What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I did an Apollo-Soyuz Test Project mission with the Making History parts.

My Apollo Saturn IB (woefully underpowered because it has lots of tanks to look right):

GOhGHLs.jpg

And a Soyuz rocket/spacecraft:

0DJi6Uf.jpg

...so that I could do an ASTP mission. Hooray for international cooperation!

CZOhhZF.jpg

T3YKUAG.jpg

My Soyuz capsule includes a droppable heat shield and landing rockets:

qE9JGAu.jpg

I have a mission report in the Mission Reports area

Got around to testing the improved whiplash jet noises in 1.4.1, and they're... okay I guess? I'll happily take them after the sound effect train wreck that was 1.4.0. Bought Making History and fiddled around with it a bit. Looked at the new parts, which... I've yet to find use for any of them. I was initially excited about the engine plates and service modules, but... eh. I'm sure I'll need them eventually. The structural panels seem particularly promising for building weird non-spacecraft projects later on. I also played a bit with the mission creator, and it looks like I could do some pretty intricate stuff. If I could only come up with plots appropriate to the medium. :/  My only other comment on it so far is that I found the dialogue node to be kinda weird - Gene, Wernher, and the admin team are in there, but... no kerbonauts? I mean, all stock kerbals look alike except for gender and one of now-four suits. It wouldn't have been hard to make a generic male and female kerbonaut and let the mission designer enter a name for them. Maybe even select the suit. I dunno, I just thought it was a bit limiting (though it can be worked around by other "characters" just... not having a portrait and using the text node instead). </twocents>

Anyway, while Jeb was at Jade Station in a craft that has a science box, I figured I'd send the science lander down to the surface and hop a few biomes. Right as I'm about to land, though, my monitor decides to absolutely freak out. Naturally it couldn't do this while I was in orbit or safely on the ground. The screen kept randomly going black, then the game would pop up again, sometimes at a fuzzy low resolution, and the blackouts kept getting more and more rapid. Thankfully I managed to land before they actually took over, by which I mean my screen turned totally black and started basically turning on and off and occasionally briefly popping up a message that the input rate was not compatible with the monitor or some nonsense. After a few minutes of spazzing like this, it went back to KSP, so I saved, quit the game, and decided to unplug and plug back in my monitor for good measure. Then I restarted the game. Thankfully this seems to have fixed it.

Then, I ran out of fuel getting back into orbit. No matter. I completed the rest of the rendezvous and docking with just RCS and a kerbal getting out to push. Then I transferred the science and Lizlie, the rescued kerbal from last night, onto Jeb's craft. But I also decided that, since I've unlocked the whole tech tree, I don't really need to have two scientists manning the science lab on the station all the time (Jade Station had always had three scientists aboard). So after fourteen years living aboard the station, Lissy and Biluki finally came home.

Everyone seemed pretty chill about re-entry. :) 

E9A5F8C294B8F24EAAAD7AE3B7DD1D049427623F

"Oh, look, Biluki! There's fire outside the window!" "Indeed there is, Lissy! How lovely."

10 hours ago, Kaskel2000 said:

It doesn’t have any docking ports so no idea how I’m going to rescue them!

Rendezvous with their craft and just "park" a few meters away by zeroing your relative velocity. EVA the stranded kerbals and use their jetpacks to move them to the rescue craft, so they can climb in.

Edited by Ace in Space

Tested the stock "Gemini" and "Apollo" service modules...  Neither is at all useful, so they'll be blanked out when I install Janitor's Closet.

Built my own "Kerbpollo", mostly to test the Mastodon and Skiff engines and flew it around the Mun.

Sorry, I keep forgetting pictures.

RIP Val, she only served a short time but was respected by her peers as a fearless pilot.  She was bravely testing the effect of TWR on required gravity turn angle when mission control made an error and went to the space centre rather than reverting to launch.  As Jeb is currently stuck in orbit in a craft that's unable to survive re-entry this leaves the programme with the engineering and  scientific capabilities of Bill and Bob, but no pilots.  However as all flight operations are undertaken automatically via kOS all the crew need to do is push the occasional button so this isn't a major problem.

Fortunately this is in the parallel universe known as "Sandbox Test Game", and Val in the real universe is luckily unaware of her doppelganger's fate.

Made my first SSTO. worked beautifully, then made a smaller one designed to land on minmus and get back, crashed it, saved Jeb with an Apollo style probe lander, Then finaly landed it on minmus and got home with Val in it with minimal cheating. Then got KSP intersellar again.  

I guess this doesn't sound like Hotel26 to be doing something "scientific" but the boffins over in Research & Development insisted.

Trying out 3 different kinds of space stations (gas stations, really) and at 125km altitude.  I'm spacing 5 Gizmos (some of the Kerbals are now calling it "Quasigizmo") at 72 degrees.

Jeb decided to go to the Mun himself, for some reason.  As usual, without Bob's help, he under-built the rocket, and ended up with only 220 m/s left in the lander on touchdown.

