What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Yesterday, I was working on some contracts, and I found this rescue contract for Kerbin Orbit.

zrOkwFd.png

Why do you even make an orbit that intersects the Mun's orbit so many times? The pod got 3 Mun encounters, and was in a retrogade orbit too. Heck, even I got 2 Mun encounters, trying to get an encounter.

Eventually, Edeny's pod crashed into the Mun.

Now What am I supposed to so with that?

I also made a SSTO, the Tennessine.

Today however, I landed my Grand Tour craft, KSS Hypernova on the Mun!

It took the most intense suicide burn of my life and I ran out fuel around the 25m/s mark, which meant I had to tumble a lot. Thank god for Landing gear. 

And, I so landed precariously, that I not only ran out of fuel, I also ran out of Monoprop trying to stabilize the ship.

2chzc2.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Also, I had this contract for rescuing a Kerbal stranded in Solar orbit, which was about 2.4 million KM from the sun, so I made this to get her.

U4CrVnV.png

Is this overengineered? Maybe. But If have stuff left, I'm going for Low Solar Orbit science. 

Edited by Xurkitree

14 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

Also, I had this contract for rescuing a Kerbal stranded in Solar orbit, which was about 2.4 million KM from the sun, so I made this to get her.

U4CrVnV.png

Is this overengineered? Maybe. But If have stuff left, I'm going for Low Solar Orbit science. 

I think you might have a few too many nuke engines for how little the craft weighs. They're more of a "use as few as you can get away with" sort of engine as far as I know unless you're unable to match the thrust required to change your velocity in time to successfully pull off the maneuver you plan to attempt.

Slap me in my dumb little face if I'm incorrect about this, however. ;3

Edited by MisterKerman

Tried making a small airplane today. And by small I mean size 0. This was the first iteration:

SbPjCt4.png

sxFUdaT.png

And somehow I managed to get Jeb to clip into the runway ground... TWICE!

UVF05xf.png

He doesn't seem to have a problem with it, though...

IxP6if8.png

Anyways, the craft had some problems, so I had to redesign some parts. This second interation works slightly better, but it can't land, so I have to use parachutes to touch the ground safely.

TzAszdK.png

Qe16a4s.png

Other than that I fixed my SSTO! slightly...

poKDtUr.png

In orbit it had around 309m/s of dV left, so it's pretty much useless. It also becomes rather uncontrollable during reentry because the CoM seems to move behind the CoL as it burns fuel. It pitches up so badly that even with RCS it's barely stable.

To my own surprise, not only did I manage to land this... thing, I managed to land it in one piece on the first attempt!

bfuoJdl.png

Today I decided to make a replica of the GP7000 turbofan. It was a lot of work but turned out super well!

YHn1aSO.jpg

hE7BTeZ.jpg

Did I mention that the turbine spins? Well it does, it essentially functions as a turboshaft since it is powered by a few juno's. Happy now @Kebab Kerman?  :)

giphy.gif

Here's a download link for those who are interested: https://kerbalx.com/Kronus_Aerospace/GP7000

On 6/17/2018 at 2:19 PM, qzgy said:

You use an external host like imgur and directly link the image. Imgur is very popular (I personally use it.) and has an option for sharing when you upload images to it. You want to use the direct link (usually ended by a .png r other file format). The software should auto embed the images. I hope that sorta helps?

Thanks! Now I need to create an imgur account...

I went back to my 1.3.1 game and added EVE because I wanted to see KSP with clouds.  I wish I had added it a long time ago

Jeb's first sub-orbital launch at dusk:

r0z3sz3.png?2

Jeb & Kelrik cruising over to the island airfield for an anomaly contract:

mVpKbdL.png?2

Kelrik admiring the sunrise from the island control tower.

JQ7eqbl.png?1

Well, didn't get too much time to play. Went for building a simple ssto spaceplane with mk2 parts. After a few attempts where the liftoff took my nerv behind, although I verified I could just about achieve orbit with the rapiers, I verified I could achieve orbit with the design although only had about 80 dv left.

