What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

15 hours ago, Ace in Space said:

Does that qualify as... a spanner in the works? :cool:

:o*holds nose and runs outside shrieking in protest*

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

I have had rather a pleasant evening, rebuilding my Minotaur Supertanker from scratch. 

Aw, jeez! I downloaded this (V1) from KerbalX but haven't been able to use it since I don't have the appropriate probe core unlocked yet, and I can't find it on the outside to remove it, and I got scared* of disassembling it. (* 'scared' = seemed unlikely that I could get it back together) So I built something else...

15 hours ago, Ace in Space said:

Well, I mean, if I were stranded on a distant planet for a year and a half, I'd probably end up babbling constantly too.

I seem to be doing plenty of that while being right here on Kerbin Earth. :confused:

11 minutes ago, HalcyonSon said:

Reminds me of the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft setup at the Houston Space Center.

The Antonov AN-225 actually saw a lot of service transporting the Soviet Buran space shuttle, so that is quite apt!

Qkxfyn7.jpg

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

After taking a small break, I sat down and executed the transfer burns for the 7 scheduled flights to Eve. Correction burns have also been set up.

Launched two mobile surface miners for Duna & Ike respectively. They had enough fuel for the trip, but I had LFO just sitting there on a XL fuel drone so, I distributed it to them. They should be leaving in 9 days IIRC.

In the brief downtime before launching the expeditions for Bop/Pol & Eeloo, I serviced my -now- main fuel drones. That is, I sent LF up there to cover for their needs too. It's good that I went for nuclear propulsion on them. With 1200dv on full cargo and my rendezvous habits, it takes a while before they start asking for fuel.

XhixTKJ.jpg

2mbQOt9.jpg

Obviously they'll need a fraction of the 20k units of LF they received, but Eeloo expedition's lead vessel is also on nuclear propulsion. Speaking of that... where's Jeb... :P

Edited by Atkara

Ooooookay

Patch for the Eggbox version installed, seems to be working so decided to give it a whirl.

Currently have:

- Unmanned station around Kerbin, waiting two fuel flights to complete a contract, also waiting its first crew flight to get the mission contract thing to see it as a space station and start offering upgrade contracts

- played with Kerbnet, still keep forgetting to put antenna on things

- manned landings on Mun, several out & back missions

- Mun Gateway station started, science lab (as yet unmanned), has Val sitting there with a reusable mun lander thats had a test flight - just need to get a scenic crew to the station

- Mun surface base (contract jobbie), landed with vapour left in the tank (which Bill & Bob were thankful for), which then fell over, but only broke a few solar panels so still working, once the science is exhausted they will be rescued..

- First Minmus mission, have taken to carrying small hitchhiking probes without engines on larger manned flights to drop satellites or probes etc, so dropped one on the surface, some 550 science returned on the first flight.

Nothing outside the Kerbin system as yet but to date no crashes or data loss so looking good

Someone suggested I try a VTOL plane on Duna. Testing has commenced!

bAHW4ly.png

jKpB3xJ.png

Works reasonably well, but needs more wing to handle more like a plane. Currently I think I can remove all wings and just use it as an awkwardly constructed lander.

Could do with mining and science gear as well to be of some use. She ain't pretty either.

Nice! Duna planes always need more wing, and more control surfaces. 

Duna VTOL does work though, I have two there and they're quite a lot of fun. Landings when nearly dry can be a bit tense though...

On 8/24/2016 at 1:53 AM, Francois424 said:

Today I travelled to Tekto.  A sage named @Galileo apparently detected some clouds there yesterday, even tho the "SVE Telescope" never noticed any before... Had to check it out.

After a long trek, we start seeing Sarnus (to the left of the ship):

0SBFFyk.png

Making the Tekto encounter burn :

MW9T7f2.png

Ha here's Tekto... What amazing clouds indeed! The green hue is very Kerbal-ish... Let's decelerate and land on it !!

Ep9bqrM.png

Crossing into the very slim orange layer...

rTApPtT.png

Still falling... The green clouds are back, and pretty thick :

KB0VkNv.png

Engine module jettisoned and Parachutes semi-deployment.  Still can't see a thing.

c6bm3Vr.png

Parachute fully deployed... is that ground I am seeing ?

FYOHYci.png

Yes, it is the ground... My is the Sun shy or what down there ! 

BVxpl93.png

Touchdown !   Bob, you forgot the lights again didn't you ?

2DaWprn.png

Jeb's first flag on Tekto... He's quite happy to have made the trip.

Aj4BmMe.png

That's it.

