What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Started fiddling with the USI Modular Kolonisation System.  Initial test base with just a greenhouse and habitation module looks like it should keep a couple of kerbals happy for several months, but needed a hell of a lot of machinery parts to set up.  Bit tricky to test though as if you build it at the KSC to test they don't get homesick, so I cheated it in to orbit and after a couple of months it managed to rotate to a point it's solar panels were all covered, so Bill and Bob went on strike :D.  (if the crew run out of supplies, power, or exceed a number of days based on the amount of habitation space they have, they turn in to tourists and you can't get them to do anything until you return them to Kerbin).  I'm going to have to have a go again with a few ship parts so it can manoeuvre in orbit. 

Given that my use of MKS and kOS this career will make life a lot harder, I plan to use science labs, which I normally only use for contracts, to get me further up the tech tree than usual before I head for Duna.  So my first step will be to get a station that can be self sufficient for several months so I can resupply it and rotate the crew at the same time

It's a massive mod and I can't find any beginners tutorials so I may have to make one once I start to get the hang of it.

Recently transformed my pyramid monster lander into a SSTO because of reasons, here is a rundown of the test drive : 

https://imgur.com/gallery/kYPFu

Then I wanted to make a "light" SSTO to bring to Laythe (which i have never visited in hundred of hours), but i wanted it to have ISRU capabilities. Testing revealed that the small converter is pretty much useless, so i had to switch to the big one, transforming my "light" SSTO in a weird shaped monster. This new ship achieved orbit with around 2k dV left, and is currently refueling on minmus while waiting for the transfer window to Jool :  

https://imgur.com/gallery/4d9cZPB

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I tried a re-usability thing... half-heartedly :P and with some expectedly sci-fi/OP devices, like the 2.5m lifter engine.

Honeyview_screenshot1129.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Honeyview_screenshot1134.jpg

Honeyview_screenshot1143.jpg

Then I revisited my Gauss adventure. It was quite eventful and full of epic screenshots. It's too much to write and post pictures here. The album speaks for itself. https://imgur.com/a/LMffY 

Today's portion starts and ends with these pictures.

R9qcPsW.jpg oysQ4Rh.jpg

Thats really nice, one question though, whats the heli pad for?

I'm getting better at RSS/RO. Real fuels is hardcore

I'm also sending a solar powered probe, (not referencing Juno) to Jupiter. It's the heaviest probe i've ever launched into solar orbit, at 27 tons

At launch, the entire thing had a total of 17,500 m/s of dV

I hope that's enough lol

Edited by TheKorbinjer

Went to the Jool system:
screenshot380.png

Lobbed some stuff at Laythe, for later:
screenshot376.png

And landed on Tylo, for the first time in ages...
screenshot389.png

Manually, (MJ can't fly this thing with no engine gimbal) and with 11m/s to spare in the descent stage.
Too close, way too close.

Building a high speed rover for series of surface missions on Duna

Bored with slow regular rovers, i build a quick one, capable of going around 45 m/s and still be under controll

Lander is still only starting version.

Rover has 2 nuclear power generators, so that it can travel at night. 

more pictures here

https://imgur.com/a/6Vnr4Gg

8ZYjqWD.png

mjHkebS.png

Edited by papuchalk

Booster Landing

t4vSmBcQToaFEro_vaQcGw.jpg

At first time, we didn't do it very well.

UdaylSB9RJeRbpsCefitlQ.jpg

Look at that! It's standing :) 

QnvFbmSsRcSoXGw5LsMPHg.jpg

Let me take a picture with our flag.

rUspMPWZQiiAqm3ISHCTIQ.jpg

Here we go. Final burning.

P_HKEl9lQHyaiQTSOAzb6Q.jpg

Landing gear is on.

hQGz32oCQP_gCnACRYzqzA.jpg

Again :D 

Edited by Aaodon

22 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

Edit:  2nd attempt, checked to make sure staging was correct.  Didn't check to see if the two recruits - or in fact any kerbals - were on board.  Kinda hard to plant a flag or get experience that way.

Hmmm.  Might need to make yourself a checklist.  Real astronauts and pilots use them a lot.   :sticktongue:

3 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Hmmm.  Might need to make yourself a checklist.  Real astronauts and pilots use them a lot.   :sticktongue:

On the plus side, I at least noticed that before launch & was able to recover & try a third time, which went off flawlessly except for the scientist disappeared briefly during EVA.  Not sure what happened - he was on a ladder while I was recovering the stranded kerbal for the rescue contract, then wasn't there, then when I cycled through everything around, he reappeared on the ladder & was alive & well.

