What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

3 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Theres too much metal

matter of taste!,but the best the didnt kill my FPS as some other graphic (cosmetic)mods

I can everyone recommend this: Texture Unlimited +Electrocuters.cfg(no frameratehitalmost no,unbeliveable isnt it?)

Edited by Burning Kan
1%

38 minutes ago, Delay said:

I doubt that, for some reason. (Real time?) reflections alone must take away some frames.

You are correct -- there is 'some' performance impact.  However, it has specifically been designed to be as absolutely lightweight as possible, and the impact ranges from 'unnoticeable' to 'might as well be zero' on anything close to recent hardware.  Its not 'real-time' reflections either, but each update to the environment reflection map is amortized over something like 80 frames (~1-3 seconds; configurable).

(the real impact is ~1% loss of FPS from the tests that I did.  I dropped from ~215 FPS to ~212 FPS with reflections enabled; obviously the results will vary depending on hardware)

"I believe that this space program should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this Munth is out, of landing a kerbal (and/or pony) on the Mun* and returning him (or her or it; maybe even them) safely to Kerbin." misquote of course, of part of original speech "Well, safely may be overstating things of course..."

Oooh, it's been a while.  I've been playing fairly steadily, but instead of wrestling with Imgur I've been going to bed instead. I've been having fun...  

VhoZ6cw.png

So has everyone else, it seems...

Spoiler

HhqXfTn.png

5VDoMFY.png

k0ThNh1.png

akrAfJn.png

fresh Imgur album

By the way, like the documentation says if you bother to read it, USI's Konstruction ports don't actually work with normal docking ports. I'm glad I didn't spend two hours getting frustrated over this because I didn't read the instructions! I spent two hours getting frustrated because I didn't remember reading this part of the instructions two or three months ago. *sigh*

Today I spent all my gaming time working on station part #3, and testing it in KRASH, which why don't I do this every time? Because I am an idiot.

Station Part #1:

Spoiler

9jWm9yS.png

Oh, and I think I broke up a union recruitment meeting.

DuJKzc3.png

And there's some kind of stupid 80's joke about lepers and hockey

uyEKEHH.png

about a face off in the corner.:D

The "plan" for the next play-time is to rearrange the orbital station properly, before sending up any more pieces. This might even happen! Cross your tentacles fingers!

Edited by InterplanetJanet
* In a cardboard box, naturally

20 minutes ago, Burning Kan said:

what the heck, on a 24 qbit quantum computer from the future?iam happy with  ~35FPS in flightmode with a geforce 940mx on a i5 7th gen laptop

Modern'ish desktop, with a simple low-part craft using SSTU parts, with no other visual mods.  It was simply a test of the reflection subsystem performance impact, which will be mostly constant (should not vary with part count or polygon count).  Certainly I don't get that high of an FPS with more complex craft, nor with Scat/Eve in the equation. 

The real tricks to TU's very small performance hit for reflections is that it uses a single environment map per vessel (rather than per-part, or more), and the low frequency of the environment map updates.

(btw, I have a laptop with very similar specs... and get about the same as you; it struggles very hard on more complex craft... never got around to actually testing TU on it)

Sorry to drag things a bit off topic; if anyone has further questions about TexturesUnlimited, please bring them to the mod's thread ( https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/167450-142-textures-unlimited-pbr-shader-texture-and-model-api/ ).

Started a new 1.4.3 hard career and except for being modded, I've been playing it caveman-style so far.   It's quite amazing what you can accomplish with just 18 tons & 30 parts.  I've already gotten fly-by, orbit & landing on Mun contracts, plus put a comm relay in Mun orbit.  Next up - Minmus.  I have no clue how I'm going to eye-ball that rendezvous.  Also up to almost half the 90-point science nodes unlocked.  Haven't gotten much in the way of good screenshots though.

Today I learned a valuable lesson about heavy, lopsided ships whose engines lack gimbal and which want to do a long burn at full throttle but don't have enough reaction wheel authority to fly straight. 

Fortunately, the "ship" was a miner/refiner pushing a station so, instead of doing something responsible like suck it up and do a longer burn or split it into two maneuvers, I just abused my vast reserves of RCS

39 minutes ago, jack gamer said:

I love her expression in that picture!

This is by far the most ugly helicopter ever conceived. It's also 107m long. And look at the mass ... must be a new record.

qKftT11.png

And this is just an early prototype based on some goofballery I've done last year. I've learned ways to improve the engine. I suspect eventually it will be able to lift 4500t, if physics permit.

That cartoon style Squad loves so much can leave with the next train.

This ... is the result of the Textures Unlimited mod with the stock parts config.

AnO7rGV.png

h8uvvkU.png

C7pPVLC.png

bDsaBUM.png

And I really need to give this bird a new engine, it's almost two years old ... ancient tech.

Played around with @hazard-ish's paramotor. Kerbals being able to deploy the chute in the seat is great!!!

However, since 1.4 I've been having weird textures on the 2.5m monoprop tank.

bSvGtsi.pngIt might be firespitter, I'm not sure. Anyway, the next time I play I plan to send the 2nd module to my space station.

Also, @Azimech That looks AMAZING! Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to make my game look that good without getting 2 FPS. :(

Edited by RealKerbal3x

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

That cartoon style Squad loves so much can leave with the next train.

This ... is the result of the Textures Unlimited mod with the stock parts config.

AnO7rGV.png

h8uvvkU.png

C7pPVLC.png

bDsaBUM.png

And I really need to give this bird a new engine, it's almost two years old ... ancient tech.

I wish I could see the pictures, but I can't, cause my computer sucks, its a thinkpad, it is really bad, don't get a Yoga 11e, they suck, and yes Lenovo, I am talking crap about you.

