What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After a moment of panic, the crew discovers an effective way to arrest their unwanted momentum...

dqJclI9.jpg

However, forward progress with the dropship attached is glacial, so after a brief moment of amusement they look for a decent place to park it. Locating a very gentle 1 degree incline, the legs are reconfigured and the rover detached.

QlGUeUS.jpg

The terrain around their highlands landing is rough, but the advanced Kerbal Foundries wheels thrive on the challenge, finding grip where there isn't any and keeping to a steady 35m/s even over the toughest inclines.

Also it turns out that that little viewing port has a science experiment. Did not even know that but glad to have it!

Also, after... some years... of KSP... I discovered that you can aim the camera away from the active vessel with the middle mouse button... The crew were impressed by this discovery.

tn5OyzZ.jpg

(But really, who configures the middle mouse to do anything in a game? Everyone has scroll wheels, nobody presses middle mouse :huh:)

Just returned from a survey mission, I love this plane, simple, smooth, fast.

JP8yHvP.png

Saving up for the RAPIER engine :cool:

EqSG93c.png

Fqf8Kwr.png

Things to do . . .

bAVHJeU.png

Still haven't been going to the Mun yet, only orbited Kerbin.

21 days into career mode. &)

Edited by Triop

In addition to getting the Eve lander & crew on their way, my Meridani-Draco (aka Cassini-Huygens) arrived around Tekto finally, so my first lander on an outer planet is in place:  Unlike Huygens, I stuck a small RTG on my Draco to provide longer life.

Meridani preparing to jettison the Draco lander:

Va43cC2.png?2

Meridani-Sarnus zipping through its periapsis around Tekto

kIMHckk.png?2

Draco on its first pass through the upper reaches of Tekto's atmosphere

JLXliuK.png?2

Draco descending to the surface.  I think I managed to get the least interesting terrain to land in though.

19bHkYL.png?2

Nearing the surface, down to 0.7 m/s descent rate.  Maybe I should've packed the smaller 'chute.

MLMtVht.png?2

Landed on a hillside, just in time for the Meridani to go over the horizon & loss comm signal.  Had to wait for the next orbit to send surface science

9mi7yHr.png?2

Meridani coming around in low Tekto orbit again:

apSc270.png?2

Today................ I really did it this time. I did some work on my newest SSTO, which is designed to carry a 3000 ton payload into LKO. This SSTO is far beyond anything I've ever built or ever thought possible. Weighing in at about 9 kilotons and having over 1500 parts, 416 of which are engines. I can proudly say that I have finally built an SSTO that could actually carry the Saturn V into orbit.

5GgwoIc.jpg

oqTuX6i.jpg

bFJBXrz.jpg

I think my favorite part of this craft is the engine array, or the "Great Wall of R.A.P.I.E.R.s" as I like to call it.

28 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

I think my favorite part of this craft is the engine array, or the "Great Wall of R.A.P.I.E.R.s" as I like to call it.

I am glad that copy pasting a part also copies the AG assignments as well! :D

31 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

. I can proudly say that I have finally built an SSTO that could actually carry the Saturn V into orbit.

Think I need a download for this insanity. I'm not going to even ask why it exists,  just accept it.

9 minutes ago, kerbonara said:

I am glad that copy pasting a part also copies the AG assignments as well! :D

Agreed, if I had to go through each one individually... Just no.  :0.0:

9 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Think I need a download for this insanity. I'm not going to even ask why it exists,  just accept it.

Probably gonna be a while before it's finished, but I'm definitely putting it up for download once it's done. If I survive having to fly this thing that is. :confused:

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

9 hours ago, eddiew said:

However, forward progress with the dropship attached is glacial, so after a brief moment of amusement they look for a decent place to park it.

TZPjh1n.jpg

I know I’ve seen that look somewhere before...

Ah, yes...

Spoiler

25btkXf.jpg

<_<

3 hours ago, Hotaru said:

Made a "successful" SSTO landing 

...any landing you can walk away from... -_-

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

Today, I managed to break my Mk II control panel. No more KSP until I have something to replace it. ;.;

Longer story: For a while, parts of the panel had been failing, so I needed to repair of replace it. The project has progressed at a speed that would envy a snail, mostly because I was conflicted on the software side. While KSPSerialIO is rock solid, it offers some data I do not need, and does not offer some that I want. The tempting offer is kRPC, that can send almost any data, but requires you to code your own client to communicate with the Arduino:o, preferably in Python :0.0: in which I never have done anything in before.

Well, I manage to set up a simple client. To test, I just send an integer variable to the Arduino. My 7-seg display does not display the integer, and 7-segs are a poor choice for writing out anything as they are highly sensitive to the input being correct. Thus, I take one of my 4x20 LCD's from the control panel to display whatever the Arduino has read from the serial port. The connector to this particular display is a female header soldered to a small piece of circuit board and then a four lead wire soldered to that. When I took it out, the connector slowly drops to the 200 W PSU I had scavenged from a computer to supply ample 5 V current to various LEDS. More precisely, the solder points come into contact with the metal on the casing, creating a short circuit. Shortly after, the unmistakable stench of overheating electronics start spreading in our living room, and when I figure out what the cause is, the PSU is dead and we have to ventilate the room for hours before my wife can enter  - she really hates the smell.

