What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Sweet! I love the way that works. Are the bubbles part of a custom animation, or does KSP just do that underwater? Great sound effects, too.

Is this a full release, or is it still WIP/dev right now?

It's all custom effects and sounds. I'm fixing bugs at the moment but hope to have the new Buffalo release, where these parts reside, sometime next week.

It's been a few days since I've posted anything and my career has been advancing steadily. 

First, I placed a small and very delayed base on Minmus.  I had the contract for several years, just kept putting it off.  Holds 5, with snacks for several months & limited ISRU capability.

sm2TNAg.png?2

Then I placed a new advanced Moho lander near the equator for a nice pile of science:

hM1svQ0.png?2

The first of my unmanned probes have started arriving around Jool.

Laythe atmospheric sampler arriving in orbit.  I haven't actually landed it yet since every time I switch to Laythe, all of the land vaguely close to it's orbit is always on the night side.

lrdJfrf.png?2

And Jooldiver arrived & made its fatal plunge:

Entry:

0mtG227.png?2

Deep in Jool's atmosphere, shortly before being crushed:

upGoN7b.png?2

And my manned Duna mission finally bid the red planet farewell & departed for home.  Jeb let Val drive this time. 

wWnFNeR.png?2

I finished off my KSP day scrambling to get the next round of Duna flights ready for the transfer window that snuck up on me.  I already launched a small base (similar to Minmus base) & a reusable fuel tanker.  With my self-imposed time restrictions, I can only get 2 more large launches off before the transfer window.  One is going to be the new long range (9k+ dV) crew cycler, and the other is probably going to be a Feline rover.

I also got a few nice shots when visiting existing craft for science contracts that I thought worth sharing as well:

Duna from Ike:

XwsOVC6.png?2

Sunrise over Moho:

5XpOB1i.png?2

Edited by Cavscout74

In my early 1.4.5 career game, I made a new plane with the latest in engine technology. It sports two J-33 Wheesley turbofans. The part count is high (29) leaving only one spot for science but, it only weighs in at 15t. Not the most practical thing for an early career but, I am in it more for the fun.

A3C4570E8950C8CBA997295988902145616A3080

I can't wait until some kerbal invents the panther engine and airbrakes.

Today I'm fiddling around with a plugin that lets you control collisions between parts on your vessel, plus unlocking joints! I think it could be useful in some normal game situations (like stopping parts from going through a cargo bay), and building odd contraptions. 

On 8/3/2018 at 3:30 PM, Kronus_Aerospace said:

At this point I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to top this, mainly because I've run out of large aircraft to build.

Did you already made the Spruce Goose? :-)

Landed the first Kerbals on Dres (on two separate landers) as part of the Project DIVA F (Designing Interplanetary Vehicle Architecture - Fission propulsion) mission. A Dresteroid was also mined to refuel the Negi Maru mothership.

P19QQ2J.png

094WH8F.png

2qNiW8R.png

J8GR5Wz.png

Edited by Pipcard

3 hours ago, Pipcard said:

Landed the first Kerbals on Dres (on two separate landers) as part of the Project DIVA F (Designing Interplanetary Vehicle Architecture - Fission propulsion) mission. A Dresteroid was also mined to refuel the Negi Maru mothership.

Clearly it's based from Miku's Leek :)

Meanwhile...

So... I thought I'm gonna make an improved version of my Surveyor Truck by adding a passenger cabin, just in case the crew feels lonely during long driving (And Jeb seems approved it :))

51hc4D0.png

XcIrQRc.png

It still retains all the science experiment capabilities from previous version (With modified electrical source), making it a great vehicle for doing science across multiple biome in a compact package

IG5sZql.png

Press 1 and... Deploy!

hHmRzoj.png

Let's do some science here...

qkDchGw.png

And here...

tNY3AKD.png

WHAT THE HELL!!!??

muqibIT.png

I don't know if the failure is in my design, in whatever the experiment being conducted or the Kraken is passing by :P

Edited by ARS

I enhanced my Minmus Space Station with an ore storing/processing module....

...and then, just out of no reason at all, built a really ugly electric rover to meticulously pick up tiny bits of leftover science around KSC.DsmY3ac.jpg
Later I thought I'd try to see if it can climb mountains....it Ken't! :/

hGX33M0.jpg

Edited by Stunkfish

I was feeling a bit nostalgic and found some old intake mods that still work well in KSP 1.4.4....

And the plane was inspired by a old real life fighter interceptor.....

And gave it a snazzy paint job....

And took it out for a joyride in the desert.....

Life is good.

mxdzK5Y.png

Edited by GDJ

today was a day to take a break from constantly crashing non-orbital SSTOs.  Instead, I buffed up my COMMSat network and got my first (in this playthrough) landing on the Mun!

iXlsFbI.png

.... OK 'landing' is a bit optimistic... it was the first Kerbal made object to touch the surface of the Mun... better? :P

So that makes four COMM sat nodes in orbit: one in geostationary orbit over KSC that acts as a primary relay directly to KSC, one in a polar orbit at around 1000km, one in orbit between Mun and Minimus, and one in orbit around Mun. Add in the Prospector Survey Satellite with attached short wave relays, and my Kerbin SOI comms network is complete! :D:D

I tried launching into a retrograde orbit because I wondered whether the coriolus effect was moving my boostback trajectory out of the bounds that my aerodynamic steering.

Partway through the launch I realized it was going over populated area... 

p8EOhGL.jpg

Seems legit...

