What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Copying KSP into 4 separated folders, each with their own specialization: Aircraft, Space exploration, War machines, Watercraft. I did it because I'm using a crapton of mods and my computer isn't powerful enough to handle all of it, so I divide the mods into 4 categories above and use them on different KSP folder

Noticed a random high inclination orbit line zip through and intersect Kerbin.  Somehow a C class asteroid had escaped detection and was 6 days from impact just north of the equator.

Slapped together a cute little nuclear tug to corral and direct it.  Turned out to be the lime favored Magic Boulder.   Some 47m/s were all that it needed to raise the PE to 100km settled on a nice 300x300 polar orbit, neatened up to 90 degrees.

Arriving to capture with plenty of fuel remaining from the rocket's upper stage:

opYtGKS.jpg

Using the nuclear tug for most of the adjustments:

MfgILXw.jpg

4 hours ago, ARS said:

Copying KSP into 4 separated folders, each with their own specialization: Aircraft, Space exploration, War machines, Watercraft. I did it because I'm using a crapton of mods and my computer isn't powerful enough to handle all of it, so I divide the mods into 4 categories above and use them on different KSP folder

I've done something similar with multiple copies to test out different mod setups, plus keeping a totally stock copy in case I mess something up.  Again. :D

Last night my first Duna probes arrived in my current career.  A Pioneer probe passing Duna's south pole:

mFoOECW.png?2

Edited by Cavscout74

Spin Stabilized Emergency Drag Procedure

Started a new career mode, and needing some money, I decided to run a tourist mission. Didn't have anything on hand to carry multiple kerbals around Mun, so I took the rocket from my orbital science mission, swapped out the science gear for some 1.5m passenger modules (carrying 4 kerbals), and moved the heat sheild to the bottom. That was easy.

Thing is...this made the re-entry stage much more aerodynamic. Dangerously so. "Simulations" projected that by the time I reached sea level, I would still be movoing at more than 1 km/s. The thing just wouldn't slow down. 3 aerobraking trips through the middle atmosphere later and I was still going to come in way too hot to ever deploy my parachutes. The only time I ever really decelerated was when the SAS system lost a fight with physics and the whole thing spun around to go nose first. Sadly, the SAS wasn't nearly powerful enough to maintain a high enough angle of attack to maintain significant drag. Or was it?

In a last ditch 'pulling my hair out' effort to salvage the mission (since I was looking at a very real threat of bankruptcy here), my re-entry stage started to spin a bit, like a propeller (that orientation). Siezing my last chance at pulling this off, and knowing that my power was almost out, I spent the ships precious remaining units of electricity putting it into a ferocious spin that would hold the ship sideways in the air, preventing a fatal slip into a nose fore or aft attitude.

Sadly, the screenshot doesn't do it justice, since it naturally grabs a single frame. Understand that the reason the parts are seperated in the picture is because it was spinning that fast. Like, maybe 300-600 RPM fast. I almost vomited watching it.

sxor4g.jpg

Again. Those parts are separating because of it's spinning like a propeller around the center module.

Somehow the physics managed to prevent what to me looked like a translucent disk of insanity from flying apart. To my dismay, the initial deployment of the parachute (nose) and drogue chutes (middle) didn't stop the spinning. Nor did the spinning stop when the drogue chutes fully opened at 2500m. Now I was very worried that I was still going to be spinning on impact, everyone would die, and my space program would go under. But, to my relief, when the parachute finally opened the spinning did start to slow, and eventually stop, and the whole thing touched down safely in the water at just under 10 m/s.

I will not be using that particular design again. But I am very happy knowing that this incredibly stupid design pulled off what will surely be the most Kerbal landing I will ever have (I think this was even more Kerbal than that time I de-orbited with a Kerbal riding on a ladder because I didn't have enough space for everyone).

