What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

19 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

That looks like Laythe.  [an old shot]

I found a pretty flat one recently on Duna, though:

Reveal hidden contents

1N 2E

Just checked the map. That is a relatively flat area (just a few hundred meters northeast of those coords), but that's a pretty narrow target with 4+ degree slopes to the east and south if you miss the mark. I have an available lander, so maybe I'll drop in and check it out. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

a pretty narrow target with 4+ degree slopes

Yep!  Well, the perfect landing site for VTOL craft is a flat, tall mesa where you can perform the penultimate deceleration by swooping out of of a deep valley.  :)  I haven't gone looking for those exact specifications, though.  For VTOL, you don't strictly need a flat area, but you have your fuel trucks, your admin block, support staff, cafeteria etc...

Edited by Hotel26

I've been working on a lithium propelled regenerative LS / ISRU interplanetary craft.  Got it up into orbit...

49escreenshot125.png

Unfortunately had some separation issues with discarding the lifter, and the ship was damaged.  Instead of simply reverting, I decided to rendevous with Akron station, which some of you are probably familiar with at this point.  I don't have any screenshots of this part, but since my new ship is hilariously not set up for docking, I parked it a couple hundred meters away from the station, and all 4 crew EVAed over to the station.  Afterwards, I needed to dispose of the craft, so naturally I just burned it sub-orbital and watched the show.  The ship broke up, but the camera stayed with the largest chunk:

screenshot126.png

Had I known THIS was going to happen, I would have just left the crew on board!

Nosed down into the ground at nearly 200 m/s.  All that happened was the docking port on the end blew up, and it flipped over to rest here.

4 hours ago, LordFerret said:

That's an awesome landing site! Wish I could have found such on Duna, would have made my life a lot easier.

My plan for Duna is to set up on the bottom of one of the canyons, in a trough between the dunes. The landing area itself ought to be fairly straightforward but placing everything else might not be. It's even possible I'll have to set the base itself on top of a nearby dune and then do a bit of driving between that and the landing zone.

In re Laythe, I did do a bit of scouting for it, and JUNO MIDGE was instrumental for that part of the mission as it flies low and slow and it's easy to see what the terrain looks like. I was lucky though, that spot was only about 30 km from where I first touched down. Great view of Jool too!

4 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

That looks like Laythe.  [an old shot]

Old spot, new shot. It's the Pelican 2 finally arriving, with an improved tractor and tanker. (They are waaay easier to handle and park; one annoying issue with Kosmodrome Laythe is that the sand must have a really peculiar consistency because things slide around a lot even on slight inclines; the new tractor and tanker have a much better grip on the ground and turn much more easily.)

ARRRGHHHHH

Eve mission is...stupid? Hard. I have this brilliant LV stuck in a cargo bay. Guess what though? A STUPID STRUT IS IN THE WAY!!!! So I tried to hack it away in a save file. Don't know how, so I just installed a mod to explode it. But beyond that, eve reentry and landing on water was surprisingly easy once I had all the fuel pumped appropriately.

AND THEN. I didn't really test my ascent vehicle. So whoopde doo, guess what? It sucks. A lot. TWR is barely 1 ASL. And I thought the first stage would go farther. It didn't. So it doesn't actually leave Eve.

I'm annoyed now....

Edited by qzgy

9 minutes ago, Jett_Quasar said:

Should this be my new Millennium Falcon?

Image may contain: outdoor

-

Beautiful build!

Though as one note of criticism, its missing the notch in the front. Unless the design has been updated or something.

If you like it though and it works better than the old one, go for it.

30 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Beautiful build!

Though as one note of criticism, its missing the notch in the front. Unless the design has been updated or something.

I believe this may be modled on the new (old?) version we’ll see in the upcoming Solo film, when Han was yet young and the Falcon already old but with a much better paint job. 

50 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Image may contain: outdoor

Beautiful build!

18 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I believe this may be modled on the new (old?) version we’ll see in the upcoming Solo film, when Han was yet young and the Falcon already old but with a much better paint job. 

