What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Just installed OPM, so I'm looking forward to exploring new planets & moons.  The only down side is my current career had a Voyager-ish probe heading to Eeloo which I had to redirect to Jool for an extra ~400 m/s.   At least in this career, I didn't have probes going to all the Joolian moons yet, so the probe isn't wasted.  All my over-engineering has paid off, too.

Nothing today... but I’m currently working on my space station in LKO. Where do you guys think I should put my station’s orbit to enable easy and cheap rendezvous?

In case you wanted to know, my station is called the Space Station Eillorf Kerman, after an engineer who died :( in a plane crash.

@DunaRocketeer What version are you using? I’m seeing pre-1.0 turbojets on the DanDare’s booster.

Cool ships and missions though!!! :D

Edited by RealKerbal3x

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Nothing today... but I’m currently working on my space station in LKO. Where do you guys think I should put my station’s orbit to enable easy and cheap rendezvous?

In case you wanted to know, my station is called the Space Station Eillorf Kerman, after an engineer who died :( in a plane crash.

Aww rip

1 minute ago, jack gamer said:

Aww rip

That was in another save and in the same plane crash, I killed Val, Bill and Bob. But those three are alive in my main savegame so it would be weird naming it ‘Bob Kerman Station’ when he’s alive :sticktongue:

6 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I find that around 165km is a good altitude for a station - high enough that you can catch up to it quickly from below, but not so high that you're burning tons of propellant to get there.

Oh, and I use Ver1.00, which is stable and quick on my pc, so it still works for me for most playthroughs :)

Just now, DunaRocketeer said:

I find that around 165km is a good altitude for a station - high enough that you can catch up to it quickly from below, but not so high that you're burning tons of propellant to get there.

Oh, and I use Ver1.00, which is stable and quick on my pc, so it still works for me for most playthroughs :)

OK, thanks for the advice. I’m not particularly a KSP version history buff (I started in 1.3.1). I like keeping up with new versions though because new stuff!!!

19 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It makes launching to rendezvous really cheap. Makes it easy to de-orbit junkers. It also means you are going faster which makes leaving orbit to go to the Mun a little less expensive too.

3 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

It makes launching to rendezvous really cheap. Makes it easy to de-orbit junkers. It also means you are going faster which makes leaving orbit to go to the Mun a little less expensive too.

All good reasons. I often build mine a little higher (90-100) because it leaves more room underneath for a catch-up rendezvous lane. 

3 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

All good reasons. I often build mine a little higher (90-100) because it leaves more room underneath for a catch-up rendezvous lane. 

Direct from launch pad / runway to the station. Once you have figured out the timing from the map view it is loads of fun and cheaper. No transfer required.

25 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

What? Are you suggesting that the higher velocity at LKO makes reaching the Mun cheaper that starting at, say, an altitude of 150k? That seems to be the only way to understand your sentence and it is fundamentally wrong. it takes less dV to reach the Mun from 150K than it does from 80K. 

Technically yesterday, but I my landers to Eve arrived & well.....

Multi-career tested design, apparently came in a little too hot this time & burned off the heat shield, fuel tank, gear & landing engines.  But still, managed to put in on the ground with the science gear & 1 solar panel intact.  Until the next time I came to do a science contract & the last solar panel broke.

eqQMMSh.png?2

New design - basically a 2.5m bay + heat shields.  Except as I'm starting the deorbit burn, I realize I forgot something kinda important - parachutes.  Oh well, I've had these bays survive intact when they were just debris, hopefully this one will do ok.

5Rax0Dk.png?2

Probe core survives, everything else goes boom.

Sunday is always KSP Demo version day for me, and today - well yesterday now I suppose - was no exception.

Many months ago I set myself a mission, do a Soviet style landing on the Mun.  It didn't have to be an exact copy of what Moscow planned, this was in the demo after all, but something that would resemble it.

First things first, there was no way I was gonna squeeze thirty engines into the first stage, I did put in nineteen, but after that things just got silly.

Then came the BIG problem: the lander!  Unlike the Apollo lander, the Soviet vessel had only one engine for both landing and leaving the surface, and get back into Munar orbit.  I really bashed my head against a wall with this, I just couldn't suss out a way of staging the lander, leaving the descent section on the Mun while the ascent section flew off.  Believe it or not, but two months - albeit only on Sundays - were spent trying to solve this, but it really did seem such a system was impossible in KSP Demo.  And then I found a Youtube video: 

I really can't recommend this channel highly enough, some of the replicas this guy makes using totally stock parts is incredible!

Time for some industrial espionage; I downloaded his craft file, tore it apart in the VAB, and discovered its secrets...  And the rest is history!

aHSnQbR.pngThe "M1" just after lift off.v6bjLkM.pngGravity Turn.rTORWIU.pngStaging.AOwoxWz.pngIn LKO7vMlbqE.pngNext Stop: The Mun!HdUh8GA.pngIn Munar Orbit, EVA From The CM (Meteor) To The Lander (Meteorite).TBq3bHW.pngThe Deorbit Burn.HqGY5bT.pngFinal Approach.AcTOCm9.pngMeteorite Impacts The Munar Surface.rfc3Im5.pngMustn't Miss The Photo Opportunity!FsNkVeq.pngAnd... We're Outta Here!Y14UCGU.pngMunar Orbit Rendezvous.Errxnes.pngCrew Transfer Complete.hkumRzx.pngTrans Kerbin Injection.83V0pIY.pngPreparing For Reentry.14bVv1J.pngToastie!5dNqxYF.pngChute Deployment...KpxTQY2.png...And Touchdown!  The Desert Landing Was Appropriate But Pure Chance.eaNXo1j.pngWhat Remained On the Mun.

8 minutes ago, jack gamer said:

I saw a black thing on duna:0.0:8F00D35679FF6E001F4918D755B61BA718F8D8F7

I figure you might be able to relate to this:

POTT MANLEY IS BACK

Edited by Guest

Spent some time & funds getting ready to send ships off to the Outer Planets - lofted this monster comm sat into KEO.  I should lift two more to space around Kerbin, but that's not in the budget yet.  Plus it'll be 40-some years before the first probe reaches Plock.  Until then, it has drastically improved comms throught the solar system.  I'm using just the JX2 antenna mod without the OPM antenna improvement or improved tracking station.

t8NC8i3.png?2

Also launched a huge & kinda ridiculous Duna lander -

F9Fz0fZ.png?2

And finally got the Kerssini-Keyguns probe on its way to Laythe.  Probes Plus mod is amazing.

TLUGAJn.png?2

Edited by Cavscout74

7 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

KSP apparently forgot that gravity and drag exists.

They’re probably hiding from you, curled up in the corner muttering something about “finding a happy place.”

7 hours ago, MR L A said:

What? Are you suggesting that the higher velocity at LKO makes reaching the Mun cheaper that starting at, say, an altitude of 150k? That seems to be the only way to understand your sentence and it is fundamentally wrong. it takes less dV to reach the Mun from 150K than it does from 80K. 

Don’t forget the extra delta-V you need to get to 150k in the first place. :wink:

7 hours ago, MR L A said:

Something something oberth effect. Also, have to concur with @CatastrophicFailure - You're burning fuel on the way up to 150k that could be used to push the apoapsis farther from 80k.

IMO would start at a lower altitude.