What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Sent the trio to Duna to get more science to keep the R&D boys back home busy. Jeb landed on Duna and Ike and did some experiments for Bob to chew on in the mobile lab on the way back home. The "Albatross Mk3" mothership with upgraded solar panels and now with nuclear engines performed beautifully. I'm also pleased with the new nuclear powered "Penguin Mk1" lander, not quite as agile as the old "Rhino" lander with LFO engine, but it has twice as much delta-v and can share fuel with the mothership.

In orbit around Duna:

t15DKI4.jpg

Here's the little Penguin landed on Duna ready to grab some science:

WfvchaU.jpg

But we also like Ike:

OLUfJCL.jpg

Home sweet home:

cVLJuQd.jpg

6 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

well i dont know what it is then. Hopefully you can find out eventually.

Originally, the probe core carrying a resource survey scanner in a polar orbit detected the anomaly on the extreme edge of the disk. I'm usually circumspect about investigating these as, historically, my chances of finding anything or finding anything easily aren't great. Anyway, I landed at night, warped to morning, and found that I'd come down nearly right on top of that thing.

It was quite late by the time I got the rover down and I forgot that it was carrying an illustrious rovermate probe core which supposedly has 100% anomaly detection at close range. So despite being about 200km on my way to the next anomaly which I'm guessing is Vallhenge - I've already found the green monolith - I turned around, went back and activated the rovermate.

The kerbnet scan shows no anomaly at this location. I guess this is an interesting terrain feature instead.

In this scene, an Ursa cargo plane [pictured background] has delivered a WORM [Worm Outlanding Refuel Mission vehicle] to a distressed Mink seaplane (which had gotten hopelessly lost in the dark whilst itself conducting a rescue mission to retrieve Wilson Kerman[1] from a desert island, upon which he had been stranded for about 4 years (due to the ineptitude of the KSC Rescue Mission controller (me)), kept company that long sojourn only by a basketball).

KQnIrgV.png

My larger point being that: I am discovering that sand flats near water very often make excellent potential, future Telemagic [2] hub airport sites.

[1] Yeah, the strandee was actually Matmin Kerman but everyone (including his Mom) is now calling him "Wilson".
[2] I hope to publish the proper KSP plug-in version of Telemagic in the next day or two -- for KSP 1.3.1, anyway.

Welcome home, Wilson!

Edited by Hotel26

I haven't been playing that much for a while now. But, I had a strong desire to fly something. My 1.4 career game is in a very early state but some of the best machines come from low tech solutions(and use of tweakscale). 1.25 scale junos carried this fun plane to mach 2.07 in level flight.

6EF40DEFB78468CD54864E3AB393BAE0EB022FF4

The flaps make it a little jumpy(and draggy but thats sort of the point I guess) but I can pull it off the runway at 34 m/s.

Been working on a heavy-lift Saturn V variant (25(S)U, specifically) to lob NERVA stages into orbit for a future Duna expedition:

uhK0FI1.png

And did some docking tests with a pair of NERVA stages in orbit:

kM6Q3xN.png

I'm not sure which one I like more - the orange, or the white.  Feedback desired!

I was tinkering with the missionbuilder and tested how it would be to dock a interplanetary vessel to a fuelstation. Nothing unusual in KSP.

Or is it? :sticktongue:

bpQdaeS.png

And by docking i mean docking:

JAjzIMC.png

Did anyone else manage to do this?

Edited by Mikki

Something about low tech solutions a few posts up... I made this fairly simple plane. All electric, 5 engines, and effectively self-sustaining at the cost of a bit of part count. It roll stabilizes rather nicely and the tiny tail fins, whil deployed and adjusted, make for decent finely-controlled attitude without using Trim or SAS... It can hold Mach 1 easily but it lacks in cargo capacity for holding experiments.

9sYBRW4.jpg

Spoiler

hTtMl2C.jpg

"Tourista" aka Buffalo Wings finally launched on its brief journey northward in the pursuit of science, with 4 science boxes attached. The journey should have kept on going (to the north pol, just to test the Snacks storage and to say a partial elcano was done, but I checked out at around 11 deg north (from 8.6 where the space center is). :/ Well thecrew got to spend 2 days on the road, in the water, and trek over a mountain. They even literally rolled the vehicle a few times without braking things off. But when things did break off, I hit F9. I had not yet thought about my gameplay rules concerning death and craft damage.

Technical things: It can liftoff at about 40m/s and cruise in air at near 80m/s. It can cruise in water too but then it suffers net power losses due to insufficient solar capacity.

eK2Qtfj.jpg

G3b5xfF.jpg

The crew tagged two Aurum lodes while on the ground. Small ones.

KTqrX6G.jpg

1 hour ago, mystifeid said:

Kimbro drove and drove...

Zck9sv4.png

ckb40pE.png

Until he found some suspiciously geometric ice formations on Vall...

trJ91b3.png

gPQo2n5.png

99sVw1f.png

Ah, Vallhenge!!!

But is Kimbro really a 'he'? He looks suspiciously female to me. Maybe he's transgender.

I missed my deadline for the "April Fools' Day" release of Telemagic (I guess we know who the fool is then!) but just now released Telemagic as a fully-fledged KSP plug-in, the "Spring" release of Telemagic.

So I am actually now sipping some champagne to celebrate a goal done & dusted.  :)  Actually, I have a rather long laundry list of "improvements" to it that direly need still to be made.  But I'm mainly feeling "released" to go on with other things in parallel to supporting Telemagic.

