What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've come back to KSP after almost a year (been busy w/ school). There's so much cool new stuff! Played a bunch with the making history features and started a new career save.

RzlvoZw.jpg

Like riding a bike. :cool:

Edited by xub313

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Gundammmmmmmm!    : o <3 

But which one? Which series?

It's Siren from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
jU6EHPb.png
o90l6Zg.pngLSuFlkG.png
YUUYR8t.png4K9lNcK.png IUQTVSW.pngInYZZMd.pnggxWJ4lp.pngrLQx5By.png7bnhIS1.pngAPVmX4t.pngsG2wSi4.png
BuC59zy.png

From the game usually it stays in space and fires orbital strikes as one of the playable character's ultimates
The rails are a massive particle cannon 

Edited by Colonel Cbplayer

I've been messing with the broken Joystick/Gamepad support of 1.4.x on Linux again.

After I installed the latest round of updates for my distribution, Advanced Fly-By-Wire broke again for me, as the version of libSDL2 was updated from 2.0.4 to 2.0.8. Anyhow, I spent the last three hours finding out why that causes breakage, and finally found a solution (Edit 5 of linked post). Now that I finally can play KSP with my gamepad again, I'm too tired to do so. Well, tomorrow is another day ;).

IN SEARCH OF LIFE FORMS

Have been playing KSP from 0.18, this is the most mod-able game ever. But has anyone found other life forms??

Spanner has some nice birds and fish in static form and I made a Blue whale model some time back.

But never met the Kracken and have had many ships torn apart by it. 

It would be nice If the KSP group would give us a few fish in the sea and an alien or two to hunt.

Edited by Wrench Head

I made an advanced radiator that consumes water, not EC, and then ablates it for very effective heat control and fast heat loss in space...and in atmosphere. It gives native purpose to the Water tank options in Deep sky Core/Thor Tech (this radiator is why those options are there) and is a decent, innovative mid-game solution that unlocks before Shieldnir and can be attached anywhere on a craft.

It will be a great help in keeping engines, power sources and small vital parts cool without needing a lot of headroom, provided there's plenty water to spare or water can be quickly replenished, but its tradeoffs are the limit to the water supply, its high dry mass and potential to produce a good share of drag.

ChW8xIs.jpg

I've always wanted to make an aircraft in the style of the Stipa-Caproni, and given my recent interest in turboprops, today I decided to make a big'un. This WIP currently has a single large turboprop that produces a massive 1850 kN of thrust, the engine is powered by a mere 4 Wheesleys, which together only produce 480 kN of thrust. The turboprop has a specific impulse of nearly 40500, making it over three times as efficient as a goliath. Theoretically once this craft is finished it could have unprecedented range.

BHqqf3c.jpg

uk7DOqQ.jpg

KP08HOj.jpg

Had my first intentional Mun arch visit this morning, then got my first manned mission to Minmus launched.  While they are in transmit, I spent most of my time catching up missions from the Historical Mission pack now that I updated Contract Configurator.  Since the beginning ones are all "flying" or "sub-orbital" I just slapped together a simple, cheap solid rocket with fins & probe core & fired it off a bunch of times, but now I'm up to "launch a SM-65A Atlas" & I think I'm going to try my hand at building an Atlas-ish launcher. 

Update:  So much for the Atlas contract - launched something else not thinking about it, & it completed the parameters for the Atlas contract instead of me actually building an Atlas & launching

Mun arch flag-planting:

mcwWWcV.png?2

Titan MPV headed for Minmus to rendezvous with the lander:

YuLalTr.png?2

Edited by Cavscout74

24 minutes ago, Partperpart said:

Today I step foot on Eve for the first time erm, I mean Jebadiah did.

You mean today Jebadiah took an extended vacation on Eve with little to no hope of returning back to "work."

Based on the Asura I decided to build two helicopters with the new engine, Asura III. It retains the full length casing of the Asura I instead of the half length casing of the Asura II. Much easier to balance at the expense of drag, incredibly sturdy yet very low friction.
These are traditional helicopters based on old tech with the looks of the 1970's. Competitors have made more advanced helicopters. Yet these two can hold their own at durability, range and control.

They're meant to replace the aging Azi15 Archon II and are pretty successful in doing so. The Azi15's top speed was 75m/s. The Azi50LE tops at 82m/s and the Azi50HX at 105m/s. The difference in range is more interesting: Archon II has a max range of 173km. The Azi50LE does 290km and the Azi50HX 350km.

The Azi50LE:

i7x0PEr.png

The Azi50HX:

jJ1JiVr.png

Edited by Azimech

I made this little STOL Paraglider thing.

7tl0IGj.png

It was meant to be a supercruise capable aircraft, but unfortunately it still wasn't FAST enough.