I lost a Kerbal last night, on a very routine mission.

I'm a veteran player. I've had the game since 2013, and pick it up again every year or so. Mun landings are routine for me. However, I was tired last night, I was trying a new ship design, and I made a number of mistakes such that I might have saved her if I'd acted differently. 

The plan was to send a single-seat lander to the Mun to biome-hop and do science. I had parked a fuel tanker with a science storage pod in orbit to refuel the lander and hold the science results. I was trying to be minimalist with the lander to maximize the number of trips I could make, but with the amount of science equipment I put in there, it wound up being a little heavy, and with a narrower lander base than I normally use. So, of course, on the very first landing of the mission, I tipped the lander over. After kicking myself for my bad piloting, I went about trying to right the lander, and that's when I made my first very stupid mistake: I forgot that I had packed RCS thrusters.

See, I almost never put RCS on my early-game Mun landers, and I never ever use them to land. So, after initially trying to flip the lander over using reaction wheels and landing gear, I skipped the RCS and attempted to use small bursts of thrust from the main engine to flip. This, of course, led to me sliding up a hill a little too fast, and blowing up both my engine and main fuel tank. The lander was a loss at this point, so I figured I would just have to send the replacement lander to pick up my kerbalnaut, when I realized that the crash had destroyed all of my solar panels, leaving her with 2 hours of electricity to run life support. (TAC-LS). This meant that I didn't have enough time to wait for a rescue, (although in retrospect, the 2 hours in the pod plus 6 hours of suit life support plus the 2 hours it takes to die without electricity might have been long enough for a rescue with an aggressive ballistic transfer.)

There was one small hope, however: I still had the RCS thrusters on the lander pod, I had left a very basic space station with lots of life support (and some maneuvering fuel) in Mun orbit for just this eventuality, and it was going to pass over the landing site in 5 minutes. I turned on the landing pod RCS and lifted the stricken pod into the air, but it ran out of monoprop much faster than I was expecting. That left only one last desperate thing to do: bail out and use the jetpack. I was able to get the her apoapsis up to the height of the emergency space station, but I ran out of fuel just 70 m/s shy of circularizing her orbit. At that point, there was nothing I could do.

My ill-fated kerbalnaut had about 10 minutes to contemplate her life before she slammed into the side of a hill at 450 m/s. I occasionally lose kerbals, (and sometimes I revert if the loss was especially cheap,) but because there were a number of design tweaks or different actions that might have saved her, and because she was so close to escaping death, this one hurt. 

RIP, Beaus Kerman. That mountain is yours now.

Edited by Blue_J

42 minutes ago, Blue_J said:

<SNIP>

My ill-fated kerbalnaut had about 10 minutes to contemplate her life before she slammed into the side of a hill at 450 m/s. I occasionally lose kerbals, (and sometimes I revert if the loss was especially cheap,) but because there were a number of design tweaks or different actions that might have saved her, and because she was so close to escaping death, this one hurt. 

Very sorry for your loss...flags are flying at half mast at my KSC.

58 minutes ago, Blue_J said:

I'm a veteran player. I've had the game since 2013, and pick it up again every year or so. Mun landings are routine for me. However, I was tired last night, I was trying a new ship design, and I made a number of mistakes such that I might have saved her if I'd acted differently. 

The plan was to send a single-seat lander to the Mun to biome-hop and do science. I had parked a fuel tanker with a science storage pod in orbit to refuel the lander and hold the science results. I was trying to be minimalist with the lander to maximize the number of trips I could make, but with the amount of science equipment I put in there, it wound up being a little heavy, and with a narrower lander base than I normally use. So, of course, on the very first landing of the mission, I tipped the lander over. After kicking myself for my bad piloting, I went about trying to right the lander, and that's when I made my first very stupid mistake: I forgot that I had packed RCS thrusters.

See, I almost never put RCS on my early-game Mun landers, and I never ever use them to land. So, after initially trying to flip the lander over using reaction wheels and landing gear, I skipped the RCS and attempted to use small bursts of thrust from the main engine to flip. This, of course, led to me sliding up a hill a little too fast, and blowing up both my engine and main fuel tank. The lander was a loss at this point, so I figured I would just have to send the replacement lander to pick up my kerbalnaut, when I realized that the crash had destroyed all of my solar panels, leaving her with 2 hours of electricity to run life support. (TAC-LS). This meant that I didn't have enough time to wait for a rescue, (although in retrospect, the 2 hours in the pod plus 6 hours of suit life support plus the 2 hours it takes to die without electricity might have been long enough for a rescue with an aggressive ballistic transfer.)

There was one small hope, however: I still had the RCS thrusters on the lander pod, I had left a very basic space station with lots of life support (and some maneuvering fuel) in Mun orbit for just this eventuality, and it was going to pass over the landing site in 5 minutes. I turned on the landing pod RCS and lifted the stricken pod into the air, but it ran out of monoprop much faster than I was expecting. That left only one last desperate thing to do: bail out and use the jetpack. I was able to get the her apoapsis up to the height of the emergency space station, but I ran out of fuel just 70 m/s shy of circularizing her orbit. At that point, there was nothing I could do.

:(;.;

My space station is named after Eillorf Kerman, an engineer who died in a plane crash. She did some sterling work, including testing the Kerbal Inventory System when I first downloaded the mod. I’ve never lost a Kerbal in space though (oh dear, I’ve probably jinxed it now)

I completed my ‘explore Kerbin’ contract today. I had to rendezvous two vessels in Kerbin orbit. It said they had to be in viewing distance, but it turns out that you can just get them within 1 km and it completes. I wanted to get a little closer though so I got to 500 m away.

When it was time to go home, I attempted to get the two capsules close to each other on the ground but totally failed. That was basically all I did. :)