What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4 minutes ago, Triop said:

It cost me 3 or 4 kerbals so far, I lost count...

You are a jinx...

It became a catastrophic failure...Dunely dieded.

<snip>

I made a steering mistake and the car flipped....So close, but there is hope:

<snip>

I'll admit I've probably missed some of the stuff on this as I've been away studying for exams, and I feel like you said something about this before, but would it have not been safer, faster, easier, and less expensive in the end to have made VTOL? Or even just an airplane with a whole bunch of parachutes for landing?

After having watched a video of an SSTO design with Junos, having built and flew it myself but having come 555 m/s short of orbit, I ran a little experiment to see what kind of an SSTO I can whip up from Wheezleys and tech-equivalent parts.

It... kinda got out of hand. As in, I ended up with a 65 ton monster with six Wheezleys and a Skipper. And ~2100 m/s worth of rocket fuel with a minimal amount of jet fuel.

Only managed to run a single test flight and it ended with the entire craft except the cockpit getting demolished due to asymmetric flameouts on the Wheezleys. Several other test flights ended with tailstrikes due to the extremely short landing gear.

Finally decided to add a secondary winglet near the bottom and attached the rear landing gear to that (or to be more exact, all 12 rear landing gears). Except before I even fired up any engine, the plane started rhythmically hopping on its rear landing gears. I wasn't touching anything and it was just hopping back and forth between port and starboard until the plane was about 30° off-course, at which point I decided to revert and add a seventh pair of rear landing gear, figuring the existing ones were just getting overloaded and glitching out.

Except the game crashed to desktop with an access violation during the revert, exactly at midnight. I'm not sure if I should bother doing anything with the crash report because based on prior reactions elsewhere, I'd just get shooed away for presuming to ask for technical help when I'm the one who's running the game on a subpar rig.

Edited by Fraktal

2 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I'll admit I've probably missed some of the stuff on this as I've been away studying for exams, and I feel like you said something about this before, but would it have not been safer, faster, easier, and less expensive in the end to have made VTOL? Or even just an airplane with a whole bunch of parachutes for landing? 

The thing is (I play without mods) I can't see the exact landing spots and besides, the contract I finished was on a steep mountain so yo still have to "drive" your plane on 45 degrees slopes.

I could add parachutes to my buggy and drop it, maybe I'll try that, but for now I'm having to much fun driving up this damned mountain that I love to hate. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Triop said:

I'm not done yet, I want to reach the top AND I still have that extra contract . . .

By any chance is this a contract to throw a ring into a smoking caldera at the top of it?

2 hours ago, Triop said:

It became a catastrophic failure...Dunely dieded.

One does not simply drive into Mordor.

With their successful exploration of all the biomes on Minmus, Valentina, Bobus, and Payin return home to Minmus Base with loads of science:

rlspwMk.png

Val had Payin take two sets of experiments: one for processing in the science lab, and another to return to Kerbin with. With their primary objectives complete, Minmus Expedition 1 was ready to return home. Two weeks later, Minmus Expedition 2 arrived:

fprK7at.png

It carried two 3-kerbal flight crews to further develop Minmus into an ISRU mining station. Once ISRU is researched and established, KSC intends to experiment with offworld vessel construction to launch vessels from Minmus- essentially an extraplanetary launchpad...

Val has a series of meetings with Kerman Navy Captain James T. Kerman (Minmus Expedition 2's commander) and Marcina Kerman (second in command):

5LRaX1X.png

After transferring command, Captain James drove Val and her team to Kapollo 5:

ROC2TCx.png

Bobus awoke the ship from its slumber, and they launched for orbit:

RLanLMf.png

... where they docked at Minmus Station to retrieve their orbital module for the trip home- and to perform some much needed maintenance:

SN6RGf5.png

With that task complete, Val remotely undocked their new Nuclear Tug for the trip home:

FwNstzo.png

... and then undocked with their orbital module. After docking to the tug, they burned for low Kerbin orbit. In approximately 8 days, they'll be back home with a shipload of science!

Edited by Angel-125

I put my first space station in orbit of the Mun. 31 tons, supporting a science lab and 13 Kerbals (not yet present). I learned why inline stabilizers are useful after trying to use limited RCS to orient that beast for docking a fuel ship to it so it could make the rest of the journey.

Still needed to use some additional monopropellant too sadly to get into orbit, thus going below the necessary amount needed to complete a contract. Oh well. I've already docked twice to fuel this behemoth to the Mun, now I can send a small ship to fill up it's propellant and complete the thing.

Installed and tested KER. And by tested, I mean built an SSTO that (totally purposefully) also had enough dV to fly by Minmus.

Spoiler

EE3D5322C79A3DCDBB5DFF0127D0BC36B9F67AFD1,500 m/s of dV left? Let’s pass by Minmus.

DEE41FBB9D6E099120E3AC697FF73938C1E86F7B500 m/s left. I probably could’ve gone by the Mun too, but I was running out of KSP time for today.

8E79CEC340F5EE91C680C9F4D4A3BB541D28B1BDA successful splashdown. Looks like the mk. 1-3 pod is pretty buoyant considering how only the bottom surface is touching the water.

Edited by Airdude
Images fixed

Going full Frodo on Mount Doom.

q8UiOVm.png

I've got a new waypoint on my contract.

I'll never get rid of this mountain... :/

EDIT: This time I lost my front solar panels but the retrectable ones are still working.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

rPyA8HI.png

YfwGRTj.png

Edited by Triop

While Lizchel and Dicie began digging into the research provided by the Minmus Expedition 1 (MEX 1), the rest of the team got to work printing up new base components to support ISRU and extraplanetary launchpads. Jane, a raw recruit and technically still an astronaut candidate (the paperwork hadn't caught up yet), installed the new components with the help of Stelissa, the expedition's other engineer.

1LbrDWK.png

Jane was a last-minute addition to James' flight crew when Keridien died during a freak training accident. Captain James is technically also a rookie astronaut, but he's also secretly one of the true Original Four astronauts. James would've been one of the first astronauts in space were it not for the Mk1-1 fire that killed three astronauts- a memorial sits outside of the VAB as a reminder that safety and attention to detail is important. KSC recovered of course, hired Bill, Bob, Jeb, and Val as the official Original Four, and the rest is history. Today, James is officially listed as one of the candidates that wasn't selected selected as part of the original cadre of astronauts. But commanding Minmus Station is proof that productive persistence  pays off! And when asked by a reporter if he had any advice to young aspiring kerbals, he said, "Number one decide what it is you really want to do, and then second, never give up until you've done it." *

Enough ruminating though, there was work to be done! With the successful test of the Minmus Hopper's recycler arm completed, Jim had Marnica remotely pilot the two MonoPropellant Landers over to Minmus Base for disassembly.

8VFci5R.png

The landers worked out so well for MEX 1, KSC is considering creating resource cache landers for future exploration missions. Anyway, Jane put that new recycler arm to work as well:

YMvztts.png

With the base expanded and landers recycled, it was time to try making a rocket of their own- all they had to do was make something that could reach Kerbin and deliver the lode of Gemstones that MEX 1 found at the monolith.

* Said by Deke Slayton during the Apollo Soyuz Test Project

Edited by Angel-125