What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 hours ago, ~>APOLLOSMUDGE123<~ said:

Or, I have to manually put the cargo into the cargo bay; which I think means that the kraken has chosen to attack the VAB physics.

The VAB and SPH have no physics, therefore there can't be any kraken attack.

Yes, you have to put your cargo manually in the cargo bay while being in the editor, it's always been that way. Make sure your module has a proper mount point.

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hey, how are you posting your pictures?

Sorry about that.  I'm posting them in a 1-row, 5-col table, which means the pictures render quickly on a desktop so people who prefer to skip my schtick [and there are a few -- I know, because they write in!  :) ] can just scroll on by...  (I liked the cartoon strip feel to that, too.)

Then if you click the first shot to enlarge it, you can use a right-arrow to go through a slide-show.

Hadn't thought about small screen devices...  I'll have to rethink it.

Edited by Hotel26

9 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hey, how are you posting your pictures? They come out in iOS mobile in a single long line that does horrid things to the page width. :confused:

On my laptop they display at full size and get clipped off rather than stretching the page. Means I can't see the whole thing, though, so it's still a problem.

4 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

which means the pictures render quickly on a desktop

Yeah, but on some browsers we just can't see them at all. Just saw your explanation of how to view them. I had no idea you could do that, and I'm probably not alone. Consider putting them inside spoiler tags instead?

Today I finally got around to testing the Gilly mining lander's feasibility as a resource shuttlecraft. Having mined a full tank of ore and waited for Gilly to be in position such that I actually had a connection, it was time to see if the monoprop-based system was capable of lifting the payload into orbit. And it was, with plenty of fuel to spare (despite having spent it like a millionaire spends money during the awkward and painfully long landing).

D9E0B3A8B1AE39315CD6CE8E60A9F2C906B9E8FD

Unfortunately I still think I'm going to need to launch a replacement, because it occurs to me that with my preoccupation with the main monoprop thrusters, I forgot to add actual RCS ports, which are kind of important considering that this is a craft meant to repeatedly dock to a station. I sure hope I recreated that rocket accurately. Once I had the lander in orbit, I jettisoned the antenna, as I don't intend to pilot this particular lander again, and will need to have its docking port open when I eventually come back to build the rest of the station. The plan is to use the new lander to pick up the ore from this one rather than just discarding it, as it will allow the station to begin working immediately after construction. But that's not for a while yet.

Spoiler

Begone, foul umbrella-thing!

D2A43F7DD89D4FB40F23DA16CACA10573C1C72C9

Did some standard maintenance on Onyx Station, shuttling fuel and whatnot. Got a chance to see the headlight on the new truck in action. It's great! I think I'm going to put lights on more things in the future. I don't know how I got this far without them.

Spoiler

1A894C3DEDA72D663D56CA0EEA283652B58B1E8C

And finally, docked next to a craft with extended solar panels, because I like to live dangerously.

F25642E81F63E0D7CD700AAD25384C42EC42667A

Edited by Ace in Space

5 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Wonder if spoilering it would help....

Yup, the table is an in-between measure.  A spoiler would mean that people who might enjoy my schtick would just scroll on by.  In some cases, I've put up the first screenshot and then the rest in the spoiler...  I'll revert to considering use of that again for people who can't afford large monitors.  :)  But this one HAD to be a cartoon strip.  It was yelling for it.

Thanks for the feedback.

UPDATE: OK, maybe a 5-row, 1-col table would have worked better...  I'll experiment.

Edited by Hotel26

7 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Then if you click the first shot to enlarge it, you can use a right-arrow to go through a slide-show.

Okay, yeah, I just tested, and I can confirm that it looks very different in Internet Explorer (yes, yes, I know, it's terrible, but I'm used to it) than in Chrome. In Chrome it loads as a line of small thumbnails that can be clicked through. On IE it loads at full size and gets pushed offscreen, and clicking does nothing, so there's no way to view the rest of the images.

5 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Thanks for the feedback.

It’s cool. :cool: Just wasn’t sure if it was my tablet throwing a hissy fit over something completely mundane, wouldn’t be the first time. :rolleyes: Everyone’s got their own preference on how to post pix. 

3 minutes ago, Ace in Space said:

I can confirm that it looks very different in Internet Explorer

Are you sure you’re not just viewing preview shots from KSP 0.19? <_<

2 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

I often try to imagine what it was like living behind the Iron Curtain.

