What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

<snip>

You just know there’s some arcane rituals involved at some point. And incantations. Lots of incantations. And possibly a blood sacrifice... <_<

@Delay

lol ok I suppose I can clean some stuff up in the script and share it so anyone who might want can take a looksee :) 

Note that currently the script is not set up to even attempt to land the center core. I figure I should get the boosters to land before bothering with the core and its significantly higher separation velocity, which requires an entirely new addition to the script: an entry/braking burn.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

25 minutes ago, Red Thought said:

I cant get mods to work in this game, some thing always breaks and my save file gets corrupted.  generally same bugs over and over, squad can fix them.  

I've got 100% stock science and career saves that were started in 1.2.2 and now run in 1.4.3.  I also had trouble with mods not working the first time I set up RO, but I went back to @Bornholio's Golden Spreadsheet and installed in the order shown, and (aside from a few minor bugs like crewed missions setting records much higher/faster than the crew actually went) the game plays well.  You have to install 1.3.1 for RO to work at present, but that's a step forward from 1.2.2, and if you bought the game from Squad/Take Two or Good Old Games, you should be able to download older versions at no additional cost (not sure how or if you'd do that with Steam, sorry).

Made a successful launch of the first crew cycler in this career.  Due to the Duna window sneaking up on me, I decided to break one of my normal rules & put a 3-man crew on board for launch despite the lack of an escape system.  Happily Kerbal Launch Failure decided not to kick in on this launch & everything made it to orbit that was supposed to.

Morning launch over the ocean:

YPBjB91.png?2

Coasting to Ap after jettisoning the fairing & nosecone

SYPs40u.png?2

Safely in orbit.  With the greenhouse & recycling, the crew should have snacks for nearly 5 years without resupply, and enough fuel for ~9300 m/s dV

Hc4OHPd.png?2

I also had my Vall relay & lander vehicle arrive in orbit:

W5X7U8q.png?2

And just barely had time to put the lander on the surface:

TtzHhjS.png?2

With all the science from the Vall probe I was able to unlock the rest of the aviation section of the tree, so my favorite rapier-powered spaceplanes will soon be operational.

4 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

You're using regular KSP generic liquidfuel and oxidizer in RSS:0.0: I'm guessing the Transmogrifier patch must buff the stats and sizes of stock parts to have performance closer to real life?

That’s exactly right (with a little help from SMURFF). The idea is to blend the ease of stock rocket building with giant (real) size rockets. 

Glad you are enjoying it @cubinator!

44 minutes ago, Nightside said:

That’s exactly right (with a little help from SMURFF). The idea is to blend the ease of stock rocket building with giant (real) size rockets. 

Glad you are enjoying it @cubinator

Cool! I am thinking of getting back into RSS/RO after I finish some projects in stock. Not sure if I'll use Transmogifiier for my career game, but I'll definitely give the mod a whirl. Should be interesting to see what I can come up with! :)

Not in KSP, but ended up showing ksp videos in a meeting discussing my grad project with my professor. 

It almost felt weird, watching gaming videos in an architecture office, but not really given the nature of the project. 

Still, it's cool to think that the hours I spend in this game are now having an academic bonus effect. 

I've been trying some odd looking designs in ksp last week, though i must say it was so exhausting that at the end i stopped most of them at %90 and enjoyed flight to space.

Hy5cZE5I.png

Hy5f2oX.png

Hy5fpwj.png

Hy5fR9y.png

Can you guess which planes are these?

1 hour ago, qromodynmc said:

I've been trying some odd looking designs in ksp last week, though i must say it was so exhausting that at the end i stopped most of them at %90 and enjoyed flight to space.

<snippity snip snip>

Can you guess which planes are these?

First one is McDonnell "Moonbat" prototype interceptor.

Second one is the Handley Page Victor strategic bomber.

Third one is Curtiss-Wright Ascender  prototype fighter.

Fourth one's the Avro Vulcan strategic bomber.

:) 

Nelbas Kerman was finally rescued by Mount Treacherous following the use of the 15/25 to land in the treacherous terrain there, with some careful flying the 10 ton plane was able to land. For takeoff it was a simple matter of engaging full engine power and immediately pitching up to get the light aircraft into the air as soon as possible.

iC07pOH.png
The damaged '32' on the left and the '15/25' on the right

The flight home to the Dessert Airfield and the subsequent landing.
vQ5vh1f.png
vqtAi2M.png

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

First one is McDonnell "Moonbat" prototype interceptor.

Second one is the Handley Page Victor strategic bomber.

Third one is Curtiss-Wright Ascender  prototype fighter.

Fourth one's the Avro Vulcan strategic bomber.

:) 

All except third is correct, it was supposed to be J7w1 :)55e3fc96f73a11502e869d4fa3af4ad9.jpg

29 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

I would really like that planes' rear landing gear in KSP. The gear not the airplane-equivalent-to-wheelie-bars wheels on the very back.

Covered landing gear like this right? They look quite sexy.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

Finished work on a little cinematic showcasing my new 1:1 stock N1-L3 moon rocket replica. It still requires some detailing but the shape and overall functionality is there and it passed flight tests admirably.

It's a part of a bigger project of mine currently unwinding on reddit but I'll elaborate on that when it's done.

o6ytdNj.png

2 hours ago, EvenFlow said:

Finished work on a little cinematic showcasing my new 1:1 stock N1-L3 moon rocket replica. It still requires some detailing but the shape and overall functionality is there and it passed flight tests admirably.

It's a part of a bigger project of mine currently unwinding on reddit but I'll elaborate on that when it's done.

<snip>

And then it exploded right?
:wink:

Nice work though :)

Still working on the comm network today. Night launches so no pictures. Only two more to go, but the network is pretty robust already - I was able to fly this guy on a Mun flyby:

screenshot37_zpsbhdpadq5.png

And it worked out such that with one more maneuver RO-1 should encounter Minmus, in about 20 days or so, and still have enough dV for disposal.

I also worked on designing a long-haul survey aircraft, designated XKA-2 Ocelot:

screenshot38_zpscqwifuan.png

The first hiccup was part count - I had to strip communications, science, and telemetry equipment, and two pairs of control surfaces to get it to 30 parts. The stripped down experimental version is what Val took for a ride in the sim.

screenshot39_zpsqqpg68jn.png

My aim was an easy sailplane/flying wing style cruise aircraft, and although it flies easily and has long range, I was hoping for a higher max altitude for certain survey contracts. The Wheesley engines just don't have the oomph to get it above about 12,000 m, 6,000 m short of target. Once I can get some higher performance engines and upgrade the hangar for higher part count, I expect it to be useful for long-range biome science and survey contracts.