What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Crashed windows (by reverting flight) no i really did!

after realising that my only safe option was 1.3 decided to do stuff like launch rockets unlike my usual play style: open a text editor and code

and i jinxed it :-/

Edited by kerbinorbiter

Launching a small communication satellite: Hatsune-01 [PRELUDE DAWN]...

5BiGO6G.png

Landing a small probe on The Mun: Yui-02 [FLOATING MATERIAL] (The one with solar panels on the background is science probe, while the one on the foreground is relay lander)...

pksdCu7.png

Let's do some science...

ed6mJ4t.png

And taking Jeb to perform spacewalk using Arusu-00 [STARLIGHT DREAM]

23MWrTW.png

Lots of things to do...

Hey! This thread has 1700 pages now! Soon we'll be at 2000 pages!!!!

Today in KSP I tried to build a super-manoevrable fighter jet to hurl Sepratron missiles at the VAB. The thrust-vectoring Panther engines allowed it to turn backwards during flight, but this tended to cause asymmetrical flameouts and total loss of control. Jeb survived both times but the Potato Laptop Kraken did not like this and crashed the game twice.

But I'm getting a new laptop this week! And looking at the specs, it will be a considerable improvement over my current one.

That's a huge space station, I like the design. ;) 

I finally took a trip to Duna again, good to see that quirky red rock again.

My newly designed "Albatross" long range science vessel. It's equipped with that fancy new "Wolfhound" engine, it's almost OP, an LFO engine with an ISP of 412 seconds is just awesome. :D

UkdoZ52.jpg

Jeb took the "Rhino" lander down to grab some data for the two scientists in the lab to chew on during the trip home.

V3Vanyw.jpg

Rendezvousing with the "Albatross".

21ZRxLq.jpg

Back home with around 2km/s left in the tank, plenty margin. :D

L83DZ66.jpg

Did lots of stuff today, came back to a game I had put on hold for a while (as always, 3x rescale)

I had left off with the delivery of a ISRU module and a hub/science lab module for my surface base, so the following is the surface base story:

Spoiler

The ISRU had refueled my dropship, so it was time to send it back up to get more modules:

It really is a funky design, I made this to prove a point after somone didn't like the idea of landing mk3 cargobays vertically and then doing a controlled tipover... this design is a bit hard ot handle because of the balance:

vlmXT5a.png

It gets ready to nom-nom-nom some modules:

V59wISN.png

i4kKN42.png

Looks like they dont stick out enough, I should decouple one module from the other, not all the modules from the tug... but I didn't because... oops

lDyEqO1.png

It didn't balance right, but shfiting fuel to the rearmost tanks and not going full throttle was controllable, it could still manage a decent TWR on Mun without producing too much torque for the vernors to control, so I was able to land all the remaining modules in 1 trip instead of 2

ZGUkaFX.png

The modules deployed, and the rover assembles to have a wide track. Its a science rover, and a habitat

TcbBEnk.png

The Habitat, has water recyclers and carbon extractors, plus a big food stockpile:

tZac0Ku.png

The assembled surface base:

lezvzrk.png

Now.... I can attach the ISRU to the dropship externally, and had done so last time, but this time I drove it in the cargobay to refuel the dropship... it part clips like that of course, but it looks funny.... also when I duplicated the ISRU drills to make a water drill, I seem to have misplaced the texture for the dust that appears when drills are active, hence the weird effects... I need to go fix that:

jnmsOZF.png

But I wasn't done with the surface base yet... it is meant to supply fuel to orbit... in very large quantities:

Here comes the fuel tanker:

rSSRr42.png

BnvvUFG.png

Then I attached the base to it, so the engineers, ISRU converter, and 6 large drills can get to work filling it while the scientists churn out science (ie funds at this point in my game, so its producing fuel and funds)

GBLWzKZ.png

bR6LjAm.png

BtTgntL.png

and I was nearly done... I had a small all in one ISRU craft in orbit, ready to land and start filling up. It was from earlier in career to "bootstrap" my Mun operations before the surface ISRU and dropship were around... I landed it nearby so that the engineer could go over and help it fill up faster as well.

