What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

And Alexander wept, for there were no worlds left to conquer.

wRK2ttb.png

So that's engineer Lefty Kerman and pilot Tomner Kerman on the surface of Bop, the last solid body in the Kerbol system that had yet to be visited by Kerbals. I've now planted a flag on every planet and moon in the game. The only question now is whether I should begin my hiatus from KSP right away or wait until I've had my Eeloo ship execute its return burn before I move on to other games.

12 hours ago, HalcyonSon said:

I built a USAF C17 ripoff... really just a simple STOL cargo plane.  Goliaths on a Mk3 start getting toasty above Mach 1, and get VERY unhappy pushing that brick close to Mach 2.  So unhappy that the heat they generate will *poof* the wings.  If I manage to keep it sloooow, the stupid engines fall off the first time wheels hit the runway (even at 0.5 m/s sink rate).  It's a work in progress.

I've had that problem. Struts will help.

I've had this problem also, with my cargo plane. I started putting the Small Radiator Panels on the rear of the engine nacelles, which worked very well in bleeding off heat. I also used the idea on my Albatross2 (struts on wings and radiator panels), and it can cruise for quite extended periods at about Mach 4.

Hope that helps.

15 hours ago, HalcyonSon said:

Is that Mk3 Cargo Bay tweakscaled?  That rover looks much larger than anything I've been able to squeeze in.

Guilty as charged M'Lud. The rover will fit in a standard Mk3 as standard  but this version has a wider track wheels. The two base modules on the right fit in a standard bay whilst the exploration rover on the left needs the "enhanced" bay.

screenshot19

The rovers have been landed with standard bays and rejigged in the field but this version is meant for uncrewed deployment so needed wide track from the get go.

screenshot20

Jeb and Wally almost made it to orbit in Akhet 1, based on the "Pea" capsule.  Something in the aerodynamics and/or COG made the capsule and its service module tumble during the final boost-to-orbit.  They landed safely halfway around Kerbin.  Engineers are looking into the problem.

1.4.1 is 95% completed with my favorite mods; I can proceed without the others for the time being.  Onward to Duna!

7 hours ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

begin my hiatus from KSP right away

Say it ain't so...!  :(

I've had my mid-life crisis [Jool] already so I foresee the next big crisis coming for me is retirement -- and have started planning.  New Horizons or maybe Kolonization?  Too addicted to stop...

7 hours ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

The only question now is whether I should begin my hiatus from KSP right away or wait until I've had my Eeloo ship execute its return burn before I move on to other games.

Personally I'd install a planet pack and start over. There are a number of good ones out and some promising ones in development these days, and the latest Kopernicus has made them remarkably memory efficient. Bound to be something that takes your fancy :) 

8 hours ago, LordFerret said:

engines fall off the first time wheels hit the runway

If they're not already attached to the fuselage (but are attached to their natural, visible position (such as the wings), take a deep swallow and use the Gizmo to attach everything to the fuselage no matter where it goes in the layout.)

This is the lesson I was given in the SPH first time round by the Masters of the Craft...

8 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

any of y'all can guess which aircraft I'm making solely off of the engines?

I'd say it's Boeing's Elaborate New B737 Test plane (737MAX) for its new GE9X engines...

..and I base that on a Google search: "Which airplane is @Kronus_Aerospace building now with huge fat-ass engines?"

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

I can see how you would think that, they are pretty similar, But not quite, pay attention to the very very specific details.

GE90-115b? CF6? It's gotta be the GEnx-1B74, it has the same number of blades, 18, and has the same fan size relative to the engine. If I'm right, it's a Boeing 787-9.

EDIT: How much thrust does it produce?

Edited by Kebab Kerman

For those who were having a good day, let me ruin it for you:

This is my long range missle with a ~4000km range, launched horizontaly. It can carry 3x 500kg nuclear warheads to its target, and it has a spin stabilized SRB upper stage.

XEdN84v.png

Been refining my reusability program.  This is the whopper:  a 1600 ton booster that can loft over 100 tons into a 100km orbit with the downrange landing profile (analogous to Space X landing on the barge vs. back at launch site).  It can put the same payload to about 90km with about 800 m/s of speed with the boost back to launch site flight profile.  As shown here: 

Ground Crew doing last inspections before roll out: 

RZz2E0u.jpg

Launch!:

FSO4kgZ.png

The payload:

Pn9UTpc.png

Reentry burn:

XtYQtw1.png

Coming in Hot:

YkbZ7yO.png

bEM7Rl1.png

Landing:

UEEG6EW.png

Sweet!:

ShleZVj.png

Edited by netbumbler

3 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

GE90-115b? CF6? It's gotta be the GEnx-1B74, it has the same number of blades, 18, and has the same fan size relative to the engine. If I'm right, it's a Boeing 787-9.

EDIT: How much thrust does it produce?

Close enough, I'll give it too ya. It's actually the GEnx-2B, meaning I am making 747-8. To be fair there really was no way of telling the difference.