Fortunately, I have a couple of spare scavenged PSU's, and the next version will have it placed in a separate shielded unit to avoid repeat mistakes. The client is now able to send integers when the Arduino has emptied its buffer, and I have learned a lot of Python.

Well, besides being a good idea, I realized that blimps capable of carrying on some missions are terribly expensive - so cost ineffective.

Kq3lOPxgOM0EkrXp42tnMcVNTnXXI1UvD72Lxn01

So, I had to spend some Science on the R&D as my missions was being severely impact by the lack of better engines. Once I had access to these engines, the very first thing I did was to upgrade my current biplanes - they already are field proven, after all.

So, my Long Range Explorer was given a care. Double power on the Piston Engines, and 4 pairs of Junos for a extra kick (and a payload compartment). No bad!

vILFDDke3QS2qeyi_DPzFYETSSPhYEI08zzCEYOK

Twice the fuel consumption, but more than twice the max altitude and almost twice the speed at the aircraft service ceiling! :) And I always can shutdown the Junos and save fuel for long trips and still get a very decent cruising speed and tremendous range (assuming the crew would not kill themselves due the terrible cockpit conditions :P ).

At sea level, the huge amount of thrust even allows a ballistic climbing (yeah, TWR 1.09!), and as the fuel is consumed on the journey and she's becoming lighter, I expect her to be able to get enough altitude for some stalled missions while I cook up a proper high altitude aircraft.

Edited by Lisias
bad grammar. (sigh)

On 6/17/2018 at 6:30 PM, Cavscout74 said:

I started building & testing my first Eve crew lander.  I've been to Eve before, but it was using a design I downloaded from Kerbalx.  After some tweaking in sandbox, it seems to be good now.

I got to Eve this morning, got the courageous Jebmond the engineer loaded into the Eve lander....  and promptly burned him up in the atmosphere.  As it turned out, I sort of forgot one teeny tiny little thing - batteries.  I had an RTG to recharge the batteries in the Mk 1 pod and a small stack battery, but not enough extra batteries were installed, and the constant use of reaction wheels to keep lined up during entry drained them & allowed the lander to turn sideways.  RIP Jebmond.  There was a reason I sent a freshly rescued crewman instead of one of my 5-stars.  Engineers at KSC are in work refining the lander design - extra batteries and I think larger grid fins will help as well. 

Edited by Cavscout74

Increasingly epic road trip... 

Dnd9aI0.jpg

Grannus seems so much more ominous when it's hanging around the horizon.

And then I hit the wrong button and deleted the entire frikking imgur album because the popup looks exactly like the confirmation to delete a single image. (25 minutes later, finally restored. At least it was only the album, not the images in it. Really imgur, why do the two dialogs look the same? And why are you using dialogs when they are the number 1 UX sin?)

Edited by eddiew

Still not enough techpoints for the RAPIER (643.4 points now, need 1000)

But as soon as I have it I will rebuild my old SSTO :ph34r:

EQSAgLs.png

Edit, o, and this one too :

GrIF8ko.png

Sorry, looking at some old screenshots ^_^

phdLT48.png

Edited by Triop

Proved that squat-to-dock actually works! I'm seriously thinking about whether I can make a surface fuel refinery and delivery mechanism based on this model.

Ca6Miiv.jpg

M2DCpqq.jpg

Briefly considered processing the Belisama data at the Anemone's lab, but then realised it would end up being somewhere in excess of 30,000 science points, which is a bit more of a jump down the tech tree than I really want to make right now... so I'll just deliver it straight to ground. (Thought I'd rescaled the GEP science returns to not be worth much more than the familiar GPP planets...)

Problem; the Beli Rumbler really can't land on Gael. We shall need a crew delivery mechanism, one with at least 6 passenger seats. Smells like spaceplane!

Also I am once again incredibly grateful for Bon Voyage letting me autopilot the entire return journey and avoid several real-time hours of rover driving.

Edited by eddiew

Last night, after verifying that my RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia save is still working (though it was broken yesterday, couldn't find MechJeb), I spent my play time learning more about procedural parts and building an Aerobee 350 analog -- cluster of four AJ10-27 engines, on a thrust plate, inside a boattail/shroud, a tank, a guidance unit, an interstage adapter.  Bottom booster a cluster of six of the boosters I've used for the Aerobee 300 analog (because for some reason there's no Nike equivalent SRM in the lower tiers of the RP-1 tech tree), top stage the same Aerobee 300 analog, with some additional science instruments added.  Pictures coming up; still got some tweaking to do (ullage motors, or hot stage? and add action groups for the science, and tool parts on the assumption I'll launch several of these).

This won't get me to the 5000 m/s "World's First" (only has about 4800 m/s without accounting for gravity losses), but might possibly reach the 2000 km altitude record, and it can carry (without modifying any existing tooled parts) 77 units of Sounding Payload, plus its own science instruments.  Later, I might cobble up heavier booster (I'm done with the A-4, "the remaining parts have begun to deteriorate") to chase that 5000 m/s, or I might step up to the Redstone/Juno/Jupiter class and start launching Kerbals.