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Are you sure you’re not just viewing preview shots from KSP 0.19? <_<

As I've said before, I'm the computer equivalent of the person who keeps driving a rustbucket that could fall apart any day just because they've been driving it since '78. I know it's terrible, I admit it's terrible, but I keep using it out of pure familiarity. And keep chrome on standby for when it fails. :D 

7 minutes ago, Ace in Space said:

keeps driving a rustbucket

At least nobody has brought up the rustbucket rocket vehicles I slap together.  [Uh, I think I just did.  :) ]

I'm not gonna be throwin' stones this day, brother.

:)

Edited by Hotel26

I'm still playing around in my 'messing about' sandbox savegame, waiting for KER to be updated to 1.4.1.

(Yeah, I know it works fine, but I really want all of my mods to be fully upgraded)

EDIT: 100 posts, yay!!! :D

Edited by RealKerbal3x

had contracts for landing two tourists on the mun, saving tefan from munar orbit, planting a flag on the mun, sciencing on the mun, spacewalking in munar orbit, and rendevous in munar orbit.

tried to do all six in the same launch.

built a big ugly ship, made it to orbit.
forgot the tourists.
relaunch, make orbit, forgot the solar panels.
launched with a probe core instead of a pilot, put the reaction wheel below the landing stage because i thought tefan was a pilot......he's not. crashed into the mun.
landed sideways not he mun
crashed into the mun again
landed sideways on the mun......again.
landed on the mun........with no electricity left to start the engine.
landed on the mun again withought enough dv to make it back.

then, as if a grace from god i landed on the dark side of the mun with no landing lights, tefan(a scientist) and two tourists, with enough DV to get back once im on the day side.

qe1MOtA.png

im begining to get a love hate relationship with this game, moments like landing the dark side of the mun, and spacewalking get my heart beating out of my chest. other moments, like crashing into the dark side of the mun and spacewalking past the ship into the unforgiving void have me yelling at my keyboard.

speaking of keyboards, do you guys have any suggestions for a good wireless keyboard and mouse combo? the ones i have now are great.......unless i go more than a minute withought touching a key, or the mouse, if i do they fall asleep and they take almost a minute to wake up. you wouldnt beleive how frustrating it is to be coming in for a landing and the keyboard decides to go to sleep and you cant open your chutes........

Sent some power to Anemone Station.

ewb9dmZ.jpg

Who's ranium?

O5Ik36n.jpg

So that went well...

Au0weC2.jpg

But the good news is, the Anemone is not a bomb! The boffins back home are theorising that the Anemone, now powered and apparently working again, interpreted the radio signals between control and the probe as a request to activate whatever high tech alien wormholey timey wimey transport mechanism it uses. The station team is unharmed except for having to jettison a few pairs of used underwear, and are beginning an analysis of the transmissions and how the Anemone reacted.

(Technical details and RP explanations of the Anemone in the spoiler below. They are spoilery.)

Spoiler

For the curious, the wormholey stuff is provided by ESLD Jump Beacons Revived. The planetary system around Grannus is provided by the Grannus Expansion Pack.

The Anemone is a massive, welded, customised part with a beacon module plus all the goodies from ESLD that make it reliable. It is capable of synthesising Karborundum, because I have no other use for this material in my game and didn't want to mine it. My thanks go to @JadeOfMaar for helping work out how to write the configs to get the entire kaboodle running as a single entity without overheating or kersploding.

Synthesis does however require a supply of 5000ec/s, which acted as a tech gateway on getting the one around Iota up and running. The Anemone at Grannus (specifically Bellsama, moon of Nodens) can generate its own power, but for RP reasons I am inclined to require it to have an attached 'command' module with some engineers and scientists to operate. I feel this is a nice way to expand the (already large) GPP system, allowing the Grannusian planets to be accessed as if they are local to Ciro, but without crowding the Ciro system.

