What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

6 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Doing more testing on my Pelican. It can pitch up now, buuuuuuut........

H5QfK3i.jpg

I think it's safe to conclude that Unbreakable Joints is a must from now on.

I guess 2625 parts is a bit too much for the game to handle.

That's a pretty awesome video you have there.

1 hour ago, BadOaks said:

@Kronus_Aerospace That's the most glorious RUD I think I've ever seen. Are you autostrutting every part to root/heaviest? For really big things I've had the most luck autostrutting to grandparent, as it still allows some amount of flexing and doesn't "shock" the attachment nodes so much.

Every Autostrut is done to Grandparent, this ain't my first rodeo! There are also a bunch of regular struts It's just that the thing is stupidly complex and weighs 1.7 kilotons. KSP's physics engine is simply incapable of handling it.

Also that is far from the best RUD I've gotten from this craft

sixlFHM.jpg

1 hour ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Every Autostrut is done to Grandparent, this ain't my first rodeo! There are also a bunch of regular struts It's just that the thing is stupidly complex and weighs 1.7 kilotons. KSP's physics engine is simply incapable of handling it.

Also that is far from the best RUD I've gotten from this craft

sixlFHM.jpg

We MUST have a video of this glorious mess, if you can provide one.

Did a full reentry test of the fly-by-wire (without interruptions) today. Removing the debug printouts on its own doubled the control loop cycle speed, so that's nice.

muLg4tQ.png

bGBitK1.png

VQo2BV5.png

It's really neat to see the elevons at the back deflecting down farther and farther as the angle of attack goes up.

Roll control is rather sluggish though. I need to figure out what to do about that. I might also try setting up the split-aileron airbrakes to actuate with throttle. It's annoying that they're currently either on or off. 

I think tomorrow though I'm going to do a review for the KEA challenge. I haven't done that in a while.

18 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Did a full reentry test of the fly-by-wire (without interruptions) today. Removing the debug printouts on its own doubled the control loop cycle speed, so that's nice.

Wow, thats really cool. I remember long ago seeing you on NoNameShips testing your shuttle launch script. You're going full autonomous, and still rockin the shuttle.

Just smashed Valentina and scientist kerbal into the far end of the runway while testing a rover in preparation for an attempt to circumnavigate kerbin via rover. Erm... not how I wanted to start this. On the plus side, the small bit of science they had gathered was automatically picked up by the cleanup crew.

1 hour ago, Cyrious said:

We MUST have a video of this glorious mess, if you can provide one.

Unfortunately I don't have any recording software. Not sure how well it would turn out anyway, this thing gets like 2 SPF, and the game is constantly on the brink of crashing.

Besides the actual RUD shown in that screenshot was so violent that it lasted maybe 3-4 frames. The only reason I managed to get a good screenshot is because the game froze for about 2 minutes.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

38 minutes ago, Not Sure said:

Wow, thats really cool. I remember long ago seeing you on NoNameShips testing your shuttle launch script. You're going full autonomous, and still rockin the shuttle.

Not quite fully autonomous yet. I still have to do most orbital maneuvers, and the reentry fly-by-wire is more of a pilot assistant, or advanced SAS than anything else. Basically it keeps it from flipping out due to a center of gravity behind the center of lift.

It would be really cool to have it able to land itself though. Maybe I'll get it to do that. Someday. :D

I'm doing a "no capsule landings" game, using only runway landings for crews, and sent my second manned craft design up to do some orbital surveillance...  for, uhm, science.

PcONnUY.png

Vw2KiDh.png

BzUdZgQ.png

I'm going for a 50 degree inclined orbit to get some spy pictures of the Badlands.

FnqDW2S.png

4O6Uc6v.png

Just cleaning the lens.

gpdGhnX.png

UuQxht2.png

I've photographed my target zone, but have to spend the rest of a day in orbit to bring KSC back under my groundtrack for a daytime landing.

oeV51i2.png

cRXUHsv.png

CgABcBW.png

Reentry checklist complete...  all equipment is stowed.

