counterweight arm so it can drop more naturally, as it currently has a tendency to occasionally snap and/or explode from the strain when the counterweight arm hits the stopper.

Repurposed my Minmus crew lander to a Mun shuttle (but not before refueling [with KIS] and heading to my propellant depot in LKO); performed an EVA to install batteries on the lander (also with KIS), and headed to my Munar base

0h9X0gq.png

ptHaSLI.png

uYOOVqL.png

pcKWJj3.png

RpeGWIx.png

8YzGxeb.png

Kgyk2et.png

Edited by Pipcard

I just repeated [twice more] Challenge 3 in the Gossamer Albatross Academy training course.  Landed 59m from the flag after traversing 137 deg arc across the Mun's equator.  Because I bounced, one of those stupid little dinky toy fixed landing gear made of @#$! explodium [TM] detonated, but the craft, listing to one side, was otherwise unhurt, all occupants hale and hearty, and the craft still serviceable.

Bear with me for a few seconds, fellow Kerbonauts!  Imagine the world's best pilots -- Chuck Yeager material -- getting in to a tin can and claiming, " I can pilot this!  I can fly anything...!"  Can you feel the intense bravado!?

Being a conventional pilot, in terms of experience, has got about nothing (except pulling Gs and wearing a pressure suit) in common with "flying" in zero atmosphere.

But what makes a great pilot is someone who can figure out anything in real-time -- under extreme pressure.  And about a hundred other items, too, such as attention to detail; resourcefulness; planning ahead...

---

The Gossamer Albatross is actually a fecal piece of engineering.  That's because I am a hopeless klutz in the VAB/SPH.  I have NO sense of aesthetics.  And I'm such a red-neck, I'm actually proud of it...  :)

But what ion drive on a lo-grav body represents -- and correct me if someone has done this in KSP beforehand -- is a third kind of flying:

1. you have aviation through the air [SPH].
  2. you have rocketry through the void [VAB].
  3. Albatross is a third metaphor for parting those "surly bonds of gravity", quite unlike its other two predecessors.

This is Chuck Yeager invited to sit in an Apollo capsule.

This is Robert Lindbergh invited to lock grip with the joystick of one of the early Sikorksy helicopters.  [He did and had to sleep on it overnight to figure it out!]

This is Neil Armstrong invited to strap in to a 21st century lo-grav flitter.

This is -- a paradigm shift.

---

I've been persuaded that Albatross needs to be rebuilt to federal standards.  It does.  I've produced Lepidoptera in response.  It's nice.  But Albatross was so well-balanced, personality-wise, and the Challenges (not so strenuously aforethought) were so serendipitously tuned to Albatross that the result, the Gossamer Albatross Academy, is a Mozart symphony.

If you consider yourself a Yeager; a Lindbergh; an Armstrong; or just a lover of all aviation, please take this challenge.

I'd like to see a hundred new designs for lo-grav "flitters" coming out of this and G.A. thus assigned to the dustbin of history, forgotten!

[Now quite verklempt...]

Edited by Hotel26