What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

20 hours ago, Triop said:

I wish I could dock in space, but let's not restart that discussion . . . -_-

Just watch where you place the blue and yellow circle and you wil be fine. :sticktongue:

Mj3TFFR.png

Also make sure the back landing gear is close behind the yellow thingy . . .

I do that but it starts wildly rolling and turning right after takeoff without any input, with SAS on

Honestly what I've done today isn't that spectacular. 

v7hdcwojl2y01.png

When getting to apoapsis I pointed sas prograde, then did a twenty-second burn. Waited til it came up again, did another, and repeated the process till periapsis got to where that was shown. Probably not the most efficient use of fuel, but I damned near did all that with my first stage. I likely could have gotten to the Mun with the second stage if I didn't mind it being a one-way trip. HM... Gonna try seeing if I can do a fly around the mun with that rocket after giving it a little more fuel in the upper stage.  I have Science to farm and need those photovoltaics.

Last night I got my first probes around Eve & Gilly.  Used the Verona-Formalhauff setup from Probes Plus again, & dropped the Formalhauff in between a few lakes on Eve's surface.  I also put a Quetzel science/relay satellite in orbit of Eve & dropped a Surveyor probe onto Gilly.   I also lofted a large com relay in polar orbit around Kerbin to be able to communicate with the probes headed for the outer planets.

Formalhauff during reentry

UlghidB.png?2

And after popping the chute:

mHiAV9i.png?2

Launch of the Mk 5 heavy comm relay from Woomerang:

bBQGDNn.png?2

Mk 5 comm relay in orbit:

0mT0B5K.png?2

39 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I do that but it starts wildly rolling and turning right after takeoff without any input, with SAS on

Show me your plane and I can give you a few points on what may b causing that. ;) 

Did some low-tech experimentation in the past few days, including today. Game likes to crash when reverting, for some reason.

Anyway. My experiment sandbox is a science savegame set to 10% science rewards, ie. I'm working my ass off scraping together enough points to buy stuff, partly because for early tech, I'm abiding to VAB/launch pad level limitations as a further self-imposed challenge (30 parts/18 tons until tech 2, weight restriction removed at tech 3, part restriction removed at tech 4). Last flight was an attempt to drop a pod via suborbital flight onto the south pole for the last measurements I need to unlock the Reliant (just one point short of its science cost). First attempt failed due to my trajectory being too low and coming down over the ocean in sight range of the ice fields; second attempt failed due to my trajectory being too steep (300+ km apoapse), resulting in me reentering so hard that the pod and service bay flipped prograde during reentry, burned off the goo canisters mounted to the top of the pod while tumbling and subsequently nosedived into the ice at Mach 1.5 due to failing to slow down enough for the parachute to open and the pod's reaction wheel proving unable to overpower drag at that speed.

20 hours ago, Triop said:

giphy.gif

^_^

It doesn't add parts, and it only works in the Spaceport Hanger build screen. You can have your vanilla game, just with some fine tuning.

For those following along, Lufrid managed to get the second pair of tanks docked to Minmus Station Alpha last night -- only to find the station about 300 units short of the 6000 Lf requirement (only partly due to failing to draw enough fuel from the payload, leading to an incomplete matching burn to rendezvous with the station -- requiring another intercept burn and matching burn).  Mission Planning has been going 'round and 'round, trying to decide whether to send a probe with an FL-T800 to transfer enough fuel to meet the contract, or send Lufrid back for a third time and leave the station with a full "snowflake" of tanks (there's a persistent rumble in one corner of the planning room about setting up a fuel mining operation on Minmus, but no one's ever made fuel and oxidizer off the surface of Kerbin before, which makes it sound expensive -- an argument met with the counter that the Program currently has more than five million funds on deposit and has been profitable from day one).

While the brass down on the ground try to make their decision, Lufrid is enjoying the time in microgravity, knowing she's at least five days from Kerbin, ten if they try to save delta-V.

Today I fired my accountant. :angry:

I need to upgrade, but budget says it will only leave us 7 funds !?11$%&#

DvXC7Me.png

60% of our income went to science points, we stopped this nonsence immediately...

giphy.gif

22 hours ago, Triop said:

Mj3TFFR.png

Also make sure the back landing gear is close behind the yellow thingy . . .

It also helps if the landing gears are exactly where the CoL (the blue thingy) is (or a bit further to the back)

When the gears are in front of the CoL, it's a slightly harder to raise the craft's nose, so you need a bit more speed to compensate the drag imposed by the control surfaces. With the gears at (or slightly) behind the CoL, the nose raises easier as you get lift, so the surfaces work a little less, cause a bit less drag, and you take off with a bit less speed.

