What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

Coolbeans, thanks. I'd rather transfer because it'll get the whole series of world firsts out of the way and maybe open up a new planet :) 

In other news, I just noticed this...

2fqBSwi.jpg

Since when was this a thing? I love it, but I want to customise what it says... :D 

My guess is that it's part of the MKS colonization suite. If you can figure it out, though, and it's not bundled with all the other MKS stuff*, I'd probably add that myself.

*KSP would probably cry trying to run both the MKS suite and Realism Overhaul.

Right before 1.4 dropped and I had to rebuild all of the workhorse spacecraft:

1.) Perfected my Epsilon IV Medium fully-recoverable rocket. ~5400m/s of dV, will get anywhere in the Kerbin system without any effort whatsoever. Boosters recovered via StageRecovery; main stage achieves orbit and then deorbits for recovery (FMRS installed but not required for this craft).

Spoiler

TgJcglS.jpg

2.) Realized that this design gives me not one, but two beautiful Korolev Crosses during launch

Spoiler

RYDsUfN.jpg

3.) Managed to land the booster on the runway. Definitely missing the Trajectories mod in 1.4 right now.

Spoiler

syu2ZhN.jpg

4.) Finalized my Minmus Depot fuel station and delivery truck (with some science-base-y stuff thrown in for good measure). The Epsilon IV capsule will make it here easily, and can land/refuel for an extra 2000m/s of dV. Interplanetary material.

Spoiler

SSHVlof.jpg

5.) Installed 1.4 and realized that the Epsilon IV Med design (now called Atalanta I) will hit 6km/s of dV with equivalent parts. And look better in the process.

Not a bad day, overall.

21 hours ago, qzgy said:

ooh thats pretty.

Thank you! It definitely gave me back the envy to restart working on the motherships and the air-launched craft. I may will work on a 6 engines heavy aircraft able to drop 2/3 light launchers from everywhere over Kerbin.

I also started another project, with the payload being decoupled from a cargo bay, but dropped tail-first from the aircraft passing by a ramp. It's strange, but pretty fun. Logically, it's working better in highly elliptical flight profile.

21 hours ago, qzgy said:

And this too. Although It could benefit from some more wings in the front cause it looks a bit funny at the moment.

I... I can't put big canards plan to it... or at least I can't put them outside the fuselage :wink:  It was necessary, with KSP aerodynamics and parts lifting surfaces the mothership had it's CoL way too far from its CoG, so some lifting surfaces are offset in the front.

5 hours ago, eddiew said:

In other news, I just noticed this...

2fqBSwi.jpg

Since when was this a thing? I love it, but I want to customise what it says... :D 

4 hours ago, Starman4308 said:

My guess is that it's part of the

Nope!

This is a GPP feature, since GPP v1.5.88 (The Sigma edition, parallel with the release of the Sigma Replacements mod suite, made by Sigma88). But it should be compatible with MKS too.

With just a little digging you'll find the files to add your own kibbles and bits to that new panel. :wink: Keyword is "Replacements"

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

This is a GPP feature, since GPP v1.5.88 (The Sigma edition, parallel with the release of the Sigma Replacements mod suite, made by Sigma88). But it should be compatible with MKS too.

Aw, man. :( I’m still in 1.2.2. 

7 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Today I am going to TRY to get this 10 KILOTON mass into LKO. Wish me luck boys.

That moment when you have to describe your Kerballing in terms generally reserved for nuclear weapons. :confused:

14 hours ago, eddiew said:

With the Ceticean Institute parked up around Gael the crew began the prep for their first descent, only to notice... there's no lander. 

Every time I see this I have to remind myself you’re not talking about whales.:P

What mod are you using to get that healthy glow? or maybe it’s just the radiation...

15 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That moment when you have to describe your Kerballing in terms generally reserved for nuclear weapons.

I think you're confusing mass for equivalent yield in TNT. But holy crap that would be a lot of TNT.