14 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

On the plus side, I at least noticed that before launch & was able to recover & try a third time, which went off flawlessly except for the scientist disappeared briefly during EVA.  Not sure what happened - he was on a ladder while I was recovering the stranded kerbal for the rescue contract, then wasn't there, then when I cycled through everything around, he reappeared on the ladder & was alive & well.

Hmmm.  Scientist has visited the Twilight Zone and returned -- or has he?  Are you certain the scientist you got back was the same Kerbal who crawled out on that ladder?  :0.0:

7 hours ago, papuchalk said:

Building a high speed rover for series of surface missions on Duna

Bored with slow regular rovers, i build a quick one, capable of going around 45 m/s and still be under controll

Lander is still only starting version.

Rover has 2 nuclear power generators, so that it can travel at night. 

more pictures here

https://imgur.com/a/6Vnr4Gg

8ZYjqWD.png

mjHkebS.png

That's a nice looking rover. My stock one can go 60 m/s though.

4 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

That's a nice looking rover. My stock one can go 60 m/s though.

Hehe, not bad unless you're on Minmus... go too fast coming over a ridge... and you're on your way to orbit! :D

Don't ask me how I know... :blush:

I didn't do it today, but this is what I did last night...

The URKN Eeloo returned to the KSC for refitting...

wvnAJ7S.png

WPSpwfA.png

Ni9KPX1.png

Hey i realized my rover doesnt have enough battery to send Atmospheric analysis through antena, so i had to add like 10 batteries. Now I call it  battery-pack Rover.

But i have issues with throttle. When i launch the Rover from spaceplane hangar, all steering works fine (throttle and brake). But when i start the same rover from VAB building as most of the rockets, when i press "forward" button, the rover starts turning on one place. Obsiously one wheel goes frontwards, the other one goes backwards. And theres nothing i can do with it with wheel control menu (right click). Any help? Ofcourse for the real mission i need to start the rover on rocket from VAB..

W0wccBU.png

UFGp7OE.png

0yYXyWF.png

Edited by papuchalk

I've started building a hub network on Kerbin.  Paxjet will be the mainstay of the long-haul routes.  (Click the first photo for a slide-show.)

IJOslCz.png  lf5a5lG.png

g5aPKC5.png  TJNH3Ap.png

Very smooth to fly but prefers to carry an extra scoop of speed into the landings, which will keep it out of the regional airports!  Note the tip chutes.

Edited by Hotel26

The Duna Globetrotter made the 250km jaunt to the first anomaly. Crossing 3 new biomes on the way allowed Jeb to practice his backflip demount technique.

screenshot67

After an uneventful trip the crew finally reached the anomaly. Which lead to arguments about their future route being replaced with who it looked most like. Jeb claiming it reminded him most of his uncle Osric...

screenshot68

With the resemblage question sorted by Jeb playing the badass card they returned to the route question. Noting that their travels so far had only covered 0.3% of the surface the crew wanted to pick a route that covered all the known anomalies and all the biomes for the least distance travelled. It was decided to head Southeastish for the next anomaly, tick off a couple of biomes and re-evaluate. Informing Mission Control of this they received the encouraging response "don't worry, there no time limit on you". Little did they know this was because no-one had even started designing their return method yet.

29 minutes ago, FinalFan said:

Today I unlocked 3.75m rockets and built one that was over 100 tons heavier than my previous rocket, which was almost 100 tons heavier than my previous biggest rocket. 

Sounds like you might want to unlock Miniaturization next...  :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, papuchalk said:

<snip>

But i have issues with throttle. When i launch the Rover from spaceplane hangar, all steering works fine (throttle and brake). But when i start the same rover from VAB building as most of the rockets, when i press "forward" button, the rover starts turning on one place. Obsiously one wheel goes frontwards, the other one goes backwards. And theres nothing i can do with it with wheel control menu (right click). Any help? Ofcourse for the real mission i need to start the rover on rocket from VAB..

<snip>

It sounds like it controls from the wrong direction. Have something that has "Control from here" option (probes, command seats and docking ports) facing forward and select it as control point after launch. I have forward and backward facing docking port juniors to enable backwards driving with throttle control.

I built this thing which, as of now, has no name. Any ideas?

0F2IszH.png

It's a bit tough to get it off the ground, but as soon as it's airborne and properly trimmed it flies really well at all speeds (from 60m/s to 851m/s). There's only one slight problem: This craft has a tendency to start rolling for no apparent reason, but that's easy to correct.

Here it is after (a rough) landing. The fact that I landed successfully on the first attempt tells you more about the aircraft than my piloting skills.

TCdC9gD.png