What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 3/19/2018 at 10:26 AM, Hotel26 said:

And so I determined to buckle down and return to nuts & bolts space exploration: Take 1: Accelerated Mission to Land on Vall.

Thus, I entered a vale of tears...

Is that a vale of tears, or a Vall of tears? :sticktongue:  Or a Val of tears?;.;

In my own vale of tears (years away from Vall, Val still happily circling Mun prior to the first landing there), on Friday, in my continuing attempts to disinfect the stupid Windows gaming computer from all the crapware loaded on it, I removed the #*$& AiCharger-maybesomesuffix.sys from \Windows\System32\Drivers because the #$&*! thing would not uninstall, and I have no need to boost USB charging amperages on the computer. 

Do not do this.

Because, next boot - at 01:00 AM Saturday morning - the mouse no longer worked. Neither did the USB keyboard. This caused a kernel panic in DH, who woke me up less than an hour after I went to bed. I was, um, 'not pleased'. "F___ you," says I to the computer, because system administration makes me profane, Microsoft makes me profane, and being woken up after less than an hour makes both much worse, "I'll plug in the PS/2 Model M and undelete the bloody file. That'll fix your little happy Microsoft a__" 

Microsoft has made significant advances in pure a______ry since the last time I dealt with a non-trivial problem (unlike the PSU and/or motherboard and/or CPU going out last May; pssh, easy-peasy!) because, of course the PS/2 keyboard was also disabled - I could watch the lights go out, during boot; first the mouse and USB keyboard, then about ten seconds later the PS/2, and I think I heard it giggle - and of course the file wasn't in the RecycleBin or any place I could find it, and of course DH had disabled restore points, and of course DH cannot be bothered to make backups because he's got too much other crap files to have space available, and of course I couldn't find the driver via Google-Fu, and of course I couldn't find the motherboard 'install'/recrapware disk, or the Windows 7 install disk either.

My wrath is like unto that of someone who spent all their :funds: on a crewed mission to Jool and discovers upon landing that there's a slight flaw in the landing gear which causes the vehicle to roll on top of the crew hatches.

Four days later, I have a working but stripped down and uncrufty Windows7 system for DH, backed up (in my drive space, for which DH will pay) and also virtualized for later vivisection and torture and possible voodoo doll magic against Microsoft itself experimentation; and I'm now trying to unformat the other disk which I think I managed to whack when I was trying to get an Win7 installation ISO onto a USB flash drive (which didn't end up helping, because Microsoft decided that legacy-booting installation sets cannot possibly repair UEFI-booting installations; I loathe Microsoft). Unformatting is possible but not easy, especially when you can't spend money. God help any Microsoft supervisor-level-or-above employee I ever catch in a place without witnesses - I will make them last a very long time which they will not like.

The good news:

1.  we found the Windows 7 installation disk, and the key
  2. it's aaaallllllll backed up now (except that stupid other disk, but that's mostly his crap anyway; and maybe he's thinking about backing up what he has, instead of downloading more as fast as he can)
  3. including the really important stuff, like my KSP installation and savefiles and screenshots!
  4. full-up Linux on external bootable media utterly rocks (which I knew two decades ago, but I'm soooooo appreciative every time I have to do something like this)
  5. it looks a whole lot more plausible to play KSP on an external Debian bootable HD, which I'm gonna try when I get this done
  6. I have a much better idea of how to do this in future, and a whole bunch of fresh sysadminly tools (because I always get lax about tools after I don't need them for six months)
  7. DH was talking about me reinstalling Windows anyway; now he's letting me do it without panting down the back of my neck (a couple of feet away from literally, and that's really annoying) about when I'm going to be finished - because he is afraid I will bite him; or worse, explain to him exactly what's going on and why I'm angry right this instant (at length and full volume)
  8. full-up screaming rage is a wonderful cardio workout
  9. DH now not only owes me favors, but knows he owes me favors
  10. I got rid of AiCharger!

And hopefully, I'll get back to playing KSP within a day or so!

3 hours ago, InterplanetJanet said:

Full-up Linux on external bootable media utterly rocks (which I knew two decades ago, but I'm soooooo appreciative every time I have to do something like this)

I haven't had a computer of my own running Windows as a primary OS in seven years (I'm up to two that will boot Windows again -- but my newer laptop has been in Windows for less than an hour since I bought it).

Yes, I'm late to the Linux party; I had to wait until it had a reasonably good-looking GUI before I was willing to play.  I still wish I could get a distro that uses GEM or the derivative that was used in GEOS-PC/Geoworks Ensemble, but my current choice of flavor is Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3.  I'll watch for Ubuntu Mate 18.04, to be sure they haven't ruined it before I upgrade.

And Linux on external bootable media is even better for fixing a Linux system, because I don't have to worry about UEFI vs. Legacy (UEFI is completely disabled on my system), and I have all the tools I'll need preinstalled on the external media.

Discovered that GPP's Niven is less yellow that it appears...