Anyways... I can't tell if it was the rotation of Kerbin that was messing stuff up or not. The booster I was initially focused on fell short, as would make sense as the orbital velocity (and therefore hangtime in the upper atmosphere) would have been lower due to the boostback burn being set in surface frame of reference. 

V5drub7.jpg

But clearly that wasn't the problem because the other booster landed much closer to the pad.

azbiYB9.jpg

Which really doesn't make a lot of sense, because the boosters were about 500m apart (90% of which was horizontal) and traveling at nearly the same velocity after the boostback burns. Why would they get such different results?

ian-malcolm-cool-scientist.jpg

"A guy named Edward once said that chaos was 'When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future.'"

"Yah but control systems shouldn't exhibit chaos!"

"Life KSP, uh, finds a way."

"UUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!" :mad:

1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

But clearly that wasn't the problem because the other booster landed much closer to the pad.

Which really doesn't make a lot of sense, because the boosters were about 500m apart (90% of which was horizontal) and traveling at nearly the same velocity after the boostback burns. Why would they get such different results?

The boosters were 500 meters from each other in which axis? If one booster is 500 meters higher than the other, then both have the same angular velocity, but the higher one has a slightly bigger linear velocity and, so, will travel a bit further given the same deltaV. The slightly different drag on the atmosphere also could be influencing.

14 minutes ago, Lisias said:

The boosters were 500 meters from each other in which axis? If one booster is 500 meters higher than the other, then both have the same angular velocity, but the higher one has a slightly bigger linear velocity and, so, will travel a bit further given the same deltaV. The slightly different drag on the atmosphere also could be influencing.

Almost all of that 500m separation was in the horizontal axis, I'd say at most they had a 50m vertical height distance. Probably closer to 20.

Also, the boost-back burn is made as surface relative velocity. So theoretically they would have exactly the same linear velocity, but the upper one would have a slightly lower angular velocity. Although the surface relative velocity was probably different by some small fraction of a meter per second as the boostback velocity is based linearly distance from the landing pad, and the pads are 100m or so apart, and this was probably more significant in determining the angular velocity than the small difference in vertical height.

Come to think of it... the linear relation of boost-back velocity with distance from the pads is probably pretty bad and should be replaced with a different formula... not sure how to set that up though.

@Delay Probably... A rework of the boostback burn control might be in order. idk

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Today I tried my hand at RSS with @Nightside's awesome "Transmogrifier" patch. I cobbled together a probe lander with the essentials, put some big rockets under it, and launched it, to see what it could do. I landed one on the Moon and one on Mars! 

https://imgur.com/a/VnCI0AT

This is promising, as now I can start an RSS campaign without the load times requiring me to stand near a black hole for a few minutes each time.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Today I tried my hand at RSS with @Nightside's awesome "Transmogrifier" patch. I cobbled together a probe lander with the essentials, put some big rockets under it, and launched it, to see what it could do. I landed one on the Moon and one on Mars! 

https://imgur.com/a/VnCI0AT

This is promising, as now I can start an RSS campaign without the load times requiring me to stand near a black hole for a few minutes each time.

You're using regular KSP generic liquidfuel and oxidizer in RSS:0.0: I'm guessing the Transmogrifier patch must buff the stats and sizes of stock parts to have performance closer to real life?

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
OCD

41 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

You'tr using regular KSP generic liquidfuel and oxidizer in RSS:0.0: I'm guessing the Transmogrifier patch must buff the stats and sizes of stock parts to have performance closer to real life?

Yep, that's exactly what it does. 

20 hours ago, Red Thought said:

Today in KSP I realized that this game is unplayable.  Base game is boring and bugged,  modded attempts at this game have seemed promising but always end in frustration due to this bug or that. Maybe I will check back in, in a year or so.    

Have you tried Realism Overhaul?  You might get bored out of your mind during the longish "grinding sounding rocket contracts" period before you can launch to orbit, and yes, there are some bugs -- but it's so much MORE than the stock game.  Eight planets (remember, Pluto got demoted?), dozens of moons, a number of asteroids (a few of which actually have gravity).  It's a real challenge to launch a small satellite with ethanol-burning engines, or even with the early kerosene burners.  Getting a crewed mission to the Moon is a really, really big deal (far more so than in the stock game -- for a start, you need something like four times the dV to get to orbit, and almost five times as much from LEO to Moon impact vs. LKO to Mun impact).  Life support, Flight Test (which makes engines fail occasionally, but less so the more of them you fly), Kerbal Construction Time so it takes months to build a sounding rocket at first -- if you can launch to orbit before 1958 in Hard mode in RO, you're a better manager than I am...

24 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Have you tried Realism Overhaul?  You might get bored out of your mind during the longish "grinding sounding rocket contracts" period before you can launch to orbit, and yes, there are some bugs -- but it's so much MORE than the stock game.  Eight planets (remember, Pluto got demoted?), dozens of moons, a number of asteroids (a few of which actually have gravity).  It's a real challenge to launch a small satellite with ethanol-burning engines, or even with the early kerosene burners.  Getting a crewed mission to the Moon is a really, really big deal (far more so than in the stock game -- for a start, you need something like four times the dV to get to orbit, and almost five times as much from LEO to Moon impact vs. LKO to Mun impact).  Life support, Flight Test (which makes engines fail occasionally, but less so the more of them you fly), Kerbal Construction Time so it takes months to build a sounding rocket at first -- if you can launch to orbit before 1958 in Hard mode in RO, you're a better manager than I am...

I cant get mods to work in this game, some thing always breaks and my save file gets corrupted.  generally same bugs over and over, squad can fix them.