I8ZRgXJ.png

Munbase 1, nearly complete... I am going to send a modded greenhouse part to it, with some water drills, so I won't need to resupply the base... although I will need to relocate it to a place with water... ughhh...

rIqMUIK.png

@Geonovast It turns out that I had tweaked my science rover since taking the pics I showed earlier, when I deployed my science rover, I found that the wheels don't clip in a way that you don't like... so this should be a stock rover that can deploy from a mk3 bay that gets your seal of approval (the hab rover largely avoids these issues as well)

FQ81pgt.png

*note, those docking port jrs weren't offset, that's just how they look when you stick them on the side of an oscar tank

I had also tried to see how viable flyback boosters were in 3x, since they don't seem to have any advantage over SSTO rockets in stock KSP... but SSTO rockets aren't really viable in 3x KSP, that story here:

Spoiler

The trajectory shortly after seperation of my first attempt. The first stage was a mammoth, the 2nd stage was a mk1-3 command pod, a jumbo 64 tank, and a skipper

KkyMcWW.png

At apoapsis, I reversed my horizontal surface velocity as precisely as I could... and it worked out pretty well:

EA3Noal.png

The 2nd stage made orbit with lots of dV to spare, but not enough for a mun flyby in this 3x gameplay

oNBpAMA.png

I then did something like a falcon heavy, with 3x mammoths on the first stage. Instead of 3 skippers, I did 1 Rhino (same mass, better thrust, better Isp), and of course got better results... this could be a fully recoverable mun-flyby rocket:

BLlYn1C.png

I also did some more SSTO stuff, and had a minor incident returning a heavy cargo SSTO, also tried some IVA landings of a smaller SSTO, here:

Spoiler

So I flew up an ejector stage, for ejecting large payloads out of kerbin SOI, and onto interplanetary trajectories:

z7wgpqw.png

But I didn't manage full recovery of the SSTO... I was overshooting the landing, still going pretty fast, and I was pulling some G's to bleed speed, when a piece of the plane flew off... 1 wing section with ailerons... the rearmost control surfaces were reserved for pitch only, but I had to change that on the fly, I was able to land it, so I just went with it... it turns out that wing section + 2 control surfaces costs more than 5k funds... not a super large amount, but significant (I still spend many times more than that just on fuel, so OK)

9OWcaEk.png

Due to the poor vacuum performance of Rapiers, I thought that my spaceplanes in 3x might be improved with the use of Rhinos (I won't use OP wolfhounds). My mk3 cargobay spaceplanes without LV-Ns barely make orbit, this one made orbit with a dv of acouple hundred m/s more to spare, so I think its a success... its still a light payload. Its a module with a retextured science lab and retextured ore drills, that are now a greenhouse and water/ice drills:

Jy41PlX.png

I'm not sure if the middle wheel pair is needed, I think this could be a no clipping design

Reentry, showing the Rhino

k847xNK.png

I did the final approach in IVA mode, it went well:

OhCRaZJ.png

Edited by KerikBalm

@Geonovast Yea, they do, I wish there were a way to lock them in place and have them steer like the RoveMax Model XL3 (ie tank style steering)

To make it fully stock, I'd have to fire up KSP and remove the TAC-LS hexcans that are surface attached. I found that it handles pretty well on Kerbin, but it can easily do wheelies on Mun if you try to reverse it (assuming you have it controlling from one of the docking ports that the external command seats face)... so I may disable the motors on the front.

I suppose that I could build a similar rover using I-beams instead of 1x1 structural panels if I really really really didn't want the wheels to clip when turning

It can flip over on Mun, but its a lot more resistant than the other rovers. Those 2.5m diamaeter rovers need to be treated very carefully. above 1.5 m/s, they can flip over just doing a turn on level ground... they are very poor at roving, I consider then surface base modules, not fit to travel more than 100 meters from the dropship. That science rover on the other hand, its a decent rover, and I'd be willing to take it several km to cross biome boundaries.

Edited by KerikBalm
Added 1 thing about wheel clipping

I Bring the new KSS Crew with my new rocket, and then i tried to land on Jool im my TestWorld. but this takes very long (10 mins Timewarp x4) because the parachutes slowed down to 2.5m/s.