FbBIUKA.jpg

(Also worked out why all my screenshots are dark at the edges and turned it off. The bloom I like so that can stay.)

The bickering soon abates once the Eagle Scout is underway (and once there is only one of each class of kerbal on each vessel). With a cruising speed of 250m/s at 8000m altitude, the solar-powered plane proves to be significantly faster than any rover, especially considering that it is largely immune to the rough and varied terrain below.

6a2l8Pv.jpg

Indeed, it is a shame that we forgot to bring a bio-core-drill (DMagic orbital science) on this vessel, since the boffins back home would have been very, very interested to know what makes the hillside here such a charming shade of green. But we did (forget) and we didn't, so it appears we will never know for sure.

On the up side, the Nivanean Trench is a delicious chocolately brown! We commend Leo Gaelan for doing his best to get a taste sample immediately upon landing, but would like to remind all potential kerbonauts that taking one's helmet off on an alien work may have unpredictable side effects. As delicious as it may look, we strongly recommend getting back into your vessel before sampling your sample.

zIL7UwJ.jpg

And the 'friendly rivalry' between Lyssa and Jay Gaelan continues unabated. At this point it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, and mission control have no plans to intervene. It's all fair game until the other kerbal cries, at which point you're an irredeemable butt and it's your fault.

unwYuYP.jpg

We're not entirely sure whether the nights are brighter on Niven... speculation is that it relates to the thin atmosphere.

4 hours ago, InterplanetJanet said:

Is that a vale of tears, or a Vall of tears? :sticktongue:  Or a Val of tears?;.;

:)

I was genuinely astonished at the end of Take 2 to have made it to the surface.  Vall suddenly became Vallhalla for me.

Finally making it to a Jolian destination makes me feel like I have just passed the halfway mark and entered Part 2 of KSP.

@InterplanetJanet do... do you need a hug?

Honestly, I can totally see where the "Linux is better" crowd is coming from. I still prefer Windows as my home environment, but I also fully admit that this is only because I was quite literally raised on it (been using computers since I was like... three?) and my attachment stems from pure familiarity. Like the person who still drives a beat-up old rustbucket car just because they've had it since 1978.

55 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Vall suddenly became Vallhalla for me.

Dang! If I hadn't already locked in a naming theme for my missions I'd totally steal that.

20 minutes ago, Ace in Space said:

Honestly, I can totally see where the "Linux is better" crowd is coming from. I still prefer Windows as my home environment, but I also fully admit that this is only because I was quite literally raised on it (been using computers since I was like... three?) and my attachment stems from pure familiarity. Like the person who still drives a beat-up old rustbucket car just because they've had it since 1978.

I use a mac. Once an apple user, always an apple user :wink: 

48 minutes ago, Ace in Space said:

Heheh, let me introduce you to my old buddy MS-DOS, here. :sticktongue:

Want to add a new hard drive? Graphics card? Soundblaster™️? Get ready for a fun-filled day of setting jumpers, randomly guessing at IRQ’s, and spending hours on hold with Tech Support... :P

138mjJ6.png

I have been experimenting with floating amphibious mobile bases, which I may send to Laythe. I was preparing to send a mobile base to one of Laythe's larger islands, but realized there wasn't much point of that since it could only acquire so much data on a single island. And it couldn't get data from the water biomes. So I started little speed boats to carry instruments out to see, but then what if they run out of fuel? And they'd still have to go to a base with a science lab to deliver the data. So just decided to build a base that could float. It carries full science and mining gear, and 9 crew. It could be expanded, but I don't plan on ever doing that.

rJQi56b.png

It is powered by 6 Wheesley engines, and stores most of the fuel in the floats. It's turning radius on water is okay, doesn't have to be good. I chose the Wheeslies over the thrust vectored Panthers for the better thrust rating and fuel consumption, and for the thrust reversing capability which I have wired into the breaking function. It will stop on a dime. And it cruises at 33 m/s. Sailing from island to island, it can go anywhere on Laythe. 

This afternoon I lifted the Kraken-2 into orbit and gave it a trial run. It worked. I don't know the power level for sure, but it seems about that of an ion engine, a bit less actually. I put a Double-C Seismic Accelerometer onboard, but apparently in v1.2.2 the scientist can't get a reading from it... I'd have to switch back to the ship itself to get a reading, and doing so stops the 'engine'. Steering / navigation isn't too bad, but it isn't too good either, as it tends to yaw (or maybe it's roll) a tad. Again, a v1.2.2 issue, I can't have ASAS hold a navigation lock while switched to the 'engine'. I'm sure there's a way around these two issues, some manner of mod would suffice, but I've no plans to go any further with this. This was just a bit of fun, kill some time, and now on to missions already in progress.

