What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally got Kerbals on Laythe in my current career.  Had a quick rendezvous in orbit to transfer Val & Ambera over to the Pumera, then another quick rendezvous to pick up a stranded Kerbal for a rescue contract - Flooyd Dynamics is still being evasive on how they got a Kerbal to Laythe orbit the same time I did - then entry & landing by my Lancer-Laythe ground station for refueling & a break from zero-g for a while.

Atmospheric entry with Vall on the horizon:

bs7bRnd.png?2

Actually undershot the target, so a little high-altitude cruise was in order:

9aLS588.png?2

Mandatory flag planting where my landing roll finally ended:

C5Bo5YO.png?2

Refueling ops:

7DVOns9.png?2

Home sweet home for the next I haven't even checked how long yet:

VusYOMd.png?2

I built Munbus 3 (Munbus 2 went to the Mun) with a logistics module and used it to move most of Minmus Base over to the Lesser Flats:

6phzhVw.png

I have just one more trip to make, then I can mothball Minmus Base in favor of the growing Lesser Flats Refinery.

An armada has arrived at Eeloo. Zelzor straps the nitrous to the rover and takes it for a 60km spin to complete a contract...

SfHpjbB.png

...before refuelling the nitrous tanks.

2IbAdrq.png

The next morning Zelzor opens up the wrong (or right) valve...

0qUxdEw.png

... and hits a 41km Ap

g7v57Md.png

Textbook landing with two drops of fuel remaining - after 50 attempts.

uHOuOqD.png

What was that thing in the distance.

0H3OOH4.png

Was updating some old craft files (yeah, still), when I stumbled across an old roadster that I made way back when:

z9vvpYw.png

Armed with the ability to deploy parachutes from command seats, and some fond childhood memories, I knew what had to be done.

Behold, Not-Quite Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

D7G6moz.png

Had I better building skills, Kerbie the Love Bug would be next on my list.

EDIT:  And had another flash of inspiration...

8eib3X7.png

Edited by MattJL

I built a large passenger aircraft, testing it, and then kraken shows up mid-flight. The craft is shaking and becoming uncontrollable before it explodes

Though to be honest, I do use a lot of part clipping on it, so I guess that's the problem

Edited by ARS

I made the third and final trip to Minmus Base:

cffRcGO.png

After pulling all the modules, I then mothballed the remaining craft so that BARIS won't try to break them:

ghcbuQZ.png

They're not usable and they've been drained of resources, but you can pull them out of mothballs if needed in the future. At this point, it's just one more hop back to the Lesser Flats Refinery to re-assemble the new additions. The Mk2 Munbus is proving her worth. Once I get the additions completed, I'll build a mining module for the Munbus and send it on a trip to mine some blutonium...

I did some more testing of my Kraken V heavy-lift launch vehicle. I decided to see how far it could get in a straight-up launch. As the second stage burned through (5 Skiff engines) I got a polar encounter with the Mun completely by accident. I got to 300 km before I ran out of fuel. Screenshot below:

QLXzBDt.png

As I beat my record time up there (roughly 45 mins in-game time)the Mun gave me a nice little kick, pushing my solar apoapsis up to a whopping 11,000,000,000 metres. It'll reach there in roughly 11 (Kerbin) years.

I also did a little more work on my drone VTOL. As nice as it is to be able to travel at almost Mach 3, I decided to swap out the afterburning jet for a Wheesley as it has thrust-reversal, which is very useful for vertical landings!!!

Tomorrow I plan to continue the build of my LKO station in my 'serious business' save game. :)

@Angel-125 Your post cloned itself for some reason :P

Edited by RealKerbal3x

I had my first ever probe enter Sarnus' SoI.  Of course its like 70 days till I get near the actual planet or its moons, so no pics yet.  I think I can pick out a teeny tiny smudge when I point prograde that might be Sarnus.  Hopefully I'll get close enough for pics tonight.

Sent up this very kerbal thing to go dock with a station around Iota.

7tBPxuP.png

Which it failed to do because the modded klaw on the back failed to grapple. Maybe I just don't understand how it works, maybe it's because my target is Tweakscaled to 1000%, and maybe in all fairness, I should know better than to run missions the long way before using a part for the first time because this is a thing that happens a lot in KSP. Either way, I reverted, swapped it for a regular klaw, cheated the vessel into place and tested it within a couple of minutes; which worked on the 2nd bump. Will re-run the launch tomorrow with the now working grappler unit.

Edited by eddiew

On 6/5/2018 at 6:29 PM, kurgut said:

Niiice man, keep going! 

Final goal, KOS automatic for ssto launch to rendez vous?

Thank you! Can't say it is a final objective, but hat would be great (still a long way though). Probably I will try an automatic landing before this.

Yesterday I made a small shuttle to rescue bring Val back home as said in previous post. Everything was looking good. Rendezvous went well:

yAISLQB.png

Approach went smooth, but I noticed the shuttle was not very stable...

hqzsPct.png

Touched down and... I lost control. One can say it was a good landing though. Problem was that I still had too much fuel...

q9YxqSN.png

19 minutes ago, kerbonara said:

Probably I will try an automatic landing before this.