I set a new Physics warp, and warped 1000x into Jools surface and then this happened :D

mtBrBL7.png

I travel with Ludicrous Speed to the nothing

bdSwWKI.png

Kerbin gets dark and Pixelated Orbits

2c4Nbdc.png

This is the Space Center now :D

Edit: What the island is now there too :D

pviLiGI.png

YzmWPPE.png

Binary Orbits (what happens here?)

6HohzwV.png

All planets are now inside the Sun

Edited by SwissSpace93
i Find the Island airport

25 minutes ago, SwissSpace93 said:

I Bring the new KSS Crew with my new rocket, and then i tried to land on Jool im my TestWorld. but this takes very long (10 mins Timewarp x4) because the parachutes slowed down to 2.5m/s.

I set a new Physics warp, and warped 1000x into Jools surface and then this happened :D

mtBrBL7.png

I travel with Ludicrous Speed to the nothing

bdSwWKI.png

Kerbin gets dark and Pixelated Orbits

2c4Nbdc.png

This is the Space Center now :D

Edit: What the island is now there too :D

pviLiGI.png

YzmWPPE.png

Binary Orbits (what happens here?)

6HohzwV.png

All planets are now inside the Sun

Danny would be proud. :D

Well... I decided that it would be a good idea to speedrun my 380 meters long monster:
nJblqIzC73DD7knBf3wO5hYj4Zj8FB3N9J8npn1F

Everything was going well - 50 m/s at 170 meters high! Not bad!

But then I though it would be a good idea to raise the height a bit. Bad idea at that speed - when the nose raised about 5 to 6°, I started to get lift from the body - on the the front half of the vessel got lift to up, and the tail half got lift toward the sea!!! #facepalm
YgCf0hd0wj7XltVnQbs7ewvaMjZyr1wBNJtLMHZ-

I lowered the buoyancy to zero, but the thing kept raising her nose. Then I realized: with 380 meters long, each half has 190 meters, but I was at 170 meters high.... #facePalm²
GkBaF_ln0bylE3UvFm-AqRJHOXk7zQrQm4zUg0o5

Without thrust (as the engines were kaput) and without buoyancy, when finally the thing loose speed (and lift), she plummeted into the oceans.... #facePalm³
fVVbBsAymncqyAJSMqyJVxGe9sdWnDa-8PNUopg9

No survivors. =P I will decline on commenting the ship's crew capacity. =D
Ooq2I4BdAXGOfo3-evVTA6piQQodO0EgzWy0iZvt

I was undecided about posting this on "The Most Facepalm" thread or on the "Crimes agains Kerbin" one. So I posted here. =D

Edited by Lisias
Eternal typos from the Englishless mind...

Set foot on Duna for the first time in this career.  Initial landing was about 5km from a certain easter egg.   Jeb & Val didn't feel like being bothered with the trek & Ambera Kerman (Bob's replacement) decided she didn't feel like going.  So, Kelrik the engineer took the trip alone with just his trusty wrench.  Spent almost his entire jetpack fuel getting there & had just enough left to get a good bit of altitude before becoming the first Kerbal to sky-dive on Duna.

Crew vehicle docking with the Duna lander:

tC9qaez.png?2

Landing site & flag planting:

k1i3H0q.png?2

Hmm, what's that oddly shaped rock up there?    Jetting up to see

rpyA35h.png?2

Well, that was interesting.  Second flag planting on top of anomaly, looking back towards the lander

wgQdhtD.png?2

Spoiler

Bird's eye view of Kelrik & the face:

yLIVx7T.png?2

Para-gliding back to the lander:

ZPf1K5I.png?2

Return to orbit & waiting fuel tanker:

iZy8qRc.png?2

I finished the tray tables in the saucer's crew cabin:

OtvUs9V.png

I don't like the current design for the lavatory so that'll change a bit.

I also redesigned the Munbus to make it much more modular:

PlRzllX.png

The prototype didn't really need 3 engines, so I dropped two of them, made the fuel pods modular, and made the central tank replaceable. I can fit extra crew cabins, a cargo bay, or a mobile processing lab in place of the central tank. I also need to make a rounded variant of the hex port...