What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Played KSP for the first time in a very long while today. Decided to try out the new asteroid telescope thing, so I stuck one on top of an Apollo-esque spacecraft and sent Bill, Bob and Jeb on a trip they'd never return from, because I never bothered to give them a parachute.

uXN1DDX.jpg

Got a lucky encounter with Eve.

wk8Hqe9.jpg

I said: "What the heck, why not land the capsule there? The atmosphere will slow it down enough to land without a parachute, right?"

nNNLYdz.jpg

And so it begins. I am Felsmak, and this is Jackass.

qozLcaS.jpg

They burned up. Bummer.

sBuaf2G.jpg

Edited by Felsmak

On 3/7/2018 at 9:58 PM, Kronus_Aerospace said:

believe it or not I'm actually getting 3-4 fps. And that's with a 2.5 GHz processor.

Side effects of launching may or may not include nuclear winter 

zdFb2LR.jpg

And then you crashed it into the ground, destroying the Kerbal population.

I built a station.

With Angel-125's DSEV... In order to get familiar with DSEV so I can contribute to it and even more to Wild Blue's Classic Stock Play Mode. This is exactly 100 parts...Or between 100 and 110, and 1 kiloton heavy. No life support or construction mods here but there's a crap load of Equipment on-board for demonstration/placeholder. It has 56 km/s on it and hopefully sufficient ability to refuel its FusionPellets supply.

3.75m cargo bays up front, 3x docking points for a pair of Valkyries and a service lander or payload at the tail. The FusionPellets based propulsion system grants 56km/s, and the station should be able to refuel itself at a decent pace at an atmosphere's edge.

dG0n1nD.jpg

I also built a Valkyrie. The Spice flows within this Valkyrie. 

The Valkyrie VTOLs and it fits the station, well, once I offset the balloons and scoops backward a bit and relaunch the station... I should just as well put the docking points on pylons like in the reference pic below...

WhkQiKG.jpg

Yk9LU6F.jpg avatar_3d_53ox0i.png

Continuing to make silly spaceplanes that somehow end up working really well.

gBehFsH.jpg

Wyvern Explorer is on the edge of what a 3-engine SSTO can do. 2.8km/s in LGO is enough to visit Iota, but Ceti would be stretching it (although it could of course be refuelled by the orange tank left in orbit yesterday). It has no capacity to land gracefully on Iota because I really didn't expect it to get that far, and thus it has to kind of awkwardly bump down on its tail and flop forward. Fortunately an Iotian flop is pretty tame and no damage is taken.

Pitch control is surprisingly good on re-entry, easily holding a high AoA. Yaw and roll are a little squirrelly, with the weight of the lateral engines tending to exaggerate movements and give it a lot of rotational momentum. Nonetheless, Wyvern X comes down to a graceful landing in the woods where Jeb and Bill are pretty darn sure GSC was when they last looked. Perhaps it will all turn out to be some kind of weird dream.

In other news, I'm almost disappointed by the lack of game crashes... only got a few more 'essential' mods to fit in here before it's down to just the ones I can live without as the culprit... 

Or all-round memory use. Skipping EVE has saved a lot, typically running with 6.5gb... That said, my system has 32gb specifically so I could mod the nuts off KSP, so I'm really hoping it's not just plain unstable at larger footprints!

25 minutes ago, Delay said:

Launched a lander to Moho. In LKO I realized I had too little dV to get there due to not considering inclination and eccentricity (current ). I'm only off by about 200m/s!

The vehicle cost 85,000 funds...

Can you perhaps send it to the Mun/Ike/Dres instead?

And my apologies to those sadly like-deprived: I spent all my likes in maximum-drama threads recently.

Just now, Starman4308 said:

Can you perhaps send it to the Mun/Ike/Dres instead?

Maybe I can do that. Dres would be a planet I haven't reached yet.

The second stage has about 1800m/s of dV. and the lander itself has an additional >2500m/s in its tanks if I remember correctly.