Galileo, I loved every bit of it and you made Tekto justice. 
The clouds could start much higher in the atmosphere tho.  I don't know if it is possible to do well, but fist green layer ~80k, orange at ~60k, then re-green at ~45k all the way to about 1-3k from the surface or something. 
At any rate this is gorgeous. I sense an extensive exploration of Tekto is coming with my vacations this year.

Thank you.

Just wondering what mod you used for the engine module.

This evening I did some science!

5oMAVwn.png?1

I also seem to have developed a mini kraken.  When I what should be a perfectly stable orbit at 80km there seems to be a small drag going on somewhere, which makes the circulization bun a pain the cheeks as the targets keep moving.  The camera seems to be bouncing around as if there's a lot of turbulance, and sometimes when I hit warp it says it can't warp when moving over the ground.  Very strange.  Dunno if it's a problem with the save (not an issue as it's a Sandbox one for testing kOS stuff), or with my install (bigger problem, really don't want to risk corrupting my career save).

On a fairly new career, I discovered that the Pancake engine from SXT mod does indeed live up to its in-game description of being very rugged.  I had a new 4-seat tourist/training lander capable of Mun & Minmus landings without refueling.  I was taking it out for a test run & misjudged my burn time for the Mun landing.  I slammed down pretty hard & from past experience if it had been a Poodle, I would've needed a rescue mission.  I'm still not sure how I didn't break a landing leg.  Instead I got 4 fresh recruits safely back to KSC with a little fuel to spare so hurray for the Pancake! 

I also got a conveniently timed contract to test a NERV in Minmus orbit just a week before the first Duna transfer window.   That Duna fly-by & return contract now has a more comfortable 5900 dV with the experimental NERV rather than the 3k or so I would've had with chemical rocket.  AND with the Moho window a few weeks later, I have a Moho orbit capable probe instead of the impactor I was planning.   Guess I should do the actual contract now, also.

23 minutes ago, Hans Dorn said:

One does not simply walk into space.

Unless one abruptly cuts the power to the treadmill, of course. Then it's hard not to do so.

Not speaking from personal experience here. Nope. Totally no personal experience. Seriously.

Now, I know what you're thinking. When would I EVER use an SSTO with over 1 thousand parts and with a payload capacity of 2000 tons? I don't know, but I did it anyway! This craft is basically complete, however I cannot post it until I have completed atleast 1 successful test flight, and that's a lot more work than it sounds since 1 minute in game takes about 20-30 minutes in real life. This craft has a stationary thrust equal to that of the Saturn V, and at full whack produces three times the thrust of the Saturn V!

V6IrLry.jpg

CJLcy4V.jpg

IaPxd1F.jpg

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

1 hour ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Now, I know what you're thinking. When would I EVER use an SSTO with over 1 thousand parts and with a payload capacity of 2000 tons? I don't know, but I did it anyway! This craft is basically complete, however I cannot post it until I have completed atleast 1 successful test flight, and that's a lot more work than it sounds since 1 minute in game takes about 20-30 minutes in real life.

V6IrLry.jpg

CJLcy4V.jpg

IaPxd1F.jpg

Wow. Just wow.

Edited by HansonKerman

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

On a fairly new career, I discovered that the Pancake engine from SXT mod does indeed live up to its in-game description of being very rugged. [...] Instead I got 4 fresh recruits safely back to KSC with a little fuel to spare so hurray for the Pancake! 

I also got a conveniently timed contract [...]  Guess I should do the actual contract now, also.

Congrats on the Pancake 'discovery', and yeah, you should do the contract and all. :)

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

I flew my new spaceship for the first time.

GNscpqU.jpg?1

Wow, what life support mod is THAT from? And how many parts does it add?

1 hour ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Now, I know what you're thinking. When would I EVER use an SSTO with over 1 thousand parts and with a payload capacity of 2000 tons? I don't know, but I did it anyway! 

Because, our dear @Kronus_Aerospace, of course you did. :wink:

(out of likes for the day, still working on my half-day post and Imgur...)

12 hours ago, Delay said:

Are you Danny2462 in disguise or something? That is some serious next-level game breaking!

The funny part is, I work in the software industry, and at work I'm rather well known for being a bug magnet, because I find so many strange and obscure glitches in our products. I'm not even a QA tester. I just bump into them by accident. It seems my abilities extend beyond my own company's software.

9 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Dres is dark. I find nightvision a must!

Speaking of, I'm kinda regretting putting my base on one of the dark patches of Ike. My monitor is one of those that has a glass cover on it. That means that whenever I'm playing something dark, I get reflections. Makes it nearly impossible to see what I'm doing.

But right now that seems to be the least of my problems.

2 minutes ago, Ace in Space said:

The funny part is, I work in the software industry, and at work I'm rather well known for being a bug magnet, because I find so many strange and obscure glitches in our products. I'm not even a QA tester. I just bump into them by accident. It seems my abilities extend beyond my own company's software.

