What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

After a week of pestering @SpannerMonkey(smce), I have finally finished the first of the new vessels. I'm stoked. It works well and I was able to solve the problem with the ship sinking whenever the mains were fired up.

So, here she is, the first ship of the class, the Dres Type II patrol craft.

Nice job! 

Last night, before releasing OPT Reconfig and OPT Legacy for KSP 1.4, I made a spaceplane with only Legacy parts. And I tested air-breathing engines at beyond Mach 7.

The results were adequate™.

6OUbCH6.jpg

I'm contemplating buffing the heat tolerance on those wings. 2500K has often uniquely proven very inadequate for them. Or... everything else is rated for 2700K and above. :/ 

This absolutely cannot do for Eve ascent vehicles. :wink: 

hiYV70V.jpg

The main problem with me and KSP. I can't stop trying to find ways to improve them.

hjKHykx.png
From left to right:
'4' Experimental SSTO variant, tentatively designated '4RB', also known as "Space Phantom", based off the original craft.
'4' Original craft
'4R' Improved version with reworked tail fins and additional airbrake using flaps
'4R2' Reworked version based off the '4R' in an attempt to fix a problem from the original design, more flaps, and official addition of drop tanks(Although drop tanks were possible since the original craft)
iejFyrD.png

Possibility for a '4R3'? Well, I didn't build an emergency cockpit eject system on it(The poor pilot is trapped in the craft since the door is blocked), the CoM/CoT not aligning issue is still not fixed, and the '4RB' designation isn't supposed to be used on the SSTO variant(It's not a proper RB variant in my own way of designating them)

Weirdness happened.

jC6l4TH.pngThe other 'Start Game' screen was even weirder. Although all of the kerbals and options were still there, there was no Kerbin behind (just a black void)

The KSC was even weirder.

4tjFeWG.pngIt still let me play the game, so I launched a stock plane to investigate this new dimension. When the craft spawned, it was floating above the grass. So apparently the runway was still 'there'.

I tried crashing the plane into the space where the VAB should have been, but the F3 menu reported that I had crashed into 'Terrain'

I went into the VAB through the button on the bottom left. It was fine in there, but the usual view of the crawlerway leading to the launchpad was gone, replaced by a flat grass plain like above.

If I zoomed far enough out in flight view, Kerbin disappeared. I didn't get a screenshot, but map view was messed up too. The skybox was totally black, I couldn't see any of the celestial bodies, and Kerbin was off-centre in the Mun's orbit.

This weirdness happened in all of my saves. I was worried my KSP was totally corrupted, so I restarted the game. That seemed to clear all of the glitchiness, and the game was back to normal.

:huh: I have no idea.

1 hour ago, papuchalk said:

reminds me when i returned from Mun and found my base under water :D

Sea level rised several meters. Probably due to global warming the icebergs melted.

vua4DW2.png

WTGxwAu.png

Did you try launching a plane and flying it underwater?

:P

10 hours ago, Kek-tus said:

So I decided to joke around and went on orbit of kerbin, got an eeloo encounter. Landed on it, set a flag, took a good old surface sample and did an EVA Report.

Im currently stuck in a fly-by of kerbin with a escape shuttle pushing it into orbit with a kerbal.

Fc9X2d3.png

How in  the heck did you manage to get zero science recovery from Eloo?

That sea level bug due to scatterer is visual only, even if KSC looks like its underwater, just try to launch a vessel, or go to the tracking station and come back, things will be normal.

As for me, I've been doing a new career with making history (or rather its parts, so far haven't been interested in missions). after testing the ability to launch new launchsites, and after mods updated.

Kopernicus updated and I tried out my new 3x + inner planet mod configs. Mun moved to where minmus was, minmus moved out to help fill in the "asteroid belt" (ie its orbit is similar to that of Dres). I had buffed the science multipliers of Mun (and also kerbin high altitude/orbit/high orbit) given the lack of minmus and it being harder to reach Mun.

