What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

I've always found turns at mach pretty much futile, not without struts reinforcing the wings and such.

I've ripped the wings of planes off while trying to slow them down by pitching up to use air resistance to slow down because I forgot to give it airbrakes.
Let's just say any large maneuvers at 1300+ m/s is not advised.

Edited by Mignear

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I've always found turns at mach pretty much futile, not without struts reinforcing the wings and such. I've also had to put small panel radiators on the engine nacelles, because I've had stuff blow up from atmospheric + engine heat... my Albatross 2 for example.

9 minutes ago, Mignear said:

I've ripped the wings of planes off while trying to slow them down by pitching up to use air resistance to slow down because I forgot to give it airbrakes.
Let's just say any large maneuvers at 1300+ m/s is not advised.

The fun bit is now im wondering if this thing will survive reentry in the current configuration. Usually with planes im pitching up anywhere from 10 to 45 degrees depending on how badly im going to miss KSC so at some point I have to pitch back down to prograde before the air gets too thick and breaks off the wings.

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I've always found turns at mach pretty much futile, not without struts reinforcing the wings and such

I had this problem with my MiG 15, which is why I advised Caps Lock when maneuvering above Mach 1.  But a subsequent revision improved the situation and I think it takes an impact with the ground to break it now.  :)

I started to think along these lines:

1. more AoA purchase as you move the CoL closer to the CoM
  2. but too much when you simply get the plane sideways and cause stall
  3. and too much when the drag from 2 breaks the airframe

There's a kind of low-speed maneuverability, that is fun, that enables you to simply point elsewhere and fire the big guns -- but it doesn't mix well with a high-speed craft.

There is certainly still a case for making the airframe as strong as possible (I use only genuine, Gizmo-brand glue!!).

When I really started to stress test my Pterodactyl 6, I was badly surprised by the fact that a hard turn at slow speed, still loaded while on-fumes fuel-empty is enough to overpower the airframe -- and nothing ruins your day like your wings shedding, low to the ground.

Edited by Hotel26

After the arrival  of the Duna scanner a wave of exploration fever set in. Three not at all OP "Big Burd" relay sats were dispatched to Duna, Eve and Dres.

screenshot53

On arrival they are planned to drop the 4 baby sats for complete coverage.

With that flurry of activity over Val found herself fulfilling a bunch of survey contracts near Munbase. Most of which seemed to involve driving past the ride home.....

screenshot54

And attention finally turned to putting a Duna Autonomous Vehicular Explorer down on Big Red. Luckily the Duna Scansat had provided complete mapping so simulations could be carried out. Based on the Deliverance 2 vehicle for DAVE and a modified Deliverance 1 for the base modules. Initial simulations look promising.

screenshot57screenshot58

Thanks to the base vehicle proving itself on Mun and Minmus only landings have been simulated so far. But a real test flight is planned soon which may turn into a mission. The DAVE is based on the proven Globetrotter and can operate under KSC control with adequate comms coverage. Once down it will be used to scout a suitable base location and then settle down to producing Snacks.

Following the success of the Moondog in maintaining wide fuel margins while making an Iota landing, mission control decides to re-route the next scheduled mission and aim for a higher target!

pu49jTO.jpg

...and that was that. With a reliable workhorse already established, kerbalkind's first mission to Ceti went without so much as a slip and tumble. Indeed, there are already a few nut-jobs saying that the landing was faked and that these are actually just recoloured pictures from Iota.

In an effort to prove the whackos wrong, mission control decides that a long-term habitat around Ceti is warranted. Not only will this deliver a flood of photographic 'proof' but it provides opportunity to try out a new orbital lab that the boffins have been putting together in their spare time. 

JBLhZgd.jpg

F72IZpT.jpg

Today, I'm sending a ship to Eeloo, ... or Jool. Depends on how accurate the burn will be. The difference is literally smaller than the game can tell me (<0,1m/s)

j1chXSp.png

3k6L4F4.png

If anyone so much as farts on the way there, they'll end up on the wrong planet.

