What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Ok, so I've landed at Woomerang, the place looks normal, but my plane hardly can move around.... needs further investigation. @Mjp1050

awmfVB7.png

u2vnoiA.png

TBC :ph34r:

Ok, so I opened the throttle a little, what happened was a invisible wall stopping me and I allmost flipped:

IoNH1b0.png

This place is haunted  kracken bugged . . .

Next up: EVA :ph34r:

O look, Minmus !

egURqEt.png

#FIRST #WOOMERANG

KeRY5Xv.png

^_^

Edited by Triop

On 5/13/2018 at 5:31 PM, Triop said:

I miss using mods, this is so tempting...

..but I'm dedicated to my 1.4.3 vanilla career right now... <_<

But some day . . . :ph34r:  Krimson will return

Join usssssssss.... feel the power of the mod side....

Meanwhile, I blew up the VAB.

Kza0gj9.jpg

Accidentally. The really remarkable thing is that I remembered to hit the screenshot key.

And I needed something to re-hit some biomes as I've "scienced up", so

RkJPEFg.jpg

with Hooligan labs 'inflatable parachute' and WBI micro-jet engines.

Also, there's a mod and I would know by/maintained-by linuxgurugamer because all mods are, in fact, either written or maintained by the entity(ies) known as 'linuxgurugamer' to have kerbals follow each other in EVA, which of course I can't remember what it's called right now.

The algorithm isn't really sophisticated...

Spoiler

a5aP8ey.jpg

aqSxwMD.jpg

JuPPFaC.jpg

But I left them standing there after the group photo, and came back a bit later, and 

jVCdscq.jpg

Look closely and the flag is up there also.

This is two groups: one who Found Out The Hard Way that AirPark needs to be basically 0 m/s or it doesn't work, with the usual consequences one installed AirPark to avoid; the other group actually exploded inside a vehicle cab after a rollover that damaged nothing else including the rocket on the rear deck.

I think they have either been cursed, or {play ominous_minor_chords.wav} called by the Kraken...

58 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

... that reminds me... :blush:

*adds canned air to Amazon cart*

I didn't get it at first, thought you meant:

giphy.gif

:lol:

*young kids, go watch Spaceballs

Edited by Triop

On 5/13/2018 at 4:31 PM, Triop said:

I miss using mods, this is so tempting...

..but I'm dedicated to my 1.4.3 vanilla career right now... <_<

But some day . . . :ph34r:  Krimson will return

Well, since you love planes as much as I do, may I suggest a "Mod" plugin?
Check this out. You'd be surprised how well it works for fine tuning your aerodynamics.

https://spacedock.info/mod/789/CorrectCoL

So, this is actually today and yesterday, since I didn't get to post last night.

As you may recall, while waiting for a launch window to send rescue tugs to Dres and Eve, I've been trying to finish off my Mun checklist. My first attempt at a reusable lander didn't go so well, partly because it was unstable and partly because it couldn't generate Crew Reports.

Well, I launched a second, updated attempt with a more traditionally-designed lander. With a can. One of the kerbals from the last mission (a pilot named Bardard) got to go on this one too, but the other two are on the ground. As the pilot, he's the one who's supposed to pilot the lander down to the surface, then shuttle it back up where it can be refueled and a scientist (in this case, Mimon, veteran of Onyx Station) can reset the experiments.

The "down to the surface" part went as planned, but the lander didn't have enough fuel to get back up - once again, the trouble was in Twin Craters. There are cursed locations in the universe, and that is one of them.

So I tweaked the lander design again, and launched it (remote-controlled, of course) on a specialized delivery vehicle - no need to launch another orbital capsule, since this is a replacement for the existing lander. The trouble with this was that due to the way I attached it to the launcher, I had to fly the thing butt-first the whole way. SAS, it turns out, doesn't much like having the thrust applied opposite the direction the craft is pointing. So I mostly ended up using SAS to get the craft steady, then turning it off and burning, while carefully compensating for drift (with controls reversed). It was difficult, to say the least. But I did at least get to pilot it the right way around for the actual landing, having ditched the backwards travel stage.