Both Anemones were placed with Hyper Edit. That the Iotian one has been apparently knocked out of it's lagrange point by docking is... perhaps predictable. It is of course a fake phenomena, in that it was placed in stationary orbit above the far side of Iota, and there are no gravitational forces helping to keep it stable. At this altitude, its orbital velocity is only 47m/s to even a tiny tiny touch will knock it a few seconds/minutes out of sync. I'm fine with this though, since now I don't have to build a communication satellite for it :P 

/spoilers

2 hours ago, putnamto said:

im begining to get a love hate relationship with this game, moments like landing the dark side of the mun, and spacewalking get my heart beating out of my chest. other moments, like crashing into the dark side of the mun and spacewalking past the ship into the unforgiving void have me yelling at my keyboard.

speaking of keyboards, do you guys have any suggestions for a good wireless keyboard and mouse combo? the ones i have now are great.......unless i go more than a minute withought touching a key, or the mouse, if i do they fall asleep and they take almost a minute to wake up. you wouldnt beleive how frustrating it is to be coming in for a landing and the keyboard decides to go to sleep and you cant open your chutes........

Yep, that's KSP for you :)  The good news is most of this can be resolved by planning; e.g. ensure your deorbit burn doesn't bring you down in the dark and checking who you've loaded before you launch :wink:  Eventually it becomes instinctive and stuff works more often. For EVA issues, remember to be very gentle and tap-tap the thrusters only, and space will orient your kerbal to the camera.

As for keyboards; anything by Microsoft or Logitech would be my call. That said, the behaviour your describing might be your USB ports. Check under device manager, make sure the box for "Allow the PC to turn off this device to save power" is NOT ticked.

Edited by eddiew

On 3/23/2018 at 12:51 AM, qzgy said:

Opened KSP and tried to make a flying wing SSTO (of sorts). Still doesn't SSTO without the cheats menu....

screenshot797.png

Might need just more oxidizer or something....

Your vessel is beautiful... (repeating the picture just because of that)

The recipe for low-power-much-wing planes is to *not* do a zoom climb, but keep flying: that is, air under your wings keeps you up and you can gently gain altitude as you accelerate. Here's me doing it with a much simpler, one-NTR flying wing. Your's has twice as much thrust and, for all the additions, I doubt it has twice as much drag. So I think it should be capable of getting there on a similar profile.

7 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

UPDATE: OK, maybe a 5-row, 1-col table would have worked better...  I'll experiment

Are you doing the table to essentially make them thumbnails?

You can hold ctrl and right click on the image to set its size, and you can also use the squares at the corners of the image when you paste the link to adjust the size.  I do the ctrl + right click method because it's a lot quick to set multiple images to the same size.

KSpImageAdjust.png

Edited by Geonovast

I made a hover car! (rover has a small amount of RCS to pop it back up to the lander for science recovery.  Unintentionally, it's the perfect distance and weight where it'll try to pull it up to dock, but doesn't quite have the power, so the rover just hovers).

39 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Are you doing the table to essentially make them thumbnails?

Not thumb-nails, or at least, not their conventional size, as they would be too small to engender any interest.

In the general case, I'd like two screen-shots side-by-side in the width.  Big enough to see what is in each screen-shot and have interest captured, but easy enough to scroll on by, because I'd aim to have all screen-shots fit on a page or not much more.  (I have had, on occasion, to scroll through 40 pages of shots I didn't want to see, so I figure the Golden Rule applies.)

And I'd like to provide the option that the interested reader can see a shot enlarged and then easily slide to the next, if interested.

So, I'm looking for that middle ground.

I'd settle for a format of one "heading" shot followed by the rest in a spoiler, especially if I could make the one-click slide-show available.  Scrolling full-scale shots is not much fun.

Edited by Hotel26

9 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

And I'd like to provide the option that the interested reader can see a shot enlarged and then easily slide to the next, if interested.

It works that way with re-sizing using the method I mentioned.  It only changes the display size, not the size of the image.  Clicking on it still brings up the full image / slideshow.

I believe what you're trying to do is exactly what I do.

Click on any of those pictures, and it brings up the full image with the slideshow arrows.

Edited by Geonovast

17 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I believe what you're trying to do is exactly what I do.

Perfect!  Yes.  That is what I want.  I assume you achieved this by placing the links side-by-side on the same line and I further intuit that this is superior to a table for the same effect because it allows the browser to break the images vertically for small-screen devices.  (Resizing wasn't my issue.)

I will try this next time.  Thank you. 

Update: @Geonovast  Also, it appears that the slide-show feature operates for all images on the post, including ones in subsequent spoiler sections which is provides the Ultimate in User Preservation.

Edited by Hotel26