RAqom4X.png

Tail surfaces deployed for high-AoA attitude.

nOig0U8.png

5I7zl9s.png

ppHrgHJ.png

uXZSVJX.png

Cross-range maneuvering... my trajectory is bringing me down a little east of KSC, so I'm banking right to shift my track to the west.

1RGSUVk.png

633PSxD.png

Still going Mach 2, will continue descending on this heading to get lined up with the runway.

YyWkQ9X.png

HcZKDkH.png

Three down and locked.  Going a little fast, so I'll open the split-rudder brake.

dVmE01O.png

RfihwhJ.png

Let's get this film to the lab!

Tried to get a horribly built rocket to the Mun.

The most successful flight saw the lander stage running out of fuel 300 meters up and hit the surface at 23 m/s despite packing a few hundred m/s above the community dV map's values. Subsequent flights didn't even make it to Kerbin orbit due to my attempts at messing with the fuel supplies messing up the staging timing during circularization to the point an 80x80 maneuver node repeatedly produced a 60x100 orbit several times in a row.

...yeah, I'm pretty bad at this.

Built, flew, and successfully landed the BFR. The cargo variant, anyway...the looks of the passenger version have proven tricky to duplicate. I went with a 5m BFR and Mk3 BFS for simplicity's sake.

EuO5TFc.png 

Spoiler

The landing went fairly well. Need to reinstall FMRS to take care of the orbital insertion, etc...

UkZqoR5.png

38 minutes ago, Fraktal said:

Tried to get a horribly built rocket to the Mun.

The most successful flight saw the lander stage running out of fuel 300 meters up and hit the surface at 23 m/s despite packing a few hundred m/s above the community dV map's values

If you're gonna make horrible rockets, at least go for overkill...

HjDSZ8g.png

8 hours ago, Geonovast said:

A few days ago I decided to start a career, yet again.  Started over three times before I got the difficulty settings where I wanted.  1.4.3, basically stock.  Just KER and VAB Reorienter installed.  Gonna keep my modded install at 1.3.1 until they stop patching 1.4.

Made it much further than I usually have in career.  Actually have something on the way to the Mun.  Rather happy that I got an encounter on the first try without having manuever nodes available yet.  Did lead a bit much, but this'll work.

2cescreenshot17.png

plane built that I'm happy with.

a72screenshot18.png

Very pretty.  Love the vertical landing arrangement, too.  :)

What did you name it?

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I named it the "What Vertical Landing Arrangement"

I spy, with my little eye, at least two chutes (wing and fuselage), with symmetry indicating perhaps 3 chutes arranged in a triangular fashion, centered around the imputed location of the CoM.  They might be for stopping on the runway, but they'd also be sufficient to bring it down vertically under chutes.  I don't have my reverse-engineering monocle fitted to eyeball socket at the moment, so I could be wrong.  In any case, a beautiful aeroplane such as this has to have a much better name, Geonovast!

1 minute ago, Hotel26 said:

I spy, with my little eye, at least two chutes (wing and fuselage), with symmetry indicating perhaps 3 chutes arranged in a triangular fashion, centered around the imputed location of the CoM.  They might be for stopping on the runway, but they'd also be sufficient to bring it down vertically under chutes.  I don't have my reverse-engineering monocle fitted to eyeball socket at the moment, so I could be wrong.  In any case, a beautiful aeroplane such as this has to have a much better name, Geonovast!

Staging column shows only 2 parachutes, so I wager you need your monocle more than you might think.

3 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Oh, right!  The "Jeb-Got-Sick-Of-Dying-From-Wheel-Bounces-That-Make-No-Sense-Chutes"

They're not really meant to be used for landing, just if the gear got ripped off during landing, which is way, way too easy to do.

And it's only two chutes, the stuff on the fuselage is a KER chip, thermometer and barometer.

I thought you were assuming it could land on its tail (Which I should try...)

Edited by Geonovast

4 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

if the gear got ripped off during landing, which is way, way too easy to do

@DeltaDizzy also. Thank you both for the correction!  (Can't say I am at all familiar with Science parts, either!)

Yes, those wheels are very, very tempting.  I recently rev-eng'ed a Long-EZ with the strutted versions.  And...  promptly replaced them with retrac...  Sooo treacherous.