What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 hours ago, RoboRay said:

unladen swallow

Quick question about the tank.  Is that a new 1.4 part is it from a mod?  If mod, which?  (Thanks.)

[I long ago saw something like that on a mod called "TAC", maybe.  Then it disappeared...]

Edited by Hotel26

4 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Quick question about the tank.  Is that a new 1.4 part is it from a mod?  If mod, which?  (Thanks.)

It's just stock tanks inside the new Soyuz-style fairing texture.

Zero mods on that craft.

Edited by RoboRay

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

Something's not quite right here...

A2lQt7O.jpg

How is it that you have the old ram air intakes? Is this an older version? did you get them from a mod? Are they still in the game's code and you just did shenanigans to get them? Did you or did you not give Val brain damage?

3 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

How is it that you have the old ram air intakes? Is this an older version? did you get them from a mod? Are they still in the game's code and you just did shenanigans to get them? Did you or did you not give Val brain damage?

I resurrected them as a personal mod, but I believe there is a proper pack out there that restores all the older models :) 

Just a little tip for ya while I'm working on my 1:2 scale Antonov AN-225 replica (Which refuses to be finished). If your making an extremely complex aircraft (in this case over 1000 parts), build it in chunks such that you can easily make adjustments! It also makes strutting much easier.

FDlSDzU.jpg

mRiOfSi.jpg

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

With tourist trips to the moons happening regularly and now being relegated to page 7 of the newspapers, mission control decides that what is needed to get the headlines (and funding) back on topic is something more... ambitious.

WqBXuNZ.jpg

Enter Nirvana Lab, the biggest and most lumpen object we have launched to orbit, quickly followed by an even more comical payload in the shape of the Eagle Scout. 

But wait, the reporters ponder... Eagle Scout is clearly a spaceplane. Why then did it not merely take itself to orbit? Aha, mission control control nods sagely. That is because it is a plane, but not for space. Eagle Scout bears the latest electric engines, allowing it to generate thrust without fuel, in an atmosphere without oxygen. And as we all know the moons have no atmosphere.

*dramatic pause*

That's right folks, Nirvana Lab and Eagle Scout will together be going further than any kerbal has gone before!

*cue trailer music*

KdqqiUi.jpg

After a couple of hundred days cruising through interplanetary space, both parts of the mission arrived at Niven with remarkably tight timing for saying we launched them two weeks apart to avoid tight timing on the arrivals... Nirvana's instruments are unleashed while sweeping through the atmosphere, loading up the lab with data that the scientists pounce on even before the flames of aerobraking have faded.

A series of aerobrakes, plane adjustments, and circularisations follow and the two vessels finally meet high above the scorching plains of the desert planet. From their vantage point, the crew can see seared deep plains and vast seas of sand dunes, constantly rearranged by the hot winds.

The crew wonder whether they will be able to fry eggs on the Eagle's wings, and start a sweepstake on whether the dark patches are molten chocolate.

Edited by eddiew

Today, I edited my video entry for the K-prize, based on yesterdays launches: Five vessels made LKO and one retuned: Mobile drill for Eve mission, Habitat for Eve mission, Gilly refuel vessel with ISRU, Command craft for my interplanetary craft, and additional crew for my interplanetary craft. I already have a relay sat constellation, mobile lab, decent/ascent vehicle and aforementioned interplanetary craft ready to leave orbit, with ten days to the transfer window. Now I just need a single refuel mission to go, and we're ready to conquer Eve. A few shots to show of the beauty of mods below.

pXAXEiX.png

Ny613we.png

QWe8LkY.png

Explored Mission Builder, encounter crazy bugs like KSC running away which forbids camera focus switch to another craft. Hovewer managed to complete first part of my mission idea (recover mk1-3 capsule with plane and get it back to KSC). Although i miss some features like detecting cargo bay opening for triggers. Maybe i'll create modded version with ground vehicles and interactions like refueling. 

R0kddsN.png

So some tourists decided that they would like a few flybys of the mun and Minmus and all that jazz. I decided to take two of them (that wanted a stable Minmus orbit and landing) and decided that I would save every last drop of fuel.

Hey, at least I didn't forget to take pictures this time!

Spoiler

Landing gear is way too overrated.