52 minutes ago, Delay said:

Launched a lander to Moho. In LKO I realized I had too little dV to get there due to not considering inclination and eccentricity (current ). I'm only off by about 200m/s!

The vehicle cost 85,000 funds...

You might see if there's an Eve gravity assist available -- if so, that could save a lot more than 200 m/s.  Might require waiting in a parking orbit for a transfer window, but worth it...

20 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

You might see if there's an Eve gravity assist available --

That will be tricky. So basically, I need to calculate a launch window from Kerbin to Eve and then a "window" from Eve to Dres, right? I have no idea how to do calculate such a "double launch window"...

Edited by Delay

well, built a crew capsule and sent three whiteouts up to the interplanetary bus "F2", mucked about with the fuel to maximise what the transfer vehicle had, then boosted for Duna!.

Got there safely, not enough fuel to risk the return flight, so they are stuck there until the next stage is assembled and sent (Ike refuelling refinery and small transfer shuttle) to let them come home.

Tried the lander...

For whatever reason the parachutes failed to open, armed, but just never opened, presumably a setting wrong somewhere. realised too late to engine brake so the lander is in bits with the scientist also in bits sadly. Will revise and try again on another flight.

Sent a probe to the thinly-veiled and scorching hot planet Niven.

lLPhxSS.jpg

...a mighty 89 science points. Bah. Should have taken it to the Ceticean Institute for proper study. You just can't get the staff on the ground these days :( 

Edited by eddiew

4 hours ago, eddiew said:

The Tellumo probe may have encountered technical difficulties...

<PSA voice>

Negative Space Wedgie. It can happen to you!

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The Spice flows within this Valkyrie

So, who would win in a fight, plucky blue-skinned hippie aliens or blue-eyed worm-rider Guys?

1 hour ago, Delay said:

That will be tricky. So basically, I need to calculate a launch window from Kerbin to Eve and then a "window" from Eve to Dres, right? I have no idea how to do calculate such a "double launch window"...

Check out Flyby Finder, it’s an external program specifically for these calculations. :D As long as you’re running a stock system it can probably find a solution. 

ETA: Ok, read the relevant posts. A Duna->Dres transfer would be simpler, or you could launch a “booster” stage with a big engine, tanks, and Klaw, klaw onto the back and use that for an extra boost, 200m/s should be easy that way, but...

...would you have enough Delta-V left to stop at Moho (or even Dres)? It’s a small world and you tend to come in pretty hot.

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

349 parts
207 tons

Headed to Jool. The lander is designed to handle Bop & Pol, two places I've not been to yet. Window is in 4 days... they're going to beat the Eeloo-Colony.

Oh yea, Ion powered...
3AxnfM4.png

...reminds me of a burner on a gas stove.

Finally sat down and sent those flights to Eeloo and Jool (I always take a break after doing many fueling ops).

With both transfers days away from each other, Eeloo flights were bound to do a Jool flyby as well. Technically speaking, I botched the flight lead's transfer burn (I basically got confused and somewhat panicked), but it's on nukes so there's enough DV to rectify it along the way. The rest will simply punch through Jool's SOI and with next to nothing of a correction burn, they'll reach Eeloo. I imagine Jeb is furious for doing just a Jool flyby (instead of planting a flag there, because Jeb) but the flight plan is set and doesn't change. He'll get to experience Eeloo's magnificent desolation :P

The flights to Jool departed as planned, without problems. Minuscule mid-course corrections ensure they'll intercept Tylo and/or Laythe in such a way, that they'll enter orbit around Jool, without expending any more fuel. Then, they'll be free to reach their first destination in the system: Pol.

There are also 3 flights for Dres, but the transfer window is still far away. In the meantime, there are correction burns to be made, flights to reach their destinations, others to come back to Kerbin, contracts to be fulfilled and ofcourse: the sweet, the beautiful, the glorious science, coming in from the deployed outposts :D

Go ahead, make me leave all this behind :P