What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Why hasn't anybody posted anything in over three hours!?

If it makes you feel better, I haven't posted anything substantial on this thread since the 23rd of February. Just something to ponder. Not for lack of things to post, either...

14 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

So I finally decided to post my 51,300 ton beast of a rocket, Download here https://kerbalx.com/Kronus_Aerospace/10-Kilotons-to-LKO-no-Autostrut

Well, tried to stress my computer with that THING. Unfortunatly did not get it to launch. What I did get was pretty amazing fireworks.

What is it you are doing to prevent that rocket from RUD on the pad?

Other than trying this rocket I did nothing in KSP, but imagined lots of nice designs that I would do, if I had time.

1 minute ago, duesenmilan said:

Well, tried to stress my computer with that THING. Unfortunatly did not get it to launch. What I did get was pretty amazing fireworks.

What is it you are doing to prevent that rocket from RUD on the pad?

Other than trying this rocket I did nothing in KSP, but imagined lots of nice designs that I would do, if I had time.

The way KSP works is heavily dependant on how well it's running, so for example, this thing blew up a lot while taking those screen shots, but when I played the game with my normal graphics settings it worked fine. So I would try using the minimum graphics settings and minimum resolution when using this rocket, if that doesn't work than just use unbreakable joints when it's loading in, after that it should be safe to turn unbreakable joints off, if that still doesn't work than get a new computer. Reverting to launch and quick saving/loading also causes it blow up sometimes, so avoid doing that. Also even if the rocket doesn't undergo RUD the motion of the rocket while it's settling can destroy the launch pad. I mean the thing is 2088 parts this is kind of expected.

Had some time to take my tweaked SSTO for another test flight.  I also managed to complete a LKO rescue contract in the process.  Actually had to do two - I had Jeb spacewalk to take some data from a recently unlocked gravioli detector and accidentally turned on the nuke engine on low thrust.  Happily the plane has a drone core also & I was able to shut it off before it got too far from Jeb.  I think he still had almost 2 units of EVA fuel remaining when he got back on board.  Anyway, test flight was a success, so all I need now is the next Jool window, and something to refuel in orbit.

Shortly after takeoff:bBYm55V.png?2

And getting up close to 20km.   This may be the best heating effects I've seen since the 1.4 update. 

4HwnKMM.png?2

Since I had such good fortune with the SSTO, I thought I'd take a shot at a flying wing.  All I can say is that Jeb is very appreciative for the cockpit escape system I installed before the first test flight.  Especially since the cockpit was the only part that actually took off.

FYI76Zx.png?2

DLYHZ6C.png?2

xQHEcr5.png?2

Not a whole lot. Built the basic S-II stage structure for my Saturn V. 

Tbru5TJ.jpg

I need to build the fairing that makes up the top of the LH2 tank so it actually looks like something as it falls away after being jetissoned. Then I need to add all the greebles, including (and for the sake of part count limited to) LH2 suction lines, a cable tunnel, and the aft heatshields.

Does anyone have an opinion on how the interstage should be made? I was thinking of going with a single arc full circle (possible through craft file editing) fairing for the interstage, but I've just realized that would prevent the addition of ullage rockets. I could just do without the ullage rockets (the final four apollo missions didn't have any). Alternatively I could build the interstage using static radiator panels. This would give some semblance of the corrugated structural metal, and would give a surface to attach the ullage rockets to. It would however add a lot of parts. I want to avoid putting this stage over 200 parts, lest the whole rocket go over 1k. :/ 

Edit: Not sure if this stuff should be going in the WIP thread or here. I mean it's WIP, but it's what I did in KSP today too lol :P

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Part Variants introduced in 1.4 have inspired me to revisit custom liveries.   Today Green Cherub Lead Solo Karon Kerman was out practicing for the 2018 Kerbal Beach Air Show with a fresh new coat of paint!

GreenCherub5.jpg

I have a decent GIMP setup now for rapidly adding custom liveries to the stock skins.  No tedious pixel editing or actual painting skills involved.  Just basic vector shapes and solid color area  bucket fills.  The bi-view (sans alpha channel) below shows the before/after on the Green Cherub Livery cockpit.

Bi-view_skin.jpg

I think next, I'd like to see how my Sci-Bomber will look with radar absorbent coating...  I'm pretty close now on the GIMP setup for converting the skins to Stealth Variants.