SboqdLD.jpg

Jeb for scale. Oh, dont forget the flag too.

zjucTrN.jpg

Jeb close-up.

z9nvx92.jpg

And then I left minmus but didnt take any pictures.

Jeb doesnt seems concerned about the fact that he can crash into the mountains at any point.

deOcTQc.jpggMUQsLs.jpg

Away you go!

7jJjW0b.jpg

Good job jeb. 

LPQW1XO.jpg

Edited by Kek-tus

2 hours ago, Kosmonaut said:

IT'S THE PROTOMOLECULE GET OUT OF THERE

Too late.

NKD4wI1.jpg

I dragged it to 80x80 polar orbit and mined all the ore from it, and that ore is now probably everywhere. Now the only non-contaminated colony and the last hope of Kerbalkind is a small settlement on Duna. 

Edited by Haruspex

Found that my Atalanta II design (2.5m recoverable core with 8x 1.25m boosters, all parachute-equipped for StageRecovery) scales rather well when I use the new 1.875m boosters with the existing 3.75m parts.

So now, I have Artemis I. Similar design, just BIGGER! J1YqXqM.png

Boosters jettison in quads (with crossfeed). Not sure how I feel about the new Soyuz tanks...the built-in separators aren't as pretty as the ones I made manually.

Spoiler

BJAV5Ex.png

End result: Mammoth-equivalent stage in 100x100km orbit with about 2km/s dV remaining. Enough to easily recover at KSP (waiting on an updated Trajectories mod to figure that one out...)

Spoiler

WPYqagX.png

Second stage is 2x J-2 equivalents on a massive tank. KER is estimating ~3km/s dV, but that's the old KER version. I'll have to wait and see.

Spoiler

j66QyMp.png

And then the final lander. Dead simple and designed for propulsive landing anywhere, with about 2km/s dV of its own. 

Spoiler

iEGVqLH.png

Will have to see how it goes when I try to simulate an Eeloo trip!

Edited by AngryKitty

With the Niven Expeditionary Force assembled in orbit, the crew perform a final systems check before immediately disassembling everything again. (Rendezvous, dock, crew transfer; the three most annoying world firsts are now all accomplished, so the society can bugger off nagging.)

First, the relay satellite, previously used to deliver the Eagle Scout, is banished to a high orbit where it will guarantee a communications uplink for a solid three hours every day. Second, the Eagle Scout itself, now kermanned by Lyssa, Thystle and Leo Gaelan, detaches and uses its disposable descent stage to drop out of orbit and into the heated atmosphere of the planet below.

b8ck4cW.jpg

Theoretically capable of indefinite flight as long as it remains in the sunlight, the Eagle Scout takes its time in finding the best available landing zone.

9lBgpCh.jpg

Unfortunately it turns out that hilly deserts are hilly. Finally selecting a modest slope with a reasonable run-up as the best of the available candidates, Eagle Scout transmits the coordinates back to Nirvana Lab, indicating a location some 21 degrees south of the equator.

GFSq4fZ.jpg

Who don't exactly land as planned, but it could be much worse. The lab's resting spot is fractionally slopier than the target, but it's a relatively even slope with multiple (two) viable vectors for the Eagle Scout to land or take off along.

Also it's about this point that we notice the Eagle lacks an atmospheric analyser, and that nobody packed any engineering tools so we can't borrow the one from the lab. 

On a side note, using basic electric engines from Thor Tech to design a plane that can fly around at 250m/s on solar power in Niven's thin, non-oxygen atmosphere turns out to be fairly easy. Designing a plane that can land on Niven was another matter entirely. Eagle Scout is absolutely crammed with lifting surfaces. On Gael, it has an unstick speed of only 30m/s, which translates to about 70m/s here. Which doesn't sound so bad, until you realise that everywhere is angled either up, down, or sideways, and your TWR is a rather feeble 0.5. Meanwhile the low gravity means that landing gear is far, far too springy, and default settings will not only bounce, but outright flip the plane. Lowest spring rating, minimal braking on the front wheel, and a lot of SAS wheels seemed to be the way to go. Even with solar-powered propulsion, Niven is by no means a spaceplaners playground. Still, I was getting too attached to doing rover expeditions, so this will be a nice change :P 

Edited by eddiew

Changed the PRAM battery in my Mac Mini......might as well spend the $$$ on a Energizer Lithium, since this computer is a bit of a PITA to take apart (ie GUT IT).