Started a redesign of it so that it can be a little more useful. Also started work on a crazy ssto space plane design I came up with at work last night. Still need to work on the rear gear placement along with having enough engines to support its bulk which means I also need to add more fuel and down the spiral it goes, again.

Designed a new spacecraft, the "Nova Heavy". The ship is basically a versatile spacecraft which could land crew on both Iota & Ceti, and is quite a bit cheaper than our previous designs :funds:240,000 vs :funds:400,000.

Obviously the first test was unmanned, and did a test Iota landing & return

HfURFH1.png

7tEIt7o.png

Spoiler: The mission succeeded. 

XHnncSH.png

Edited by Steeeeve

Sooo... My Eve lander is capable of landing.  Got that part worked out.   It's the returning thing that I need to work on.  And that will require a total redesign of the lander. 

But... What if the kerbals don't have to return just yet?    What If I land them this launch window, and then once I figure out how to space, I go back and get them??   Surprisingly, the crew had mixed emotions on this. 

Early test of 'The Rumbler', Long Term Eve mobile Base:

V7Ok14i.png

Holds a bunch of Kerbals, crew will be 3 or 4, depending on how my scientists I want to sacrifice send.  ISRU in place to refuel the lander if when it arrives.   Later versions have a fuel cell and tanks.  MK3 science lab, greenhouse for LS, waste recycler, High visibility drivers seat (left side).    Note the number of wheels.  16.  Remember that number. 

First Eve entry test:

JB6hg8x.png

A bit of tumbling occurred.  And burning.   There was lots of burning.   And quite a bit of associated screaming, but that will get scrubbed from the public record.   Remember that number?  Now count.  5.    5 wheels made it.     It's now not so much a mobile base, but a uncomfortably tilted semi fixed base that has a tendency to slide down hills... very slowly. 

But, everything else went great!  While yes I did burn off 11 wheels and the main fixed solar panels, the missions was a successful failure, in that about 90% of my tests passed!

K7GE7zh.png

Remember how I said it has a tendency to slowly slide down hills?  The summit of that hill is maybe 100m above, and the bottom of this very slight grade is about 5-7 linear km away.  A couple hours passed of trying to stop the thing from sliding down the hill at .8 m/s, I could kinda steer, but not really.  5/16 wheels makes that difficult, especially in that arrangement and 4 of them broke.   I gave up and went to bed.   Got up, saw it was close, went to work, got home, and there it was, at the bottom of the hill.  Everything else seems to work, just need to work on the balance issues during entry. 

Upon discovery that there is not a single pilot left at KSC and none of the vessels currently in flight have re-entry capability, mission control requests that the engineering team build a spaceplane to retrieve the crew of the Beli Rumbler under remote guidance.

nMSii3K.jpg

Which works surprisingly well. Fully loaded, the wing area is pretty miserly and the takeoff speed is over 110m/s, but once in flight it handles well and Squiblet reaches orbit with about 1100m/s left on the aerospikes.

Upon undocking, it is realised that the Beli Rumbler has no probe core aboard... oh well, probably won't see that one again then.

Re-entry proves that Squiblet is stable and sturdy, but draggier than expected, falling short of the runway and needing several minutes on jets to come to a proper touchdown. At least there's enough wing to support Squiblet's dry mass comfortably.

Total science haul from the Belisama expedition: 7800. Quite glad I didn't send that through the lab because it would have completed a whole tier of tech tree I'm not ready to complete yet! Might review my node costs and punch up the back end even higher than it is...

Edited by eddiew

@Kebab Kerman If you can't fix the issue you could try starting with a clean install, you can copy all your save files so you don't lose anything and redownload all your mods. It would be a time consuming process, but if you haven't been able to figure out the issue yet it might be your best choice.

Or you could temporarily get rid of all your mods of you haven't done that yet and see if that fixes it, maybe then reinstall the mods one at a time until you figure out which one is causing the issue. Presuming that it is one of your mods that is the problem of course, that may not be the case.