What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I kinda finished long range ship. It has around 8000 deltaV. And it is supposed to Start at Kerbin, go to Jool, aerobreake with one of those attachable shields (Laaythe). Then land on Bop. Then go back to Eve, use aerobreaking and land lander on Gilli. All without refuelling. 

Is it enough delta v?

https://imgur.com/a/6gcId

Edited by papuchalk

2 hours ago, Leopard said:

the eggbox

? Does that mean 'X-Box' ?
Maybe look here... https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/capture-game-clips-and-screenshots

If you can, maybe upload the screenshot to something like Imgur, which is what likely 90% of the folks here use to host their images. Good luck.

Began the age of space tourism with a completely flawless experience for VIP Miana Gaelan. So generous was her offer that mission control was able to budget for an extra-large craft that would carry not only Miana, but six trainees to Ceti.

7Tpxyqm.jpg

The second flag party lasts well into the night. Fortunately we substituted all their beer for alcohol-free, so nobody came to any harm aside from the occasional bouts of tumbling, spinning and bouncing that are commonly associated with this little moon.

Also it turns out kerbals cannot tell alcohol-free beer from regular beer, which begs the question of why we invented regular in the first place given that it's known to cause bouts of tumbling, spinning and bouncing even when not on Iota... This question seems likely to frustrate philosophers and brewers alike for many years to come.

It is only upon the Moondog's return from Iota that a harried-looking intern rushed into mission control with a rather worrying printout. The Moondog II's capsule, he assured us, would have a terminal velocity that is higher than the impact rating of its guest cabin. Which, not being pointy, is of course the bit that hits the ground first. Several simulations were run, including landings at sea level, and in water, and all of them agreed with the intern. Since nobody wanted to see a VIP and three trainees making the newspapers for all the wrong reasons, drastic action had to be taken.

sgRK9MH.jpg

Yes, completely flawless. Our VIP and her accompanying crew of trainees were 100% totally safe at all times. Never has there been a safer, more meticulous spaceline to fly with.

Today while testing out a lander for a future Jool mission, I landed up atop the VAB. First time I've done that. That's not the big deal however; I discovered that I can climb up to / down from the top of the VAB. I didn't know that was possible. lol

This colossus of a rocket is (mostly) finished! Coming in at just over 51 kilotons in mass and containing roughly the same energy as 4 Hiroshima bombs this is the largest rocket I have yet produced. I honestly didn't know if I could do it when I started, but I have successfully built a rocket capable of carrying 10 kilotons into LKO, and it only took 2076 parts!

AJriTxu.jpg

0igz6C7.jpg

1 minute ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

This colossus of a rocket is (mostly) finished! Coming in at just over 51 kilotons in mass and containing roughly the same energy as 4 Hiroshima bombs this is the largest rocket I have yet produced. I honestly didn't know if I could do it when I started, but I have successfully built a rocket capable of carrying 10 kilotons into LKO, and it only took 2076 parts!

How many seconds per frame are you getting with that bad boy?

9 hours ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Experimented around with VTOLs. I got one to work (after an hour of experimentation) and played around for a bit. The closest I got to actual VTOL capability was taking off vertically, cutting the vertical engines, starting the horizontal engines, and watching as my beautiful creation hit the ground and exploded.

Trick is to use your horizontal engines AND vertical engines at the same time if you can. Or angle for enough horizontal speed on the vertical engines first.

17 minutes ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

I have a few questions about the 1.4 update.

1. Does Steam update your save files as well, or can I have 1.3.1 save files in a 1.4 game?

2. Do Mechjeb or Tweakscale work in 1.4?

3. How do I update on Steam, anyhow?

1. Steam doesn’t touch your save files. Your saves may or may not work with 1.4. I start a new save with every major release so I don’t know how 1.4 handles old ones.

2. The latest MechJeb developer release works in 1.4 for basic functions, I haven’t tested it extensively but it functions well enough for basic ascent guidance and maneuver planning. I don’t use Tweakscale so no clue ther.e

3. Steam updates games automagically when developers push out updates.

well, with 1.4 out I did the only sensible thing; quick trip round Mun and then everyone bailed out after reentry for a group skydiving session (sorry kinda dark pic);tRnZfJY.png

new chutes handle really nicely (surprisingly maneuverable), next time I'll try and get a tight formation.

4 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Just use the 1.3 version. I (accidentally) tried that, and it works!

Yes, it certainly appears to, I upgraded. :D

I tweaked the SSTO I was working on a little more. It now has batteries, solar panels, and a docking port - gets to orbit with slightly more fuel left, too. I also fine-tuned the fuel/oxidizer ratio. And I tested its ability to deorbit and land, which works like a charm.

Also, it definitely looks like a dragon now.

B4EC443A7AC4008D4FAC69D2FA05D1C5D891D03A

To give it a suitable name that still fits with the knightly theme of the other planes, I've named it for King Arthur himself: Pendragon I.

I'm not really sure how I'll maintain that theme once I start sending planes on missions to other planets/moons, which use a gemstone theme. I guess it'll depend on how specialized they are.

5 hours ago, Tekaoh said:

Tried out 1.4's personal parachutes. They're pretty good for steering. I made it somewhere I've never thought to go before.

