What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

21 minutes ago, InterplanetJanet said:

d1UOsix.png

My new game, first orbital mission, with Valentina (driving) and Jebediah (kvetching).

YUJQLtY.png

Yeah

Tell them if they see any weird talking green orbs, running and screaming is a perfectly rational response not that it would do them much good at that point. 

23 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Tell them if they see any weird talking green orbs, running and screaming is a perfectly rational response not that it would do them much good at that point. 

With screaming optional! (run first!)

(just found a nice redo of the original, for those uncultured heathens amongst you)

Edited by InterplanetJanet

So I built a sorta stunt plane really quick, just for laughs.  But I actually really like how it handles.

2fcscreenshot55.png

So I figured what the hell, and swapped out some fuel tanks, and the panther for a rapier to see how it does to orbit.

6eescreenshot54.png

Got to orbit just fine!  Never coming home, though, since the wings exploded on the way up (and didn't affect ascent at all).

screenshot52.png

Stable orbit with plenty of fuel to spare.  Does it still count as an SSTO if the "discarded" parts were unintentional?

screenshot53.png

This evening I made my Scrapper Pod Mk2:

pyvxjj9.png

Built from DSEV's space station parts, it sports 4 DSEV radial tanks for recycled resource storage, aft-mounted size 0 docking port from MOLE, and some stock parts for reaction control, lights, and power. In addition to the recycler arm, the Mk2 comes with a grabber arm from Buffalo: (previous iteration shown):

mrlxpc4.png

I also made a Buffalo version:

MMjfbid.png

It can scan asteroids, grab free floating parts, and recycle them.

Finally, my ground scrapper:

E9IFCXq.png

58 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Does it still count as an SSTO if the "discarded" parts were unintentional?

I guess so. Single stage orbit to me means have fixed engine and take it into orbit.

Whatever you do with the parts after that is not a concern.

Built a small (by OPT standards) SSTO to go on the front (or back) of a station. No OPT engines here though. I'm avoiding using Legacy parts for a while and where I'm going, there's no Oxygen to feed OPT Main's jet engines.

tSTAqg5.jpg

Built a vacuum lander with vertical thrust only. This is a little awkward but it's quite efficient in the long run.

ERPNgwg.jpg

Then I learned to use Angel's cruise control for "persistent thrust" and where to throttle limit the engine on this station so it doesn't threaten to melt itself.

The plane is too big and somewhat ugly next to the station so I made a smaller one (the only OPT parts on it are wings) to replace this with... But I didn't screenshot it.

uNX3KdM.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Didn't have time for much last evening, apart from fulfilling a couple of rescue contracts and ordering an upgrade of Mission Control.   My computer was busy downloading and installing Windows updates, and I was busy hoping that these were not going to cause even more Windoze-Offender problems.

I sent a rover/mobile base to Duna. This is my largest rover so far. It has ISRU capability, mobile science lab, full science kit and it hold up to eight kerbals. Can achieve speeds of 50m/s by exploiting the way how the large rover wheels turn. It uses mods Airplane plus and Kerbal Planetary Base system.

I call it Napakarhu (Polar Bear in English) and I made it to explore the southern icecap of Duna and serve as refueling base for my atmospheric planes. (Thaut I will show here one day)

XQZmf6H.png

Landings are always the most difficult thing with these huge rovers. It took a lot of testing and fine tuning to make it work.

Here you can see this "little buggy" speeding downhill at the Duna south pole. These large wheels have fantastic crash tolerance of 150m/s so it can take very rough landings after jumping from the hills of Duna.

yUwwCCD.png

Many people seem to favor quite small rovers. They are of course easier to transport to the intended location, but I find them less satisfying and less useful. This kind of huge rover can have lot of utilities, the large wheels are by far the fastest wheels there is, they can take heaviest landings and with enormous reaction wheel power it's also relatively safe to drive very fast. Driving small rover 30 m/s while trying not to go flying is more boring, than driving this beast 50 m/s and simply taking the rough landings after inevitable jumps.

This is probably the biggest size rover can have while still being somewhat rational game vise. But I would still like to make a bigger rover. It could have a greenhouse from the Kerbal planetary bases mod (I don't use life-support mods but it looks cool) or perhaps habitats from the same mod. Perhaps other science lab for faster processing? Maybe two ISRU units for faster refuel?

Edited by Ixamus

16 minutes ago, Delay said:

She could no longer take the guilt of having failed the mission.

What a way to go.

Yeah, she jumped, opened the chute, landed 1 meter below, chute was gone and she tumbled down the mountain till she exploded.

Great way to go. ^_^

Anyway, getting Jeb's new buggy ready as we speak....

EDIT:

uxSVahf.png

It may look stupid, but it's a proven concept. :cool:

Edited by Triop

18 minutes ago, Triop said:

It may look stupid, but it's a proven concept. :cool:

"proven" after the original didn't even make it >__>

In theory it works though.

4 minutes ago, qzgy said:

oh hey didn't know the jet was detachable too!

Yeah, the new DT-12 TD-12 decoupler in 1.4 is hardly visible, I kinda liked the old one.

Edited by Triop

19 minutes ago, Delay said:

The new decouplers are barely visible, yes, but they also don't disrupt the white/orage colors of the tanks and capsules. All in all I like the new ones far more.

I admit it does look smoother, but I'm just a sucker for yellow/black warning stripes ^_^

Meanwhile :

oRzLmKS.png

Edited by Triop

What did i do today?  Well first I rescued three Kerbals around Kerbin & Mun, then packed them in a lander & sent them to Mun & Minmus for experience.  Everything went smoothly, and they even cleaned up some debris left on Mun from a previous lander.  Then on the way home, a mistaken timewarp resulted in the lander coming out of warp at around 30km pointing radial out & the parachutes instantly exploding before I got it turned retrograde.   Still, I had nearly 1 km/s dV left in the tank, I figured I could still pull off a powered landing right?    Was looking good right up until I realized I was over highlands not grasslands & I did NOT have 5000m altitude to go, it was more like 500m.  They did their best, but Jully, Dudbus & somebody else died when their lander impacted the ground at ~80 m/s.  I knew Dudbus wasn't going to live long enough to get a personal parachute.

Hold my beer...

mdFMJAY.png

9Pf9n57.png

zhMwyau.png

5IJVLnp.png

YES !

We got Jeb save to the mountain of doom (rip Val)

First thing to do now is meet up with Wilkin who is still there with her MiG 21(she was there to get Val home) and evaluate our situation.

n3QkJFO.png

:cool:

EDIT:

Good job Jeb...EVA while testing fragile solar panels WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING ?!

eb8qAeM.png

I wish Val was still alive...<_<

Edited by Triop