Stealth_Cockpit_1.jpg

Stealth_Cockpit_2.jpg

I never post here. Here's a few images upgrading stations and getting crewed up/fueled up and stuff for a couple of big missions to Eve and Moho in 50 days or so. 

Robert Frost Station upgrade from the janky Munbuoey I'd been using.

xgyVBFu.png

Crew em up!

iUqMd4G.png

The Night Bus returning to Mark Strand Station,

z098Ns7.png

Shuttle Tydirium back to base:

gON9UFC.png

Trick is, I think, to line up your dry COM and COL, so you can shift your fuel to control your pitch:

f7hGGGE.png

Mohosquito on the scene,

W7PVpCS.png

Mmmm roasty potatoes...

ECQUakg.png

Honestly after the inevitable plane change mining asteroids seems barely worth it.

UVgfRNC.png

Tanky Tanky out to Minmus for the reup.

QrWAqOs.png

Really cant get over Nertea's work.

QWekAXO.png

I like that these look like viruses.

flY23pS.png

Sylvia Plath Station looking much more habitable,

2k4cQ4T.png

Edited by Pthigrivi

Not today but recently, Jeb and Bob (?) roving on Mun. Really satisfying and rewarding action. 

Edit: I just noticed the weird fuelline at the MEM, how come so? I really dont remember that happening... oh-oh...

f4TfFAI.png

Edited by Mikki

6 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Just made my new test payload....... This might be a bit excessive, just a little bit though.

@Kronus_Aerospace, someone (competent in modeling, so !=me) needs to make a VAB and/or SPH for you to launch.

12 hours ago, Airdude said:

Installed my first mod today! (Distant Object Enhancement)

*giggles disturbingly* Oh, the first mod is sooooo nice.... that's how it starts, you know. :o:confused:

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I made a precision landing on manual

Outstanding! I don't think Mortimer can complain about that one! (although he will anyway)

ObTopic: Something Ain't Right. I played for at least six hours yesterday, and - not counting what went extremely wrong and required a revert, restart, or a TaskManager->EndProcess - completed two maneuvers and switched kerbals on an experiment. Things That Went Extremely Wrong include:

1. (twice) program no longer taking most commands or mouse-clicks, and it wouldn't save either, requiring a kill. :mad: Twice. :mad::mad:
  2. program was working fine, particular ship (that had plenty of EC, probe core, antenna, active antenna, active antenna within range of comm network) just would not respond to any commands at all. Hard to maneuver that way. I did... something, I'm not sure what, like click on a particular toolbar/mod button, which made it start responding... well after the burn start moment had passed.:mad:
  3. did something else which didn't go well - I don't even remember what - and spent literally thirty minutes with the HD grinding away to revert and save.:mad: I timed it. 

Since I seem to be compelled to install and keep mods join us, @Airdudefeel the power of the Dark Side I think I need to get & install more RAM.

32 minutes ago, InterplanetJanet said:

@Kronus_Aerospace, someone (competent in modeling, so !=me) needs to make a VAB and/or SPH for you to launch.

*giggles disturbingly* Oh, the first mod is sooooo nice.... that's how it starts, you know. :o:confused:

Outstanding! I don't think Mortimer can complain about that one! (although he will anyway)

ObTopic: Something Ain't Right. I played for at least six hours yesterday, and - not counting what went extremely wrong and required a revert, restart, or a TaskManager->EndProcess - completed two maneuvers and switched kerbals on an experiment. Things That Went Extremely Wrong include:

1. (twice) program no longer taking most commands or mouse-clicks, and it wouldn't save either, requiring a kill. :mad: Twice. :mad::mad:
  2. program was working fine, particular ship (that had plenty of EC, probe core, antenna, active antenna, active antenna within range of comm network) just would not respond to any commands at all. Hard to maneuver that way. I did... something, I'm not sure what, like click on a particular toolbar/mod button, which made it start responding... well after the burn start moment had passed.:mad:
  3. did something else which didn't go well - I don't even remember what - and spent literally thirty minutes with the HD grinding away to revert and save.:mad: I timed it. 

Since I seem to be compelled to install and keep mods join us, @Airdudefeel the power of the Dark Side I think I need to get & install more RAM.

How much do you have? If you can, upgrade to at least 16 GB.