C6C9FF37F89D733ECD6FDE476C95FC308CDA888C

Landed it pretty close to where Bardard was stranded, brought him over, collected the Crew Report, lifted off, and docked with the orbital module.

Spoiler

CE45103B6180AC6AC641B1A0504E7E50469015A4

Filled up the tanks, reset the experiments, and called it a night. I've got a few more landing sites picked out; some are biomes and some are anomalies I may or may not investigate. Hopefully they go more smoothly.

A5D9A209D3B75AAB5A860F6471737508BEA0E9E9

After I clean up the Dres and Eve situations I think I may take a break of indeterminate length from KSP. :/ 

Revisiting the Loki base in 1.3.1, a manned probe dropper ship launches....but not until after a round of cleaning up after the KAS pipe kraken. As a probe control point (to ensure that the Catullus probes have another link through which they're controllable much of the time) the departing ship requires 2 pilots.....that's as many pilots are in the whole crew here so th engineers and scientists are technically stranded except when there's a signal to the station.

Honeyview_screenshot1363.jpg

A shot of Tarsiss exiting Catullus' shadow. The probe-bringer stays in a highly elliptical orbit despite the original plan. This to potentially save (more) dV for its return to the base. The probes will circularize on their own with apparently 15 minute burns each. Only one was done for now-- the one with the high-tier SCANsat terrain scanner.

Honeyview_screenshot1387.jpg

Later I flew a plane......then I had the urge to make a sea vessel. This monstrosity managed to do 60m/s in a straight line, and hold 42m/s while banking, and pretty sharply too. But it couldn't dive at all (a known and very painful problem with aerodynamic parts, or most parts in general). I got around it some by (optionally taking it to KSP 1.4...much less mods in my test install there so startup was fast) writing a patch to crank down buoyancy in all OPT parts. Now with just a little velocity, this craft CAN dive, and I finally have hope to effectively use submarine mod parts (ballast converters) with flashy non-submarine body sections.

dbvdFLz.jpg Honeyview_screenshot49.jpg

Well, I got a bit jealous =P of the @simast idea and decided to try my own version of that interesting Bi-Coupler based plane. :-) First things first, I did a "reverse engineering" =P of the thing.

But I had some difficulties on building a stable craft with the parts I'm using (J85 is underpowered with AJE installed, more powerful engines are heavier and I didn't wanted to add more engines to this little hull; control surfaces not matching the CoM for correct functionality; CoM and CoL far from optimal aligment, etc), and when I finally got something in the air that could land and fly again, I realized that I ended making... The Bat. :-)

https://kerbalx.com/Lisias/Bat-Mk1

BNlsooqBrFujKJIovJDkrPsBMoszGMb_29zFLTCM

WARNING: This thing doesn't recovers from flat spins!

Edited by Lisias
adding warning

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Revisiting the Loki base in 1.3.1, a manned probe dropper ship launches....but not until after a round of cleaning up after the KAS pipe kraken. As a probe control point (to ensure that the Catullus probes have another link through which they're controllable much of the time) the departing ship requires 2 pilots.....that's as many pilots are in the whole crew here so th engineers and scientists are technically stranded except when there's a signal to the station.

Honeyview_screenshot1363.jpg

A shot of Tarsiss exiting Catullus' shadow. The probe-bringer stays in a highly elliptical orbit despite the original plan. This to potentially save (more) dV for its return to the base. The probes will circularize on their own with apparently 15 minute burns each. Only one was done for now-- the one with the high-tier SCANsat terrain scanner.

