What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Started the first crewed mission to Dres - Project DIVA F (Designing Interplanetary Vehicle Architecture - Fission propulsion)

>10 minute burn with the Negi Maru spaceship

famue4G.png

Dres encounter after a course correction

piOP1tB.png

Mun SEP base done! looks like playing stationeers :) (don't look at the reversed lander, it's normal)

screenshot11.png

Nice SEP solar panels, and over 17000 EC charge..

screenshot12.png

screenshot13.png

good morning Bob (after an hour spent puting this lander the right way)

screenshot15.png

Even in Vessel Viewer, love it!

screenshot17.png

4 hours ago, GeneralMDBK said:

Here is the outpost

Nice, cute little base!

Dicking around in IVA view for the most part. I really love the flight instruments, but I don't like how you can't check fuel levels or interact with the ship without using action groups among other small things.

EDIT: Making maneuvers in space! 3:<

Anyone else use IVA as much as possible? :3 I'm addicted; landing is so fun! (I have no fingernails left.)

Edited by MisterKerman
Forgot

With the contract counter about to add a fourth digit, Jebdock nervously supervises ore transfer on Duna. In its haste to reach this milestone, the KSA had only recently accepted and completed it's very first tourist contract. Tourists. Who needs 'em.

uhAupO6.png

The ore is going to Ike but first some liquid fuel and maybe some other liquids as well...

QxvuFyP.png

By crikey, they did it. 1000 contracts.

KNP68St.png

All in 1.41 and 1.43.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:25 PM, MisterKerman said:

Dicking around in IVA view for the most part. I really love the flight instruments

Me too! love it!

but I don't like how you can't check fuel levels or interact with the ship without using action groups among other small things

But wait action groups work on IVA for me, do you use ASET avionics? Otherwise, you can configure them as describe by alexstusas: " You can mark up action button switches with text by entering it into the vessel description in the VAB: On a separate line type "AG<number>=<text>" where "number" is the number of action group from 0 (i.e. 10) to 9. The text is limited to 14 characters. (More won't fit on the label.) " hope it helped

EDIT: sorry this is just to configure the visible text under the switch. :)

Anyone else use IVA as much as possible? :3

Ye! I did an (almost) complete career with IVA (no map view, just some external view to enjoy time to time), and with Trough the Eyes of Kerbal (1st person EVA). :)

Edited by kurgut

1 hour ago, kurgut said:

But wait action groups work on IVA for me, do you use ASET avionics?

Naw I play stock. I just meant action groups are the only way to interact with your ship in IVA. I haven't cared enough to bother with them; I just exit IVA to interact. And that still doesn't help with knowing how much fuel you have left or whether or not you've completed a burn for a maneuver.

I'll break down and mod KSP one day...

Edited by MisterKerman

9 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Wow, a one degree AoA. And I thought it was bad having to use 3 degrees at times.

Actually, the second set of pictures 1degree AoA is turned off. The reason is that when it was turned on, I didn't make it to orbit.

I did a tourist and Flag planting contract on Minmus, and tried to start my trans-Moho injection burn for my Grand Tour, since my original vessel ran out of fuel during orbital insertion.

WHEN CAN I LAND ON THIS CHUNK OF ROCK ITS TAKEN UP 4 WEEKS OF MY LIFE HELP

Today I.....totally failed to dock my station module to the core module.

A small RCS tug was used to remove the habitation module from shuttle orbiter Chaldeavour's cargo bay, then I attempted to move it round to the end port to dock the module to the station. But when I released the Klaw, it released much more forcefully than I was expecting, sending the tug and module rotating. Timewarp fixed that, but I ran into another problem: I klawed the tug to the module slightly skewiff, and this resulted in more than 20 attempted docking manoevres, which all failed.

Eventually I terminated the shuttle and tug/module combo in a fit of frustration. I think an alternative module delivery system is required :mad:;.;

Haven't played today or yesterday (just had my 2nd to last final today!), but I did play some on Saturday + Sunday. Not gonna spoil a future chapter too much, but I landed one of our last Iotian landers to fulfill a contract. Hopefully soon we will set our probe sights towards Ceti, and soon land some manned landings on Iota!

1e18wMj.png

21 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Since my Pelican is a cargo aircraft, today I decided to make it usable as one by adding a cargo bay door mechanism, admittedly it is a bit excessive.

VgO9RBX.jpg

But hey! Maybe you need to transport a 747 or something, this craft is totally practical.

First you build a rocket with 1000 Spark engines on it and fly it to Duna, then you make a 10000 part behemoth of a cargo plane powered by four stock propellers and with a working cargo door.

Kronus_Aerospace, do you ever plan to use KSP as it was intended?? :P

4 hours ago, MisterKerman said:

Naw I play stock. I just meant action groups are the only way to interact with your ship in IVA. I haven't cared enough to bother with them; I just exit IVA to interact. And that still doesn't help with knowing how much fuel you have left or whether or not you've completed a burn for a maneuver.

I'll break down and mod KSP one day...

