What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I just flew my longest non-stop mission so far; 1:34:33 to get a contract half around kerbin and back !

GLPjWNy.png

vShiMsT.png

We came by the smallest island on Kerbin, this might be the first picture ever taken of this island ^_^

zlD5zRj.png

jqfyLeO.png

EDIT: I did use my "lange jannen"(dutch for droptanks) giving me 300 extra LF (1100 total)

VDenxvE.png

Edited by Triop

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Care to explain how you got him into this peculiar situation?

Unlocked feature: ostrich mode.

This calms a kerbal after seeing his genetic copies. Now we all have to wait & see if the training will result in fewer deaths due to panic and the occasional bout of Weltschmerz.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Okay... I don't know what I typed to get that response, but according to Wiktionary...

peculiar (comparative more peculiar, superlative most peculiar)

1. Out of the ordinary; odd; strange; unusual.

From the Urban Dictionary: Denying or refusing to acknowledge something that is blatantly obvious as if your head were in the sand like an ostrich.

32 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Denying or refusing to acknowledge something that is blatantly obvious as if your head were in the sand like an ostrich.

What obvious thing have I denied or refused to acknowledge? All I asked him was what he did to get to this. This is not supposed to happen in regular gameplay, so I see my question as justified.

Edited by Delay

I went 630m below, in GPP and used the SCANsat zoom window as a pseudo sonar. I found it quite easy to leave the water (just dive a bit then exploit the upward acceleration of lift in water) then I could have the ship serve as a seaplane. It had a nice top speed of Mach 1......unfortunately I crashed it (FOR SCIENCE! Yeah, for scince). The cockpit and all crew magically survived, and that was that. 

llimGxZ.jpg

This happened after I tested my Gratian plane, the "Spice Finder" after aerobraking and dropping its orbital scanner probes. I wanted to know its limits for the possibility of orbital insertion purely by aerocapture. Some of the air RCS (very important) melted, which was bad, but otherwise the potential is there.

I crashed this too because I didn't think to balance the VTOL thrust after dropping the probes and before I needed the VTOL thrust.

(old pic, I took no screenshots. :( )

wU2u9al.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 minute ago, Steeeeve said:

I don't think I'll ever be able to use another navball other than that one again. It's absolutely perfect

Is TRR still around? I've switched to using DiRT, but it doesn't do navball texture switching.

4 hours ago, Delay said:

What obvious thing have I denied or refused to acknowledge? All I asked him was what he did to get to this. This is not supposed to happen in regular gameplay, so I see my question as justified.

Ohw man ... this was just a joke focused on the image of the kerbal with his head stuck in the ground, not an attack on anyone. I'm sorry you somehow felt this way, I have not reason at all to transmit negative energy. 

Now let's all celebrate the ostrich, for it does something which seems pretty uncomfortable to most.

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Ohw man ... this was just a joke focused on the image of the kerbal with his head stuck in the ground, not an attack on anyone. I'm sorry you somehow felt this way, I have not reason at all to transmit negative energy. 

Now let's all celebrate the ostrich, for it does something which seems pretty uncomfortable to most.

cool+strother.gif

(Also ostriches don't actually put their heads in the sand, just for the record. It's just a myth.)

Yesterday (never have time to write this up after playing until I should be in bed):

Lufrid brought the third (and, for now, final) set of tanks to Minmus Station Alpha, and the contract finally completed -- after some shenanigans with the station shaking apart on multiple loads (finally managed to turn off autostrut quickly enough after loading the save, in time to stop the shaking; then all was well).  She was "honored" with being left in command of the station as Nelcan and Adeny returned to Kerbin -- leaving as much fuel and monopropellant behind as they dared.  This leaves Mun Station Alpha with about 18,500 units of Lf/O on board, and tank capacity of 22,400; 595 units of monopropellant with tank capacity of 760.  The station has maneuvering engines (an array of six Cub  vernier engines) as well as RCS, so can change orbits and actively dock when needed (which is good, because Lufrid ran out of monopropellant twice in the three trips to bring tanks).  Honestly, the station itself is probably capable of going anywhere in the system, if one doesn't mind very, VERY long burns...

That left one contract to fulfill from the current branch: two tourists wanted to visit the Mun, one to land.  Monie was tapped to take them, flying a standard Mun lander (one pilot, two passengers, meant nothing special was needed in the lander other than disabling controls for two seats).  After discovering that the crossfeed in the decouplers for the drop tanks had been disabled before flight (?!), she was able to land successfully near the Mun's south pole, and bring back a full load of science from a previously untapped biome.  Fortunately, she discovered during her EVA (to plant flag, take surface sample, and file EVA report) that the assembly crew who modified her vessel from one originally built to carry four passengers plus the pilot had managed to leave off the main parachutes; she therefore had a Mk. 1-3 Command Pod loaded with science that had only a pair of drogues.

In the best Kerbal tradition, she first tried to self-rescue: instead of direct return, she set up an aerobraking trajectory, and after six passes (starting at 50 km Pe, working down to 42 km) had established a low enough orbit for everything to survive reentry -- except she'd noted enough instability to be pretty sure the ship didn't have enough pitch/yaw authority to keep retrograde through the denser atmosphere.  That put the kibosh on her plan to use the transfer stage to thrust brake on a (hopefully) water landing and/or use the engine and tanks as a crush zone on land -- she'd never get the vessel low/slow enough, intact, to open the drogues.

That left one alternative: she used the fuel she'd reserved for terminal braking to stabilize in LKO, which left her inclined about 45+ degrees, and called for rescue.

As the ground crew rushed together a rescue vessel based on Explorer III (one of the earliest Munar flyby craft -- six stepped-thrust Thumper SRBs around a Swivel core, with Swivel upper stage, and a Mk. 1 Inline Cockpit with KLAW and RCS replacing the original Mk. 1 Command Pod -- Jebediah convinced everyone on the ground he was the only one to pilot the rescue craft.  With tourists aboard, an EVA crew transfer wasn't possible, and the technology to add parts to a craft in flight doesn't exist; the only hope was to grapple Jeb's rescue vessel to the tourist craft and let Jeb's (gross overkill, for the vessel he'd be flying) parachutes lower the conglomeration to the ground.  Jeb chose to launch from Woomerang, to match the target vessel's inclination without spending a bunch of delta-V (which his vessel didn't have to spare).

After several unsuccessful attempts to grapple the Mun lander by its nose cone, Jeb and Monie agreed on Plan B: Monie staged away the Munar transfer module, leaving her large, flattish heat shield exposed, and Jeb grappled on virtually dead center, first try.  The rescue vessel's main engine provided thrust to deorbit the -- well, it's not quite a stack, is it? -- joined vessels, the engine and tanks were staged away, and Jeb set things up for reentry, his module leading the way.  Despite an unavoidable slight misalignment (a few degrees tilt, a few centimeters off center), the combined reaction wheels had plenty of authority to keep the heat shields forward, and the KLAW held then the main parachutes deployed (that had been the one uncertainty in the plan), even though the combination flipped nose-down when the mains unreefed.

Gq9EEZV.png

Spoiler

X3Hexti.png

rRpn448.png

The slight misalignment is visible here -- looks bad, when one will be hitting heavy atmosphere still flying at Mach 6+, but didn't actually cause any problems.

pbJRBIM.png

If you're going to land nose-first, probably best you do it in water.  Easier on the science gear in the nose...