Yes it's more the normal (progressive) way :)

18 minutes ago, kerbonara said:

Touched down and... I lost control. One can say it was a good landing though. Problem was that I still had too much fuel...

Cute mini shutlle you have there!

For me it's Realism Overhaul time, with the new RP-1, sooo difficult!

My Sarnus-Quetzel probe arrived in the Sarnus system, performed a 500km flyby of Slate then entered Sarnus orbit & jettisoned the transfer stage.  All systems checked out good & a large stream of science info was transmitted back to KSC.

Shots as I approached, from about 20 days out until Slate fly-by:

Wwe93pk.png?2EM8mKHq.png?2

Rings clearly visible:

tZ8NdDb.png?2

Approaching Slate for fly-by:

pdYKBfL.png?2

After Slate flyby, nearing Pe:

pjtPBns.png?2

At Ap, after jettisoning transfer stage:

q98bJmA.png?2

8 hours ago, eddiew said:

Sent up this very kerbal thing to go dock with a station around Iota.

7tBPxuP.png

Which it failed to do because the modded klaw on the back failed to grapple. Maybe I just don't understand how it works, maybe it's because my target is Tweakscaled to 1000%, and maybe in all fairness, I should know better than to run missions the long way before using a part for the first time because this is a thing that happens a lot in KSP. Either way, I reverted, swapped it for a regular klaw, cheated the vessel into place and tested it within a couple of minutes; which worked on the 2nd bump. Will re-run the launch tomorrow with the now working grappler unit.

That's my favorite ship ever

Edit: Also, just made this to test out my new IVA mods you suggested. Wish me luck! I'm not a coputer whiz.

bU2Kzrs.jpg

Double Edit: I have already encountered problems...

IYpx8Lr.jpg

The MK1-3 replaces the MK1-2 command pod, which was the one I planned to use the most. That will probably bug me too much to use the mod for what it's worth to me, but I appreciate the suggestions. It looks like I'll probably keep playing stock for now. The instruments are adequate enough for me to land planes and landers confidently.

@kurgut

Edited by MisterKerman

I troubleshot a part that I'm making from scratch (it was quite tedious, to put it elegantly).

Then I misused Kerbal Flying Saucers some more :D and built a concept station. It would be far more effective traveling and drilling asteroids but I wanted to give attention to the rather beautiful exo harvester. And I intend this design to sit in orbit of a planet or moon with Graviolium and other manned bases or stations in its SOI.

At the end of the build it gained the codename "Magneton" as it just happens to resemble the Pokemon with the same name. :P 

s1mKuzd.png

HxLnFEt.png C4roFwB.png YkMb9U9.png

Ohhhh dear. This thing is gonna trip some people's OCD. Don't tell me! I see it!

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I re-assembled the remaining elements of Minmus Base at the Lesser Flats Refinery:

zSflYsv.png

I'm currently in the process of printing up some more components to finish up the initial base. Once that's done, I'll expand it with more drilling and refining modules...

My KSP morning was mostly one of total frustration.  I did manage to land my Duna mining rover reasonably close to my existing base, and got a nice shot of my Sarnus probe at periapsis, passing under the rings.  The rest of the morning was primarily frustration & reloading saves - which isn't allowed on hard career, but when the game decides to randomly fling bases & rovers into the sky, it's time to ignore that rule.

So, the visual high point of my KSP session: Quetzel-Sarnus passing below the rings:

DTOfOrS.png?2

And the operational high point of my morning.  The mining rover also carries a claw that I had hoped would be capable of snatching my Duna lander & moving it closer to the base - the last landing was over 5km off target, and I'm sure that won't be the last time.  So once I got it landed, I filled up its storage tanks for ballast in the rear, then drove up & successfully grabbed the lander & started driving it (sloooowwwwwwwwlllllllllyyyyyyyyy) the 5km to Lancer-Duna base.  Going up hills, I couldn't get over 1-2 m/s on the shallow ones, and the steep ones had to be driven around.   Of course, once I got close, Lancer-Duna decided it's drill module was crashing into terrain - first "boom" of the morning.  So I load the save from when I started driving the rover/lander combo & try again.  This time the crew rover decides to slide into the base for no good reason & second boom.  Then third & fourth.  Fifth time's the charm I guess.

g6L8uEq.png?2

After nearly 2 hours of unnecessary drama on Duna, I launched a new batch of trainees to Minmus for xp.  I was so happy nothing else blew up, I snapped a shot of the jettisoned LES & first stage as I was turning for the circularization burn.  And as I'm posting this, I remember that I had meant to send them to Mun orbit first before going on to a Minmus landing.  And the transfer stage that will get jettisoned for landing has the fuel needed to go to both moons.  So I guess my frustrating KSP morning didn't end when I thought it did.

UCuqW6k.png?2