So I strapped a whiplash to it and this happened. 

yskpiyy.png

3 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

I decided to make a big'un.

That is very big indeed. I'm sorta worried it still won't be enough power, given the fuel tanks all around the side. Could be wrong though.

4 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

I've always wanted to make an aircraft in the style of the Stipa-Caproni, and given my recent interest in turboprops, today I decided to make a big'un. This WIP currently has a single large turboprop that produces a massive 1850 kN of thrust, the engine is powered by a mere 4 Wheesleys, which together only produce 480 kN of thrust. The turboprop has a specific impulse of nearly 40500, making it over three times as efficient as a goliath. Theoretically once this craft is finished it could have unprecedented range.

BHqqf3c.jpg

uk7DOqQ.jpg

KP08HOj.jpg

:o

Incredibly beautiful and impressive!

Just remember: a huge static thrust number does not automatically result in a high top speed or even usable cruise speed. Mass and drag, together with the 50 rad/s limit, will always be the limiting factors. Tuning the blade pitch during forward motion will be incredibly important. And you will probably discover 4 Wheesley's isn't going to be enough.

21 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Mass and drag, together with the 50 rad/s limit, will always be the limiting factors. Tuning the blade pitch during forward motion will be incredibly important. And you will probably discover 4 Wheesley's isn't going to be enough.

I have taken into account many of the problems you stated. The craft is actually decently aerodynamic and the blades are at their current settings for testing purposes. I do suspect it will need more Wheesleys as it takes a few moments to get up to speed after the Wheesleys reach their Maximum thrust. As for mass the craft is currently only 400 tons and now has two of these turboprops, I'll probably be able to finish it up tommorow, we'll just have to see how well it turns out!

47 minutes ago, qzgy said:

That is very big indeed. I'm sorta worried it still won't be enough power, given the fuel tanks all around the side. Could be wrong though.

It's true, even empty those fuel tanks are pretty darn heavy. Cargo bays are actually quite a bit lighter, but they don't look nearly as smooth. However as I stated before the craft is currently doing fine for thrust, it has a thrust to weight of ~.9 currently, although in practice that will be lower.

5 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

[...] today I decided to make a big'un.

:o As opposed to your usual puny efforts? *swoons from sarcasm overload*

Though I once took a photo/screenshot of a baby Kraken,

Spoiler

fYzcWtM.jpg

I never really encountered the full-grown kind until today. (note: craft doing the Kraken Shuffle should be timewarped momentarily, not welded together)

dzZ8NFa.jpg

but I did have a quicksave a 'few' minutes before.  I made three during the second iteration of the docking attempt... but of course, with a less acute docking angle, and a moment's timewarp, it didn't explode (thus making the saves superfluous - which is why one makes them; saves & backups are always either superfluous or nonexistent-and-desperately-needed).

HKnOXZL.jpg

Yep, another one of my harmonious and elegant creations...

And, due to the gibbering-insanity-why-don't-they-call-this-a-major-bug random camera re-angle, I got this from the VWMicrobus IVA:

T3XX1eD.jpg

Also, I found out that I should really do some more testing with Airpark and Anchors before considering them safe for kerbal use. Accelerating the envelope by 100m/s per application of the Park 'brake' is rather counterintuitive....

Edited by InterplanetJanet

Today I sent a manned rover to Minnie Minmus for a 50 day mission, complete with a nearly full science kit and Surface experiment pack parts. 

All was well and good but...

Guess who forgot to pack the actual plugs for the experiments?

Edited by Mark Kerbin

3 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

I had to overclock kOS for this to work properly... Blades flutter a bit when applying full pitch/roll... And still needs reaction wheels for yaw control...
But it's fun to fly even with those problems... :P

Yaw control ... you could use my AHRCS for that :-)
https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-Azi31-Rhea-v20

Yesterday was Duna day for me !

I placed two probes in orbit of Duna and Ike and land three rovers on Duna.

The main probe in orbit of Duna is quite big with 36t at launch and 19m long, the main dish for intelligence search is 52m in diameter.

y4mYWloyLIz49CtLm9l1l_C3NgjeQR9MkEt8Sl8uy4mI4tp8HhB6-a5-zeTuZpNsSkXbIkbADoyDAg9k

y4myJNNLqx8B3EiQP2SDJgdokOD21O70iWZEw9l_y4mfrtbRp0KNMCqguCtGKPIZ5rqaKg2RtGLVBlXK

y4mVWB_HIor5HuOfpQ70svmGDxsNXrvR-AXcsS_M

The last rover had some difficulties at Duna south pole while it was trying to reach a point with some sun exposure.

Now I must think about putting a kerbonaut on Duna.