Anyway, the Kraken-2 after being placed in Kerbin orbit by its launch vehicle (standard rocket). The 'engine' is seated, awaiting activation once course is set.
HXpqrpU.png

The test was a flight out to Mun's orbit. No intercept was made due to the guestimated timing and nav-drift... but we got out there.
vxjLoCc.png

After circularizing our orbit, albeit slightly off-plane with the Mun (due to the nav-drift), we pointed retrograde and did a 'burn' for home. Reentry was quite normal, and landing in the Badlands actually gained us some science we'd not grabbed early on in the game.
f38114m.png

Nothing spectacular, but it was fun. :D

Well, today had its ups and downs.

The Gilly test lander arrived at its destination, but due to not having any relay constellations in the area, when it passed behind Gilly, it lost connection and I only had partial control of the craft. That is, no manual steering or throttle, but I could switch the SAS modes and turn the throttle on at full power and back off again. Already being on a ground-ward trajectory, I had no choice but to try to land it with this pitiful setup. Thankfully, Gilly's extremely low gravity is very, very forgiving - even at full free-fall I don't think I ever exceeded 15 m/s.

I must have spent at least an hour trying to land the stupid thing. Mostly because if it hit the ground at more than 1.5 m/s, it would bounce back off like a tennis ball. Even with a craft powered entirely by puff engines, it's very difficult to slow descent just before landing when you can only throttle in "all or nothing" mode; most of the time even my fastest attempts to hit z-x resulted in over-throttling and shooting back up into the sky yet again, before coming back down for another bounce. Due to the bumpy terrain, it would often bounce at a weird angle. Correcting for angle when you can only use SAS modes and no manual steering is also exceptionally difficult. Several times I ended up overcorrecting for something while trying to cancel sideways velocity and ended up flinging myself into another high arc. At one point I actually flipped the craft over entirely just barely above the ground, but by some miracle no solar panels clipped the ground, leaving the lander entirely unharmed. And with the "no time warp below X altitude" rule in place, falling was painfully slow. I mean, I knew Gilly's gravity was low. But it didn't really sink in just how low it was until I actually saw it. Like, stuff falls so slowly it seems to just hang in place. I took advantage of my lack of functional shift key to shift-tab into steam overlay and chat with a friend while waiting for my craft to fall some 10 meters after a particularly bad bounce. Oh, and it was on the dark side of Gilly, of course.

But ultimately, I did land it, and proceeded with basic functionality test. Extending the drill nearly flipped the craft over again, but ultimately it stayed steady. After all that madness and still having a ridiculous amount of monoprop left, I've concluded that the lander design itself is definitely viable. We'll see how well the mining portion works.

7E541AFD9F5452406216CE7F77E9F5DB06673964

And I really, really, really hope it works, because, uh... I had this craft saved as both a standalone lander and a version mounted to a rocket. And I wanted to delete the standalone lander craft. And I, uh... deleted the wrong one. :blush: So I had to redesign the rocket from memory.

In other news, the crafts I sent to Duna have arrived and achieved Ike orbit, including Ruby 4.1, the kerballed craft I forgot to refuel and was worried about! If any of them are short on fuel, it's the new truck, but that's alright, because I can just send the fuel lifter from the station to provide a little more fuel for landing. It's nice having infrastructure already in place! Ruby will dock to the station and wait there for a time while I swap the old fuel tower out for the new one and get fuel production going. After there's a significant amount of fuel, it'll be make or break for Ruby, to see whether it can go from Ike orbit to Duna's surface and back again with only its three fuel towers.

CFCE2E51F037924AFDDB4FC4D53AAFA34A08DB6D

Oh, and the Dres scouting probe is almost at its destination, so we'll get to see how that one pans out too. :) 

But I've got a meeting early tomorrow morning, so this will all have to wait, because I need sleep.

Edited by Ace in Space

I updated my favorite SSTO design with MH parts.  New hotness:

C1jw7ez.jpg

Spoiler

Old and busted, for reference:

5EEAEIr.jpg

Wolfhound engines for pushing to apo and circularizing meant I could get rid of 30 tons of fuel and tanks (16% of total launch mass! for the same cargo!) and 11 parts, the Soyuz style tanks are very low drag, and look pretty sharp to boot.  I never even have to switch to closed-cycle on the rapiers.

https://kerbalx.com/fourfa/ORCA-v3

Edited by fourfa

I made this at pure random. It can SSTO 90km with 260m/s to spare, and land again pretty nicely. :confused: (But no cargo space...yet?)

I'll likely rename it to The Shadoen... I got your Roswell Conspiracy right here, boi!

vmvub7i.jpg

More pics here...

Edited by JadeOfMaar

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Heheh, let me introduce you to my old buddy MS-DOS, here. :sticktongue:

Want to add a new hard drive? Graphics card? Soundblaster™️? Get ready for a fun-filled day of setting jumpers, randomly guessing at IRQ’s, and spending hours on hold with Tech Support... :P

I seldom had those problems with DOS.  Maybe I was just lucky, but I don't recall ever having an IRQ conflict.  My Sound Blaster required a jumper to be moved, and of course there were the master/slave/cable jumpers on MFM and RLL hard disks, but I never had much problem with those.