13 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I think you're confusing mass for equivalent yield in TNT. But holy crap that would be a lot of TNT.

The point remains. :P If you want to argue the explosive potential of 10,000 tonnes of rocket fuel vs a small nuclear weapon, fine. Meanwhile I’ll be over here ————————>

in this spring-damped bunker several yards underground. :sticktongue:

To see a few of the new features of 1.4, I built "Kerpollo 1" on top of a "Katurn 5" rocket, with a (hehe) "Keagle" lander and hopped over to Mun for a quick flag-and-forget.

Love the new ship naming paradigm and am sure I'll eventually be able to find what fuel tanks are what. After 5 years of the same tanks, it's really hard to train my brain to see what's what.

17 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

The point remains. :P If you want to argue the explosive potential of 10,000 tonnes of rocket fuel vs a small nuclear weapon, fine. Meanwhile I’ll be over here ————————>

in this spring-damped bunker several yards underground. :sticktongue:

It turns out that the rocket fuel in this game is actually very comparable to TNT. After using the thrust and burn time of the second stage I figured out that it contained the equivalent energy of a 10 Kiloton nuclear weapon. Considering that the second stage has a mass of 11 kilotons that's almost a 1:1 energy ratio.

Today I build my first SSTO. It hasn't got its official name yet, and won't until I deem it finished, and still needs some tweaking in order to be viable as more than a proof of concept. But I did it. Something about it kinda reminds me of a dragon for some reason.

822BB4FCC0FBF8DD7053A2956CFF37493CA1A731

And yes, it uses RAPIERs.

You may remember a while back I stated my initial impression of RAPIER engines to be that they were sporks (tried to be two things and sucked at both) and I hated them. For this opinion I basically got burned at the stake, or at least that's how it felt. :mad:

So naturally, I'm going to criticize the RAPIERs again, because I apparently haven't learned not to poke sacred cows. But I am also going to say that I don't hate them anymore.

I will open by saying that while I now understand why people use them, and have presumably learned how to effectively use them myself... I still think they're sporky. But you know what? So are paladins in WoW, and that didn't stop me from playing one for seven years (RIP World of Warcraft account). Paladins can tank and heal, but they'll never be as good at either as a warrior or a priest - their strength lies in the fact that priests can't tank and warriors can't heal. It's the same deal with the RAPIER. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I stand by some parts of my original assessment - as a jet, it's inefficient and heavy; as a rocket, it's mediocre and heavy. It's also kinda ugly. And it embarrassed me on the forums.

But despite this, I have learned not to hate it.

Yes, it's inefficient and heavy, but it's also very powerful as a jet. That doesn't necessarily make it the "best" but it's a factor to be considered, especially in the context of SSTOs. But the power wasn't what convinced me not to hate it.

Yes, it's all but necessary for an SSTO unless you're a really advanced builder. But finally achieving an SSTO by using it wasn't what convinced me not to hate it.

Yes, embarrassment over an incident on the forums is a completely irrational reason to hate an engine. But acknowledging that fact wasn't what convinced me not to hate it.

No, what convinced me was that as of today's patch, the RAPIER, unlike the Whiplash or the Panther, doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner being strangled. And that is a powerful motivator to forgive it indeed.

2 minutes ago, Ace in Space said:

Today I build my first SSTO. It hasn't got its official name yet, and won't until I deem it finished, and still needs some tweaking in order to be viable as more than a proof of concept. But I did it. Something about it kinda reminds me of a dragon for some reason.

822BB4FCC0FBF8DD7053A2956CFF37493CA1A731

And yes, it uses RAPIERs.

Ayyyy, nice job! Figuring out how to build SSTO'S is a pretty big step! Nice looking craft btw, looks alot better than the abomination my first SSTO was!

bs36KFo.jpg

Came in here, read through the previous page or two, went to hand out some likes, and zippo... no more likes to give out. That's the first time that ever happened to me. Sorry. Next time around.

