What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I'm going to make two seperate posts for what I did today... Too many images at once.

The first thing i did was notice that my (only) satellite has a heavily perturbed orbit. It just gets more and more eccentric until it collides with Kerbin.

nY171Nh.png

And once again I got mesmerized by reference frames.

ZZnQojA.png

Anyways; I "corrected" the orbit by burning normal until apoapsis and periapsis were close together again. It will still drift over time, but for now it's okay again.

PTZGCQi.png

The second part of today's session was a Minmus landing that could have gone better. I wanted to do some hopping to the poles of Minmus (from the equator) and by that I cut my fuel really close. I was forced to come up with a different solution to my self-created dV shortcomings. And that didn't go well...

Today I restructured Munbase Saucer into the SaucerWorks. Before:

xpv0ZGI.png

After:

dz0dFrc.png

SaucerWorks is a secret munbase jointly run by the Kerman Air Force (KAF) and Kerman Intelligence Agency (KIA) whose purpose is to reverse-engineer the crashed flying saucer without anybody knowing about it. While the various nations on Kerbin argue about who gets to investigate the Arctic Saucer (which the rocket-powered Flapjack is inspired by), the SaucerWorks is secretly getting the job done. Here you can see the konkrete platforms at work again to provide a level place to build a base. The original Munbase Saucer is now relegated to power generation, and its drill truck will soon be recycled.

I've left the lower section of the SaucerWorks empty to serve as a flight line for future flying saucers. This is what they'll make:

k6FObGb.png

mc0zz5P.png

Edited by Angel-125

2 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Nice!  Does this also alter the height map?  Earth's Moon is a lot, um, smoother than the Mun...

The Mun is entirely changed. The way it looks in ScaledSpace is directly reflected up close when you get to land at it. It will be the same new kind of awesome when you're near like when you're far. :)

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@Angel-125 So... have you or have you not already secretly made an Enterprise with your saucer bits?;)

yj4CjZp.png

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@Angel-125 So... have you or have you not already secretly made an Enterprise with your saucer bits?;)

Not... yet....

But I did go a little recyler happy with the modified Munar Science Rover, so I did some rearranging and created the SaucerWorks Power Station:

zOWYNFO.png

Just a bit more recycling to do, and SaucerWorks will be done. :)

I've been going through my old Apollo-style Mun-and-back kOS script and completely overhauling it. I've spent the last two weeks on the precision landing phase of the mission because I was never totally happy with how it ended up, so I rewrote the landing from scratch and finally have it working as of tonight.

Just as accurate, but a much smoother transition between braking phase and terminal descent. Unfortunately not as fuel efficient as my old script, which was a full throttle braking phase *and* a suicide burn terminal descent. This terminal descent is throttle-controlled, and I need to do some more tweaking to get it closer to the old efficiency.

Super duper happy with this iteration. Lots more work to do though!

Was playing around with a 6.4x Gael save (In sandbox). I have since learned that KS3P is a little hard on the eyes, but the scenes it produces are pretty sweet. Can't wait till scatterer works in more than just 1x Gael

OWkwDnr.png

Edited by Steeeeve

So i discovered when launching a Soyuz like spacecraft and coasting it trough the uppermost atmolayers the color changes allready, no hot plasma required to make it appear like the real thing, really cool done by SQUAD...

tJxJ9iG.png

I could lift the terraindetail to 100%...  

Edited by Mikki

Today I went into my RSS/RO sandbox/testing save and decided to do a Lunar flyby.

My new rocket is called a Kosmos (Similar to but not exactly) like the Kosmos series of rockets. and can put around 2 tonnes in a polar orbit (including transfer stage for lunar flyby)

Kosmos-1 launcher on the pad.

h0bEgW9.png

Probe on flyby within sight of the moon.

jYm2pIT.png

Close flyby

iGotQIU.png

End result was me crashing into a mountain due to a miscalculation in altitude.

Edited by CarbonFibre
Image fixing

Part 2 of what I did yesterday!

"Land on Minmus' equator, hop to the north pole and come back to Kerbin". Easy, right?