Tag-line: "Telemagic will make you believe control towers can fly!"  :)

Big thanks to JadeOfMaar, Li0n and Bewing for their intrepid assistance in making this happen!

UBLbuto.png

...depicting a BeechJet that just refueled on the refueling apron (within 30m) of Tobruk Tower, situated on the tip of the Kerbara desert to the west of KSC...

Edited by Hotel26

I've had so little time to play lately. Oh life. Decided to take the Dunabago out for a spin last night.

TE9ScFJ.png

Landed the hab near 4 biomes. I don't know how yall have the patience for Elcano challenges. 20km and I was spent.
dH4kLjz.png

Found some rocks. Good jorb, Val. 
tc1vN3j.png

Also sent out Anne Sexton, my Eve Mothership. Damn that Liberator puts out some heat.
5HlEM5c.png

Those two bombs on the side carry research and mining trucks for the surface crew.
FbQAYlh.png

Also got my first big VASIMR drive up in orbit.
caH917z.png

And my Moho lander...
acK43gt.png

Lookin pretty in pink
lXYl2vr.png

Especially at Moho I should probably power this thing with PV panels instead of a nuclear reactor, I just worry about getting caught in a night-side burn without enough batteries....

Edited by Pthigrivi

I managed to get into orbit around Moho, but now I have to send a refuelling mission because I ran out of fuel. Bloody heck.

While making the fuel ship, I found out that you can access the old parts like the stack decouplers and Mk 1-2 command pod from the advanced mode of the parts menu, by sorting according to tech level. Weirdly, they are completely visible and usable there.

Today I deployed a replica of the Herschel space observatory using my Faucon shuttle.

ufuUojA.png

Deploying telescope following orbital assembly.

ieRBw5n.png

Beauty shot on the way home.

FSNi0Mc.jpg

Approach. (Yes, I overshot and had to perform a go-around.)

YEaR6iw.jpg

And landing. Mission successful.

Mun Digger

1AB8244C8C364A4536734134468DB2B181A6D0D2

"Moon Digger" is liftingoff

14D2DC90D14FADEB380CA897D6D160F68679EA2A

It will be first our craft in Mun.

E5DF6E3609E7C90ED479E89F6E55F5EBA1F9C4BE

We are using 27 engine for liftoff. Good bye home!

FA9D4E7E4A19E2B2098BE949C197C87D8BA3FE39

We did crash landing but the craft is still working :) 

37170BE1E58ED7CF757C382B9ADB6AD2E6B63A1C

Let's start work!

6D70318E0E3D840DB77C8E8E595D8B42CD6E565F

First sunset in Mun.

E1AA8C445CD231C93C59C57CCBBE96DA1156403F

What a lovely day for dig :) 

A83F9C524F71A447F04EC707C42B2B6C1E54C88F

"Mun Digger" is sleeping for 24 hours.

It barely gets into orbit, the Nervs do absolutely nothing for some reason (you could almost say they're getting on my... nerves!) and it probably requires a lot of reworking, but today I made my very first LKO-capable spaceplane!

3EVms7I.png

As with every plane I build it looks... unusual, to say the least. And it's powered by 6 Rapiers... probably 2 too many.

But hey, it works!

26 minutes ago, Delay said:

the Nervs do absolutely nothing for some reason

Hard to tell from the angle of the picture, but it looks like the nervs are thrusting into the tail fins.  That's why they do nothing.

6 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Hard to tell from the angle of the picture, but it looks like the nervs are thrusting into the tail fins.

They do. But Nervs have no thurst vectoring. Perhaps I can move them back to where the Rapiers are.

I built something very big, very nice...

It SSTOs (like the reference thing) and runs on Spice...

Using these engines like this comes with a price...

;)

The spheres and main engines could be bigger but I can't scale stock legs any higher, and I've never needed greater legs than the stock ones.

ZX3G17h.jpg

LhxQK86.jpg yOryLZw.jpg E72D3Bi.jpg 

xZF1ini.jpg

Spoiler

1920_jessevandijk_colonyship_02.jpg?1414

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I built something very big, very nice...

It SSTOs (like the reference thing) and runs on Spice...

Using these engines like this comes with a price...

cringey rhyme detected

Edited by DeltaDizzy

8 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

the tail was not it.

Just departing the end of the runway: could this simply have been an unintentional tail-strike?  (You particularly do not want to contact the VASI lights or whatever system the runway end markers are...)

Part 1

Part 2

Finished up my mission to Duna's Polar Highlands. After over a year of living on another world, the boys planted a flag and took a group selfie before blasting off for home.

Q6eu02Z.jpg

Soi8yiG.jpg

DTRN Discovery was spotted coming around the planet about 40 minutes before rendezvous.

UXRLRZl.jpg 

Docking and crew transfer went off without incident. After undocking, KTS Saskia spreads her solar array and prepares to go into hibernation mode, waiting for the next mission to arrive from Kerbin.

tbL4Kla.jpg

The transfer burn was a little difficult to finagle due to Discovery's inclined orbit, but I managed to get a trip home for only 700 m/s.

YJt0Ms6.jpg

2yf35HD.jpg

In 3 years of playing KSP, this was the first time I've tried a manned mission outside of Kerbin's SOI using a life support mod, and it was a blast! Now that I know I can keep kerbals alive for long periods of time without support from Kerbin, the next mission will be much more ambitious. 

Edited by BadOaks