What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@papuchalk  I've seen that happen before.  Was the rover physically attached inside the cargo bay at launch?  It probably was which makes it part of the vessel.  However, when you put it back inside the service bay it wasn't attached to anything which means it was now a separate vessel.

I kinda of thought they had fixed that, for cargo bays at least, so that it auto-strutted stuff inside the bay.  I could be wrong though.

I generally use KIS to attach it to something inside using a pipe, or you could use a docking port.  Once it is part of the lander again that shouldn't happen.

4 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Whole operation took, like, 5 hours.  I dunno what takes NASA so long to do stuff.

I presume a large part of it is because they haven't discovered the time warp process.  Or they have, which is why the NASA/SpaceX/Boeing/etc. ground engineers never seem to look bored after their probe has been on the way to Mars for nine months.  We don't notice because time warp only speeds up time for the "player", not for the world...

21 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

I presume a large part of it is because they haven't discovered the time warp process.  Or they have, which is why the NASA/SpaceX/Boeing/etc. ground engineers never seem to look bored after their probe has been on the way to Mars for nine months.  We don't notice because time warp only speeds up time for the "player", not for the world...

5 hours in game time...

Last night, while waiting for my Duna flyby crew to reach their next burn (60-something m/s down inside the orbit of Eve to set up a Kerbin encounter, and I'll need at least one more correction later to get closer than 5,000 km -- and they're close to bingo fuel, so I have to make that correction still a fair way out)...

I had a contract that was going to expire before the next burn, so I decided I'd best take care of it.  Hmmm.  "Haul a Mk. 16 parachute into flight, between 1,000 and 3,000 m altitude, between 100 m/s and 270 m/s."  Well, that looks like I just need to mount it on one of my regular orbital launches, they all hit that parameter set.  Only problem is, a Mk. 16 fits a 0.625 node, and a Mk. 1-3 Command Pod has a 1.25 node on its nose.

Oh, wait -- I've got all these new parts from Making History!  There's a tiny "service module" that brings the Mk. 1-3 nose down to a size to fit a Clamp-o-Tron Jr -- or a Mk. 16 parachute.  I mounted that service module to the nose-mounted Science Jr. on my Explorer Vpl (Roman Numeral 5, Passenger, Lander), which is a Mun lander from a couple spacecraft generations back (before the first Minmus mission, anyway), modified by deletion of the redundant controls (can't have "what does this button do?" sending your spacecraft out of Kerbin's SOI).  I had a pair of tourists who wanted to land on the Mun, so I grabbed a pilot who hadn't planted a flag there yet (Tridin, a rescue from Munar orbit, as I recall), and away they went.  With an additional transfer stage (rather than being expected to get to the Mun or Minmus on the lander's own fuel, as well as land, launch, and return), it was a trivial mission; the transfer stage was able to perform the Munar deorbit burn, leaving Tridin with full tanks for the actual landing and return.

Landing was smooth and uneventful; Tridin managed to kill her velocity well enough to get a near-vertical final descent and was able to land with about 30% fuel still in the drop tanks; the core tank untouched.  All the science was collected, including scans with the new Surface Scanner instrument; Tridin went EVA to collect a surface sample and plant a flag, reported her experience, then reentered the command pod.  Launch from the Mun was trivial as well -- a short burn to give working time, turn over for an eastward boost, then burn (with a little pitch up after a bit to ensure terrain clearance).  Once Ap reached 18 km, she shut down, then burned again at apoapsis to circularize.  After a wait, she burned for Kerbin, corrected to ensure a prograde reentry, discarded her return module with more than 1000 units of Lf/O remaining (can't really bring it back, can you?), and hunkered down for reentry.  Nothing exploded (except the discarded module), and the routine splashdown was within 200 km of the Space Center, despite "take what you can get" on a Munar return.  A science haul of about 430, a nice payout from tourists and the test contract -- and the Duna flyby crew is still 180+ days from their Kerbin intercept burn.

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

5 hours in game time...

Right, vs. the multiple days or weeks (not even counting time to construct the birds and mate them to their launcher) that it would take for NASA to launch that series of relays.  Edit: Whoa, you mean five hours on the mission clock?!  Well, Kerbin is a lot smaller than Earth...

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

Testing my first ever prop-plane in the thick fogs of Eve. considering this thing only goes 30 m/s, I think it's safe to say I won't make it home for supper.