Ok. My day. I finished constructing the Eeloo-Colony in orbit. All the modules were docked into place, as planned. The final phase was to bring crew up (15 including pilot), and that's now done. Without using RCS, it takes SAS a minute to a minute and a half to rotate the ship around, which is not bad - better than what I thought it would be. I did a test firing of the engines, increasing the orbit to just out beyond the Mun, 15000km. The test went perfect. Even the frame rate is manageable.

No shimmy, no jiggle, no wobble... rock solid. We're going to Eeloo...
Q6LmQjW.png

4 commsats, 1 lander, 1 sci pod with rover, 1 hab unit. The other 3 ships floating around brought the crew up. They've all since been deorbited. Now we just wait and loll around in orbit for the next Eeloo transfer window, which is 1yr 25days away.

Edited by LordFerret

I'll hold off for some time. It's the most sensible course of action, with the number of vessels still in transit and the number of designs that will need adaptations.

And there's the issue of sending replacements for those that will need to be phased out. Not sure whether I'll send them the traditional way, or just teleport them there. 

Edited by Atkara

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Every time I see this I have to remind myself you’re not talking about whales.:P

What mod are you using to get that healthy glow? or maybe it’s just the radiation...

At last someone got it :)

Bloom via ks3p, without eye adaptation or depth of field.

Hi All :)

"Light" Stock EVE SSTO in KSP 1.3.1, that was hard and "hot", but done again :sticktongue:

Jebediah is on a command chair under the shell. (you can see the top of her helmet in the shell...)

Youtube video: 

Ship Landed with HyperEdit on highest Eve mountain, and manually piloted to orbit this time... Full Stock :)

( Craft File in the Youtube description )

Fly safe with Valentina !!!

Experimented around with VTOLs. I got one to work (after an hour of experimentation) and played around for a bit. The closest I got to actual VTOL capability was taking off vertically, cutting the vertical engines, starting the horizontal engines, and watching as my beautiful creation hit the ground and exploded.

On an orbital mission to Eve, my engineer Kelrik Kerman got bored & needed to stretch his legs while on a quick side trip to Gilly & jumped to the surface to plant a flag.   First flag outside of Kerbin SoI in this career.  Jeb chewed him out after they rendezvoused back in orbit.  Pics didn't turn out very good - and I totally forgot to snap one with the flag.  Now they just have another year on the transfer window.  

I did get their ship partially refueled with a tanker probe I sent a few days after the original launches when I realized the crewed ship had plenty of dV to get to Eve but was gonna be substantially short to get home.   But even that was marginal - the probe barely had enough fuel to transfer by the time it got into orbit.  The fumes left in the tank were only enough to get Pe down to ~150km, had to use the RCS (and ~90% of the RCS fuel) to drop the empty tanker probe low enough to burn up in Eve's atmosphere.

since EE seems to be behaving better now have started again, today saw the first of two mistakes corrected.

I had stuck a science lab around mun, empty, eventually got a reusable lander (first for me) with a pilot attached, test flight for a nice fat science load.. but no scientist, a rescue mission hit the jackpot and the scientist was assigned to mun station for a while before coming home.

Slight snag...

station built its full stock of science, then discovered not enough battery power to transmit it...

So today say a small power boost module docked, bringing RCS fuel and rocket fuel for the lander as a resupply mission - 500 science sent home using the extra batteries.

test flight of a new crew ship with range to handle mun & minmus orbit, docking and return to Kerbins surface (not designed as a reusable one) saw the scientist swapped and rescued.

The other one will be more of a challenge, a mun surface science station, which fell over on landing but survived, has a full science load but suffers the same issue... need to build a rover able to dock to the exposed docking port and bring some more batteries... will be the first rover other than a small 'joke' one I've built, never mind tried to land... job for the future.

As will be my first manned return mission to Duna.. Job for another ground base, part of which will again be a science lab for an extended stay, multi part mission - unmanned base drop is planned, following an orbital scan to try to find somewhere to make fuel.

Still no idea how to get a screen shot off the eggbox though and onto a website