Initially the mission went exactly as planned. I wanted to build a lander with an LES, so I that's what I did:

Td7eCUo.png

Inside the fairing (which doesn't deploy) at the top is a materials bay and the parachute. The LES along with the adapter are seperated after leaving the atmosphere, but before circularization to avoid debris. On board are Valentina and a scientist whose name I forgot to restore the experiments.

Extending the solar panels. The first stage and the LES are in the background.

justYCo.png

FAxHAHT.png

gdIDOuT.png

yeCzcwt.png

I did some dV calculations and found out that I still had about 600-650m/s worth of fuel inside the tank. "Enough to go to the poles!" I thought. I slightly underestimated Minmus' gravity.

5bWRK4a.png

Tk6P0lK.png

After getting into orbit I found out I only got 157m/s left. The most fuel efficient, direct transfer back to Kerbin took 167m/s. Dangit! I'll have to get out and push.

Wait a minute. What if, instead of using a direct approach, I use the Mun to slow me down? This change of plans reduced the required dV to 137m/s! Not pushing after all!

2jAk1Vq.png

eV0dQLy.png

daJjmjB.png

However, this trajectory had a problem. Before I explain any further, let's kill all "excitement" or "suspension" this would otherwise create by spoiling the outcome (to avoid any unintentional anticlimaxes): I made a quicksave, so I had more than one attempt at this. I was worried about my trajectory and fuel level anyways; I don't know how many quicksaves I made per minute, just to be on the safe side.

If you look closely, the trajectory misses Kerbin's atmosphere twice, then the Mun slows me down again... and sets me on a collision course with the surface. What happened to the Kerbals basically goes without saying, especially because this craft doesn't have heat shields.

Spoiler

Yeah. They burned up.

Knowing this I loaded the save, planned an extra maneuver that used all remaining 20m/s to not only get a periapsis, but to get it as high a possible too. That was about 57km. I then did a series of aerobrakes to slow myself down. After numerous brakes I slowed down enough that heating was no longer a problem. I still lost the mystery goo, though.

B6sOf8x.png

uR4P7To.png

The parachute didn't slow me down enough. I lost the engine and all 4 landing legs.

xa3waWD.png

Edited by Delay

I'm bored... What should I do today?

BZOBJWr.png

Guys, I wanna ask something...

8hF9Uuy.png

Is it normal for a KSP player...

WFi3RRJ.png

To be obsessed with doing re-entry?

ENy67CO.png

Because I've launched several craft in a day just for the sake of seeing them burn in atmosphere :P

I've built one of the most popular cop cars in TV history. Guess the model and year. Top speed: 77m/s.

I also made a General Lee out of my '69 Charger,  just without the flag.

All stock parts, just painted.

BS3UQUs.png

aXtnf70.png

TmtnoTN.png

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

You'd better ask @Kronus_Aerospace about that.  He's the resident expert.

Awe well, I guess I do have more experience with SSTO designs, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. I must say though, re-entry, or just entry, is usually the most satisfying part of an SSTO mission. When you've just returned from Eeloo, or when you've finally arrived at Laythe, the atmospheric entry is kind of like fireworks celebrating your achievement.

I can understand re-entering just for the sake of it though, even without thermal limits it's still pretty exciting and pretty. However, I think it's even more exciting when you're at the end of a long interplanetary mission, and your craft gets just a few degrees away from exploding during your aerocapture. Those are some real heart-pounding moments!

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

I finally did my first interplanetary mission since installing USI-LS.
This mothership has two landers attached, one for Duna, one for Ike. The "service module" with the nukes can be replaced or upgraded for future Moho / Eve missions.
I spend weeks for this mission. The hardware was already tested on a Mun/Minmus trip, after that I did a lot of orbital construction for correcting issues using KIS/KAS.

sF27Ge3.jpg

vns4vL4.jpg

Edited by lugge

1 hour ago, The Dunatian said:

That's fine. I can add the flag myself. Is is on kerbalx?

The Charger is, I haven't uploaded the General Lee yet. Do you wish to wait for it or modify it yourself? If you do, KSP 1.4.x has wrong base wheel friction settings, they need to be lowered.

https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-1969-Charger-RT-40-and-Daytona

Expect a 1.4.x release of the Charger, including the General Lee, this weekend.