Honeyview_screenshot1387.jpg

Later I flew a plane......then I had the urge to make a sea vessel. This monstrosity managed to do 60m/s in a straight line, and hold 42m/s while banking, and pretty sharply too. But it couldn't dive at all (a known and very painful problem with aerodynamic parts, or most parts in general). I got around it some by (optionally taking it to KSP 1.4...much less mods in my test install there so startup was fast) writing a patch to crank down buoyancy in all OPT parts. Now with just a little velocity, this craft CAN dive, and I finally have hope to effectively use submarine mod parts (ballast converters) with flashy non-submarine body sections.

dbvdFLz.jpg Honeyview_screenshot49.jpg

That base is absolutely gorgeous

Arrival and fly-by of Duna:

rzoJf0B.png

FPTPiUF.png

xUwMUF0.png

I also planned the route to go back to Kerbin. ~700m/s and roughly 2 years later Jeb, Bill and Bob will walk on Kerbin's surface again.

1 hour ago, HeronRocketry said:

What Mod is that?

The mod is called Principia. It adds n-body physics to KSP.

18 hours ago, Geonovast said:

This game is brutal.  My i7-7700K can sometimes hover 70-80c even with this thing.

Silly question, but is it meant to be that way up? Most fans push through the heatsink fins, but in this case they'd be blasting air down onto the graphics card, and trapping hot air in the case...

And KSP is really not brutal on the CPU because it only uses a couple of threads... half the die will be idle. Unless 1.4.3 has brought some amazing changes I haven't noticed yet :) 

1 minute ago, eddiew said:

Silly question, but is it meant to be that way up? Most fans push through the heatsink fins, but in this case they'd be blasting air down onto the graphics card, and trapping hot air in the case...

And KSP is really not brutal on the CPU because it only uses a couple of threads... half the die will be idle. Unless 1.4.3 has brought some amazing changes I haven't noticed yet :) 

Those fans are actually blowing up.  Unfortunately I can't turn the heatsink 90 degrees.  The top of the case is vented, so the air has somewhere to go.  And that's the only slot the GPU will fit in.

From what I've read of the 7700K and its cousins... that's just what they do, but I still don't like it.  And KSP seems to jump from core to core.  I'll see all 4 cores spike, but not at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Burning Kan said:

what mods make this striped line?

That's the flight planning tool of Principia. The normal maneuver nodes ignore the new physics and are, along with the normal patched conics prediction, (visibly) turned off in-game.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

Those fans are actually blowing up.  Unfortunately I can't turn the heatsink 90 degrees.  The top of the case is vented, so the air has somewhere to go.  And that's the only slot the GPU will fit in.

From what I've read of the 7700K and its cousins... that's just what they do, but I still don't like it.  And KSP seems to jump from core to core.  I'll see all 4 cores spike, but not at the same time.

7700k can run hot, but only if you saturate all cores... Yours shouldn't be roasting with KSP.

Well they're technically sucking up... which sounds like a nitpick, but it makes the heat dissipation less effective, I believe. Is it possible to rotate the heatsink 180, then flip the fans so they push up through the fins? Also maybe replace the heat paste between the cooler and the cpu, and check it's got a nice even footprint and there's no obvious dents in it that're causing a bad contact.

8 minutes ago, eddiew said:

7700k can run hot, but only if you saturate all cores... Yours shouldn't be roasting with KSP.

Well they're technically sucking up... which sounds like a nitpick, but it makes the heat dissipation less effective, I believe. Is it possible to rotate the heatsink 180, then flip the fans so they push up through the fins? Also maybe replace the heat paste between the cooler and the cpu, and check it's got a nice even footprint and there's no obvious dents in it that're causing a bad contact.

I don't think flipping the heatsink 180 would do much, and IIRC, it's in literally the only way it would go in.  Thermal paste is basically brand new, I installed the processor and this cooler only 4 months ago.  I can flip the fans around, though.

The only other thing I can think of is that because this thing's so heavy, it's actually rotating down a bit from its own weight, and it's not pressing flush against the processor. 

But we're getting a bit off topic here.  If you'd like to get into this further, shoot me a PM. :)

Edited by Geonovast