Edited by Randox

I should be more carefully, even in my sandbox save...scared myself to death :wacko:

The debris I crashed into is the lower stage of the same rocket. I separated the stage after my circularization burn since this is my sandbox game to test stuff and I don't care about debris...well, from today, I will...

Also, I've finished the Newbie Challenge #8 :) 

So I sent 3 freshly rescued kerbonauts on a routine training mission to Minmus.  Had a routine launch, followed by a routine transfer, followed by a routine landing on the greater flats.  Then my idiot pilot pressed the "decouple" switch while trying to make a crew report.  As it turns out, the Pomegranate pod was down to 9 days of snacks for the 3-man crew - a slight oversight on my part since that was cutting it kinda close to begin with.  Immediately launched a rescue mission with a 5-seat lander flown by Jeb with Kelrik on board for engineering duties.  Landed on Minmus with 3 snacks remaining on the stranded pod. 

Umm, KSC, we have a problem.......

oMBR5a2.png?2

pOgGnUW.png?2

On approach to landing.  I had to play with Imgur's image tools to get the snack text readable in the screenshot, the red text did not show well.

o6KPZCf.png?2

Made it with minutes to spare:

vrBsZ6z.png?2

Today I got a brief amount of time to work on early career - I got outside the atmosphere with my SR-1 Sparrow sounding rocket, so although I've got another SR-1 being constructed I put some work into scaling up the concept into hopefully an orbit capable satellite.

screenshot7_zpsodukmyu0.png

Simulations showed that instability sets in shortly after second stage ignition. I'm worried about adding more mass (fins) and losing my margin to get to orbit (if it's even there.)

screenshot5_zpslht2oiqx.png

screenshot4_zpslhkr0buh.png

screenshot6_zpszivkmlr1.png

I also added finishing touches to my first manned aircraft, the KA-1 Mongoose. Should be ready to fly in two weeks.

screenshot9_zps94nszggz.png

screenshot8_zps7tmkhagf.png

This should work fine, I've tested it previously and added ailerons so we'll be slipping the surly bonds of Kerbin soon enough.

So, been a while since I posted, been a bit busy with other things. That being said, I'm about to launch this thing into space, destination the Mun station. It will form one of 2 structural bars at this end of the station. Between the two bars will be the monstrously huge Mercury centrifuges, 2 of them. Hopefully if i do this right I can multi-dock it together and make a nice chunky square orbiting the Mun. At 723k cash and 1028 tons its definitely one of the more expensive single launches I've done. I also usually launch these crossbars sideways.

WwTrNvl.jpg

EDIT: Launch was successful, but getting through Max-Q was a bit hairy. Something this big, and unshielded at that, flies with all the grace of a dead pig.

Edited by Cyrious

Today I spent quite some time working on the wing of my A380 replica, and WHOOBOI has this turned out to be a massive time sink!

7Q4KvF9.jpg

The bottom portion of the wing is nearly complete, just a few more parts left to add. I'm very happy with how smooth and realistic this wing is turning out so far!

Unfortunately there is still the top portion of the wing left to complete, that's the price you pay for trying to replicate the thickness of real aircraft wings, you automatically double the workload.

fId8Yp4.jpg

This craft is turning out to be an exhausting project. :confused:

BUUUUT that's something I should have expected to be honest.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

In the process of docking now, just wanna say that manhandling 80+ tons of metal and propellant around on just 16 RCS blocks sucks.

Edit: Docking complete! Station now masses 140 tons.

shUv0Eb.png

To the left is the initial station module. Contains basic crew space, some oversize cupolas, and the food (no life support mods added) pods. Middle section is for station science labs and cyclotrons. Thats about 200 tons by itself. To the right is the freshly added expansion bar, which also comes with a Science Lab for surface and orbital samples. The crossbar is going to play host to 2 massive centrifuges, the other ends of which will be secured with another bar. The far left next to the station module is going to eventually host fuel processing hardware and storage. By the time this whole thing is done I expect it to clock in at a respectable 500 tons.

