What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Back at the KSC the lacking of 3 of the 4 kerbals is noticeable, to say the least. I can only launch one manned mission at a time. Nevertheless, this didn't deter me from launching a mission to the Mun for a contract. Taking crew reports while above/below altitude x at point y, you know the drill. I built this vehicle to perform the mission. It's... slightly overkill, as I had to realize.

Fq688w1.png

Capture and plane change:

VDAjHG6.png

sNVpOcN.png

Meanwhile the surface reference frame draws nice lissajous curves.

bWBhrct.png

Now, after the mission was done I wanted to get a screenshot of the total trajectory - from start to finish. But sadly as it turns out, going EVA and then back into the craft deletes the flight history.

At least I got a partial view - here's the last few Mun orbits and the escape back to Kerbin:

Qeiqsee.png

As previously mentioned, the vehicle I built was slightly overkill. At the end of the mission the tanks were still basically completely full. So I used the fuel to slow myself down. From a Mun intersecting orbit, this is far I was able to decelerate...

iSny7xi.png

And then I landed right next to these mountains.

oAB6Rro.png

12 hours ago, Will Fawkes said:

Been sending probes out to try working on actually rendezvousing with the Mun with no luck so far. Advice?

Just spend more time messing around with nodes.  Plan a burn that extends out to the mun, then drag the entire node around until you get an intercept.  You'll find the sweet spot by leading the moon about 90 degrees.

If you execute a burn and it comes out wrong, chances are it either burned too long or not long enough.  So burn slowly prograde or retrograde to try and get it where you want.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:40 AM, Geonovast said:

This game is brutal.  My i7-7700K can sometimes hover 70-80c even with this thing.

20180126170556.jpg

Contemplating de-lidding, seems to be common with that series of processors.

My little Ryzen 3 1200 with a big clunky Noctua cooler barely produces any heat at all, it's not quite as muscular as your beefy i7 though. ^_^

JqPO5Oo.jpg

I need to test this... (for science)

Wvehphy.png

Now, how do we test it out? Oh wait! I know!

b7lbJl2.png

Let's do some... Extreme aerobraking

eOvHWLL.png

The heat should be far more than what stock parts can endure

jzy4u9Y.png

n9YdelT.png

The thermal overlay goes haywire

bo10BUL.png

That's quite effective aerobraking, but now I'm gaining altitude again on suborbital trajectory

j4zPMsO.png

I can't believe I had to burn retrograde with a shuttle in atmosphere to slow down

Kl2tY3k.png

Well it works, let's find a place to land

dk8amho.png

McpdXCw.png

Jeb celebrates the success of the heat test by posing for a screenshot in front of the craft

D9C5Yl2.png

10 hours ago, Triop said:

New toy speed test

That does it.  Now I have to make one...  :)

Hmm, 11 13 parts.  OK.

(I'm toying also with the idea of making a museum airport, a short distance either North or West of KSC and use it to fly in and park a growing collection of rebuilds...)

UPDATE @Triop: Thumbs up.  :)  (I've always been a sucker for V-tails!)

Edited by Hotel26

22 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

That does it.  Now I have to make one...  :)

Hmm, 11 parts.  OK.

(I'm toying also with the idea of making a museum airport, a short distance either North or West of KSC and use it to fly in and park a growing collection of rebuilds...)

Lol, I was just about to post this:

TyB55Nz.png

I'm not only going for speed, but also low fuel consumption and distance.

Look at this low fuel consumption !

zhuEwys.png

Could my small streamlined and lightweighted jet make circumnavigation ?

I wanted to add a poll, but I don't know how... ^_^

EDIT: I didn't show the speed:

ztUQ1lU.png

It's not even on afterburner, I'm going to test this to circumnavigate tomorrow.

TBC :ph34r:

Edited by Triop

On 5/14/2018 at 6:40 PM, Geonovast said:

This game is brutal.  My i7-7700K can sometimes hover 70-80c even with this thing.

20180126170556.jpg

Contemplating de-lidding, seems to be common with that series of processors.

Try moving some cables out of the way to allow more airflow- it looks like some pretty neglected cable management going on there. 

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I use nothing less than OPT J body (also holds 2.5m but less tightly) to hold rovers. Granted...I needed a claw in the ceiling in order to manage this.

73Q0exd.jpg bZEA5rj.jpg 8cijFnm.jpg

Last night I did somewhat an RTLS and brought the two pilots back to their base after completing their mission and then some. They delivered all 3 scanner probes to Catullus, stayed in an extreme eccentric orbit there, and carried one of two new station modules (which launched up and met the pilots) to the station before thy landed.

But the KAS pipe kraken started disturbing the peace. Very much so.

Honeyview_screenshot1423.jpg

Honeyview_screenshot1426.jpg 

Sorry if I've asked this before, but what is the mod that adds those habitats? Thanks!

I built this today... I felt it as that time of year again where I should build a Mk3 plane and find a use for it. In comes Wild Blue Airlines :sticktongue:  powered by Airline Kuisine, Thor Tech, Pathfinder (see picture above) and Snacks (life support), the last two made by @Angel-125's mods,  Solar panels never looked so good! :) 

For and with this plane I made the Mk2 lander, and a (not-as glamorous or luxurious) Mk1 lander which currently only has 1 seat (the Mk1 Inline Cockpit).

4r9EVX6.jpg

f7no6Li.jpg krSoYNo.jpg LepXEK0.jpg HGyoCJi.jpg sEFjX16.jpg

The plane has no VTOL engines. Landing it was basically a theme park ride since it's not meant to land in vacuum. The nostalgia of visiting Minmus again is quite real too. :) 

tiifKkb.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

36 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Solar panels never looked so good! :)

You're right. You're soo right.
Also a nice Mk3 cockpit there.

5 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Some days, I ask myself the question. Is this just a teensy-bit excessive? Today is not one of those days.

2UodQwp.jpg

Still needs moar boosters

well as for meni installed KSP loaded it up and launched the least interesting thing ive ever launched...a box. (No screenshots as this was acctualy yesterday unless you are UTC-12 and im on my mobile)

QcAEmMg.png

AoeaDY5.png

N453U9x.png

6rTXdb4.png

It's a parody of Talos-1 space station and the story of Prey (2017) :P

Actual design of the station:

Nl8Fcas.jpg

(The station isn't just replica. It's fully functional and can support actual space mission. It's just my laptop can't handle it's large part count)

Edited by ARS

On 5/17/2018 at 10:03 PM, Mjarf said:

We all know that wings are overrated

Yup.  This submarine has 2 pair of hydroplanes and a Wheelsey...

4f48r2D.png

It pops out of the water and then accelerates to a top speed of Mach 1.8 (KER).  Fuel consumption is pretty good too.  [I just wish it had been a better submarine.]

"Give me one Ping, Vasily"... and I will rule the world!

Edited by Hotel26

Thinking whether if I should continue the project even further in constructing the Talos-1 station (from Prey (2017)) or not

LdqXyw9.png

Udt3SLQ.png

Nl8Fcas.jpg

Spoiler

QcAEmMg.png

AoeaDY5.png

N453U9x.png

6rTXdb4.png

Last time I tried, my laptop is struggling hard to load it. So far, all of the functional utilities has been installed, now I need to add more structural panels on the outside part of the station and more fuel tanks on the exterior for aesthetic. Currently, it does function as a space station and transit outpost, but I don't know if I can make it

I really need to take a break...

Let's play quadrotor for now :)

649AjUh.png