CatastrophicFailure got it right, it's based on the design of the Falcon in the new Han Solo movie (which is set 10 years before the original Star Wars movie).  I'm not sure why that extra part is on the front of the ship but I'm starting to really like the new design.

- Jett

Edit:  Also I'm going to just put this here:

- Jett

Edited by Jett_Quasar

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

I'm annoyed now....

Welcome to the Eve fanclub.

It's most rewarding when you do succeed though.

-- Made my first landing in a VTOL plane on Duna. Found a nice flat spot for the Kosmodrome in a canyon. Sadly the surface ore concentration is so low that I'll have to relocate; the recovery rate is so slow that the fuel output can't even supply the ISRU with the power it needs to run.

This shot looks more dramatic than it is -- I'm just pitched up to brake to a stop before touching down.

In any case, Duna begs for VTOL planes. They work really well. At least this one does -- one of the least stressful landings I've done anywhere. 

bSk7rfm.png

Edited by Guest

I have finally completed the wagon train. All parts for the orbital station and surface base are on their way. I have no idea if all or even most of them will reach their target, and I'm a little bit worried about the ones that are carrying kerbals. But I made sure all of them had a minimum amount of fuel left after the Kerbin escape maneuver that I think should be enough to at least reach orbit, so if something goes wrong, I can send a rescue mission for my brave settlers during the next launch window.

The map's kind of a mess right now with all these spacecraft on their way out of Kerbin's SOI.

too_many_crafts_by_littlefiredragon-dc48

Also, one of these is a fuel truck, which carries fuel from the mining base to a lander that lifts it to the station, because trying to land anything actually on the base instead of just near it is ridiculous. I bring this up for two reasons. One being that it's a particularly awkward thing to transport and gave me a bit of trouble. There's no space on the back to attach it to anything, and the docking port on the front is not centered, so using that as the payload attachment point is asking for something to tip over. It's too wide to fit in a cargo bay, so no luck there either. And for the reasons I've already mentioned you basically have to attach to it on the top or bottom, and it's too long when oriented that way to put a reasonable fairing around it. So I just built an awkward lifter above/around it, which flies surprisingly well.

The second reason I bring this up is that, appropriately enough, I noticed it vaguely resembles a conestoga.

wagon_train_to_duna_by_littlefiredragon-

Made another spaceship, and of course, lazy me reuses the same makeshift launcher I used for the O2. Total launch mass of 1500 tons to launch a 120 tons ship, with a resulting TWR of around 3 once everything is done. Totally not overkill.
This time at least I got to deorbit the launchers.

6Sux7es.png

Strangely enough the radiators are heating up somehow despite there being nothing to heat it up. Has the kraken learned to breathe fire?

l9bkikv.png

Approximately 217 days after the first kerbal had been successfully sent to orbit, the GSC began a mission to investigate an object detected in the lagrange point behind our nearest moon, Iota.

The photographs and voice recordings are classified above top secret. By reading further you pledge that your soul now belongs to the mighty... er, that is, the penalty of leaking these documents or the information contained herein is life imprisonment and a denial of all snacks.

For the first week of your sentence. This is a civilised society, after all.

But still, life imprisonment is pretty bad even with snack availability. You won't like it. We asked people who have been life imprisoned and they didn't like it.

tcw8sZ3.jpg

Q0Aczhn.jpg

9cx2d59.jpg

mdch9sU.jpg

Edited by eddiew

The foundation stone of Kosmodrome Aelita has been laid. After surveying three potential locations, all of which had disappointing ore concentrations, the fourth one, in the Midland Sea, proved a success. Regrettably the scenery leaves something to be desired, but it is sufficiently level and has nearly 5% surface ore, which is ample for our high-efficiency ISRU unit.

Cmdr Danford Kerman on the Cyclone will perform a partial refuel, then return to orbit to retrieve the surface tanker, followed by the other Kosmodrome units.

Cmdr Kerman reports that the Cyclone performs overall to expectation, but future versions could benefit from somewhat more wing surface; without assistance from the hover thrusters, the glide angle is somewhat reminiscent of a brick. This requires highly precise re-entry in order to avoid excessive fuel consumption on approach. 