EUZItQQ.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to actually post a picture, I guess I just expected people to use their imaginations.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

I'm all VTOL at the moment.  :)

The magnificent Tern by Brikoleur:

GtOw809.png

I placed a Vert-control Octo2 inside the forward service bay to assist with the hover.  The Tern has surprisingly good range and top speed.

Edited by Hotel26

i tried:/ 

I mean

Guess the aircraft again?

4B5pmml.png

(its supposed to be a XXXXXX btw)

I'm developing this habit of using small elevons to make more accurate shapes, only on mostly replicas though...hopefully it won't backfire on me.  :P I also told myself I have to build a craft each time I open the game up, and to yknow, try. All it really needs is some ladder, flaps, and props. Could smoothen out the fuselage with wings... Why I did this during the closing weeks of school who knows. Hopefully next time I post here it'll be space related. :blush:

Today this week most of the month off and on, I've been flarping about in 1.4 (exploding landing legs?! For real, guys?!), since I decided to make a video for my 1.2.2 save which is, of course, kicking my S and numbing my eyes his eyes! So anyways, as is the fashion lately, I made a Soyuz clone with the new not-at-all-new parts:

9OnkCFk.png

All in stock. Or at least, as stock as I ever play. mod creep, yo.

Never get tired of seeing this: :cool:

EUAyx0Q.png

I used my Soyuz clone to send an Apollo-style stack toward the Mün, of course.

gzFro2T.png

Soyuz-clone stronk, like bool! We do not need decadent Saturn V-clone like bourgeois yankee foreigner for to go Mün!

So, yeah, after burning nearly every bit of fuel left to brake into Münar orbit, Val and some tag-a-long are now hopelessly stranded. I may have miscalculated the delta-V available...
I'm lying. I never calculated anything, I just guessed.
I didn't even guess. I just hit space and went with it.

SQs5cgv.png

You see, Ivan, when not use calculator and get important Kerbonaut stranded in deep space, is... er... um...

Hide, I hear Kommissar come...
Hide harder. That's better.

9 hours ago, Skystorm said:

@papuchalk  I've seen that happen before.  Was the rover physically attached inside the cargo bay at launch?  It probably was which makes it part of the vessel.  However, when you put it back inside the service bay it wasn't attached to anything which means it was now a separate vessel.

I kinda of thought they had fixed that, for cargo bays at least, so that it auto-strutted stuff inside the bay.  I could be wrong though.

I generally use KIS to attach it to something inside using a pipe, or you could use a docking port.  Once it is part of the lander again that shouldn't happen.

ye i know what you mean. on start it was attached with decoupler. inside the lander. But on the way back, i couldnt attach the rover to ship. Docking port is too obstructive and couldnt be used on Rover. I just had to close the door and thats it :/

Edited by papuchalk

I launched scanner probes, the CubeSat-alike "BuffScan" series (containing nuclear reactors) from the Loki base....and had to HyperEdit the EnrichedUranium back into the base's main reactor because EL took it all from there and not from he Hacienda IMF that's producing it. And I can't transfer it around because that's how the resource is.

pSVBPQ3.png

CBEv1oT.png J9z8rF8.png

I also designed but haven't yet launched a probe control point craft. This is going to take both pilots and maybe a scientist from the base, to Catullus and lead the scanner probes in. Details and more pics are here:

JoynboT.jpg

4 hours ago, Spacetraindriver said:

i tried:/ 

I mean

Guess the aircraft again?

4B5pmml.png

(its supposed to be a XXXXXX btw)

I'm developing this habit of using small elevons to make more accurate shapes, only on mostly replicas though...hopefully it won't backfire on me.  :P I also told myself I have to build a craft each time I open the game up, and to yknow, try. All it really needs is some ladder, flaps, and props. Could smoothen out the fuselage with wings... Why I did this during the closing weeks of school who knows. Hopefully next time I post here it'll be space related. :blush:

must be Constellation ??

Constellation-53-7885-4.jpg

Working on a prototype for flexible docking of ground vehicles (fuel trucks and crew buses) with various shapes and sizes of aircraft, especially the midget Mk-1 type.

I figured there's always plenty of clean space on the tops of airplanes.

Edited by Hotel26

So I've already built the turboprop that my Boeing Pelican is going to use. Ultimately 4 of these are going to power the ekranoplan.

utGAt2S.jpg

Just for kicks I decided to compare that turboprop with the little propeller biplane I built the other day. And... well

4yxh5cq.jpg

It really puts things into perspective.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace