What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Nothing in KSP today, played Minecraft with my kid...

giphy.gif

^_^

14 hours ago, Urus28 said:

Today I put something in orbit without using any fuel... Just power of electricity and magnetism.

y4m4yJ_AyDXSRwEfS0iO1dIAGLivc56mQtrgoU3q

giphy.gif

Spam warning, watch at own risk:

Spoiler

Edited by Triop

24 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Just recovered from a BSOD.

Feels great end my suffering

Hah. I get those more often then I'd like

Usually fine though....

3 minutes ago, Triop said:

Now there is a cookie I'd like to eat, looks fresh baked from the oven, nice picture.

Thx, and if your wondering what mod im using, its called real solar system.

Link:

Edited by jack gamer
I wanted to give the link just for the people who might want to use this mod.

2 hours ago, jack gamer said:

Thx, and if your wondering what mod im using, its called real solar system.

I'd hope that most people here would recognize that as mars, and know of the RSS mod.

Of course, its not too hard to find a mars heightmap and use it to make a custom planet... like so:

Spoiler

RVWg6Y2.png

1gpMEVo.png

Anyway, last night I came back to my dropship designs for use on a 3x modified duna (surface gravity increased to .376 from 0.3g, atmospheric density decreased by about 10%, radius 3x of stock, terrain height 1.5x of stock, atmosphere height 1.8x stock).

Since it certainly can't achieve orbit on its own on 3x kerbin, and it has large wings, a conventional rocket booster wasn't viable, so I tried launching it STS style, but I had to put a mammoth under the external tank, and even with some rotation, it still wouldn't balance with the SRBs, so I had to add SRBs (in addition to the SRBs on the side of the external tank) to the "orbiter" on the side opposite where the external tank attached. Unfortunately, I was launching at night, so I don't have good pics, here's one after SRB separation:

Spoiler

P9hUZ1l.png

I had thought that this 200 ton dropship would be too large and heavy for my cargo SSTO, but a little use of the offset tool on the rear tailfins, and where the dropship attaches to make it sort of piggy back style, and it worked:

tbJCTc5.png

2sqUQc3.png

Of course, I didn't get it up there with a full fuel load, but it still has plenty of dV to get to Mun and refuel from the ISRU base:

UKneh1y.png

I'm still not sure which cargo SSTO design I like better, this one here, or a similar build I did after 1.4 came out, with 2.5m engine plates instead of quad adaptors, and the replacement jumbo 64 tanks.

Spoiler

DDhRJ8N.png

Anyway... I keep finding that with that SSTO, I can pretty much launch whatever payload I want with a little tweaking... there are only a few payloads that I use disposable rockets for.

Landed on the Mun again. Then realised I had 600m/s more than I need, so I decided to hop to a different biome (from low to midlands)

9xjPBa0.png

And I really cut it close!

Xd2JGCb.png

In a seperate mission I sent a probe there to collect science for a contract. I set it on a free-return to burn up in the atmosphere. As expected, the service bay survived.

Htc1Jzp.png

Oh, and my Minmus fly-by spacecraft arrived! With 900m/s dV in total I decided to repurpose the mission slightly.

Mxmp5gW.png

Planning and executing my return...

639Xn5J.png

qPsoQE9.png

... and then I realized my return trajectory is perturbed slightly, either that or a bug in Principia (unlikely). I don't know what body/bodies is/are causing this, but I reckon it's either the Sun or I got too close to Minmus' L1/L2 point. It can't be Minmus itself because inclination to relative Kerbin increased, not decreased (as it would be if Minmus pulled me forwards). And it can't be the Mun because it's too far away, same goes for the planets.

v2RNFhO.png

Edited by Delay
L3 at Minmus made no sense, that's on the other side of the orbit.

Today I think I've officially gone insane. For some reason I really wanted to build a gigantic jet fighter, and ended up putting way too much work into it. It's only half done, so far it has the body done and has working canards, I was also gonna build a big cockpit out of solar panels, but the little bubble cockpit looks way funnier.

gsEYqVO.jpg

5opyY0t.jpg

giphy.gif

The thing also actually flys in it's current state, albeit in a very unstable fashion.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

You only think that now? May I remind you of your previous craft?

zP3xGic.jpg

To be fair, That one is based off of an aircraft that was actually proposed by Boeing, same size and all.

I do see your point though.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

Welp, finally got back to KSP after a loong break, let's see what kind of shenanigans my little green dudes get into this time around. You guys seem to have been really productive since my last visit.

Just now, Mjarf said:

Welp, finally got back to KSP after a loong break, let's see what kind of shenanigans my little green dudes get into this time around. You guys seem to have been really productive since my last visit.

same, ive been taking a break from ksp and started playing Garry's mod.