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

You can have your vanilla game, just with some fine tuning.

No I can't ;

contradictio in terminis . . .

giphy.gif

"Vanilla" in the computer world means a basic version of something, without any special features or customisations (from its use for no-flavour ice cream).

giphy.gif

;)

Edited by Triop

Planning on putting boots down on Duna pretty soon in my science save, but I'd like to have the equipment there beforehand.

First step will be delivery of the rover, as well as establishing a 4 point comm network around the planet.

The ship will establish itself into a resonant orbit around Duna, and drop the relays into position.  It'll then manuever itself into low orbit while an ideal landing spot is found out. (Normally I just wing it because it doesn't matter, but this time I have science to do!)

screenshot376.pngscreenshot377.png

b46screenshot378.png8e2screenshot379.png

b63screenshot380.pngdbascreenshot381.png

eascreenshot382.png

Next phase will be delivery of a DAV and additional LS supplies.

Now I have to build a launcher to get this 140 ton beast into LKO...

4 hours ago, Triop said:

No I can't ;

contradictio in terminis . . .

"Vanilla" in the computer world means a basic version of something, without any special features or customisations (from its use for no-flavour ice cream).

Alright. As you wish.

7 hours ago, Will Fawkes said:

I likely could have gotten to the Mun with the second stage if I didn't mind it being a one-way trip

You can do a free return trajectory. That basically means that the Mun's gravity pushes your periapsis back into Kerbin's atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

You can do a free return trajectory. That basically means that the Mun's gravity pushes your periapsis back into Kerbin's atmosphere.

Been sending probes out to try working on actually rendezvousing with the Mun with no luck so far. Advice?

5 hours ago, Geonovast said:

dbascreenshot381.png

Cool, its nice to see people making use of the mk3 cargo ramp like this. I haven't seen many people make use of the part since it was added, and I think its a shame because its a great part that opens up a lot of possibilities for delivering stuff to the surface and moving stuff around the surface.

My most recent activity, tweaking my rald booster (replaced the 2 rapiers on back of the two side tanks with whiplashes, replaced the Rhino at the rear with a quad of rapiers, because it really needed more airbreathing thrust, given the thing atmosphere of Rald, its static TWR sucked).

Then after successful testing with a dummy payload:

PCnWY3k.png

Spoiler

IiizR8m.png

I put it piggyback on my large SSTO, so that it could reach kerbin orbit in 3x, and have enough dV to transfer itself to Duna-Rald or Mun for refueling. (It can't even reach kerbin orbit on its own in 3x, comes up a few hundred m/s short, even when the payload is an orange tank rover, and all that fuel is available)

Despite being the heaviest my cargo SSTO has ever launched, it took off easier because the payload was an airbreathing spaceplane that could largely carry its own weight, instead of an inert payload in a fairing:

WAGVqPY.png

Spoiler

OXNKi7D.png

GZ7j2aT.png

IPNmcqe.png

gMlITYn.png

Rather than go through the trouble of using multiple reroots to allow me to save the smaller spaceplane as a radially attachable sub assembly that doesn't keep some decoupler stubs/ a pylon after decouple (or did they change that), then attaching to the larger spaceplane, I actually used my inline attachment system, and just used part offset to raise it up.

Edited by KerikBalm

@Will Fawkes Aim 45-60° in front of the Mun, that will almost certainly give you an encounter.. As soon as you get one you can adjust it by burning prograde or retrograde.

For a free return I find angles between 60° and 90° work well.

Edited by Delay

On 5/16/2018 at 2:18 AM, KerikBalm said:

I haven't seen many people make use of the part since it was added

It's probably because it's almost impossible to make a usable rover that will fit inside of it that can also 1) get out, and 2) get back in using stock parts. (and without ridiculous clipping)

@Angel-125 took care of that, though. :D

Edited by Geonovast
Clipping addendum

I use nothing less than OPT J body (also holds 2.5m but less tightly) to hold rovers. Granted...I needed a claw in the ceiling in order to manage this.

73Q0exd.jpg bZEA5rj.jpg 8cijFnm.jpg

Last night I did somewhat an RTLS and brought the two pilots back to their base after completing their mission and then some. They delivered all 3 scanner probes to Catullus, stayed in an extreme eccentric orbit there, and carried one of two new station modules (which launched up and met the pilots) to the station before thy landed.

But the KAS pipe kraken started disturbing the peace. Very much so.

Honeyview_screenshot1423.jpg

Honeyview_screenshot1426.jpg 

Edited by JadeOfMaar