(Lander had about 800 m/s, and for some reason my brain went to "Well, that's more than enough to achieve orbit and rendezvous with the orbiter...  )

24fscreenshot215.pngscreenshot216.png

So Val had to go get him.  I don't know why, but there's always something a little bit awesome when I put down a rescue ship so close that nobody has to go for a hike.  I'm glad I didn't bother packing a rover.

screenshot214.png

On 3/15/2018 at 1:57 PM, Delay said:

I forgot the parachute.

I have definitely been there.  Probably more than once.  It's one of the reasons I stopped grabbing the Mk1-2 command pod from the Pods tab, and started grabbing my SKREP from the subassemblies tab.

screenshot217.png

Heat shield, docking port, 260 m/s of maneuvering capability, enough LS for three for 11 days, 3 drogue chutes, 3 normal chutes, two small solar panels, and even 3 KIS/KAS strut mounts.  Best part?  I never have to build the stupid thing again.

At the day of release I tested the replica R-7 with minimalist Vostok.

Today I did it vice versa. Well, earlier this morning I mostly failed trying to get fairings and new engine mount plates to work as custom shroud, and only now I got it right.

Rocket:

Spoiler

s1.PNG

(this thing is still an overkill; I really need the KER! And perhaps Korolev cross should be ditched untill I go to larger payloads... Third stage is also intact, mainly because for me it is the part of what makes Vostoks Vostok)

Craft itself:

Spoiler

s2.PNG

(too bad radiators do nothing useful)

The next step will be making a counterpart to Soyuz, may be not in exterior, but ideed in functionality. Too bad that there is no habitation part akin to Hitchhiker or that twho-man plane cabin in size 1.5, but overall I really like the parts side of expansion: they are done exactly how I wanted this parts to be done in mod or othervise.

Edited by nothingSpecial

With the transfer window to Niven still a year away, pilots Poody and Galileo have been keeping themselves busy by running tourists up to low Gael orbit.

7AQlOMI.jpg

On the whole, the lighter Skylance is the quicker and easier to handle of the two spaceplanes, however Cloudspike II delivers enough range in orbit to orbit either of the gaelean moons. Sadly nobody seems to want to orbit either of the gaelean moons; it's all about the landings and the feel of that moonish gravity.

Fortunately, we can do that too, as Lyssa Gaelan is happy to demonstrate.

VqRElRu.jpg

(Actually the Tourboat had already been to Ceti orbit, hence the lack of fuel, but apparently the cameras had a temporary glitch and didn't record anything until the arrival at Iota.)

And after several years of operation, mission control finally sends someone to bring the crew of the Ceticean Institute back home. Sure, there are things we don't yet know about Ceti (two biomes we haven't even touched, if we're honest) but we have some new plans on the table and we're pretty sure everyone is bored of hearing about pink moonrocks by now.

Aoi1kkK.jpg

Side note; I surprised myself with just how useful a pre-rapier spaceplane can be :)  Getting beyond low orbit was unexpected; managing a crew carrier with enough range to visit stations around either of the moons was very satisfying.

Edited by eddiew

I reverse-engineered[1] a F.A.R.T.[2], which you see here, assisting a lame NerfJet into orbit.  The F.A.R.T. itself has insane thrust.  The aerodynamics when it is conjoined with the payload -- well, let's just start with the fact that the long combination of both is not able to rotate from the runway at KSC.  Now we know why those klever little Kerbals built R9 with a parapet looking out over the ocean 69 meters below...

The CoL is ahead of the CoM, but that's OK if a) you know about it and what NOT to do because of it and b) since this isn't a Red Bull Aerobatics Competition.

Flown carefully, the F.A.R.T.can quit thrusting just in time to preserve the last 100 kallons or so of oxidizer.  The NerfJet, by that time, (which carried some of the surplus oxidizer required by the F.A.R.T. [this is getting old/stale] Rapiers), is able to take over and drag the tandem team into a circular orbit.  That small amount of oxidizer allows the F.A.R.T. to make a short retrograde burn to de-orbit.  It has lots of LF left for maneuvering.  Does not want to come down.  32km seems to be a good Pe to set over KSC.  (Anybody else have an "anti-KSC" marker [flag] placed on the other side of the planet?!)

I may be able to improve how I operate the F.A.R.T. but I'm a little worried how I will manage with a machine such as the Duna VTOL Foxbat, which has no Nervs and also requires OX to operate.  I surmise it will be able to carry plenty of OX anyway therefore to balance the equation.

What a lot of fun!?!  (I did it this evening on a laptop while waiting for my son, attending a concert.  Oh, Joy.  Indeed: Freude schöner Götterfunken...)

qQegSbF.png

1. credit: Brikoleur
2. a F.A.R.T. is a Forward-Assisting Rear-mounted Thruster

Edited by Hotel26