What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Just now, Triop said:

You call that boring ? :lol:

The two rescues were in nearly identical orbits - if they'd been any closer, I could've just RCS'd to the second one.  But they were just standard LKO rescue contracts - no fancy new vessels involved, no unusual orbits.  I stuck with a single landing on the Mun training flight, so I didn't strand them again & require another rescue. 

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

Onm14GG.jpg

For a split second there, thought the KSC was some awesome, ginormous space station in orbit...<_<

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

Atlas-Surveyor liftoff:

Le7LgFX.png?2

Interesting... so you’ve got the center engine firing thru that decoupler? That actually works?

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Interesting... so you’ve got the center engine firing thru that decoupler? That actually works?

Surprisingly, yes.  Used Skiffs for boosters, radially attached to the decoupler then shifted up where they look right & a cheetah + 2 cubs for sustainer & verniers.  Judging when to stage the booster section is kind of a judgement call depending on the payload mass.  So far, I've managed not to go below 1g when staging.

For an encore, I got my first orbiter around Moho in this career, along with putting a Surveyor lander safely on the surface.  Then a just a few days later, my first Duna Verona probe arrived, dropping a Formalhauf lander before entering orbit around Ike.  All probes & landers courtesy of Probes Plus mod

Quetzel-ER in Moho orbit:

vI2FSQC.png?2

Formalhauf lander above Duna - I didn't realize till now how much the Formalhauf heatshield resembles a miniature Duna

ug7xe8b.png?2

This was my first purely aerocapture & parachute-retarded Duna landing.  Worked flawlessly.  So I'm certain the next round of probes to arrive will all sustain catastrophic failures of some kind.

PWWI6Ei.png?2

I'm exploring Gameslinx's planet overhaul and I'm currently at Olu'um, which is a star, and there happens to be a moon orbiting extremely close to the star, which I'm currently attempting to land on. The spaceship is overheating a lot, the solar panels and a battery are already gone, the lander can almost went. I'm going to have to land on the night side and maybe not EVA because I'll melt the Kerbal.

And to top it off, a line in the song I'm listening to right now is "flying too close to the sun as if we're invincible."

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

For a split second there, thought the KSC was some awesome, ginormous space station in orbit...<_<

I can feel the fps drop just thinking about it :/

Today I put something in orbit without using any fuel... Just power of electricity and magnetism.

y4m4yJ_AyDXSRwEfS0iO1dIAGLivc56mQtrgoU3q

y4mRgywxpVbpHkN9lyJlTTAuIfb2H811iHfNHFCD

y4mn85ulD2pUhBVL-yLwwXzUzUsKB-zUttGWFCS2

The main difficulty was to keep a speed low enough to not break the big solar panels.

Of course you can make it nuclear and remove this difficulty.

Of course since it's not using fuel you can reach unlimited speed. Beauty of Kerbal physic...

2 minutes ago, roboslacker said:

Is this a single vehicle?

Yes it is. There is no docking involved.

I could have make it without the big structure just by using the shift mode but I prefer it like that.

Of course you can make it inside a structural tube to make it a proper engine.

I reached Eve, and landed on Gilly! Now I can finally get rid of that huge lander!

Yesterday, I forgot to mention this, but I had to do a 3 hour burn to get myself to roughly align with Eve's orbit. Even at 4x warp, it was painful.

1 hour ago, Urus28 said:

Today I put something in orbit without using any fuel... Just power of electricity and magnetism.

Is it stable? As in does it just keep working and not succumb to kraken attacks?

1 minute ago, eddiew said:

Is it stable? As in does it just keep working and not succumb to kraken attacks?

During the test I made the stability was a problem during the early phase of the fly since large solar panel don't like high speed and high acceleration in atmosphere. So I had to keep the acceleration level making the vessel difficult to control.

Then out of the atmosphere it works just like other ships, you just don't have gimbals. I did not face kraken problem. I made a rather long burn to reach a velocity enough to escape kerbol without facing problem.

The game seems to think this kind of propulsion is normal. :D

Uhmm... KSP?

HgkfRfs.png

Don't know what happened there, but going to the KSC and then back fixed it, so I could now do my first rendezvous in the save!

LEg9KjZ.png

And I also began a mission to Minmus. It will take about 40 days to get there because the Mun is in a very unfortunate position. It was only in hindsight that I could have simply waited until the Mun went out of my way.

6rpqXc1.png

7hKrO1H.png

2 hours ago, Urus28 said:

y4m4yJ_AyDXSRwEfS0iO1dIAGLivc56mQtrgoU3q

y4mRgywxpVbpHkN9lyJlTTAuIfb2H811iHfNHFCD

y4mn85ulD2pUhBVL-yLwwXzUzUsKB-zUttGWFCS2

The main difficulty was to keep a speed low enough to not break the big solar panels.

Of course you can make it nuclear and remove this difficulty.

Of course since it's not using fuel you can reach unlimited speed. Beauty of Kerbal physic...

My god... He's just invented a new Kraken Drive!

Rejoice!

A new frontier for me, Inner Space, but I do feel like I just chewed up a day in my life I will never get back.  :)

A submarine, Ping, and a "sinker", Nemo.  Both of them are launched from a Pterodactyl open-bed cargo plane and chuted in to the target zone.  Ping is quite fast above and below the water.

4f48r2D.png  rpQOROq.png

Docking vertically is tricky...

Oh...  This is a surprise!  Ping can fly...  Oops.  Uh, kinda leapt out of the water and kept climbing.  I'm a bit shocked as I doubt I can land it on the awkward little gear it has.

Edited by Hotel26

13 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

For an encore, I got my first orbiter around Moho in this career, along with putting a Surveyor lander safely on the surface.  Then a just a few days later, my first Duna Verona probe arrived, dropping a Formalhauf lander before entering orbit around Ike.  All probes & landers courtesy of Probes Plus mod

Quetzel-ER in Moho orbit:

vI2FSQC.png?2

Formalhauf lander above Duna - I didn't realize till now how much the Formalhauf heatshield resembles a miniature Duna

ug7xe8b.png?2

This was my first purely aerocapture & parachute-retarded Duna landing.  Worked flawlessly.  So I'm certain the next round of probes to arrive will all sustain catastrophic failures of some kind.

PWWI6Ei.png?2

Ok. How did you make the sphere? Mod plz?

2 hours ago, FeofileGrotter said:

Ok. How did you make the sphere? Mod plz?

From Probes Plus by @akron.  It's two pieces - parachute on top & heat shield on bottom for the "Formalhauf" lander - which is the KSP version of the Soviet Venera landers.  It's become one of my favorite mods - from the old Surveyor lunar landers to Voyager to Cassini-Huygens & a bunch in between, it's an amazing mod.

So I've been trying to build stock replicas of all of the major launch vehicles used throughout the Space Race. Everyone's done Apollo, I've already posted Gemini...Redstone is boring...the only thing left was Mercury-Atlas. So I successfully put one together!

CJZfaQL.png

Unfortunately, the staging has been giving me no end of trouble...

Spoiler

O6BaGAM.png

But, I finally got it fixed!

Spoiler

r0NWwzh.png

I continue my tests with the magnetic kraken drive... I made a space plane with two MKD and a nuclear core for power supply.

The plane barely reach 200m/s at sea level but the top speed slowly increase with altitude, you can expect Mach 1 at 10000m. Passed 20000m there is no more limit and the plane can reach Mach 5.

y4mq_rEXl0t49NrujamhyR4HoIfdYzfEVHGgy7Ov