Today, I finally finished the tech tree, thanks in no small part to labs:

Mun station:

I3dm46Q.png

A crew transfer vehicle approaches Mun station, the main body is reusable, and the pod returns with kerbals and science (a new pod would be attached for the next trip). I could have returned a lot more science, but I left a lot to await processing in the lab

FQXWjEk.png

Despite fairings being broken in 1.4.2, and suffering massive drag, my SSTO managed to get its payload to orbit with enough fuel for the payload to get to Mun, and the SSTO to return... just barely: (also I rebuilt my 3x large SSTO with the new jumbo tanks and thrust plates. No OP'd wolfhound here). This was still waiting on some science to unlock RTGs, so this version was solar powered (two 1x6 retractable solar panels) 

Wy1BTsT.png

The payload, unfortunately, was only able to capture into an elliptical orbit of Mun, and didn't have a compatible docking port with Mun station (which was launched before docking port Sr's were unlocked), and I forgot a docking adaptor. It did have a mining rig with a claw inside though, and Mun station could stick its engine bell in the cargobay to reach the claw, so... its not pretty, but:

loMzQyX.png

(The ISRU and lander were left in low Munar orbit)

Locked in place, and fuel was transfered:

SA26WRm.png

Mun station is now adrift with just RCS, the ISRU craft "Boostrapper 1" will need to rendezvous with it sometime later.

As for the dropship... I was able to give it enough fuel to land and have its own ISRU refuel it... just barely... 5 m/s left... that was close:

E8NA3JK.png

So... after messing around reinstalling mods for version 1.4, I decided to make a Heavy SSTO...

P4dZTxc.png

Did the mach effect changed?

zvmX2FB.png

Uuuuuh... guys? is this normal?

BrRi825.png

Literally just a ball of fire

mD8SHVj.png

Still successful in making orbit, though :P

3dMFJMQ.png

Also, some weird thing happens...

PIHte0p.png

See that? That's a huge exhaust trail coming from upward-facing capsule. I didn't even turned on the engine

e3Tefzd.png

And it appears in SPH too...

8 hours ago, papuchalk said:

RealKerbal3xno, i panicked and pressed F9 !

should have saved that bug, i could have had so much fun with it. Like you said

Yeah! You could have launched an ICBM from underwater like a nuclear submarine!

I wonder if it would be possible to recreate that glitch.

And by the way, you can mention people using @, like this:

@papuchalk

:D

Edited by RealKerbal3x

4 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yeah! You could have launched an ICBM from underwater like a nuclear submarine!

I wonder if it would be possible to recreate that glitch.

[Edited for the stuff I wanted to comment on]

Yes, doesn't take much and it is a known issue. All you have to do is use scatterer. That's the mod which occasionally causes this.

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Yes, doesn't take much and it is a known issue. All you have to do is use scatterer. That's the mod which occasionally causes this.

Well, that glitch will never happen to me then, because my laptop refuses to install visual mods!

Also great to see that you’ve got your recovery ships up and running again!

39 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Well, that glitch will never happen to me then, because my laptop refuses to install visual mods!

Also great to see that you’ve got your recovery ships up and running again!

I love the visual mods... in fact, I am actually modding a solar system right now. And one of the things I am planning to do with one of the gas giants is put a layer of clouds, much like has been discovered on Neptune:

nepclds.gifRight now, I am still trying to figure out the light curve thing. Once that's done (since Kopernicus has been updated again), I will start refining the inner rocky planets. The star is a ringed blue dwarf and will have a handful of planets once I am done. Because of my work schedule, it is a slow process.

I've always had ships somewhere on the oceans of Kerbin. But the reason I had to start redoing them is Fengist has announced he is abandoning the Maritime Pack mod. This would mean I would either have to stay in 1.3.0 to continue what I am doing with the game or find a replacement mod. Luckily, @SpannerMonkey(smce) has a great mod which I am still learning the basics of ship construction. If you're interested, his mod is:

So, right now as it stands, there are four basic ship types I've used in the fan-fic I do:

• Dres Type I Patrol Craft
  • Dres Type II Patrol Craft
  • Sinaan Type I Light Cruiser
  • Harverster Kerman Type I Research/Recovery Vessel
  • Kappe Type I Seaplane Tender

Before I can roll over to 1.4.X, I have to unload that mod. It will cause issues with the game and the vessels will not work.

Thanks for the encouragement.

56 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Are you making a star? Interesting

Yes, and here's the now out of date alpha release:

Once it is completed, I believe it will add a few challenges to those who want to deal with a hypothetical star type which Carl Sagan believed existed...

13 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I didn't know SamBelanger had planet tutorials. I used the ones by TheWhiteGuardian.

I'm using a few... So far, I've not been too happy with the results. I will get there eventually.

Finished my new Duna base, and after a rather many landings i managed to assemble everything to decent layout.  Had to load up 0.90 to get the 5 way symmetry thing, which looks different then the usual things i make.

90nDzJV.png

Too bad i cant actually get a proper fence effect in game, had to photoshop that to give it the right look.

0CEcyKx.png

All i need now is for BDA to get updated to 1.4, so i can actually arm those twin turrets with plasma beam cannons instead of stock missiles and put something on those 2 armed wall segments near the entrance...

Edited by panzer1b