5 hours ago, LameLefty said:

played with parachutes. Badly. :)

Heh. Personal parachutes built in in 1.4, something that’s been sorely needed for a long time. Maybe I should at last give up my troglodyte ways and finally look beyond 1.2.2...

052f57fb7c0f10483b739295288f3713.gif

So I gave 1.4 a whirl. It's nice! With the new textures and decouplers my low-tech craft look almost presentable. Nice QoL improvements too, and prettier particle effects. Can't say anything about performance as I uninstalled all my visual enhancement mods which obviously made it run faster. Both KER and AA work great, and those are my "core" mods so I can happily continue my career as the other stuff catches up.

Didn't do all that much though, just sent a triplet of lander probes to Minmus. Two of them came back. I'm building probes that don't use heat shields but re-enter directly from a Minmus or Munar transfer orbit, which is easier than I thought and also fun. I want to send more of those to the Mun next but need to first do some paid contracts; I just upgraded my tracking station and am broke again. I have a nice new design, only problem with it is that it can't be stacked and only two fit in the 1.25 m fairing, making for fussy and bulky rockets; I'm trying to address that.

12 hours ago, LordFerret said:

? Does that mean 'X-Box' ?
Maybe look here... https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/capture-game-clips-and-screenshots

If you can, maybe upload the screenshot to something like Imgur, which is what likely 90% of the folks here use to host their images. Good luck.

Cheers, as expected "requires Xbox Gold", so to coin a phrase, sod that, was hoping for a way to get them onto a pen drive or something.

meh.

20 hours ago, astrobond said:

Ship Landed with HyperEdit on highest Eve mountain, and manually piloted to orbit this time... Full Stock

Brilliant work!!  Outstanding.

I could see you bringing that down and landing on or near the mountain top under chutes, being refueled and then going back to orbit -- and thus, having Eve shuttle service capability.

In addition, if you landed out (i.e. lower altitude), you could pick a site that is also serviced by an ISRU refuel crew and then attempt to fly one hop back to the mountain base.  Failing that, finding a workable, high plateau would make it all easy(er).

Outstanding work!  Well done.

[Thanks also for the coordinates.  Had been looking for a good, high place just recently...]

Edited by Hotel26

12 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

AJriTxu.jpg

So basically it eats regular rockets as fuel. :)

My relief crew arrived at Jool.

zg9T2HR.png

They brought their own return/re-entry module, a rover for Vall, a habitation module to complete Foothold Station and a couple of adaptors for Laythe Station.

With the new crew here, it's time to send the old crew home, but I don't want to send them home empty-handed. I've got an "Explore" contract going that requires that I land something on Laythe's surface and return it to Kerbin, so it's time to land my cargo SSTO for the first time.

AYchfoe.jpg

With the lifter module on LaythePort finally out of the way the upper docking klaws were at last clear and functional, so I was able to hook the SSTO up for refuelling.

hTZBbE5.jpg

With the tanks full, it was time to take to the sky again, which proved more difficult than I'd expected. I eventually had to launch on closed-cycle mode in order to get off the ground before the bumpy terrain tore the plane apart, and then switch back to air-breathing mode after reaching a safe altitude. After that the launch was pretty easy, though, and I made it to orbit with fuel to spare.

So with that done I loaded the crew into their return module, attached the two small fuel tanks that I'd landed on Tylo and Laythe to the side of the tug and burned for Kerbin.

0hVvBSY.png

In other news, Explorer 1 has completed her journey and arrived at Gilly station.

NEXiKXW.png

I also had an extra tug arrive at Duna and used it to carry a telescope and relay satellite into an orbit between it and Kerbin.

gqP95LD.png

I'm still shuffling the new crew around at Jool, ferrying them from moon to moon to get all the necessary postings filled, but they should be operating at full capacity soon.

Speaking of relay satellites, I had built this little satpod called Beep and could launch two at a time.  I believe it's got an RA-2 on it.  So: good for putting around a planet.

wZWpR8Z.png

So, I started thinking about Deep Space Network Relays...  Conceived this today and spent the evening happily testing it around Kerbin and Minmus.

[I believe you can enlarge the first image and then just single-click through the whole set, if you care to do so.

tfR23Oj.png Nt8muPt.png 9TcMHFr.png kprA59g.png
u8oMQiC.png 997IQvN.png oZt7UZg.png DybZdts.png

Deep Space Relay Network rides up on a Minotaur fuel tanker.  Curiously, Minotaur has a central core with 14 Gigantor electric sails.  Way more than it needs!

That component gets pulled out by DSRN (the recent rebuild of Minotaur provides more clearance now to do so without having to shimmy and wiggle...), which then redocks on the other end.

With a Vector and 24 Dawn engines, KER reports a total dV of 11 km/sec.  The main use of the Vector is just for a nice, clean, fast exit from Kerbin SOI.

The 14 sails in Kerbin-strength sunshine provide sufficient current to power all Dawn engines at maximum r.p.m.

The 6 RA-100 comsats have PB-NUK with half lives of about 150 quadrillion years, so they should be switching phone calls/broadcasting TV long after we're all gone, just to give every other civilization that follows ours the chance to watch the Simpsons.  Our small contribution to the universe.  "From Kerbin, with love".

Edited by Hotel26