Man. I know what it's like being the "horrible terrifying bug magnet". Some of those bugs originated from when I was still in high school, nevermind working on my PhD.

Anyways, on my end: designed my "Saturn 1" rocket to carry the Apollo capsule to a lunar slingshot trajectory. It uses an S-IVB analogous upper stage, and underneath that is an F-1 engine plus four H-1 engines, which should be enough to get the Apollo C/SM into LEO and ready for TLI. Curiously, despite being heavier than the Gimel-6 (which was just barely not enough), the Saturn 1 is cheaper than the Gimel-4: there's a good chance the Saturn 1 will replace the Gimel series as my HLV of choice.

It took some doing, but I got Voyager V en-route to Jupiter. I'd severely underestimated the difficulty of an EEJ (Earth-Earth-Jupiter) tranectory, and how crucial the deep-space maneuvers are. It took me two tries to get it right.

1vWiEq6.png

5027QiE.png

Very key to all this is that you don't re-encounter Earth two years later: you eject slightly inwards of pure-prograde, and burn retrograde at apohelion to encounter Earth about two years and two months into the mission. If you don't do this, you're not going to get favorable slingshot geometry: you need to be approaching from the Sun, not almost parallel to Earth's orbital track.

Curiously, I'm going to get a lunar slingshot when making my Earth slingshot. Not quite this exact geometry: I have a correction burn to make, but still amusing to have gotten the timing so perfect on accident.

U9V3YRL.png

(image album #1 here)

It's been maybe 3 game hours in the last RL, what, two weeks? I found out I had overscheduled myself and have started to cut back on new projects in favor of completing some existing ones. (duh!)

I haven't yet mentioned that, since applying the Kerbal Space Ponies mod (why?!?! I dunno, but silly ponies seem to go well with silly green men in space) that I have occasionally had clever inspirations for themed acronyms. To date:

• Fuel Efficient Exoatmospheric Delivery tanker
  • Communications Orbiter Low Trajectory using a Communotron-32 in a <1Mm orbit
  • HECS Observer Remote Surface Experiments for the Mun & Minmus landers
  • Polar Orbit Nonreturn Explorer Enhanced (or Alpha - PONEA) for scansats (and ScanSAT - or is it SCANSat?)
  • Mining Unmanned Lander Explorer/Experiment

First off, I am beginning to dislike 'landing' on the Mun, though changing to less tippy designs would probably work wonders. Also, KER may imply that I have plenty of fuel, but I think I need considerably more than the minimum at this stage of my piloting (non-)skills.

Spoiler

ii4ySBi.png

Surface Equipment Package has not yet returned me any science, and has produced a lot of yelling (first from figuring out KIS/KAS and its not entirely documented mouse-click-while-holding-keyboard-key-down mechanism; second from random explosions of pieces involved) but I keep doing it anyway.

Spoiler

MqiOcMf.png

Next, I am finding re-usable already-designed pieces to actually be helpful, if rather bloated in the parts-count. At least if I do it once (that is, if I re-do it enough times) and save it, I don't tend to forget things like extra batteries to actually last as long as I need it to.

Spoiler

ffjCiMi.png

COtdrMW.png

And this especially includes unmanned probes.

Spoiler

The new HORSE Block V!

GqHxtQL.png

Ending with the weirdest picture of the day(so far) , from the cardboard box capsules on the sciency balloon.9UCrHze.png

Edited by InterplanetJanet

https://imgur.com/a/JXVbu

My friends, today, in the land of Kerbal Powers (a KSP RP), I have built something amazing. The F-11 Viper. Armed with a nice assortment of missiles, this light fighter can travel pretty far (Well over 30km on the speed test before the engines overheated [derp]), and pretty fast (In the speed test we got a stellar 900+m/s). The design, in my opinion, is kinda cute, but ominous and spooky at the same time. 

nxgxdSI.png

Come on, that looks cool

I know this is a dumb question, but I’m new to the forums, and I have a little question-how to insert a screenshot?

Anyway, going to take all the advice I got, and start a proper Minmus Mining Base!

I conferred with Walt, and he said we should call it the KEMMB (that’s an acronym, not an initialisim) or Kerbal Exploration of Minmus Mining Base.

Or just Kardes Mining base, for short, after the Kreek god of the underworld.

11 minutes ago, Triop said:

Today I've started a new career and saved my science for the flyghty bits.

Got to get 6 survey contracts in 1 go. :cool:

F2PJvcp.png

It's good to be back. ^_^

Awesome. What did Jeb, Wherner, and Gene say about it?

:D