Edited by Cyrious

Had a bit of a sleepless night last night. Some time during that stretch, I made this... thing...

5Uwct87.png

Spoiler

Which today, having regained some of my senses, was morphed into this... thing...

u4QZiIj.png

Usually I hate it when I make spaceplanes, but this one actually looks pretty bad-S if I do say so myself. Kerbal Flying Saucers and SABR3 Sterling parts there.
*Pokes @JadeOfMaar and @Angel-125 with a stick* stickpoke.gif

Despite some... er... rather pronounced stability issues after switching mode on the ridiculously oversized engines, it manages to claw its way into space, kicking and screaming the whole way.

ANh3I6t.png

Or maybe that was just Kelvin.
Kelvin Kerman back again, this time bringing Val for good luck. Might be working.

The bottom disc is a drop tank full of LiquidFuel. Needs every drop.

NuQPnTg.png

Finally, a circularizing burn... and we've made orbit! With a bit of fuel to spare, even, thanks to the SABR3's oxidizer-summoning intercoolers.

KGQVrWi.png

The upper disc is a cargo module, that may one day allow useful payloads to be carried along.

cEDH9rN.png

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:
It, too, is jettisoned before re-entry. Which can only go badly. Hopefully spectacularly badly, at least it'll be entertaining.

Going well so far...
oaI1zFd.png

Chin up, guys. Cuz, like, you'll burn up and die horribly if you don't.

Just have to make it over those mountains...

OjlbrW9.png

Why do I have this strange feeling of deja-vu? 

Almost there...

Sfg24Ng.png

Ladies and gentlekerbs, at this time we've begun our final descent into the Kerbal Space Center. Please secure all seat backs and tray tables in their full upright and locked positions, put your head between your knees, and kiss your S goodbye.

tBLSRfb.png

And given Kerbal anatomy, that would be an accomplishment in itself...

Aaaallllmost there...

Bh2GRpC.png

Whatever you do, don't just impact on the surface!

It... worked...?

B9RPAvB.png

How about that, it actually worked! It landed in one piece! Except for those pieces it wasn't supposed to land with. Maybe Val really is a good luck charm. Or she just likes to watch Kelvin kick and scream.

But I didn't even get to test the abort system.

Keep your seatbelt on, Kelvin...
Val, you're free to go. But you might want to stick around for this.

Back into the skies to crash horribly!

Ilhe3AZ.png

Oddly enough, this bit worked too...

ZlkfFRb.png

...and the plane just kept on flying, unpowered. Made a complete U and almost made it back to the runway, even. Poor thing.

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

I finally (and very easily) did that thing that Mk2 Stockalike Expansion does, but using B9 Part Switch and to all of the stock tank parts (including the Big S wings).

unknown.png

unknown.png

And especially, I did this. My Skylon plane needs this so badly... I should raise the heat cap on it too, maybe, actually.

unknown.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Am still trying to get a probe into orbit in my RO save (Mid 1955 ATM)

was basically my first try with RP-0, and test flight has made it especially tough (AKA realistic)

I finally had a successful simulation of getting a probe into orbit (and a bit extra topping out at 8km/s), but was met with 2 failures in actual launches. Currently I am onto Intrepid 4 (With 1-3 being failures), and I will post a picture once I finally get to orbit!

EDIT: I DID IT! While this achievement is probably pretty weak compared to what there is to be done in RO/RP-O, I was so hyped to be doing this, after 5+ prototypes of orbital spacecraft & at least 10 or 15 hours from the start to getting into orbit, I have finally done it.

On July 2nd, 1955, Intrepid IV became the first spacecraft to enter Earth Orbit

gpsWJEF.png

Edited by Steeeeve

13 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

Landing at the pyramids without losing any parts?  Must be black magic.

I find landing there is pretty easy, the ground is flat.

Just come in with 60 m/s and you'll be fine. :cool:

zWENuUT.png