19 hours ago, Kek-tus said:
A casual travel at a low speed.

Welcome to the forum Kek-tus!

8 minutes ago, McFarnsworth said:

If anyone so much as farts on the way there, they'll end up on the wrong planet.

Almost in tears over here! 

2 hours ago, dangerhamster said:

Once down it will be used to scout a suitable base location and then settle down to producing Snacks.

At first when I read that, I thought I read 'steaks'. Not a bad idea!

I need my other glasses... one sec.....

Fueling up of the flights for Eeloo & Bop/Pol was completed ahead of schedule. 32 days remaining till the transfer burn (38 for Jool). The last tanker SSTO has landed, the fuel drones have retreated to their parking orbits, antennas have been extended.

They're ready.

Edited by Atkara

We have some Kerbals stuck in orbit, time to go recruit them in the Kerbal Orbital Recruitment Device!

I1MmusH.png

For some reason they always immediately sign up to our glorious space program.

62zw3wv.png

We just tell them "You can join us, or else ... " and they sign up then and there. Not once have had to finish that sentence with "..., or else we can just drop you off with your family"

1B6z907.png

I didn't expect that to work honestly.

lBCJyiw.png

That, was the roughest landing ever. The top fins exploded due to heat, it flipped twice during descent, the balance was way off due to the extra capsules, the kraken tried to eat me, had to land with engines running at 120m/s because I couldn't pull up otherwise, and luckily I put the kerbals in the cockpit because one of the pods exploded on touchdown.

rjcQAxl.png

I had my first total loss in this no-revert/no-quickload career.

It was a lander return probe to the Mun. Everything went swimmingly until like an idiot I retracted the antenna before deploying the 'chutes, and of course lots contact with the comsats I had just launched. On the second try, I unintentionally ended up breaking a few ocean depth records: I had neglected to make sure my probe floats. Eventually my heatshield was crushed by the pressure and the rest of the probe bobbed back to the surface. If I had realised the heatshield was the anchor I would have jettisoned it of course, but eh, a recovery's a recovery. No complaints here.

Nice dental work there @McFarnsworth.

After a break of KSP playing civ 6.... It's time to finish my campaign objective. First finish the training of some kerbonaut.

y4mHM4N0noqAGvyh8hPhvc8kt9KzoEeCKNFbDF7fy4mFOEwIloOYgvrO86yx5HnbutOCSR1Jcz5cUZYO  y4miIiC1cY8Qkh2oK8Uk-xgWALCozZ7xn4YKxTO2

They are now ready for a Duna mission.

For the veterans I built a new ship "La Valentina", it will visit the Eve system and will place two rovers and two observation satellite.

y4mmY6NbuN330sdU5kQmVmPdGCsqmGp3mtYDjOBJy4m1BPW1BKBNXET_TMOPnBx0MTe-fn5x7gR5NuLS

Last night I managed to get my new jet tweaked into being flyable - just needed to nudge the CoM forward a bit and Jeb stopped having to swim back to KSC every flight.  Was very easy since the engine mount had oxidizer in it that I hadn't even realized, so dumping that did most of the CoM move I needed.  I may make a few more tweaks, but pretty happy with it right now.

7oVO7Yv.png?2

I did keep a drag chute just for good measure:

bvB1FHh.png?2

52 minutes ago, Theflyingfox said:

When you use the imgur button, make sure only to put in the random letters, not the whole link.

Anyways, today I did my first flyby of the mun. I also realized that you could put engines on experimental storage units.

Edited by Xylenox

After refueling the reusable Mun lander with KIS, sent another batch of crew to my Mun base. KIS grappling hooks were also installed on the base to keep it stable.

XooKrXq.png

1RCjlXN.png

GRGNUBU.png

kCaYrk3.png

SHXzRlB.png

Edited by Pipcard