Yes ok understand. You know if you enjoy IVA playing, you should try the aset /RPM mods, they're just awesome, check some videos on youtube, with them you have full control of your vessel, monitors with all infos displayed, externals cams, attitude, docking assistance, target, vessel view, map, ressources, etc,  you have action groups accessibles, all all all just amazing. That's when I first installed them that then I spent all my time in IVA view :)

2 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Yes ok understand. You know if you enjoy IVA playing, you should try the aset /RPM mods, they're just awesome, check some videos on youtube, with them you have full control of your vessel, monitors with all infos displayed, externals cams, attitude, docking assistance, target, vessel view, map, ressources, etc,  you have action groups accessibles, all all all just amazing. That's when I first installed them that then I spent all my time in IVA view :)

Definitely. Maybe it's time to be fully immersed. That first person EVA mod sounded really interesting as well.

Performance drain?

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Today I.....totally failed to dock my station module to the core module.

A small RCS tug was used to remove the habitation module from shuttle orbiter Chaldeavour's cargo bay, then I attempted to move it round to the end port to dock the module to the station. But when I released the Klaw, it released much more forcefully than I was expecting, sending the tug and module rotating. Timewarp fixed that, but I ran into another problem: I klawed the tug to the module slightly skewiff, and this resulted in more than 20 attempted docking manoevres, which all failed.

Eventually I terminated the shuttle and tug/module combo in a fit of frustration. I think an alternative module delivery system is required :mad:;.;

Yea, that can be really tricky. Sorry you're having problems. Lately I've been designing the final positioning stage and the module as a single craft separated by a decoupler set to zero force. Then I balance my RCS around this combined system - likely meaning there'll be some RCS thrusters on the station module. This makes it pretty easy to manage the docking. If you're using KIS/KAS you can send a Kerbal out to detach the RCS thrusters if you don't need them and want to lower part count.

21 minutes ago, MisterKerman said:

Definitely. Maybe it's time to be fully immersed. That first person EVA mod sounded really interesting as well.

Performance drain? 

Yees, you need this (install via CKAN/ manually), all dependend mod are listed:

And the best, the IVA enhancement packs:

And this you have just to keep the mk1 command pod:

And finally for 1st person EVA it's Trough The Eyes of Kerbal

And for unmanned/probes, you have ProbeControlRoom

That's it, hope you'll have great time!

And no  performance drain as I saw :)

Edited by kurgut

Not actually today, but I further developped my kOS Airplane autopilot. It now has a nice GUI, but don't be fooled, the only functions implemented are speed, heading and vertical speed hold. Altitude and navigation functions are still to be implemented.

PID settings must be tuned for each aircraft and are saved individually for each vessel. Upon running the script the configuration is loaded and the PIDs are initialized. If no configuration is present, a default file is used.

YbJif5D.png

I will continue the development later. Right now I am doing anomaly contracts on the mun. My cash return in this career is low, so I have to tacke this kind of contract. I designed a stupid and  lightweight vessel which was able to visit the mun archs for a contract. Now that the mission is accomplished it has returned to Kerbin, but since it cannot reenter and land it is waiting for rescue on a 150km orbit. I must hurry, since life support is an issue! Below is a pic of the vessel landed on the Mun.

t2Rx6k7.png

:)

3 minutes ago, kerbonara said:

Not actually today, but I further developped my kOS Airplane autopilot

Niiice man, keep going! 

Final goal, KOS automatic for ssto launch to rendez vous?

I did something I've never actually done before - SSTO'd tourists to Minmus.  My Pumera SSTO has plenty of dV to orbit either Kerbin moon unrefuelled, I've just never gotten a convenient (ie Kerbin, Minmus and/or Mun orbit, no landings) tourist contract this late in career before.  As always, it's performance was great.   Edit:  I forgot, I also picked up two stranded kerbonauts in LKO before heading off to Minmus.

Approaching Minmus:

FzWE5bg.png?2

Reentry, my orbit had about a 3* inclination, so I'm coming in just south of the mountains near KSC, otherwise positioning was perfect.  Normal flight resumed just barely southwest of the mountains.

jjy9h7I.png?2

Extended, somewhat angled base leg to landing at KSC:

uf7inXJ.png?2

Landing roll with some help from the drogue chutes after I floating half the runway length.

dxHE2iI.png?2

Edited by Cavscout74

The Terrier-less Mun lander I mentioned a few days ago? I finally got it working properly. Just needed a monster of a first stage (4 SRBs, 2 Swivels and 2 Reliants) and me to realize that holding back the central engine (a Reliant since by that point, I'm deep enough into the gravity turn to not need active steering) everything else is radially attached to as a second stage would give me nearly enough dV to reach orbit (~3000 m/s) without using up too much of the lander stage's fuel (since if I use too much, it's gonna be a one-way trip). Even so, the lander ended up with less than 4 units of fuel by the time it landed - and still tipped over despite touching ground at only 4 m/s due to the still fully-fueled return stage on top making it too tall and top-heavy.

Reached Kerbin reentry with 180 m/s remaining. So... yeah. The design works, but has a very little margin of error.