To answer your question: Not sure yet, It would make sense to give it 296 Kilonewtons of thrust, since that is the stationary thrust of the GEnx-2B. I can accomplish that simply by clipping a tuned down Goliath Inside of it. However I'm probably going to give it more thrust than that. If just because it's going to make my 747-8 more fun to fly.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

I am very sad.

:(

I spilled milk on my laptop and it stopped working.

I’m going to have to wait until it’s fixed or I get a working one. The really annoying thing is it’s probably wiped the hard drive (which means it deleted my main save that I’ve worked really hard in)

All I can say is:

;.;;.;;.;

you probably won’t see me on here for a while.

Technically two days. Again. 

With my Wi-Fi connection not letting me connect to my online games so that left one game and KSP. I decided to dust off my save and get to work immediately. I was surprised by how much I missed this game (as well as how fun the forums were :p). Just building and flying put a grin on my face I couldn't shake off. Anyways...

WARNING: a lot of pictures ahead.

Spoiler

gw2HkTK.png

This is the K-160! Like a K...I mean C-130 but like a C-119! It preforms all the duties of a C-130 while looking like a C-119 on steroids! I needed a cargo aircraft for landing anywhere that could carry a substantial payload. My 747F carries too little, and my An-225 was too big and heavy. It also has a claw to secure any payload it might have.

873iChU.png

Its first task was bring a fuel truck to the Old Island Airfield to make sure the fighters and bombers stationed there have sufficient fuel for whatever task I need them to preform.

023OyCu.png

aPtbF98.png

A kerbal can reach that far right?

tSET7CK.png

Next was a delivery to Rock Bay of those Shermans I've been meaning to get there for like a year now.

eXuwbFq.png

FRFbumL.png

I then landed first try without crashing 5 times before!

IiWrCd2.png

This is the space I had to work with...

I9NT3ho.png

Muu9UAu.png

Unfortunately one Sherman flipped upside down in flight because it wasn't secure. And the other, once I disconnected it from the claw...

mWzKShv.png

RUEjWNg.png

96F15ZF.png

Yeah... I quicksaved but all I have is a (now intact) plane, and two knocked out Shermans....

I also built some replicas here and there etc..

TL;DR I made this plane and did some things with it.

kgkJFBx.png

btw I've been gone for a while two two months now, anything I should know?

Edited by Spacetraindriver

made orbit, first time in the save, on the first attempt. Zero additional science though as the near space stuff with available equipment has already been collected.

a few more fund raising "measurement" flights in the small aircraft built for the purpose, then a longer flight to the desert area over the water to the west of KSC, parachute landing and science collection.

wandered over to look at the monolith near KSC, slightly disappointing to discover thats it, you walk up and see it, and thats well it, but there you go.

contract for mun flyby, will need about another 25 science so more local flights planned to unlock the mid sized fuel tank needed to undertake this within the initial part limit, and to raise funds to update the launch pad slightly to handle greater mass.

suitable science targets to be identified.

May also consider a high angle sub orbital flight for "high above Kerbin" science though re-entry can be more risky.

9 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Say it ain't so...!  :(

I've had my mid-life crisis [Jool] already so I foresee the next big crisis coming for me is retirement -- and have started planning.  New Horizons or maybe Kolonization?  Too addicted to stop...

8 hours ago, eddiew said:

Personally I'd install a planet pack and start over. There are a number of good ones out and some promising ones in development these days, and the latest Kopernicus has made them remarkably memory efficient. Bound to be something that takes your fancy :) 

The thing is, I want to move on to other games. I've got a big backlog built up because I wanted to stick with KSP until I'd finished my goals in career mode (planting a flag on every body and colonizing Laythe) and I'm pretty eager to start playing them. I'll probably come back to KSP eventually and try a modded career, but I've got other things to play in the meantime.

9 minutes ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

The thing is, I want to move on to other games. I've got a big backlog built up because I wanted to stick with KSP until I'd finished my goals in career mode (planting a flag on every body and colonizing Laythe) and I'm pretty eager to start playing them. I'll probably come back to KSP eventually and try a modded career, but I've got other things to play in the meantime.

I sympathise. KSP is a great love of mine, but it's also a demanding mistress and sometimes you just need to step back for a while to avoid it taking over everything and eventually becoming something you resent.

Maybe 1.5 will catch your eye, but failing that, don't underestimate the quality of the planet packs available for 1.3.1. It's a pretty good version for long term use :) 

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I am very sad.

:(

I spilled milk on my laptop and it stopped working.

I’m going to have to wait until it’s fixed or I get a working one. The really annoying thing is it’s probably wiped the hard drive (which means it deleted my main save that I’ve worked really hard in)

All I can say is:

;.;;.;;.;

you probably won’t see me on here for a while.

giphy.gif

Sorry dude, hope your drive is fine. ^_^

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The really annoying thing is it’s probably wiped the hard drive

I'd say that's actually pretty unlikely, unless the milk got on the drive itself.

Stick the drive in something else and see if it tries to boot.