What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Pseudo Skylon C2 with clipped wing panels to give it proper lift and elegant use of TweakScale in a couple of other places. In addition to this I created and have been testing the non-existing Rapier patch in this mod: 

It's really nice except the Rapier startup sound never plays. I linked it correctly in the config. :/ 

This plane performs very, very nicely. I may put this on KerbalX once I'm done, as it's all stock too (except the scaling of course..and good luck getting that airplane tail wing to survive the heat if I keep it in).

Honeyview_screenshot250.jpg Honeyview_screenshot251.jpg

Wow, I was pretty productive today.

First, I finished cartography scans of Eve and Gilly.

I also (finally) got my 7-year-old, Jool-bound probe there! I'm so happy! Now, time to do some science... though this is in sandbox mode...

Now, since you can barely call the day "ended", I'm looking at delivering my SCANsats to Duna and Ike, and starting cartography scans there too.

Edit: Yup, finished off cartography scans for Duna and Ike. I also set up a KAC alarm, for Kerbin to Dres- I'm aiming to send kerbals there for the first time.

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

18 hours ago, DJWyre said:

You can have your Scatterer and you Visual Enhancement mods, the stock game can be beautiful....

cCBc6lA.png

It is really beautiful, but it's not actually a stock game if you've modded it  :)

My Sarnus-Voyager probe managed to get fly-by's of 4 of the Sarnian moons so far.  Didn't have time to figure out a Hale intercept yet.

Tekto Fly-by, didn't get very close on this one.  This Voyager is stuck with the Quetzel-style RTG's since the Voyager-style ones weren't researched when the Sarnus launch window was available

Xsz5PJ3.png?2

Slate got a pretty close fly-by - ~18km in fact

W5XPDd3.png?2

Close up to Ovok.  Apparently Eeloo wasn't worth a screenshot today,  Maybe being downgraded to a moon made it camera shy.

W6baPQn.png?1

Darn it @Cavscout74 your screenshots make me want OPM even more! Hopefully when I have the skills to get out there I’ll be able to install it l.

I messed around more with Falcon rockets and stock propellers. Neither really worked. I should probably get back to building my space station tomorrow.

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Darn it @Cavscout74 your screenshots make me want OPM even more! Hopefully when I have the skills to get out there I’ll be able to install it

Well, in another year & 116 days, my Sarnus Cassini-Huygens should arrive in Sarnus SoI, followed 70 or so days later by reaching the inner system.  Then the first two Urlum probes should arrive in almost 6 years & 10 years.  Neidon & Plock Voyagers will be getting there in 19 & almost 33 years respectively.  So you've got plenty to look forward to.  I'm quite looking forward to dropping the Huygens lander on Tekto.

Oh, and to tide you over - flyby images of Hale:

Approaching from above Sarnus' rings

OYZ8dyn.png?2

Hale itself

aeS25ln.png?2

Firing the SRB to raise the Pe to a more moon-free orbit after completing all fly-bys

krOSGuc.png?2

Edited by Cavscout74

Preliminary testing of the Beli Rumbler.

oV5xiT4.jpg

First impressions very positive. Seats up to 5, cruises at 30m/s powered by a small Near Future reactor with decades of lifespan. Kerbal Foundry medium wheels do a really good job of keeping this thing vertical despite jumps and hairpin cornering. Cockpit from Airplane plus provides excellent visibility, and the central hub from Station Parts Expansion Redux provides top and bottom docking ports, around which the whole thing is balanced to within 1 kNm of torque.

Tomorrow's goal will be a skycrane that can carry this beastie with at least 3000m/s at 0.3 TWR. And manoeuvre it into docking at the end. Which might actually be quite challenging...

Finally unlocked the ramjet engine ^_^

MQ6dcsP.png

ki1dO1s.png

oSdTcPk.png

I still haven't gone beyond Kerbin yet, I've made orbit, but still need to go to the Mun and beyond.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:11 PM, Jett_Quasar said:

Tie Brute

XkjpgpA.png

This picture is now my new wallpaper.

:rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

:o

Today I decided to do some testing with my Pelican in order to determine its payload capacity. So far the largest load I've put into it is 730 tonnes, which equates to 9 of the largest 3.75m tanks. Considering that the real pelican was supposed to be able to carry payloads of 1200 tonnes, 730 tonnes is honestly not that far off.

a7W5GFW.jpg

4IPPC9K.jpg

It had sufficient thrust, but some tweaking to the aerodynamics was required to get the thing to take off, Its top speed was reduced from 62 m/s to 57-58 m/s. Such a small performance decrease is honestly quite impressive when one considers the fact the test payload is 40% of the craft's own mass; this really demonstrates how drag is the biggest limiting factor. I will obviously try to push the payload mass as high as possible.

KMMkHX6.jpg

A ton of work has also been done one the cargo bay door mechanism, including the addition of a cargo ramp. This has pushed the part count to over 2800 and the various mechanisms of this craft are far from complete. If I can keep this under the 3000 mark I will be very surprised.

7 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

Well, in another year & 116 days, my Sarnus Cassini-Huygens should arrive in Sarnus SoI, followed 70 or so days later by reaching the inner system.  Then the first two Urlum probes should arrive in almost 6 years & 10 years.  Neidon & Plock Voyagers will be getting there in 19 & almost 33 years respectively.  So you've got plenty to look forward to.  I'm quite looking forward to dropping the Huygens lander on Tekto.

Oh, and to tide you over - flyby images of Hale:

Approaching from above Sarnus' rings

OYZ8dyn.png?2

Hale itself

aeS25ln.png?2

Firing the SRB to raise the Pe to a more moon-free orbit after completing all fly-bys

krOSGuc.png?2

Just contemplating the difficulty of doing a full Voyager flyby of Jool, Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon....

:0.0:

20 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Just contemplating the difficulty of doing a full Voyager flyby of Jool, Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon....

:0.0:

Check out FlyByFinder. Tho I’m not sure if it works with upscaled systems. 

7 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

Neidon & Plock Voyagers will be getting there in 19 & almost 33 years respectively

Dang, son! :o Is that stock scale or like 6.4?

I spent my play time last night reinstalling my 1.3.1/RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia setup -- and it was worth it.  Remote Tech and KSC Switcher have resolved their differences, and I can get connection to my spacecraft, both on the pad and up at (at least) 100 km altitude over Canaveral and White Sands.  Still need to fiddle with parts packs; the procedural Avionics and most of the procedural tanks don't seem to have made the transition, though I do, now, have the self-shaping procedural fairings I couldn't get to show in the other install.

I built and test-flew a modified SSTO.  In my current career, all my crewed Jool missions have been performed by "largish" crew cycler ships which need interface vehicles at both ends of the journey.  So far, all three in use have launched with their outbound crews, and my Pumera SSTO has served as the interface vehicle around Laythe.  Now that the first crew is heading back home, I decided I should design a crew shuttle to dock with it & take the crew back to KSC.  I started designing a new SSTO, and halfway through realized it almost looked like my Pumera design.  So I scrapped it, loaded my Pumera & stuck a 10-seat crew cabin, docking port & monoprop tank in place of the cockpit, short crew cabin & cargo bay.  Other than needing some RCS tweaks and adjusting fuel flow priorities - it was getting nose-heavy on landing - the new design was a complete success - launched to LKO, docked with an orbital fuel dump, undocked & rendezvoused with a lost kerbal for contract, then brought him home to KSC.

Climb to orbit.

JAKh8n5.png?2

In LKO, preparing to fine tune the fuel dump rendezvous:

IukfswY.png?2

Docking with the fuel depot.  One of the RCS problems was the inability to translate up effectively after I forgot to put any RCS on the bottom rear.  I had to roll 180 degrees several times while fine-tuning the docking approach. 

nTzehho.png?2