We will see if Cmdr Kerman revises his assessment for landings with more typical mission payloads -- it is not expected to land the Cyclone under as full a fuel load as for this initial mission.

(Now that she's been battlefield-tested, I published the craft file on KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/Cyclone )

pfKLfJG.png

yhOctmj.png

xzVo83w.png

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

There is no such thing as overkill, I use a BFR for almost all of my missions, even just to shuttle crew to LKO.

I've been preparing to use my Big Fine Rockets as tankers for eventual Mun/Minmus based refining and support. (admittedly, I'm playing Science mode, so it costs me nothing...) 

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

By reading further you pledge that your soul now belongs to the mighty... er, that is, the penalty of leaking these documents or the information contained herein is life imprisonment and a denial of all snacks.

*gasp* ALL snacks?!?!?!

*throws computer out window*

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

For the first week of your sentence. This is a civilised society, after all.

Damnit! *goes and gets computer back, puts cardboard over ex-window*

14 minutes ago, Kerbalwerks said:

Too much awesome here, love it!

There is no such thing as 'too much awesome'. :D Especially in KSP!

I did not really had the time to play recently, so this morning I just took the decision to sent an inaugural exploration flight to Dres, a place I never went before.

EePxpCC.png

The spacecraft consists in three different stage; the lander with 3.3 km/s and equipped with two different instruments, a boosting stage to kick the upper stage out of Dres' gravity with 1.4 km/s, and the scientific module with more than 5 km/s to return to Kerbin safely.

Being pretty weighty for a small/medium probe, I didn't have the choice but to to select the old Gamma IV Heavy for the job.

AIG6AKO.png

It's more than common, it's usual, but for a reason I can't understand I still enjoy all the Kerbol-Mun eclipses!

Alas, the launch window was opening 30 minutes later, preventing to take more screenshots in this condition.

f9lD2qt.png

Scrambling under her 415 t Gamma IV H proved to be reliable and easy to use, once again.

Ga02GM9.png

1 minute 57 seconds later the side boosters where considered as useless and ejected, at an altitude of around 38 km and a speed of 1.3 km/s.

Jecj0QF.png

The burn was stopped around 68 km with the apogee placed at 200, only to restart at this altitude for an immediate transfer to Dres.

FRL2GSj.png

Finally, the system now is on its way to the small ball with what appeared to be a descent trajectory... which was without counting the standard MechJeb error of messing up everything. The trajectory appeared to be terrible once out of Kerbin SoI, and necessitating a correction maneuver of around 120 m/s.

PKCRtmL.png

0ZcbHZ0.png

It also gave me the opportunity to correct a bit more the trajectory. This way should help to save a bit more fuel for the circularization and the landing following. I will probably lower the altitude once on mid-course for a better deceleration.

Capt. Sambin Kerman, having transferred to the Zephyr from the Cyclone, made rendez-vous with Duna Station to retrieve Senior Engineer Nauki Kerman and deliver him to the surface to assist fuel refining operations as well as troubleshoot any problems that may arise, such as wheel failures. The science team was already on board.

Ddflwhe.png

Capt. Kerman performed a successful landing at the under-konstruction Kosmodrome. However, the science team claims that he overshot and performed an Immelmann turn in order to land at the right spot. In the subsequent debriefing, Capt. Kerman was heard mumbling something about "showing those propellerheads how it's done." 

Capt. Kerman has been reprimanded, docked a month's pay, and demoted to First Lieutenant.

cJZnI9B.png

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, MagicFireCaster said:

So i made my first ever trip to Eeloo, is easier there than moho

I discovered that also, and was quite surprised by it. I reused one of my Mun landers as a matter of fact. Descent and landing were a breeze.

11 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

My plan for Duna is to set up on the bottom of one of the canyons, in a trough between the dunes.

I went for a basin rather than a canyon. I'm glad I did too, especially after driving through the length of the Midland Canyon south from the Face. Keep me posted!

8 hours ago, Ace in Space said:

I have finally completed the wagon train.

I hope you've left adequate time/spacing to accommodate insertion burns! I got a little over zealous in my Duna assault, and found myself with an intense mess on my hands... mere seconds to hop back and forth between multiple ships for maneuvers.